Home General Discussion

Future of texturing and 3d modeling in gaming industry

Micaki
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Micaki polycounter lvl 3
Hi there
I have one question that is bothering me- how 3d scanning will affect 3d modeling and texturing workflow in the near future?
Take a look at this
http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/03/visual-revolution-vanishing-ethan-carter/
By 3d scanning you can achieve very good looknig asset prety quickly.(but still you steel need to do retopology, uvmapping, etc.) The problem is- what about available jobs in the industry. It already hard to find a good job withoud having any experience and this technology will definitely reduce amount of needed artists to create assets.
So there are two possible options (at least i heard about two :p):
- many companies starts to use 3d scanning in their workflow (except companies that make sci fi games etc) some of the artists gets fired (or companies dont hire anymore for some time), it is even harder to find a job for 3d modelers and texture artists
-new technology will reduce the cost of making games so new companies appear (new workplaces)- it is easier to get a job

What do you think about it?

Im going to start my adventure in gaming industry in few years so this problem is important for me, btw sorry for my english xd

Replies

• Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Being able to 3d scan different assets doesn't necessarily make great aesthetics. If you're aiming for photo realism and you want to recreate an existing place on this planet then I'd say yes. But how many times does that apply.

quote from the article..
    "And the end of the day, photogrammetry is a tool. Nothing less, but nothing more. It’s still up to designers and artists to decide what kind of world they are creating, and on what journey they want to invite the players."
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think 3d scanning is going to help build libraries that artist can reference and build from, but I can't see scans skipping artists and going directly into games.

It'll be kinda cool if an artist could load up one of thousands of 3d scanned objects, use color pickers and different view modes to get PBR data from the reference scan, and use that information on model/project they are working on. Although it'd probably be a lot more practical to compile scan data into tiling textures like DDO's mega scans.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Photogrammetric scan data looks like garbage out of Agisoft without an 80 camera rig all shooting at once. And even then it requires a lot of cleanup before you have something you can even begin to use to make game art.

There would still be jobs available for Zbrush artists to retopologize and do cleanup, even if the entire game industry exclusively used scan data for asset creation. You probably wouldn't be having any fun or doing anything artistically challenging though.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I've heard Activision has a library of very high-res scanned assets. How many M16 do you need? Only one.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I do see this affecting people that model cars, guns, and faces before anyone else, should you might want to watch what happens to those artists.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It's time to do more of dragons, orcs, Krakens and dem Aliens.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Can't wait.

Anything to make our job easier I'm for.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Micaki wrote: »
    By 3d scanning you can achieve very good looknig asset prety quickly.(but still you steel need to do retopology, uvmapping, etc.) The problem is- what about available jobs in the industry. It already hard to find a good job withoud having any experience and this technology will definitely reduce amount of needed artists to create assets.
    This is just how technology goes. I remember about a decade ago seeing forum posts calling AO bakes "cheating."

You cannot take for granted that in 5 years you'll be working the same way in this industry. You have to be adaptable. Learn art principles that won't change but practice them with whatever tools are current.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I seriously doubt it would take away jobs from artists. That's sort of like saying anyone can use a camera so why hire a professional cameraman. (Not the best analogy but I think you get my point)

Creating quality 3D artwork takes enough time as it is, the more tools and possible techniques that might work for a particular studio the merrier I say.

Not to mention that fear misses the idea that tools that free up some of an artist's time let's him or her focus on creating even more work = possibly more unique assets, characters, and environments that otherwise would of been scrapped in the concept phase for being too time-consuming. Imagine if some magical tool sped up the environment process for Skyrim by 50%, knowing Bethesda's previous games they probably would of tried to pack even more content and new dungeon tilesets in rather than say hey-o and not try to push themselves further.

It's not like there's a ton of spare time and a lack of what to squeeze in next in game production.. Usually you hear quite the contrary.

And such technologies actually probably create more varied kinds of jobs, said scanning equipment probably would have a company hire more technical artists as an example. Not only that but you'd need to hire location scouters just like in the film industry to actually find places interesting enough that would fit well inside your game, and probably fly a crew around with all that scanning equipment if say you wanted to scan the Roman Colosseum and found yourself stuck in New York City.

Paid traveling to distant countries to 3D scan different types of architecture and geometry to be used in a game? Sign me up! :)

and if you're really fearful, you can't scan a Dragon!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'd also like to point out that CG as a whole (at least in standards of realism) has been primarily used in film to create scenes that would otherwise be either too time-consuming, costly, or impossible to create as a set in real-life.

You also have to factor in what art in real-time games actually means. Sure, it's purpose is to provide visual feedback and give a sense of being in an environment, setting, or situation that you normally wouldn't be in or see in your day-to-day life (visual immersion)

But it also has the rather huge part of having to be functional and serve under the structure of gameplay and level design, something I'd say most real-life buildings are not really suited for by themselves without further modifications.

You wouldn't really want to hand over to your level designers a set of buildings that are basically completely static and function as-is. Hence the whole notion of modeling with modularity and tile-sets in mind; not only would you have to retopo said scanned buildings so they are optimized but you would probably have to hack away at them smartly as well.

So yeah, I view 3D scanning as a possible and welcome addition to the current selection of tools for 3D artists to use, but I don't see it taking away any jobs. (at least until they can somehow scan the visuals going on in people's brains :O)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    3D scanning will replace modeling
    when they can scan things out of a concepts artist imagination

Until then, how would you scan a demon, a dinosaur or just a lamp that does not exist but has to be conform to a environment ?

Larger studios probably use more of it, but for the normal modeler barely anything should change I suppose, no need to worry
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Shrike wrote: »
    Until then, how would you scan a demon

Sacrifice a virgin lass on a demonic altar to summon it, then hope it has a penchant for game art and is willing to co-operate?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    GL scanning Alpha Centauri, Mithirl, Adamantium, rocks on Titan...
    You got the point.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    We've been using scanner to get some complex models in our scenes. Its a great idea, but it still takes loads of time to scan, clean up the scan, retopo the thing, UV it and then texture. The end result is great but in a lot of cases it makes more sense just to quickly model it. It pays off to scan very organic looking things but not really anything else.

They said the same thing about artists being replaced by Mocap or 3d scanning when it came to films/adverts but it never happened.
    Poeple adjusted their pipeline, tools and embraced the new technology.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    This is just how technology goes. I remember about a decade ago seeing forum posts calling AO bakes "cheating." .

I remember a decade ago seeing forum posts talking about 3D scanning taking all our jorbs.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Ethan Carter is an odd example of 3D scan use for games, almost retro use. They used lighting information in the diffuse from the scan which is extremely risky. It's more similar to just photosourcing textures heh.

It's risky because everything has to be captured in the right matching lighting and placed in such a way that you don't get conflicting shadow directions. Also the lighting ingame can't be too elaborate either.

Really they should have used cross-polarization to separate it out into flat albedo. But it was still a pretty game, from a distance. I enjoyed it.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    3D scanning will replace modeling
    when they can scan things out of a concepts artist imagination

Until then, how would you scan a demon, a dinosaur or just a lamp that does not exist but has to be conform to a environment ?

Larger studios probably use more of it, but for the normal modeler barely anything should change I suppose, no need to worry

The hulk for the Avengers movie was based on 3D scan data of the actor, but with manipulated proportions and detailing. If your management thinks they can save modeling time and money by making artists start with scan data, even if you're making a demon, they would likely do it if it fits the art style.

Small studios can also just purchase data from 3D scanning companies relatively cheap. I suspect it will only be the larger companies making their own $20,000 80 DSLR photogrammetry rigs though. I believe EA and Ubisoft have already had their own for a while now.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm sure we will be no longer "artists", because there is no art in a scanned human, and more with textures that were done with 4 clicks.

Anyways, as others have stated, all the creations such as monsters, aliens, etc will still need the horse power of an ARTIST with a hollywood/film/photo level of quality. All this, if the production is aimed for realism.

All the games with cartoonish characters will remain with the same needs. The advantage of all this new tech will be noticed more in games such as COD.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I was under the impression CoD/Battlefield were already using 3D scans for clothing and characters? Think I read an article on it a while back... will edit and add if I find it.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well they've been scanning people for NHL, FIFA, NFL etc for years now. But it still takes huge amount of people to properly get them into the game.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    If you are making a medieval game you can't just go scan some imaginary village, you would still need to make it. Creating modular designs would be a much better way to make a city than scanning a refurbished medieval house.
    Cartoon graphics and hand painted textures can't be scanned either.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Scans are fantastic!

You guys have to check out the Ryse GDC Talk.

Here's a sample of some of their facial animations:
    http://vimeo.com/86232748

Insane what they do. They don't just scan the model, they scan the expressions (for morphed normal maps), then they scan the entire Facial Action Coding System for triggering of the normal maps, and blend shapes.

Crazy crazy shit! So damn cool!!
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suspect it will only be the larger companies making their own $20,000 80 DSLR photogrammetry rigs though.

$20K will buy you a 30-40 camera rig. Don't forget it's not just cameras, but stands, cables, USB hubs, computers, flashes, and some custom software development and such to drive the rig. And even with that you're on a relatively standard set of cameras and objectives.

Also, as others have already pointed out, there are issues.

Scan data needs to be processed and cleaned up. Even if you have 120+ high end cameras, or even a Lightstage.

You can't scan sci-fi or fantasy stuff at all.

Even real life stuff needs scouting, casting, time and so on.

Also, sometimes real life just doesn't work and you and up making changes driven by art direction.

And in the end, scanned assets will free artists to spend more time on the stuff that can't be photographed.

Also, FACS scans. Aligning the scans is a nightmare. Actors usually don't get FACS and you can't get them up to speed in a day. Expression scans also don't just get into your rig without serious work, either.

All in all scanning is a pretty damn useful tool, but that's all it is, it won't replace you, it won't bring team sizes down, so don't fear it but embrace it instead.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I consider myself quite experienced in this aspect :) so for once I can share some of my knowledge on PC rather then just learning.

I have used many types of scanners, from laser 3d scanners, to video scanners and phometric image scanning, and established a pipeline for my studio when these are in use.

Scanning will never replace an artist, only speed up a workflow and make them more efficient.

Scanning and getting a "good" scan is two completely different things.

Laser scanners like the "next-engine" scanner allow an object to be placed on a turntable and as it turns, scans a set distance using a combination of lasers and cameras to produce a mesh and a texture. The scan consists of one "cycle" but within that cycle it may scan the object on that particular rotation several times for clarity. The texture isn't an unwrap but merely the mesh referencing parts of the photograph. The issue I find with these sort of scanners is the alignment process and what they're actually able to pick up. Anything reflective will not be picked up; and unless there are obvious points to reference it can be difficult to align; unless you make one i.e. putting small bits of bluetac on certain sections that can be smoothed out in zbrush.

video scanners like the "artek" scan an object using its camera and flashes of flight. It works on a frame-rate and this effects the scan pickup very much. Its a handheld scanner and whilst its great; the issues I've found is that it loses tracking extremely often. By this I mean, it picks up an object and produces a 3d mesh on screen via its knowledge of where the object started in xyz space and where it ends. Should an object be consistent with no major landmarks it will struggle to comprehend where it begins and finishes.

Just to clarify on this further; if I was to 3d scan a rug from the centre to its edge; it would get lost, however if I scanned it from the edge to where it met the floor it would comprehend this fine.

Again issues with alignment can be found; it literally relies on the users ability to match several points amongst scans; it does however give a measurement of its accuracy in mm. In addition scans can give quite noisey and grainy results.

I clean scan data up pretty much on a daily/every few days basis in zbrush. Its extremely easy using a combination of morph, smooths, retops and projection. You'll get a good result IF you put the work in and only if. You still need to retop, you still need to bake and you still need to work hard to get the scan to a reasonable/aligned standard to begin with.

Hope this helps - any questions just ask.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photogrammetric scan data looks like garbage out of Agisoft without an 80 camera rig all shooting at once. And even then it requires a lot of cleanup before you have something you can even begin to use to make game art.

There would still be jobs available for Zbrush artists to retopologize and do cleanup, even if the entire game industry exclusively used scan data for asset creation. You probably wouldn't be having any fun or doing anything artistically challenging though.

Clearly based on opinion rather then experience as I've seen some amazing stuff using photometric scan data.

Just because you scan something doesn't mean it ends there; you can easily use this as a quick base. The exact same as you would with any base mesh.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vargatom wrote: »
    $20K will buy you a 30-40 camera rig. Don't forget it's not just cameras, but stands, cables, USB hubs, computers, flashes, and some custom software development and such to drive the rig. And even with that you're on a relatively standard set of cameras and objectives.

Scan data needs to be processed and cleaned up. Even if you have 120+ high end cameras, or even a Lightstage.

Also, sometimes real life just doesn't work and you and up making changes driven by art direction.

And in the end, scanned assets will free artists to spend more time on the stuff that can't be photographed.

Also, FACS scans. Aligning the scans is a nightmare. Actors usually don't get FACS and you can't get them up to speed in a day. Expression scans also don't just get into your rig without serious work, either.

All in all scanning is a pretty damn useful tool, but that's all it is, it won't replace you, it won't bring team sizes down, so don't fear it but embrace it instead.

Don't need any of that. I use this all the time. Works better;

http://www.artec3d.com/hardware/artec-eva/how_it_works/
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Aligning scan data is stupid easy if you have a program made for doing it. What program were you using?

I'd suggest checking out Innovmetric Polyworks.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr wrote: »

We use it at work and it can get great results, though it takes time. Though it costs 15k GBP....At least with that DSLR you atleast can use it for something else.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clearly based on opinion rather then experience as I've seen some amazing stuff using photometric scan data.

Just because you scan something doesn't mean it ends there; you can easily use this as a quick base. The exact same as you would with any base mesh.

I worked at a 3D scanning company for a few years cleaning up scan data, so my opinion is based on quite a bit of experience.

The artec was sort of a gamble whether we got good data or not, and it took a really steady hand to get good results with it. Our camera rig produced much better stuff to work with.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photogrammetric scan data looks like garbage out of Agisoft without an 80 camera rig all shooting at once. And even then it requires a lot of cleanup before you have something you can even begin to use to make game art.QUOTE]
    I worked at a 3D scanning company for a few years cleaning up scan data, so my opinion is based on quite a bit of experience.

The artec was sort of a gamble whether we got good data or not, and it took a really steady hand to get good results with it. Our camera rig produced much better stuff to work with.

I've never had any issues getting good data; nor have I got a steady hand. I'm sure a camera rig would work better for certain objects; but you just said photometric scanning data was terrible? ^
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photogrammetric scan data looks like garbage out of Agisoft without an 80 camera rig all shooting at once. And even then it requires a lot of cleanup before you have something you can even begin to use to make game art.QUOTE]

I've never had any issues getting good data; nor have I got a steady hand. I'm sure a camera rig would work better for certain objects; but you just said photometric scanning data was terrible? ^

Yes, most scan data I've worked with has looked pretty bad and requires a lot of cleanup before even remotely approaching a basis for a game model sculpt. A notable exception are static objects scanned with a FARO laser arm scanner.

Whenever I used the artec or watched someone else using it, it was challenging to keep the tracking trail continuous. Perhaps the software has been updated in the last year or so to make that easier though.
  • Taz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taz
    ZacD wrote: »
    I do see this affecting people that model cars, guns, and faces before anyone else, should you might want to watch what happens to those artists.

I've been using some form of scan data to model cars for a while now.
    I remember being a little worried about it taking my job when the tech first came out.
    But in the end, as it's been said before, it's just a tool.
    Even if you're taking the scan data and replicating it 1:1 without any artistic input, it still requires a lot of work and a good eye.
    I see this tech being used to allow artist to perform their jobs quicker and to achieve more accurate results, not taking any jobs.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

We've tested portable laser scanners and no thank you. The translucency of human skin wreaks havoc with it and you also can't keep a subject completely still for the time it requires to do all the passes. It's fine for maquettes with a matte finish but even a slight amount of reflectivity will also mess up the laser.

A DLSR rig is also far more flexible as well.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aligning scan data is stupid easy if you have a program made for doing it. What program were you using?

Er, I'm talking about aligning various expressions scans taken over a long period of time. I've yet to see proper alignment that doesn't need manual fixing.

I think our guys are using Meshlab, I'll point them to this one although I don't have high expectations. Too many moving parts of the human face, including the ears and the scalp, to get 100% perfection.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I see no reason to be afraid of new technology. It's just tools. If making simple assets gets easy well then we will have more time working on an ever more complex whole.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I remember a decade ago seeing forum posts talking about 3D scanning taking all our jorbs.
    heh, exactly :) a perennial fear
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    it's pretty much in a way how Mo-cap to do with manual animating, it's not gonna take over overnight but will affect professionals in a long term.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've tested portable laser scanners and no thank you. The translucency of human skin wreaks havoc with it and you also can't keep a subject completely still for the time it requires to do all the passes. It's fine for maquettes with a matte finish but even a slight amount of reflectivity will also mess up the laser.

A DLSR rig is also far more flexible as well.

Clearly didn't look at the artek properly then because it's not a laser scanner, and seeing as we've made characters using that said scanner with little issues clarifies this :)
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's a structured light based scanner than it has similar issues with translucency and highly reflective surfaces.

The only high quality scan data I've seen from real living humans was either from photoscans or from a light stage.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vargatom, does Digic picture guys use scans for their stuff? Like humans, or props?
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Micaki wrote: »
    So there are two possible options (at least i heard about two :p):
    - many companies starts to use 3d scanning in their workflow (except companies that make sci fi games etc) some of the artists gets fired (or companies dont hire anymore for some time), it is even harder to find a job for 3d modelers and texture artists
    -new technology will reduce the cost of making games so new companies appear (new workplaces)- it is easier to get a job

What do you think about it?

Im going to start my adventure in gaming industry in few years so this problem is important for me, btw sorry for my english xd

Don't worry. Its the same argument that people made for mocap - we still have animators don't we? Art direction is still needed and artists are still required to at the very least clean up the data and make it game-ready.

But more importantly, if you want epic concept art in motion vistas and beautiful things that don't exist in reality, you're still going to need artists aren't you? Unless you're recreating a real-world environment 1:1 you are going to want artists, and at the very least you need technically trained people to clean up the data.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    lol, we still have janky mocap puppet hands. Why does mocap always look so off? Is it a proportion mismatch between the mocap actors and the game models?
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    It's just an inability to properly capture fine detail. But that's why Mocap is used for the big motion and then animators go in and hand animate the bits it can't do well. Point a camera directly at the face, and you get good facial capture, I'm sure there are solutions for hands too though.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clearly didn't look at the artek properly then because it's not a laser scanner, and seeing as we've made characters using that said scanner with little issues clarifies this :)

I forgot to mention that the Artec always ruined the color textures and was highly sensitive to lighting conditions. Sometimes a weird lighting condition would make it impossible to capture usable data. The color texture data was usually in an unrealistic hue or overly saturated and totally mismatched to our photogrammetric data.

It was primarily used as our plan B scanner or a budget option for customers without a lot of money. Do you work for artec or something? :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Personally I still think the future is more towards supershaders. You take a handful of textures, combined with vertex painting, and you've got an entire island worth of ground covering. Much more scalable in terms of memory, much more flexible (just change a var to get more snow), and a lot more versatile.

Scanning is a nice extra tool, but it's rather limited. You need to have a real-world asset first, which may or may not cost a lot of effort to make. For Ethan Carter it makes sense since it's pretty much a real location, but for something like Halo/Skyrim?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vargatom, does Digic picture guys use scans for their stuff? Like humans, or props?

Yes, but it's quite a mixed thing ;)

Our first experimental scans were created from static assets using a single camera. These included props like food on the table in the AC4 Black Flag trailer or sushi in Watch Dogs. Also, Edward's naked upper body was based on a lifecast, but we ended up heavily modifying it.

There's a yet unannounced project (going public very soon) where we've used a lot of facial scans from the client, and some arm/hand scans from our newly built rig. Well actually it's quite a few months old by now ;)

We're now using it on a lot of stuff for human scanning, props and such, and still experimenting with its possible uses, but most of these projects will only be released next year.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was primarily used as our plan B scanner or a budget option for customers without a lot of money. Do you work for artec or something? :)

Yeah we've looked into Artec but we've found it to be quite expensive (a proper full body scan needs I think something like 8 units), the donwloadable samples weren't too convincing, and it's flexibility didn't seem to be good enough either.

Scanning a living human is IMHO far too problematic with a handheld device. Just the breathing itself would generate a lot of inaccuracy, and even with holding to some bars or something would not guarantee a completely motionless stance. Photogrammetry rigs or Lightstages on the other hand fire in an instant so accuracy is only a function of the number of cameras vs. coverage.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I do wonder, if a company like ten24 could expand their entire bodyscan library to encompass so many characters, we could make indiscernable crowds, with full FACS.

http://www.3dscanstore.com/

The problem after this point, is mapping the animation and blend shapes.

Obviously this won't work without FACs, and the performance animation from the proper actors. It likely won't kill our in-house jobs, but it might reduce the requirement for outsourcing.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you only want to make crowds, FACS shapes are a significant overhead that would be pretty hard to justify IMHO.

Every human face has a unique individual pattern of facial wrinkles, and you have two options to cover that - either model a custom face with edge loops aligned to those patterns, or create animated normal/displacement maps. Both require a lot of manual work.

Our approach to background characters is to re-use the same base mesh. This allows re-use of the same set of facial blendshapes; it takes some tweaking to fix things like eyelids not connecting in a blink shape and so on, but it's still reasonably fast and works well for most of the cases.
    The other option would be to build a bones based face rig, but I find those to be even more complicated and harder to refit. Still it's a more viable option for games as blendshapes are very expensive, both in runtime memory and in processing (bones are almost free on the GPU).

Also, background characters are usually not tasked with expressing complex emotions, so you don't need overly complicated facial shapes. And if you do, it's better to do it right with custom models and shapes anyway.

Oh and more about FACS.
    First, the basic set of 40-50 Action Units or elemental shapes is already a significant effort to scan, it takes hours for the capture and days for the processing. You'll also end up with the wrong expression for 10-30% of them because the actor can't be sufficiently trained for the session, so you already have to do a lot of manual sculpting.

Second, the system describes complex facial expressions as a combination of various AUs, and simply adding together the elemental blendshapes will break the face almost every time. So you need corrective shapes that are dialed in automatically, like when you need a smile with an opened jaw. The number of possible combinations is a few thousand and it's obviously impossible to scan them all, so you have to do a LOT of extra corrective shapes manually, too. However, combinations are usually less work - except a few dozen really nasty ones...
    Of course if you don't need a fully complete character, you can narrow this down significantly, but for movie VFX it's a given that you'll need hundreds at least.

So, full body scans - OK. Basic expression scans - quite expensive. Fully featured FACS library - impossible.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    There's so much I don't know about this.

But the Order and Ryse has me frothing at the mouth.

^__^

Very jealous of you pre-rendered guys over this.

:D