Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M1025 Humvee

I just finished my first game model ever and I'm somewhat happy with the result, knowing I could have done both worse and better.
I've spent so much time on this one that I want it to be done and start something new, this time with the bar set higher.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF19FX1j6u8&hd=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF19FX1j6u8&hd=1[/ame]

Replies

• DaveSilver
    I really like it. The textures are great and you did a very good job overall.

I will say though that i feel like you could seriously cut down on the polycount if you made the wheels a little simpler. They look as if they are sucking up almost your entire polycount. In any case its very good so keep it up.
  • Lightweight
    DaveSilver wrote: »
    I really like it. The textures are great and you did a very good job overall.

I will say though that i feel like you could seriously cut down on the polycount if you made the wheels a little simpler. They look as if they are sucking up almost your entire polycount. In any case its very good so keep it up.

Oh really? I thought I kept the tyres quite low poly compared to what others have done :D Oh well I guess I could save some polys on those indeed.

Thanks for your reply :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Ah! Your video made me dizzy! Or I could just be tired. But anyway that looks really nice, I love how you gave it several skins. Pretty awesome for first game model ever.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd prefer to see some clear, highres images instead of a video though, feels like i couldn't clearly see any of the stuff that matters.
  • Lightweight
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see some clear, highres images instead of a video though, feels like i couldn't clearly see any of the stuff that matters.

Absolutely. Here's 7 images with different skins and environments.
    I sure regret the early stages when working the UV and normal map on this model. Instead of adding slightly more geometry to smooth corners, I did the "mistake" of making those edges hard and split them in the UV. This resulted in a doomsday headache when painting the texture. All the seams in the UV were really visible once applying dirt, grain and discolorations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most game engines calculate each UV border anyway, so splitting UVs of a simple plane in half, requires it to calculate each new vertex/border as well, taking up just as much realtime computation as if just adding more geometry.
    Splitting UVs and separating when baking might be beneficial in alot of situations, but not mine for the most part. Texturing easily took 5 times longer due to this. Do more people agree with this?

Here are all pictures: http://www.cambranddesigns.com/portfolio-item/m1025-jeep-game-model/
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    needs a bit more spec, looks like sandpaper.

Looks good though
  • Lightweight
    frell wrote: »
    needs a bit more spec, looks like sandpaper.

Looks good though

I know what you're refering in regards to the specular, and this I struggled with alot; military vehicles seems to never have that glossy surface like ordinary cars. I looked through alot of references and tried to replicate this as much as possible:

Saudi_Arabian_Humvee.jpg

IMG_7685.jpg

The reflection/spec is far from sharp. I'm not saying you're wrong because I feel the same way a bit, but when increasing the specularity of the overall paint just makes it look like a sportscar. :poly122:
  • Spitfire