Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

World of Maoricraft WIP

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
Here's a little project I've been working on and I thought It'd be a good idea to post my progress on here. It's a hand painted scene that will be rendered in UDK.

So here's the concept:

EnvConceptcopy-2.jpg

and here are some of the textures I've got so far:

MaoriCraftGrass.jpg

MaoriCraftSand.jpg

MaoricraftVolcanicRock.jpg

MaoricraftCliffs-1.jpg

I'll continue posting updates as I progress. Crits and comments are greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• Scampbell
    Offline / Send Message
    Scampbell polycounter lvl 7
    looking good i do notice a small seem at the bottom of this last rock texture.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed it up. Thanks for catching that! :D
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update of my scene in UDK. I've included dirt, and added in some trees. Also, I made some adjustments to the cliff texture.

I plan on replacing the fallen tree with one with less foliage and some moss on the trunk.

WIP

MaoriCraftUDKWIP1.jpg

TreeRender.jpg

Cliffs
    MaoriCliffs2.jpg

Dirt
    MaoriDirt.jpg

I'll continue posting updates as I make progress. Crits/comments are greatly appreciated. :)
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, here's a WIP river bottom texture I've been working on.

RiverBottomWIP.jpg

and here it is in the scene:

RiverBottomTest.jpg

Crits/comments are appreciated. :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    I really like the way the water and the river bottom work together. Looks great. Are you going to be breaking up the transition from water to land a bit more? Throw in some plants and rocks along the shore line?
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I plan on adding in some rock/stone meshes and landscape foliage. :)
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's an update of my WIP.

I created heightmaps for all my landscape textures so now they can transition into each other. :D

T2rxW.jpg

I felt the original structure in my concept looked too miniature, so I'm seeing what I can do to revamp it. Also, I'm also working on iterations of the architecture textures. So far I've got iterations for the roof, walls and pillars.

1pW3D.jpg

I played around with the lighting and composition and I also added in a placedholder structure. I plan on adding doodads like rocks, boulders, grass in the environment to help bring the piece together better.

szqw3.jpg

More updates to come!

• Cexar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    The water seems... Crooked? Keep going dude, getting an Teldrassil feeling :)
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
    i am crazy in love with your leaves and rocks textures!! they are amazing!! i would have to go with Cexar, it seams you water is a bit slanted. And the the dimensions of the house make it look a bit tiny, maybe once the rocks and grass are placed in, it wont look so small anymore, but maybe its the effect your looking for too!

i love how your texture blend all together! I'm a bit new to that, is it just an additional black and white map that indicates what is higher and lower in the texture?

I love your style! i cant wait to see more of that scene! :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Did this quick paintover for you.

dAhUv.jpg

PICTUES > words.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, guys! :)

Yeah the water was looking crooked because the banks weren't even. One was flat and the other dove into the water. I raised the water level and now the water doesn't look "crooked" anymore. haha.

fTDse.jpg

@rorozilla: Thanks, man. Yeah, the rocks and foliage would really help the scale. I'm going to be getting to that and I will be sure to post them when I do. Right now I'm working on some architectural textures though. As for the blending landscape textures, they're each utilizing a heightmap stored within their alpha channel. The game engine picks up the info as height. Darker --> deep --> transparent; Lighter --> higher --> opaque. Having heightmaps in all the textures allow them to blend with each other without needing to create transitional textures. :)

Here's the roof texture I've been working on:

wz1Zq.jpg

Here it is on a mesh I'm testing it on. (building is not final):

ZZXBE.jpg

More updates to come!

• gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    This is coming together really nicely :)
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    This is so cosy!
    You´re close to nailing a perfect atmosphere for this scene, I like it! Great work on the textures. I really like the cliffs!

I would suggest you make the house/temple a bit crooky, especially on the roof, to make it look a bit old.

Keep up the good work and I´ll follow your progress! :)
  • Pickle
    Loving the roof texture. I know the mesh for the building is not final but maybe make sure that at the bottom edge of the roof the tiles line up cause right now some of them spill over and look a little weird. Great job on the scene though. Can't wait to see more.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Great textures... but the way you have the water fading into the distance kills your depth.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on the structure for my scene. I'm still working on most of these, but here's what I've got so far:

KSIyH.jpg

umF0W.jpg

51sJG.jpg

PrTsv.jpg

nxtpd.jpg

j5mse.jpg

PGyp4.jpg

PFofR.jpg

More updates to come. Crits and comments are greatly appreciated. :)
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Man, this is really beautiful. I'm in love with these textures. Great job!
  • Akamo
    Offline / Send Message
    Akamo polycounter lvl 6
    Really digging the vibe here. Nice work. Maybe missing some ambient occlusion where parts come together? Or do you plan on rendering that?
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe it's just me but the brown wood and the dark grey wood clash pretty bad with each other. The roof also clashes pretty badly with that red.

But overall I like the textures and the style. Good job.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i agree with tobbo. The colors are all over the place and the red is overwhelming.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, guys. :)

Should I just desaturate or change the hue of some of the colors to make them fit better?

@Jramauri: I can bake an AO for this, otherwise I was going to let the engine take care of that.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    these textures r insane
    good work
    only put some color variation to spice it up a lil

desaturate: ur light has no color, so blackness=0 sat
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    You need to get some vertex lighting baked into this bad. It will make this look tons better.
  • Sayanora
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    I think the easiest way to harmonize your palette would be to stick to one type of wood. At the moment, the dull looking variety is working better than the others. Keep the red paint, just dial it back some so it's not so overwhelming. You could chip some of it away from the statues to reveal the wood underneath. The teal roof is pretty extreme and doesn't really complement the red. Maybe try a more subdued blues with red/violet accents thrown in. Finally, fix the end caps of your wood beams. That soft light on the ends made no sense at all :)

I made a paintover to better illustrate what im talkin about

shad0wpaintover.jpg

Hope you don't mind me bird shittin all over your work, thought it added that extra touch of class :D
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Dude this is looking sweeet! I really like Sayanora Paint over. Your red statues are killer.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, everyone! :)

It's been a while since I've last updated. I just wanted to add some plants into my scene so I've been busy with that.

Here's the scene update:

W6Khd.jpg

Building with updated textures:

xAqQJ.jpg

Plants:

iSthg.jpg

MN4UO.jpg

I'm going to be putting all the plant textures onto a single, larger map, but there they are individually

fyV0z.jpg

i25Gz.jpg

BfqYh.jpg

TC0Vo.jpg

I'm going to be working on some rocks for my scene and I'd like to get feedback on the meshes before I start on those textures.

Ygsnm.jpg

Crits and comments are greatly appreciated.:)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    the house looks really nice and balanced now man! keep it up!
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alberto Rdrgz: Thanks, man. :D

Been working on the rock textures.

eaP3a.jpg

J6ElE.jpg

5RBOH.jpg

Crits and comments are appreciated. :)
  • Xelan101
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    I kinda feel like the two small rocks could use a little more detail. Because compared to the other rocks that have all these neat ridges and cracks and patterns they feel a bit simple, they need a little love too haha.
  • hathol
    Offline / Send Message
    hathol polycounter lvl 6
    man i am in love with your textures! GJ i wish i had a bit more skill at painting. I dont usually comment on other peoples work but your house is so awesome that the one, small thing that sticks out I just had to point out.

if you made the wood slats on for the front of the house vertical i think it would bring a lot more cohesion to your scene especially in contrast to the way that your dock is layed out. something just looks off about the planks being horisontal.. i dunno. love it otherwise tho! keep up the amazing textures too!
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, guys! :)

@Xelan101: Yeah I had intended those little ones to be bare because they were so small, but I will add some shapes so they fit better with the others.

@hathol: Thanks! I've rotated the wood on the building. you can see it in the scene, but I will post a closeup when I post an update for the little rocks.

Here's my scene with rocks added:

prqWJ.jpg

Crits and comments are greatly appreciated. :D
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I'd say that a house that leads down to a river with stairs isn't very logical ^^ I really like the textures and your color palette! Great work, the only thing I think you need to work on is the composition.
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Great to see you working on this again! I think you should experiment with some lightning and see what you might get. Perhaps a night or dusk/dawn lightning-style. Keep up the good work!
  • Jbird
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    wow! geat work! really nice art style and mood.

BTW the stairs to the river seems very natural to me, I would sit on that patio all day and maybe fish or swim a bit once in a while :D.
  • Nix
    Offline / Send Message
    Nix polycounter lvl 13
    I love love love love that house, the design of it, the colors, everything.

If I had to think of any crits... well, do you really need the line loops on the inside of the flowers? They do give a nice subtle little bit of curvature to the petals, but it seems all these flowers are gonna be seen from quite a distance anyway. Unless they'll be seen from closer up at some point?

Anyways, keep it up, great stuff. :D
  • SoulReaper
    Damn, that is one nice marae. Lovin' the environment as well.
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Looks werry nice, i would bend the side on the roof as it looks on the rop and like in concept to make it look more interesting. I also liked the concept style when the house is motre clean and not so many statues.and also maybey bend some stuff to add more variation alot of things looks so perfectly straight now. :)
  • hathol
    Offline / Send Message
    hathol polycounter lvl 6
    this piece came together amazingly. I can even see from the small preview that the rotated wood just looks right. love the rocks also, the texture is great, well done!
  • SgtNasty
    Cool scene, and I had never heard of Maori until now, interesting to see something like that in a WoW style.

The hill on the left looks really flat and awkward. The hill that's right behind/left of the building has a nice silhouette, I think you should try to replicate that for the left hill as well.

The tall rocks next to the building look cool, but sort of out of place. All the other rocks in the scene are shorter. Maybe incorporate those tall rocks in other places as well, or shorten them, your call.

A little thing I noticed was the roof shingles showing on the front, between the wall and support beam thing. Not a huge deal but might look a bit more clean if the support beam was back a bit.

Overall I think the placement of the rocks, grass, plants is a bit haphazard. It could use a little more visual cohesion. Check out this little lecture thing, it's really good (in Russian, sort of hard to follow using google translate, but totally worth it). Basically, try to group stuff up a bit more. http://shurick.livejournal.com/195876.html

D09lV.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This is starting to look quite incredible! I love your hand painted textures.

One of the things that stuck out the most to me was that your scene doesn't seem to have a unified color palette. It just seems to kind of be all over the place. As i was trying to think of ways you could fix it, i think the easiest is to tint the trees you have in your scene a little more towards red. Doing that should imply that the wooden pieces that make up the temple there were taken from this forest and would really unify the scenes color palette i think.

It just seems that the temple is out of place. You could also take one of those totems, duplicate it and put it over to the left somewhere. This would also give a nicer composition and lead the eye around the scene instead of it just going straight to the temple and staying there.

This definitely looks really good and i love where it's going.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Hope this paintover works.

paintover-1.jpg
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Looking gorgeous, keep it up.
  • Tokoya
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    wester wrote: »
    Hope this paintover works.

paintover-1.jpg

Adding those pillars along the river like that is genius, Shadow you should definitely consider doing this
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Gorgeous! Maybe lowing up the sand near the stair? I don't think the character will want to wet his feet every time. :)
  • Seirei
    How about making a little 'bridge' out of stones leading to the little stair?

Something like this:
    stepping_stones.jpg

Would make a little bit more sense to me than just going down the stair and falling into the water. :P
  • Hamish Bode
    Tu meke! You're making me homesick bro :)
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits and comments, everyone! :D

Updated scene:

f4mAj.jpg

Updated props:

lfmu0.jpg

mBBQJ.jpg

lLk7B.jpg

b6n7a.jpg

Crits and comments are appreciated. :)
  • Hamish Bode
    If you really want a New Zealand bush vibe, you'd need to add some Pungas, Nikau's and maybe even a Kereru for good effect. At the moment, the trees and flowers (although awesomely executed) are non-descript and are disconnected from the Marae.
  • Andy H
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Really great that you added the statues in more locations. My eyes end up viewing the whole scene instead of focusing only on the building!