Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge June 2014 (20)

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    Starting to put the scene together. Don't mind the lighting, haven't started working on that yet!
    bunker_preview_24.png
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ziosnarf polycounter lvl 9
    I try to finish some objects
    same texture for 2 objects
    3868e7a891fdd3eb37f6c98ab5e9f7cd.jpg
    512x512
    9b0ccd9231cfb75d7de6e4251476545e.jpg
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the wall texture and made 2 type of wall : 1 wall very low poly and one other with more subdivisions for the vertex painting.
    Textures are hand painted

c62ed4c5bbb9e4e854a2aa75680111bc.jpg

76e679cd26c938ee5f626af72643d5e9.jpg

f081ad3499617f02a03664b98772acc4.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Cool, looking forward to seeing your progress mate!

I'm making the tiling textures now, starting with the floor. Will do walls and ceiling next:
    bunker_preview_25.jpg
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not satisfied of my floor texture, yours is cool and look like more to the concept art.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Try not to get caught up doing and redoing a small part of it! What I do is working on passes, then I'll go back and fix anything that looks odd.

I'm still working on mine:

bunker_preview_26.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    @Bruno: Are you still working on materials? I feel like your material definition as the opposite issue of mine. I can very much read the metal/non-metal definition, but it looks so clean as if dirt doesn't happen in this bunker.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Yeah, sure! I like to start from clean and then dirtying it up as I feel necessary. If I start from a very dirty state, makes it quite hard for me to achieve proper material definition. But then that's just my own workflow :) I'd love to hear feedback on anything!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Small update, made the floor vent and a door frame. Not happy with the vent though
    bunker_preview_28.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    You got an environment probe in there? Also, there are console commands to increase SSR quality.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey Computron, I'm using one of the default skies in Marmoset.
    I'll probably take this into UE4 after I fix a bunch of issues. Here's how it looks right now:
    bunker_preview_31.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, I missed the black marmoset logo in the corner against that black background in your previous shot. Im looking forward to seeing it in UE4 though!

Marmoset is doing a fine job in the above screenshot though.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Here's it in UE4:

bunker_preview_32.jpg
    Quite drastic change, so more polishing is needed :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I think right now, a post processing pass could go a long way. (realized this is the june newb challenge... now I am the newb :poly131: lol, just edited this post) Just pull your exposure levels down (not sure what they are called in UE4) and should help level out the light intensities :) Really nice work man! Maybe some minor material polish is needed to break them up, a tad flat after the transition.
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    I'm pretty sure anyone can join. It's just called the noob challenge so that noobs aren't discouraged from giving it a go.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    @Bruno. nice work :thumb up:

Only last crit would be that typography on the back wall. Its very strong, my eyes immediately go right to it and it creates a compositional tangent with the elements close to it.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shaz_Snow wrote: »
    is this really a community noob challenge or is it sarcastic? Can I still join?

I hereby dub thee, Sir Noobsalot.

You may now proceed to modeling and texturing this particular arrangement of polygons, as specified by the concept art, chosen by the June Order of the Monthly Noob Challenge Brotherhood.

Go forth, young noob!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    It's really looking quite nice Bruno! Glad you decided to continue with it and push it further! :)

I agree with ScottMichael about the typography. Perhaps try and age it a bit and show some wear and tear to better match the rest of the room?
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good work !
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Thanks for the feedback guys :) Still working on it!
    You're right about the typography, it was bothering me for some reason but I couldn't figure out why. So I took it out for the moment.
    I did some smaller tweaking around, fixed material issues, toned down the lighting (I need to use crazy small values to get it looking a bit darker) and started working on a wet floor shader:
    bunker_preview_34.jpg
    Shader is not done yet, it doesn't do anything with the normals so the reflection is a tad noisy.
    Pulling the exposure levels down a bit does wonders too :) I'll be playing with those values a bit until I get a better grasp on how they work.
  • siraniks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siraniks polycounter lvl 10
    You're right about the typography, it was bothering me for some reason but I couldn't figure out why. So I took it out for the moment.
    I did some smaller tweaking around, fixed material issues, toned down the lighting (I need to use crazy small values to get it looking a bit darker) and started working on a wet floor shader:
    bunker_preview_34.jpg
    Shader is not done yet, it doesn't do anything with the normals so the reflection is a tad noisy.
    Pulling the exposure levels down a bit does wonders too :) I'll be playing with those values a bit until I get a better grasp on how they work.

I really like what you did on the floor :)

and to everyone great progress haha, I really missed working on this piece but I'm still busy working on another project .
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    bunker_preview_34.jpg

Whoa, how'd you get that nice water/glossy look for the floor? Is this mostly
    UDK tweaks?

I really liked this one, I think I'm going to go back and finish it
  • Ziosnarf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Keke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone that gave this challenge a shot, I read through all your posts and admire your work, I understand I am a little late to the party, but I have to do this same challenge for university.
    I would love any advice on what programs were best and where to start, I am not really good at 3D but have to learn, no time like the present.
    Right now I am using Maya and Unreal, but just could as easily switch to 3ds Max and Unity. I have no loyalty to either program as I am not fluent in any.
    I am going to to try to first block it out and find all the assets and objects everyone found on this forum to help with what I can't see or recognise.
    Any other help would be much appreciated.