Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Pre-Dom War V - 3D Character Art

Replies

• Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Bogdanbl4: Oh yes.

Thanks a lot to those who commented on my previous post, I've tried to incorporate every piece of advice. The anatomy should look a lot more like the concept now, I've tried to improve my poly distribution (it still needs work), and I attempted to make the legs appear a bit less pillar-like, though maybe I should still work on that more too. Oh and I gave him his axe. :D

I've still got more than 1100 tris left, those are gonna go into detail edges and overall smoothing stuff out.

Harsh crits are appreciated!
    dw5p_modelwip2.jpg
  • dregoloth
    Here's the nearly completed mesh, I'm thinking that the body is a little too long. What's the actual due date of the entries?
    technomage.jpg
  • Sirdelita
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    whhhhattt thheee effff dan!
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Bogdanbl4 ; Nice ! Cant wait to see more!

GoodWork
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Богдан: Отлично! Я чуть не бросил свой проект когда твой видел. Ты выигриваещь.
  • onelunglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work Bogdanbl4, would love to see some of your progress. Awesome! Awesome!
  • Ithoual
    Bogdanble4: Aouch!! This character could easily be posted for the main comp :] Great job!
  • Wharkk
    Heres a WIP texturing update. I still need to clean up a ton of strokes, work on the skin and face, light direction and a whole mess of other things. I still have a handful of polys that I could use to tighten the profile. Any suggestions?

1GHDB.jpg
    1GHDB
  • Sirdelita
    Offline / Send Message
    FinalBeauty-1.jpg

My Final Beauty Render/presentation shot!

Learned sooooooooooo much from this! I cannot wait for the full competition!
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    congrats on your final sub Sirdelita :D looks great.

Wharkk: Your shapes are good and everything, but you really need to focus on your color compliments for your character. Right now everything is dark and bland and you really need some contrast to spice this thing up.

Nix: holy shit that's cool. can't wait to see what you do with the texture.

ocarian: looking really good. I can tell this is going to be a spectacular piece. I can't wait to see what you do with the spec map.

Bogdanbl4: holy shit we are fucked.

Stinger88: dude, dedicate all texture space to the nipples and leave everything else gray. It'll work. trust me.
  • eazy
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    hello all, i'm new here. everything on this thread looks reeeeaaaally good! I've got some progress to show here. I'd greatly appreciate any critiques or advice. k thx! gl hf out there

shadow_render_wip01.jpg
    shadow_render_wip02.jpg
    shadow_paint_wip01.png

oh, he's a bio-synthetic alien construct, powered by an inner fusion reactor. He can produce electromagnetic fields to control metallic objects around him, as seen by his various sword blades floating behind his back. Depending on the situation, he can attach a different blade to his forearm and adapt to whatever opponent he is facing.

right now he's standing at 1508 tris, so i could throw in more detail and stuff, but i just don't know where... thoughts?

I modeled in Maya and I'm painting in Mudbox
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I think I'm like 95% done :). Just going to add a necklace around her neck (PC LOGO) because I forgot the LOGO...

Mine doesn't even compare to all the others, but I'm proud of myself :).

29lh6xe.png

Good luck in completing guys, time grows shorter.
  • Inpw
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Bogdanbl4 Just stunning!
  • Bogdanbl4
    Arkhange, Joopson, ocarian, Nix, mutatedjellyfish, onelunglewis, Inpw thanks :thumbup:
    itismario wire
    Ithoual thanks! Nice work :thumbup:
    murph awesome skills
    seven that is a great!
    JFletcher: great work!
    Popov-SM Man, glad to see you!
    weisheng nice work
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    @ Bogdanbl4:

Holy crap. Its just insane. I feel unworthy looking at your entry. Great results.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Decided to stick with that simple concept. 2854t, so there's still room for effects and tweaking.

dw5pre03.jpg
  • Ronin
    Offline / Send Message
    Ronin polycounter lvl 6
    I changed the proportions and details. Cause he wasn't looked like a shadow.
    I think now he looks better!
    Today will finish the low mesh.

detailszbrush02.jpg
  • woogity
    phenominal work bogdan!
  • Popov-SM
    Offline / Send Message
    Popov-SM polycounter lvl 15
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Bogdanbl4 That is so damn sexy
  • Firebat
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat polycounter lvl 11
    Still experimenting with colors:

99794788.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Bogdan - Awesome work man! I'd love to see the texture flats if you care to post them :)
  • mutatedjellyfish
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    Hand's done. Now on to the hard stuff!

textures-07a.jpg

textures-07b.jpg

textures-07c.jpg

textures-07d.jpg
  • thiel_joe
    . Ectovoron the Aethertect .
    . . . . . . TechnoMage . . . . . .

domV_thieljoe_technomage_26_render_002_s.jpg

progress on the texture ,
    phase harmonics are beginning to resonate.

eazy : i really like this , awesome concept ! maybe with the extra polies could go into defining the edges of the plated armor youve painted in, or for posing more could be added to shoulder and joint loops. the wrist seems a little small and maybe the elbow could be raised higher so the forearm would be longer and the bicep smaller? other than that im digging the eva proportions , looking forward to seeing more!

ishii : updated design is kick ass , has cool character!
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Wow...lots of pretty things all over this thread!

Since I was with Family for the Holidays I had some time to start on a model, and figured I should post something. As of this moment it's a super rough start to a technomage.

TechnomageWIP1.jpg
  • armians
    Offline / Send Message
    armians greentooth
    it's an early texture wip, but still wanted to show :]

texturewip001.jpg

texturewip002.jpg
  • Arkadius
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    @armians
    Looking pretty cool, but dual blade end is throwing me off. It looks like he would get hurt using it. I think haveing a regular cool looking scythe would work better, but thats just me. Keep on trucking!
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Also vote for single-blade. The dul variety don't make sence to me.
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I almost want to say get rid of the middle handle part and make two tonfa-like blades instead
  • CataFa
    Offline / Send Message
    CataFa polycounter lvl 11
    Bogdanble4: amazing work on the texture.

Going slow but started the texture, not much yet but here is an update.

dmw5_pre_wip03.jpg
  • armians
    Offline / Send Message
    armians greentooth
    thanks for the comments guys!
    yeah i guess i'll remake that into tonfa-like weapons with pretty big blades, just like subburbbum suggested x] thanks again!
  • Levus
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome texturing guys, sorry that I'm not writing some more comments, but I'm in rush!

armians - hello:) Nice to see you here:)

I'm done with hipoly, I think it can be polished some more, but time is running:/
    billyrender14.jpg
  • samhakem
    Offline / Send Message
    samhakem polycounter lvl 14
    Ok...this is hard going, but Im getting there, not sure if Im gonna make the deadline, but at least I will have my first port folio piece that is actually not crap!

Ok so, all the planes u guys can see are just place holders, and the hard surfaces are still going. His body is only a low poly export so not much info there, but will still give his bod a good going over yet...the legs are a nightmare, lol, pardon the pun, most difficult bloody thing ive done...

Levus, love it my man

Armians, dude, are u crazy! Dont touch those blades! Maybe refine em a little, but pushin the envelope is what we do! I see that guy spinning those blades around his body and jumping around like crazy choppin stuff up! In my humble opinion, they are the balls dude.

Brilliant work everyone, I cant wait for the main comp next year!!!! :)

update8.jpg

update9.jpg

update10.jpg
  • Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    Some cool late entries there.

I've got about 400 tris left, and I'm undecided where to spend them. Should I just smooth out the overall surface? Any other crits are highly appreciated as well. :)

dw5p_modelwip3.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates on the armor-painting. Most parts are finished with the first draft. Whats left are the gauntlets and the back-part area with those spikes. Those will be finished tomorrow as well as the cape.

armor_first_draft.png
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    These are all looking nice, guys. armians, Neo_God, I like yours in particular. Everyone has such intricate characters..!

Unwrapped with the basic texturing laid out. Flame shells not pictured; effect textures will be in the lower right empty space. Will be split up into two 512x1024(h), the right side having transparency for dress, teeth & effects. Could probably just do a single 1024, but ehh. Splitting them up will let me shift the UVs of the flame shells horizontally for some simple animation later on.

dw5pre04.jpg
  • Sirdelita
    Offline / Send Message
    @Levus-Did you do that entire sculpt in Zbrush/mudbox? Or did you do the hard surface in max/maya first?
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    @ Bogdanbl4, That is absolutely amazing... I envy your skills! :)

Great work so far everyone. :)

--

beautyshot.jpg

Like always, couldn't think of a decent pose...Well I'm kinda happy with how it turned out, still might polish some shit. :)
  • woogity
    awesome work Jfletcher! really great character cool idea!
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Fletch .... so ...good.

small crit -- the cape looks mega thick, like a mattress. It feels a little awkward at that angle ... maybe it would just droop down? Not very dynamic, but food for thought nonetheless. Seriously, nice work. Love the oil, fire and smoke effects!
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Dang Fletcher, that's pretty damn awesome. Saved to inspiration folder :)
  • onelunglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work fletch, second what r4ptur3 said about the cape. Awesome!
  • amadeux
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    @armians I really like the heavy contours on your model it really defines the charater a whole lot
    @JFletcher You have seriously won me over with your character
    @Levus I really cant wait to see your final
    I really like being part of a competition with so much talent

Here's my progress, Im defenitly not sure I'll make it by next week, but I'll still keep trucking.

This is the final concept I'm settling with. I think its ok. In my approach for modeling I 'm thinking of recursively model some parts and duplicating them around just to cut time and pretty much see where else I can cut corners just to get it done on time, I may be altering the final for that reason. Any suggestions in trimming time would be nice ( besides I should have spend more time on this ).

concept2_wip3.jpg
  • eazy
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    @thiel_joe: Thanks so much for the feedback!
    armians: great texture work! it's coming along very nicely. about the weapon, it looked like in your concept that the two blades were opposite each other... it looked really good like that. kinda like this:
    439px-DarkTemplar_SC2_Cncpt1.jpg

murph, bogdan, jfletch, firebat, and ziggy: your work is so inspirational. train me in the ways of awesome.

everyone is doing really, really great work, too. keep it up!

before:
    shadow_render_wip01.jpg
    after:
    shadow02_wip.jpg

here's a wireframe of my updated model... sitting pretty at 2142 tris. I might salvage my old texture, but i'll probably just start over again. I learn so much from my failures that starting over is usually the best method for me. gl hf all!
  • Stertman
    Great job Fletch.. love it..
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Fletch: Just wow. My jaw dropped and I think I'll have trouble to ever get it up again.

So many great entrys here.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Awesome work Fletcher. I have to say I like the idea of the very thick cape. But I agree that it looks very rigid. Do you have any polys left to maybe fold the end of the cape a bit to make it look more flowing.

@Bogdanbl4: That is just amazing. I'm so jealous. Surely that can't be at 1024. Sick skills. Can we see some textures plz. I'd really like to see how its done.
  • Levus
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    @JFletcher, Bogdanbl4 - Amazing works guys, I'm very impressed!
    @Sirdelita - Hardsurface is sketched in zbrush, then retopologized and polished in max with some polymodeling.
    @walknTalknMonkey - thx:)
  • Cordero
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    Hi all! I'm Cordero from 3dtotal. I just wanted to say, that you have many great characters going on here, and its really cool to compete against you guys! Lots of talent / skill going on here :D

JFletcher: No wonder here. Original idea, perfect execution, and awesome textures. I hope you will join in the main challenge too!

Levus: Great highpoly. I remember your entry from one of the 3dtotal challenges. Had the same style. It was cool back then, and its still great!

CataFa: Crazy face :D

Wharkk: I really like the style you have going on there. You might want to consider an extra color, it seems a bit too "uniform" to me.

ocarian: Great start for sure. Would like to see this one finished.

illusion: Your highpoly blew my mind :D Its coming along great. I like his haircut :D

Ithoual: Outstanding! Sadly, I don't know much about effects, but I know if I see a good one. And yours is :D The metal is excellent! I feel the cloth is a bit weaker compared to the awesome hard surface.

murph: Color are awesome! The whole stuff fits together. Thanks for the video you posted, I'll check out the trial for 3d coat, it looks promising.

skylebones: That head is epic :D Great work man!

kirian: Feels like a character with normal map :D Really good work. Its a bit clean for my taste, but I suppose thats the idea. You might want to consider another color for the eye, somehow it doesn't fit with the red/gold/silver combo.

Firebat: I hope you know that song "Jizz in my Pants". I really like your entry!

JacqueChoi: Your textures are more than awesome. Big grats for this work!

Mrandk: Hilarious! I'd like to see this one finished.

weisheng: style, proportions, end even textures are at this stage are excellent. One of my favorites.

seven: lovely! great style and execution.

onelunglewi: cool character! I really like the crystals end the effects! (and the pose :D)

Good luck to you all both in the mini, and the main challenge!
    May the best site win!
  • seven
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Quick update... I really don't have time to comment on all the works here and those who have commented on my piece thus far as I gotta get going to work but thank you for your feedback and encouragement. There's some awesome stuff here. I will mention @JFletcher as his is fairly recent, I'm a fan.

HIAHB_color_progress_03.jpg