Home General Discussion

to sculpt or not to sculpt

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I have been thinking recently of not doing any more zbrush stuff. It's a simple thing really in that most of my work of late, bar 1 project has been subd,no zbrush in sight( except for morph targets)
It takes me about 5 times longer to sculpt something than to model it.
TBH my zbrushing is ok, but It makes me annoyed at times don't even get me started on retopo grr yeah model something, sculpt it then spend days rebuilding it?
Modelling, then texturing without zbrush in the pipeline is sooo much simpler, but i am having trouble dragging myself away from Zbrush as i have invested so much time in it.
have you guys had these kind of doubts?
I am not going back to 1000 poly models with 256 textures, but was thinking of going for the more pixar style, not sure really.
I think that suits mi style better

Replies

• DataDragon
    How did you approach the Bruce Willis model?
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    with extreme annoyance lol the point is i did not enjoy sculpting it at all
  • DataDragon
    See if you can create a great character model faster with 90%+ SubD modeling. I'm no expert, but I definitely see your point, SubD is fast and accurate; however, Zbrush can give you a certain freedom that is useful for exploration. With new algorithms, the retopo process will evaporate over the next few years.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thats what i am thinking really, do as much as I can with subd then zbrush a little.
    I don't enjoy sculpting as a process. when I was a 2d artist i was mainly in to watercolours and did not enjoy mediums that were 'thick' like acrylic or oils. its the same with sub d vs zbrush in that i see subd as watercolour and zbrush as oils and acrylic.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I know where you're coming from. I always try to model things traditionally as much as possible. However, I still find sculpting nice when it involves taking the model you made with SubD and then adding additional details through sculpting (i.e wrinkles, bumps, dents). But eh, it still comes with a lot of hassle like the sculpting program crashing a lot even over simple things. :poly127:

It's also more fun to sculpt when the object in question is completely organic (i.e think mud) in which case, sculpting actually feels like the way to go.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Pretty much the exact opposite here. I love starting with a dynameshed sphere or zsphere armature and sculpting it out. Separating the art side from the technical side of modelling has been a total blessing for me.

This is for organics though. I still wouldn't use zbrush for hard surface stuff, other than a quick concept sculpt.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I get what you mean about the simplicity of subD. I am pushing myself to use dynamesh and also trying hard surface with Z just for the hell of it. There are a lot of time saving tools there and for experimentation you cant get better.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think its only when I am trying to do stuff that is quite realistic that my zbrush stuff falls down a bit. It just takes so damn long as you never get rid of the tiny annoying flaws.

I think some people are more predisposed to be good at sculpting than say texturing and maybe I am just a texture artist who can model a bit.

I really need to resolve this in my head or I will end up just getting stuck in a loop and
    not create anything.

CheeseOnToast - I have tried working like that, but find it just too time consuming overall and I am not really a 'sketcher'.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Machine made = Sub-D model
    Organic = Sculpt.

A lot of stellar artists work like you. It's a normal process. Sculpt some wrinkle details and folds but get your base shapes done in modelling.

Theres still quite a bit of work to be found as a handpainted artist.

I personally love the pixar style myself (making a sub-D modelled side project game).

Im actually using zbrush as a sketch tool then remodelling it in sub-D when proportions are where i want them.
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I'd say give your self an objective when going for personal stuff with some time limits so that you don't feel like you are sinking all of your time into one phase of the character.

You can break it down, for e.g, 3 days on the main shapes in, then spend 3 days in zbrush and see how much progress you can do on the details with a time contraint. That way it forces you to be efficient and keep track of time which helps a lot becoming faster or better in areas you might feel you are less confortable . In the end, even if the character isn't polished as it could be, you will have gotten some xp out of it .

EDIT: I also feel the process is tedious but in the end just make sure you have fun and keep learning all the time, thats the most important for personal pieces imo. : )
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ruz, I am totally with you on this. While it is true that a model can be done from start to finish in Zbrush without the need of any other program, I personally tend to find this process highly inefficient and actually quite slow. I think there are a few different reasons for this difference of perception from one artist to another.

- Online videos of people working in Zbrush are usually 4x timelapse or more (probably because they look cooler that way, but also because watching someone work at 1x can be a bit of a waste of time indeed). When played back at normal speed, even videos coming from "experts" can be excruciatingly slow to watch, and honestly kind of inefficient.

- People's art background are different. I personally don't feel like Zbrush/Mudbox are successful at emulating clay *at all*, as they feel more like working with toothpaste especially when there is no structurally sound basemesh used as a based to be detailed. For some reason I feel like manipulating polygons is much closer to real sculpting, probably because flat polygons have a definite structure and direction to them - just like a slab of clay.

- And lastly, I think that expectations for time and efficiency vary greatly from one individual to the next. Some are totally fine sitting through a painful process (like doing retopo tasks in Zbrush instead of using a dedicated program for that), while others just can't. It's actually quite fascinating how personalities vary in that regard !

That being said, when collaborating with other artists I have no issue with them tackling a modeling tasks one way or another, as long as the results are good and timely. However, if a particular process makes a given modeling task either inaccurate or too slow, then things should be addressed.

I hope that makes sense somehow !
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Are you saying that you want to do stuff like anatomy and folds with sub-d modeling? i can completely understand doing hardsurface items outside of zbrush but I can't imagine sub-d being faster for stuff like anatomy and folds. I will say that I do my basemeshes outside of zbrush normally before I sculpt on them because that is still faster for me and gives me a base to start retopo from so I don't have to start from complete scratch all the time. In my personal work, I still enjoy building stuff from scratch for practice of course so dynamesh is great.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think everyone works a bit differently ! I personally like to mix things up, especially at the blockout stage - merging primitives together, running some Dyntopo on them (Blender's adaptative subdivision remeshing), using sculpting brushes on polygonal models to adjust them freely, and so on.

I think inefficiencies tend to arise when artists stick to a specific program just for the sake of avoiding to export out a model. Now of course I would love it if things were 100% unified ... but these days are long gone now (or maybe, far in the future !)

However I do grant the fact that working with polygonal modeling does require more tool research and being proactive with one's workflow optimisation - something that in and out itself can take years. That sure is one of the severe drawbacks of that approach.
  • loggie24
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    I always sculpt as much as possible unless we are talking hard surface stuff. It really gives me much more freedom as i can make edits much quicker and add things that otherwise would be hard to do. Sculpting can quickly get dirty though..
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I couldn't imagine creating characters without ZBrush.

Well, I used to model them only with "image planes" poly by poly, when I started in December 2012, but soon after I found the world of sculpting in Sculptris... that was the biggest relief ever. And soon I switched to ZBrush, and there's no going back.

I love sculpting, but sometimes it feels a bit frustrating adjusting the anatomy and proportions (for too long) when you you'd really like to move on to clothing and hair. But I still want to sculpt the underlaying anatomy properly before anything else. I'm an anatomy snob, kinda. Always finding errors and areas for improvement from my sculpts...

For me the retopology/modeling, UV unwrapping and texturing is more faster than sculpting. It's just that anatomy and folds are slowing me down. Even though it feels frustrating from time to time, I still enjoy the sculpting process.
  • skankerzero
    I just model in Max.

I never felt comfortable using Zbrush. I hate the interface so much. This is why I began using Mudbox. Mudbox felt more fluid to me but even then I couldn't help but feel that I was wasting a lot of time on details that wouldn't even appear in the normal map.
    It's easy to get carried away in those packages and forget the overall focus of your asset.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    some interesting points raised here. wizo thats good advice. I need to stop fiddling and just finish stuff even if its a bit lacking in someway.

Pior i agree about sculpting programs not really emulating real clay. I mean who uses a brush to sculpt with :)
    Joking aside I feel it would be nice if you could have some hybrid method where you could paint subd shapes and, have them automatically merge in to the surrounding topology.would be nice for cloth for example and would not need a retopo stage ie WYSIWYG

or have a big library of common cloth shapes that you could just add to your mesh with some clever editor.

I thought about trying it in max using redndered splines on top of a base mesh
    ( this would be for doing cloth folds), but I am not really tech enough and its probabyl not even going to work:/

Not really enjoying cloth simulators stil, as they are too hard to control, but for certain situations they are ok.

I have mentioned cloth a lot here as I seem to do mainly cloth in zbrush these days, but my point still applies to heads and other things.

I find the disconnnect between the final in game mesh and the original base mesh disconcerting and too convoluted.
    I have seen people sculpt detailed cloth then do an amazingly detailed retopo, which could virtually be on its own without any additional normal maps.
    I am thinking what is the point of that ie virtually doing it twice. what if you have to make corrections at the last minute?

Its like he is only sculpting this to get the base for the retopo
    which looks great, but there is not too much need for a normal map on some of the cloth bits
    Retopo2_21.jpg

This one is more obvious. It would make a great subd model in its own right
    shirttopoback2.jpg

My overall point is that building something and subdividing it looks much nicer than a lumpy cloth/head model and in terms of speed is much quicker and nicer to look at IMHO. I would not like to build subd cloth from scratch. I have tried it and its just not viable for me time wise( and artistically)

I might try and approach it a bit different ie if I was doing a shirt for example, quickly block out the folds with basic forms and then retopo it straight away with the intention of further deveoping the retopo version( maybe just in the 3d prigram)
    It might be more what I am looking for and i do think that maybe I am more suited for the disney style of work, where the fine detail is minimal and the focus is more on silhouettes and materials.

The closest I have got to nice looking final mesh from zbrush is when I decimate a high poly mesh down to about 2000 polys( see below). It picks out the main shapes/silhouettes brilliantly, but outputs tris. I would still have to do a retopo
    decshirt.jpg

I love the minimalist/faceted look of this, but with good retopo and and 1 subdivision it would look ok , in that the superfluous lumpy shapes have gone leaving clean recognisable shapes like a structure or framework.

I nee a new tool called 'topo painter' which paints directional topolgy and automatically and blends in between the main shapes with nice even quads lol
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm not really gonna talk about which is best, because i'm not sure i qualify as an expert. however...

what i really love about the sculpting workflow is that it's less rigid and allows me to kind of "free flow" any ideas i might have.

i find it easier to expand on those ideas in zbrush than i would in max where i have to consider topology and subdivision consequences of any changes.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well there are things I certainly like about the process, but I think I need to look at various things in my pipeline. it may be just a case of overthinking certain aspects or even just adjusting the way i work a bit rather than just giving up on it.
    i am improving on the actual sculpting side, it's getting an end result that I am happy with at the end of it all.

skankerzero - yeah wish I could just do everything in max, would make things a bit easier. zbrush is just so great for doing facial morph targets though, that's one aspect I really enjoy
    I did try Mudbox, but it was a bit slow on my machine
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    >My overall point is that building something and subdividing it looks much nicer than a lumpy cloth/head model and in terms of speed is much quicker and nicer to look at IMHO.

This kinda left me scratching my head. Sub-d is great but for anatomy/cloth zbrush is a very powerful tool. I learned heads/anatomy/cloth in sub-d and although its my subjective opinion, zbrush is just so far ahead of trying to do this stuff in sub-d its not even funny. I couldn't even imagine going back to that very slow, much less results focused workflow. - as for 'lumpy', not sure why you threw that in there, it only looks lumpy if its poorly done, and people do just as much poor work in sub-d as sculpting.

As for the rest of it, if you feel more comfortable doing sub-d then do it. If the quality is there and you can do it without losing any speed then there is no reason not too. But I highly suspect that for at least realistic characters you're going to see a pretty steep dropoff in time and quality. Beyond that, if a client says to me, "its generally nice but can you modify x" - it takes me like 10 seconds to smooth out that area and redo it, whereas with sub-d its much more difficult to modify.

Personally I like both sub-d and zbrush - again I learned cg my first couple years in sub-d so I am definitely not afraid of it. I do quick sub-d for specific parts then pull them into zbrush and sculpt on them. Same for hard-surface - sub-d then if I need an extra push I bring it into zbrush for booleans and IMM and wear etc.

And as for retopo, its just another way to work. I do it that way because I think I get a better game-res mesh when I know where my detail is and what my finalized surface looks like, and I find it easier/more efficient/faster than trying to modify the sub-d or basemesh. Even when I'm making a basemesh from something I did in sub-d I tend to make the game-res from scratch unless its like true hard-surface, like a gun for instance. This goes double for heads/clothes.

Last - clothing sims. I think they're more powerful than you're giving them credit for, but that might be because you haven't spent much time with it. You don't have to do the whole mesh in sim, just do something super basic and use it as a base-mesh, that has been my go-to workflow for about two years now and its much more efficient for me at least.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i get your point ysalex, it may be fast for you to sculpt a pair of trousers for example, but it isn't that fast when you have to finalise it ie call it done. much harder to get to that stage in zbrush I think( plus you have to retopo the bugger).
    with sub d I never intended to try and build realistic cloth with it, it just takes too long, but there is the rub, do i want to do more creative stuff with less detail, or focus on hyper detailed stuff.
    I get the same money for both , but one takes me 5 times longer.
    seems like a no brainer, but i am finding it hard giving up on stuff, just because it's hard:)

most of my clients want 'less' detail than I generally put in, so modification it's not really a problem with subd , it's the overall shapes they tend to worry about and they are easy to change.

i tend to use whatever suits the task at hand, but in the last five years nearly all my 'games' work has been non zbrush, so i am thinking maybe its time to stop practising this stuff so much in my spare time
    texturing is my main thing really, so basic models with nice texture should maybe become more of my focus.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Sounds more like you're talking about doing stylized stuff, which is kind of a different conversation because you're not saying "I want to cut out zbrush" you're saying "I want to do more stylized simplified stuff, stuff which doesn't require zbrush."

Yeah if you're going to compare the workflow for something with no real detail to a much more complicated model then sure it's kind of a no brainer that one is faster.

But if we're talking about more modern realistic characters than it's not even a competition, you simply can't get the same results from sub-d and certainly not in the same timeframe.

Plus pbr is much more reliant on normal maps for detail than since you can't just stick all that faked lighting into the diffuse anymore, making the higher res and mid range details you get out of a zbrush sculpt that much more important.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I think you are sculpting to get a template but also trying things out while rotating. You can draw a concept that looks great but blocking in with more detail faster in Z lets you look over the whole object from every angle. I think the first model you showed is extremely detailed and it looks like it is intended for close up hires animation. For a fairly detailed game model you could cut most of that stuff out, even if it looks super the way it is :)

I think it is also handy to start off modeling using subd to get the feel of edgeflow which makes retopoing less of a chore. I dont do everything in Z but I like to force myself to try things out as it often makes you look at your process from another angle. It can be inspiring when you are making stuff for yourself.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ysalex - I am not totally cutting out zbrush, because even with some of the stylised stuff I did, I quickly sculpted out the creases near the elbows/shoulders and quickly retopod that area only. So most of it was done sub and a bit of z to get some of the more difficult shapes. so although stylised it was n't so simplistic that it didn't need a bit of z input, but I did n't really feel contrained by zbrush working this way.
    some people maybe consider themselves as digital sculptors, but i don't, it's just another tool to help my workflow.

Kanga - yeah I think maybe I have to work a bit looser with z, i just blocking out and focusing on the main shapes, even doing a quick retopo on test areas of my mesh, see how that is working.
    I love the cleaness of sub d, but also can't totally abandon sculpting where it helps me work a bit quicker.
    maybe just answering my own questions here, but it helps to sound things out sometimes.

I might even make a library of commom cloth shapes which I can quickly add to my subd work.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hm you can always just model Subd and then add a final touch to your highpoly in zBrush, why would you abandon sculpting altogether ?
    As long you do not change major shapes, the lowpoly, UVs etc do not require any change, fire and forget.
    Have you tried marvellous designer for clothing ? It requires retopo but you can get a good base for many things very quickly.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Shrike, the ideas is that to model clothes subd is not particularly intuitive.
    i am aiming to just get the main forms down in z, then build a subd version over that
    I do use marvelous designer and although its quite nice, it has that look doesn't it?
    I often use max cloth to get a base also, but its not as good as MD by a long shot

anyway I am going to experimient some more, and see what i can come up with