Home Unreal Engine

UE4 Big levels

I'm not sure how to model a big level for UE4. Every time I try to do a blockout in Maya for a big level skeleton, I loose the sense of scale so quickly, it looks ugly in the end. And proportions are completely off.

Anybody have a good advice? I could really use it. I'm kind of stuck here with the project.

Replies

• Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I've done a bunch of giant scale environments for both work and private and usually you will want to work with some human model nearby to always be able to compare how things will look next to him.

There are a lot of guidelines you can follow to recreate massive environments but you could just go and check some concept art to see how they do it, or actual real life references and try to understand why it feels so massive.
    In my experience you usually will want to place things that any person can relate to like handrails or similar stuff to really show the scale. Or you can place the same kind of asset (trees, rocks, cars, whatever it is you're making) in both the foreground and background.

But really, it just depends on what kind of environment you're making. Maybe neither of my suggestions would work but you could do something else. Long shadows cast by the environment can also give a sense of scale, too. Or the fog affecting said environment..

Post your project :P

Edit: Also, this isn't limited to Unreal Engine so you could instead post this on another sub-forum to get more replies.
  • Elodin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the answer.

That helps a little bit.