Home Technical Talk

UT 3 models polycounts and specs?

MrD
MrD
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MrD polycounter lvl 18
Hi everybody..do we know about the specs (size of texture and polycounts) of UT3 characters? I was thinking of maybe coming up with my own. Haven´t been doing any modding lately but I have fond memories of UT and this nostalgia inspires me wink.gif
thanks

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You're probably safe in the 4000 - 6000 triangle range. Just a guess though, given current FPS character specs.
    A single 2048x2048 would be more than enough texture space, two 1024x1024 textures is probably ideal.
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    awesome MoP, thank you.
    It´s a blast beeing back here and thinking of UT modding wink.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Well as soon as UT3 or Gears for PC ships all you have to do is load up the editor and look at all the props, characters, weapon models inside the editor and see the tri count and material sheet sizes.

That's probably the easiest way to figure out next gen specs on an Unreal Engine 3 title.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, MrD = Dominik Thor? Or someone else?
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    damn dude, you are revealing my secret identity here ;-)

@Jesse: you are right of course but I think I might have some time for modelling this week and I guess I can start as long as i don´t massively exceed MoP´s educated guess smile.gif
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    was it really 2004 that the old boards went down?
    I´m getting old

anyway good to see that some veterans are still around, Paul. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, good to see you back here Dominik, I look forward to seeing new work from you smile.gif
  • MrD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD polycounter lvl 18
    geez yes, I hope I still know how to use Max.
    (Note to myself: clear tablet from cobwebs, dammit)

I´m working as an investment banker now and all I get to use nowadays is MS Office *shudder*

looking forward to show the young ones how we did it in the old days....well, of course with more polies...and larger textures...and some very interesting texture passes I can´t even pronounce correctly

thanks for the warm welcome!