Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge June 2014 (20)

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone have updates on the Halo Fusion Coil? I'm interested on the different takes on it. :)

What is it that you're having trouble with?
  • Dobbler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Gonna hop on this challenge. I've been needing to step my 3D way up and this seems like the perfect concept to tackle some of my shortcomings without being too intimidating. Primary goals will be to improve my junky texturing skills and solve the mystery that is normal map baking in Modo.

Got a few hi poly props done today, crit the crap out of them please :)

VtRAZum.jpg

tbE4zMc.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Dobbler wrote: »
    Gonna hop on this challenge. I've been needing to step my 3D way up and this seems like the perfect concept to tackle some of my shortcomings without being too intimidating. Primary goals will be to improve my junky texturing skills and solve the mystery that is normal map baking in Modo.

Got a few hi poly props done today, crit the crap out of them please :)

VtRAZum.jpg

tbE4zMc.jpg

Nice Fire Extinguisher. As for the lockers, a couple things. 1) How do you open them? 2) Unless I'm looking at it wrong, it looks like you made four round bumps at the top and bottom instead of ventilation slits. Those shapes are usual open to ventilate air in and out of the locker, otherwise there's no need for them. :)
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    05-5.jpg

Night#6 so far. Never mind the floating box on the second shelf :poly124:. I had a much slower time with these shelf pieces because I wasn't as sure about what I was making. That usually determines how fast and confidently I can model.

About the question of how to display the model, I'm really not thinking about it much while showing WIPs. These are just basic skylight shots. My final high poly model pieces will be done like this tutorial (found on the wiki page Breakneck posted earlier):

http://www.artemstudios.com/2010/tutorials/material/MaterialRenderingTut.htm
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    @Dobbler I would bevel this outer edge (red) more it's a bit too sharp for baking purposes. Also, it's difficult to tell, but you may need to scale the inner edge (green) in more to avoid a sharp 45 degree angle and allow more baking information to be baked on to your normal map when that time comes. :)

hiBk963.jpg
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siraniks polycounter lvl 10
    fonfa wrote: »
    One more!

bunker_preview_07.jpg

wow your fast, how many objects do you work in a day?

here's my update, lights :D

props_lights.png
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ziosnarf polycounter lvl 9
    Hi,
    I don't know if i arrive to finish this challenge but I try...
    Here buttons assets.
    I have done other asset (tv, lockers, box), but typology of my object are creepy.
    104fbd122f7832a57b1ecf4f62499334.jpg
  • Rafelious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question, I thought I'd give that perspective matching and camera mapping a go since I've never used it before, however, I've ran into a problem. I've got the concept art into the background and the perspective matching/camera setup fine but when I do the camera map the texture thats projected is stretched, almost like it's using a different aspect ratio than the image in the background. Any ideas?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ siraniks and fonfa: Good work on those models.

07-4.jpg
    06-3.jpg

Night#7. The floor was already done, I simply never posted it earlier. My production rate is slowing down for sure, which I suppose is natural.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    i will start with some props too , here is the first one :

sTVxlUr.jpg
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update, pipes, sprinklers, ceiling stuff
    some are just lowpoly because they're small ...

props_pipes-overallscene.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    i will start with some props too , here is the first one :

sTVxlUr.jpg

This is very ... believable.

This question is for anyone: How do you reference this stuff? I gathered several references together and shared most of them. I use the concept art a lot but when I have question that can be answered by real life references, then I will deviate from the concept. Either way, you simply can't see every nook and cranny of detail in even the best concepts. You will have to fill some blanks in yourself. Saying that, there simply isn't an easy answer to the problem because I don't know exactly what all these boxes on the shelf are called to look them up. I can guess that one is a reel-to-reel player, guess that they are maybe radio controls, communicators, recorders, power boxes of some sort, etc. I can't know that it's an XYZ model abc from the year 19xx to look it up through Google and see the details. So I guess, placing chamfer boxes and cylinders all over, hoping that the painting will mimic the feel of the concept. I also need to consider how much time I have to model things that will barely be seen at all in my portfolio. Someone just made sprinklers and I'm thinking ... "Sprinklers?! I never even thought of that!" Did you actually see sprinkler up there, or simpler know enough about old military bunkers to place them there? I see wires/pipes and stuff holding them up. I spent several hours over several days looking up references ... never thought of sprinklers ... or the style of knobs and switches in this pic above. I'm thinking, 1 week for the high poly, 1 week for low poly and UVs, 1 week for the bakes (that the question mark) and 1 week for painting/lighting will fill the month out ... IF I can pull it off.

Do I make sense?
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is very ... believable.

This question is for anyone: How do you reference this stuff? I gathered several references together and shared most of them. I use the concept art a lot but when I have question that can be answered by real life references, then I will deviate from the concept. Either way, you simply can't see every nook and cranny of detail in even the best concepts. You will have to fill some blanks in yourself. Saying that, there simply isn't an easy answer to the problem because I don't know exactly what all these boxes on the shelf are called to look them up. I can guess that one is a reel-to-reel player, guess that they are maybe radio controls, communicators, recorders, power boxes of some sort, etc. I can't know that it's an XYZ model abc from the year 19xx to look it up through Google and see the details. So I guess, placing chamfer boxes and cylinders all over, hoping that the painting will mimic the feel of the concept. I also need to consider how much time I have to model things that will barely be seen at all in my portfolio. Someone just made sprinklers and I'm thinking ... "Sprinklers?! I never even thought of that!" Did you actually see sprinkler up there, or simpler know enough about old military bunkers to place them there? I see wires/pipes and stuff holding them up. I spent several hours over several days looking up references ... never thought of sprinklers ... or the style of knobs and switches in this pic above. I'm thinking, 1 week for the high poly, 1 week for low poly and UVs, 1 week for the bakes (that the question mark) and 1 week for painting/lighting will fill the month out ... IF I can pull it off.

Do I make sense?

how about this one ...

sprinklers.jpg

isn't that a sprinkler with no crown, I just followed the references from that since I don't see any references about sprinklers with no crown ... at the first place I didn't find any vintage equipments references so I ask my friend about what are those vintage equipments and he answered "SSB Radio" ... and that along the way found all those equipments :)

I have been trouble modelling the ceiling stuff and most of all the dimension of room / ceiling and walls but the floor is correct ... and I just deviate or mirrored the room so it is equally symmetrical ...

even the comm panel, from "candlestick phone" to "receiver" i can't find any reference exactly to the one with the concept and that's the time you will deviate from that concept :D
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siraniks wrote: »
    how about this one ...

sprinklers.jpg

I see it now that those certainly could be sprinklers ... I honestly couldn't tell what it was. Either way, what you did works. Thanks for the input. Now I need to figure out how to model the gas mask ...
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see it now that those certainly could be sprinklers ... I honestly couldn't tell what it was. Either way, what you did works. Thanks for the input. Now I need to figure out how to model the gas mask ...

no problem bro :) yeah the gas mask is my last piece ... since it seems i have trouble to model that have curve or organic hehe ...
  • jnascimento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnascimento polycounter lvl 4
    The current state of my models. Thank you to all, for posting previews of your models, only noticed some things because of your amazing work.Next step, cabbling.. :poly122:

render_11_zps06e656fa.png
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    utlx.png

This is my take on the model.
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comm panel, switch, plug socket, speaker, floor metal panels, floor tiles
    and updated vent - I forgot the exhaust from the last update ...

props_phones-switch-socket.png

props_speaker.png

props_floor-panels-updated-vent.png

Next stop - Radio equipments, TV, wires and storage boxes ... :D

Question: when you're at the game engine, do you add sounds or just pure single map?
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7g8r.png

wow that's great looking asset!
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    utlx.png

Looks great! The only potential problem I can see is that the bevels might be a bit too tight as the panel lines and highlights are already at this pretty big size quite aliased. Other than that I can't really see any other problems with it.

Here's my own (WIP) version of the same prop:
    Fusion_Coil_LP_1.png
    I tried to mostly stick to the concept but also attempted to push the silhouette a bit more than the concept. I've still got a few holes and unfinished parts as I haven't worked on this for too long yet.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    Looks great! The only potential problem I can see is that the bevels might be a bit too tight as the panel lines and highlights are already at this pretty big size quite aliased. Other than that I can't really see any other problems with it.

Here's my own (WIP) version of the same prop:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2000935/Fusion_Coil_LP_1.png
    I tried to mostly stick to the concept but also attempted to push the silhouette a bit more than the concept. I've still got a few holes and unfinished parts as I haven't worked on this for too long yet.

The aliased problem stems from how I took the screen shots. I did a quick test bake, and the normals were fine. but i thought they might be a bit tight too.

looking great man! :)
  • JGrabke31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey everyone here is my first rough block out...i wanted to get good positioning along with messing with the lighting to get a feel for it before i start modeling out my assets...comments suggestion anything and everything welcome..
    base_imageBlockout001.png
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    Fusion_Coil_LP_1.png

It looks nice! The width of your edges looks good, makes me want to loosen mine even more (still haven't posted yet :/) but some pinching on some corners could use another pass just to clean up some artifacts. Great job on breaking up the shapes!

Only other critique would be to extend the width of the inner edge to connect to the side elements. I'm sure it's just an unfinished element, but keep at it! love your holograms. Did you use cards for those? and could we see some wires?
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stockwell wrote: »
    It looks nice! The width of your edges looks good, makes me want to loosen mine even more (still haven't posted yet :/) but some pinching on some corners could use another pass just to clean up some artifacts. Great job on breaking up the shapes!
    Thanks! And yeah, some of the geometry is a bit nasty and in need of a bit of a cleanup, but I'll fix that.
    Only other critique would be to extend the width of the inner edge to connect to the side elements. I'm sure it's just an unfinished element, but keep at it!
    Not sure where you mean. I'd guess you mean that I should extend the panel with the three diagonal holes downwards. I'm planning on filling that hole with an additional small panel so no worries.

love your holograms. Did you use cards for those?
    Not sure if that was actually directed towards me or not. I haven't worked on the holograms at all yet, so at the moment my holograms are just just planes being occluded by some panels. I'll work on them before the next update though.
    and could we see some wires?
    The wires are quite messy right now, but I'll try to clean them up and post them here for your perusal.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    siraniks wrote: »
    wow your fast, how many objects do you work in a day?

It really depends, I'm doing those during my lunch time at work or in-between tasks, when I get a lil break. The TV and the boxes took me about 2.5h, this new one around that too:

bunker_preview_08.jpg
    I'm taking some liberties with the props :)
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask but if I would like to make the lamps/holograms cast light on the panels how would I achieve this with PBR? One of the core tenets of PBR is that the albedo shouldn't have any lighting information, but aside from placing the baked lighting there I don't know where it could otherwise be placed.

I guess I could just place a few faint pointlights but then that would be a lot less exact and most probably look worse.

IIRC Epic had implemented light emission via textures for UE4 but I think they removed that.

So how would you solve this conundrum for either UE4 or Toolbag 2?
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ziosnarf polycounter lvl 9
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys,

I've reused the knobs and etc to make some quick radios:
    bunker_preview_09.jpg
    getting closer!
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Decided to take a crack at the fusion coil. I haven't done any highpoly/normal mapped assets in a while. And this seems like a good excuse to try out Unreal 4 and Substance Designer.

This is the start of my block out. I'm still don't know what to do about the detailed glowy bit in the centre.
    fusion_coil_wip_01.jpg
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to take a crack at the fusion coil. I haven't done any highpoly/normal mapped assets in a while. And this seems like a good excuse to try out Unreal 4 and Substance Designer.

This is the start of my block out. I'm still don't know what to do about the detailed glowy bit in the centre.
    fusion_coil_wip_01.jpg

I like this a lot! :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work everyone
    Here is my texturing for it :

NzAB8t2.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    09-2.jpg
    08-2.jpg

Night #10. So the final prop is high poly modeled at the end of night #10. It turned out to be the hardest one. At first I tried NURBS, then realized that this was NOT going to be the best time to learn NURBS and gave up. Then I tried Mudbox sculpting and it literally didn't work. Has anyone else ever had Mudbox just not want to sculpt well? It has happened to me before where it gives you nothing as you press down, and then all the sudden it gives you way too much? I fiddled with it for a while and again gave up. Eventually I simply box modeled it as usual. As you can see above the straps aren't actually connected, but they look fine from a distance. That was a compromise of time and practicality. A good gas mask could be a month challenge in itself.

@ayoub44: nice work. Can I see a wireframe and texture maps?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10-2.jpg

Here's a few close ups. I started fiddling with putting screws everywhere but quickly realize that they didn't seem to translate well unless you were looking right at it up close. Thus, I move on. Also I don't make high poly renders per se until the end. Until the normal maps are done there is always a chance I will change them.
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    09-2.jpg
    08-2.jpg

Night #10. So the final prop is high poly modeled at the end of night #10. It turned out to be the hardest one. At first I tried NURBS, then realized that this was NOT going to be the best time to learn NURBS and gave up. Then I tried Mudbox sculpting and it literally didn't work. Has anyone else ever had Mudbox just not want to sculpt well? It has happened to me before where it gives you nothing as you press down, and then all the sudden it gives you way too much? I fiddled with it for a while and again gave up. Eventually I simply box modeled it as usual. As you can see above the straps aren't actually connected, but they look fine from a distance. That was a compromise of time and practicality. A good gas mask could be a month challenge in itself.

@ayoub44: nice work. Can I see a wireframe and texture maps?

that's a good mask already you got there ... good work!
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottMichaelH :

EgC3bJf.jpg

5GsvR50.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Today's lunchtime prop:

bunker_preview_10.jpg
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • KassEscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KassEscoe polycounter lvl 3
    im defiantly gonna have a go at this challenge. im gonna use it as a way to test out some new tools
  • JPomeisl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JPomeisl polycounter lvl 3
    FlyingMonk: that should work nice with the big bevels...keep it up.
    Computron: interesting approach - any more progress?
    CatMaster: thanks for running these things.

needs more spacing between panels and larger(maybe softer?) edges overall
    OxRpH27.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    JPomeisl wrote: »
    FlyingMonk: that should work nice with the big bevels...keep it up.
    Computron: interesting approach - any more progress?
    CatMaster: thanks for running these things.

needs more spacing between panels and larger(maybe softer?) edges overall
    OxRpH27.jpg

I like your take on the prop even though it's super not forerunner anymore, but I think that the thing people are not getting is varying the distance between the lines is really important in forerunner stuff and it's clear in the concept, you can also subtly bevel one edge on the panels where they connect to give it sharper, more sophisticated edges that still show up in the normal map.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I like your take on the prop even though it's super not forerunner anymore

Retro ForeRunner. er.. just... Runner I guess. ContemporaryRunner?
  • KassEscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KassEscoe polycounter lvl 3
    Im about a hour or so in, here is what i have so far:
    SvizPHm.jpg

Im modeling the whole thing using probuilder2 in unity and then ill create the texture in Photoshop and apply the textures back in probuilder. I have yet to decided if im going to stick to the textures in the original or come up with my own.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's how my fusion coil's turning out so far:
    Fusion_Coil_LP_2.png
    I'm very happy with how the bake turned out, but I think I'll have to work more on the material definition (doubt that the main body reads as painted metal). Also haven't painted in much dirt or wear yet, but that's on the todo list as well.

I think I'll use this opportunity to try out Blenders new Cycles baking to make the lights properly light up the surrounding panels. Right now the lighting coming from them is just their material mask with a bit of blur.
  • Carter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter polycounter lvl 12
    Got to a point where I think I may actually finish this, work committing focusing on baking out all the objects then focusing on the texturing at the end

PCNC_June1.jpg
  • jnascimento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnascimento polycounter lvl 4
    Finished my highpolys, still have lots to do: retopology ( current 900000 tri) and texture before trying UDK.

render_16_zps2e2edb94.png
  • JPomeisl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JPomeisl polycounter lvl 3
    ahh...thanks. suspicions confirmed that not playing Halo is biting me as far as what the design should be. need to get looking at reference.
    I'll take retro-forerunner(oxymoron), though.
    keep it up everyone.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JPomeisl wrote: »
    ahh...thanks. suspicions confirmed that not playing Halo is biting me as far as what the design should be. need to get looking at reference.
    I'll take retro-forerunner(oxymoron), though.
    keep it up everyone.
    I haven't played Halo for many years, but I really like your take on the model. It's a bit more creative and unique than mine.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Those props are looking nice Carter! Hope you get to finish! I would love to see your end result! :)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    My first version of the mask:
    bunker_preview_11.jpg
    I'm not 100% convinced, do you guys have any thoughts on it?