Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

art direction for my Portfolio

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
I have created a Portfolio website. I have removed all Movies Stuff because I want focus apply to the Games Industry locally in germany. http://www.hanshuebener.com/

I know some Browsergame & Mobile companies like Goodgames & Bigpoint there I would like to apply as Trainee or some other Companie near Hamburg & Berlin.

I have seen some portfolios of there stuff on linkedin, but I am not sure if should go for nextgen assets via BPR or do handpainted assets or do simply both?

I have read the awesome 15 STEPS TO LANDING YOUR DREAM ART JOB Article on artstation.com, and listened to the CrunchCast from Chris Holden. And change my complex website to a more simple structured portfolio.

I am not sure what to create for my portfolio. I can only say that my Anatomy skills not good enough for to work as Character Artists. And other say you have a long journey ahead. I thought then I do more in the direction stylized 3D Environment Artist & 3D Props Artist.

I think I need to created 15 Pieces and a good presentation. maybe I can create a demo reel with the assets.

Should I apply as Trainee 3D Artist with one or two styled comic handpainted lowpoly characters?

Replies

• Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    hi independ-hans,

First off, your home page lands the viewer on a badly rendered and lit model in t-pose. that's a no-no ! I don't know if that's a good idea to remove your movie stuff. It can still be interesting to see and above all it leaves you with almost nothing to show.

IMO, take your time to build strong assets, even if there are not a lot of them.
    I'm an intern and from what I've learned we need to have near-industry quality assets in order to be considered available even for a trainee program.

Few good assets are more valuable than numerous bad ones. the people who work in the company expect us to be as autonomous as possible, so they don't waste their time explaining us everything. Quality over quantity.

And aside from the basics like clean topology, anatomy, believable materials, sober and efficient lighting, etc, you should have nice presentation shots with shaded and wireframe assets, textures breakdown, polycount and tex resolution. Avoid putting all your different views on separate images.

Your favorite field of work and your target company should logically match. If you like doing low poly handpainted assets, find a mobile game studio, if you like photorealistic stuff apply for Crytek for example. Not the opposite : make stuff BECAUSE you like a certain company.

But don't do like me and specialize too early. Try a bit of everything and show that you can be versatile.

Personally I want to apply for a character artist position, but I have no experience. The thing is that in most studios all the characters are done by trustworthy people with a few years of experience behind them because it's too complex for an intern.

I'll just finish by : do what you like the most ! And you'll find the company that suits you.
  • seandxyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seandxyz polycounter lvl 5
    The topology on that character though...
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Amaury Thanks for the nice Feedback. I moved back my movie stuff back on the site.
    I need maybe bring back my drawings as well.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seandxyz wrote: »
    The topology on that character though...
    You are right the topology is bad. The lines from the nose should go into the ear not above.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have changed the Images link to an animated Info slideshow, do you think this is a no-no too?
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Slideshows and animations are unnecessary and annoying while looking through a portfolio.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not a big fan of it, mainly because it doesn't serve any real purpose.
    Keep it as simple as possible and make the minimum amount of clicks required in order to get to your work.

A nice example is : http://www.gavimage.com/
    sober webdesign that takes no time to load
    you click on it, bam, instant cool thumbnails that makes us want to discover them all.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @billymcguffin I have removed it, putting the portfolio on site one click less.

@Amaury On that portfolio it open for each images a new window, is this the way to go?
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have installed a wordpress plugin "FancyBox", Now it is possible to save Images from my portfolio.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    My advice would be to scrap everything, register on ArtStation and fill it up with some quality assets.

If you don't want to do that then just merge the "movie" and "home" pages. And please, take out that robot, it just shows your lack of topology understanding. The sheriff is a much better character :thumbup:
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pigart Thanks for the Advice, I have updated my Artstation page.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/independ-hans

Do you think an artstation profile could be better than my domain portfolio?
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you for applying to Goodgames make more BPR or handpainted stuff?
    They do Unreal Engine 4 projects as I know.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Probably hand painted, just try to match their style.
    Honestly you still have a long way to go before you should start thinking of applying somewhere.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pigart Thanks for feedback

I did some research and some german news says Goodgames studio does making a pc game.
    With Dr. Michael Böni as Head of Coregames, who was on SquareEnix (Nosgoth) und Bungie (Destiny).

I go ahead and do both realistic looking props with BPR and lowpoly handpainted art. I do experiment what I like more.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    You have to establish who you want to become and make models for your portfolio based on that. Look at other portfolios how other artists present their works.
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    I am not sure any of this work will land you a job. This still life sketch is prob. your single best image. I would pick one discipline and focus on it. It looks like you enjoy characters. I would only focus on still life and learning proportions. Just do character after character and get tons of feedback. Not trying to be a downer, just giving you honest feedback.

Keep plugging away.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Forget the folio and the application, just work work work work and post your stuff on polycount get critique, do better, because right now you won't land a job with this. To have a job even as a junior your folio need to be as good as what you see in the game you play.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great feedback

@Zi0 The presentation is also a skill I need to improve.

@oxygencube I enjoy characters, I won't stop doing this, but I should do enviroment & props too

@Odow I think on that and continue to work a lot and post my stuff on polycount.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    I don't think you're quite there yet, but everyone has the potential to be great if you stay persistent. If you can save up any extra cash I recommend taking courses from uartsy or the gnomon workshop, specifically anatomy related courses.

I read this the other day and found it completely accurate and inspiring. Good luck!
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jhoythottle thanks for uartsy anatomy course and I know the gnomon workshop, great tutorials, I bought some of maya and mental ray zbrush some years ago.

start learning anatomy now and maybe I watch some of the the gnomon workshop tutorials. the subscription model is interesting for me!

edit:

Oh I see the gnomon workshop have Online Courses, they are pricey but prop worth it.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Scrap your site for now, focus on Artstation for the time being. Make better arts.

With that said; apart from improving your arts, you also need to either rig or just pose your model. You are lacking the beauty shot of your character. T-pose render is good for a construction render, but you need a splash image to show off. One which you can also zooom in on the face. Secondly, you need better UV wrapping. Try to pack everything into one single texture sheet. Then try to pack everything into 2 texture sheets. (skin on one, clothing on another. etc.)

Because I have no idea what this is. And it doesn't look too good either.
    hans-hubener-bw-hemd-bm2k.jpg?1439932060

Do something like this.
    JeremyKoharTexturePage.jpg

Lastly, I'm not sure if showing hypershade is anything helping. (it's not to me)
    hans-hubener-shader2-1.jpg?1439931745
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern Thanks for feedback, I consider the posing for my next character and you totally right showing the hypershade is pointless. These both Characters are fully rigged but that credit goes not to me. I could pose them both, and propy should do it and give credit to my team mates.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skeleton work in Progress
    Qcj1ZXJ.jpg
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two Days Later - Skeleton work in Progress
    ZbJAy4P.jpg
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    What are you using for reference? Your neck looks too short.

Here´s the spine for example. It´s made of 7 neckbones, 12 chest and 5 backbones. Then the sacrum and the bone that hurts terrible when its broken.

http://www.eesom.com/bilderpool/rueckenschmerzen/pop_wirbelsaeule.jpg
    http://www.jameda.de/gesundheits-lexikon/bilder/big/506859.jpg

It looks like you are doing the ribcage and the spine as one object, remember that all those ribs and spine bones are separate objects only held together by some cartilages.

And it looks like you raised your subdivisions really quick, it´s better to define the shape at a lower subdivision stage. Otherwise your meshes will become a blobby mess which happens to a lot of meshes in your portfolio.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Wiki Thanks for for the feedback
    I use Stephen Rogers Peck: Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist for references.
    I do the COURSE ARTISTIC ANATOMY IN ZBRUSH from www.uartsy.com
    I have adjusted the proportions to 8 head tall skeleton.
    I need to resculpt it probably the spine and the sacrum but first I skulp the arm and leg bones.

cLJXpqj.jpg
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I want focus apply to the Games Industry locally in germany. http://www.hanshuebener.com/

I know some Browsergame & Mobile companies like Goodgames & Bigpoint there I would like to apply as Trainee or some other Companie near Hamburg & Berlin.

That´s exactly what I wanted and they gave me no chance...

Good luck! : )
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    It's always hard to start, think silhouettes, think masses, main volumes, main directions. When you are happy with that and sure that you stuck to your reference at every points at this stage you will move forward to the medium pass of detail.

For exemple I don,t think your rib cage have the right angle or that your spine is at the right place so don't sculpt it right now.

Keep it up.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G wrote: »
    That´s exactly what I wanted and they gave me no chance...

Good luck! : )

Thanks, usually have much luck but in this case I need a awesome portfolio & luck.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Keep me updated about it ;)
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    If the grid in the background represent "8 heads" your head isn't even in line with it, or the right size. I don't know how else to say this, but your head should be 1 head in height on that grid.

Once you do that, the nipple line should be at the second line on your grid, the pubic arch at the 4th and just below the knee at the 6th. Right now, your knee is directly on it.

Also, the bone on the lower leg look like a dog toy and it's way too thick. There is no bone in your body that is perfectly straight like that either. If you're following along with Ryan Kingslien, he definitely mentions opposing angles and natural gesture and curvature of the human skeleton. Take your time to get this right, no need to rush.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedbacks
    @jhoythottle You are right my skeleton was 7,8 Head high and did not align with the grid.
    I have tweaked a little now it should be match. also the secondary measurement alignment are really useful thanks for that.

@Vincent_DEROZIER I try to follow your guide, feeling a little like in a drawing class.

I working now on the Arm and and Leg bones so then dont look like dog toys.

Edit:
    I have updated the Proportions because the legs was too long.

wjGlqni.jpg
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Going off what pigart said, make an artstation, use that while you work on your art.

The best advice I can give is, figure out what art you want to do, which looks like its character art, think of a studio that inspires you, look into the artists portfolios from that studio, and match/exceed that quality of work. Keep grinding that art!
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    x@Chris Thanks for feedback

I have worked on the Shaft Bones.

T5fjMju.jpg
  • Rakart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should gather more references and use them.

Just look at the pelvis. He's backward.
    upgrade5-skeleton-4.jpg

Your bones are a bit too boxy, again look at this femur

femur.png

He looks closer to a cylinder than a cube.

Same goes for other bones like the humerus who should be a bit thicker

humerus-1.jpg

And you also should keep in mind that bones aren't floaty objects held together by muscles. They insert into each other. That's why you can't turn your head 360° or bend your knees forward.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rakart Thanks for feedback

I have worked on the pelvis

1favY24.jpg
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reworked the skeleton, what you think is the pelvic better?

• independ-hans
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    The sachrum is still inverted. The sides of the hip have to come out of the sachrum-bone. Currently there is no connection between the sachrum and the hip-bones.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @.wiki I have fixed this, thanks for pointing it out