Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Wandering Mining Facility (WIP)

Hello there!
I'm Sly. and I decided to participate in the UT environment concept art challenge.

I started working on a wandering mining facility
Below is a first sketch I just made.
Updates will of course follow, I want to make it before deadline. :poly124:

Replies

• Sly.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for an update!

I worked a bit on the landscape.
    After some brainstorming about the setting to put the facility in, I decided it should be some sort of grassland landscape with mountains and cliffs.
    The cliff it is climbing is still missing, so is one spike on the lower right - and of course the arena/walking mining facility.
    I wanted to make the sky somewhat exotic, but I'll probably put a planet and its moon in there if it won't turn out too full.

By the next update I guess I'll have the landscape mostly done, it's quite fun and progress is fast. :)
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    The shape reminds me of the Protoss Dragoon from SC1 lol. Interested to see how it turns out. :)
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sly, I'm a little confused on your concept.

Are you going in a direction of a more industrial idea of say Howls Moving Castle? What does a "Wandering Mining Facility" mean to UT? Would players fight on-top of and inside this crab walk machine?

If that's the case I would highly suggest you show more of the machine/playable area in your theme and crop a large section of your open-ended out. Visually speaking this is a pretty unhelpful concept art if Epic wanted to take your idea, it doesn't show enough.

The thing you're trying to sell here is the idea of a moving facility on legs, not the area it walks through so pay more attention to floor-level details players would see and less on your "skybox" of the background. In UT4 making a pretty skybox should come secondary to the most important part of the design (the playable area)
  • Sly.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

And yes, you could say it's basically an industrial version of Howls Moving Castle. ;)

Yeah, I noticed that myself and upscaled the whole thing in the scenery (I think it's by min. half of its size bigger now) so it isn't this small and so that I can show it in detail.
    I intend on making a quick concept of the interior or the platform on it either way though as I'll need two concepts for sure: One to show the overall moving thing and another one to show its design up close. :)
  • Sly.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still got some time left, so I just decided to finish this.

The last steps of progress are shown below, the final version is in the next post.
    I upscaled the "spider" so that the area on it is visible.
    Then I added textures and refined the lighting and in the end tweaked area around it.

If I knew I'd have gotten more time I would have resumed this earlier and made it properly. :P
  • Sly.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last but not least, this is my final result.
    The resolution is 3834x2202 in case this information is in any way interesting or useful.

This is the Liandri Spider, a walking mining facility which can conquer any grounds.
    It is called "spider" since it has 8 legs (of which two are not visible on this concept) and a movable cabin, which could be considered a head with two bucket wheels, basically its "teeth".

The platform on top is used for shuttles to land and transport goods to and resources from the facility. The crew resides on and inside the platform, which is balanced in a way that things don't fall over during movement.
    The setting around it is supposed to be a foreign planet. The idea for such a green setting was the story of the Green World's rebellion. Maybe it could even be that place. ;)