Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

the *ART JAM* - please join in :)

Replies

• sub_roland
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    wanted to get a little more time in this and post it over last weekend but wound up doing some other things over the past week. Proportions are off and no color.
    perez_creatureBox.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
    I'm debating making Borderlands 2 writer and internet videoperson Anthony Burch as a Borderlands character. I can't decide if this is a good idea or not especially since there are two other characters I want to work on.

f07Hrr1.png
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Do it do it do it do it do it!!!!!!!

Haha I'm sure he's jealous his sisters got a full character and he doesnt haha

I got an idea on what to do, had a bit of a hectic week so should be fun.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres my first wip for the borderlands theme, its super early on, bout 30 mins so hes gonna change loads haha, gonna call him 'Milky'

milky_001.jpg

quick timelapse too

[vv]66069925[/vv]
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    your stuff is so inspirational
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Made this gun a while back before BL2 was. Was based on one of the early concepts they released. Modeled in zbrush, Baked in max, Textured in PS, and I integrated it into the Borderlands 1 game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFOC_VPrFJk"]BL2- Jakobs Revovler-The Outlaw - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF6cHrWCwX4"]Borderlands 2-Jakobs Revolver - YouTube[/ame]

rev2.png
    borderlands201205280701.png
    revolver1.png

By s620 at 2012-05-28

By s620 at 2012-05-28

borderlands201205280700.png
    By s620 at 2012-05-28

theoutlaw.png

1014 points

1174 Polys

revlp2.png

revlp.png

jakobspistolbreakdownga.jpg
  • satrio
    Your gun loooks fat!!
    Good job making it and getting it into the game!
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Craycrayfool: love the scar. great work as usual.
    s620ex1: nice work! I love that idea, and you executed it well.

wanted to do some diffuse painting while I was in between jobs. and since I wont be able to work on this for a while i decided to just call it done:

[sketchfab]tsiMrw06KpRyVNgrqkYuH7MyStg[/sketchfab]
    Based off and partially projected from this concept: http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/07/Ellie.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    You sure can learn alot about LP models by looking at SketchFab...what a great collection.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Thats awesome man! Its cool to see it working in sketch fab too :) I know the launch was kinda buggy. but cool to see it working now.

The biggest issue i have with the texture (as a true borderlands 1 lover would) NOT ENOUGH DIRT! :D. Some people hated how brown and dirty BL was....Not me. Love the dirt. Love the grunge. I only got 1 PT into BL2 but this character was/is a mechanic. I've never seen a mechanic this clean in real life in my time working in shops. And certainly shouldn't exist this clean in BL.

Also, I'd get more line work in there, and more hatching. BL1 often used hatching to describe, or imply rather, Form. Skin could be 'spotchier' too. Appears very consistent right now.

So yeah, The faked lighting, stroking, etc is looking good, Focus on getting some more grunge in there! And some more hatching.

I can upload some of the borderlands characters into sketchfab if you'd like to check them out sometime.

I think I'm going to start doing some organic sculpting and working on my anatomy skills via zbrush. Might start sculpting some BL esque busts to post up here :)
  • Demonic Ladybug
    This is my first post and i decided to make a grand father style clock that could be used a gun locker within borderlands.

tumblr_mn9ydiikF81s5pl6so1_500.jpg
  • Natland
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    Borderlands_NatalieBrash.png
    I did the siren! I couldn't polish the way I would have liked to, but hey I just wanted to join in the fun!
  • SA_22
    loving what you did with that Natland!! :D
  • Natland
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    SA_22 wrote: »
    loving what you did with that Natland!! :D

Thanks man!
  • SirSpangles
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    This is exactly what I was hoping for, I will get something up as soon as its done.
  • AlexKola
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    The Siren.. nice Natland :)
    Ventura.gif
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    When is the next Art Jam?
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    nice work natalie :P

and thanks for the crits s620ex1 ill deffinately work on those!
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    katana wrote: »
    When is the next Art Jam?

apologies everyone, Ive had alot of personal stuff to deal with so havent been near a computer for a while out of working hours to finish this up, If you guys want to come up with some themes and then if someone wants to take over then that might be an idea.

I had loads of fun doing these and was fun while it lasted, gonna try doing some full characters now though. thanks to everyone who participated, loads of gorgeous work in here :)
  • LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
    No worries Crazyfool, although I haven't been that involved in the jams they've been great to watch! Personally I'd like to see these continue, especially now that I'm in a position to be able to participate more (although I'm a long way off your standard).

Here's some of my suggestions for future Art Jams.

- Favourite items from games

- Gaming heroines

- Gaming Villains

- Demons

- Final Fantasy series

- 16 Bit

- Mortal Kombat

- NPCs

- Half Life

- Sam Flores

- Vikings
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Nintendo (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.) would also be a great theme.

Also would;
    -pixelgrafic translated to 3D
    -old games like secret of mana, breath of fire, chrono trigger, suikoden, and so on
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea of building something that would fit into a specific game or something completely abstract.

Apocalyptic themed

Robots of entertainment

Blackmarket Kangeroo's

Rabbits that eat too much

Wiggle that tail and let me know that you love me...

(O.K. that's the best I can do on the fly...

*Something 'Nerfy'
  • terry1337
    game-characters in a other game universe
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    How about Action Figures / Vehicles/ Weapons or anything toy wise ?
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorry I didn't get to be involved in this as much as I had hoped; Uni kept me very busy, but I hope to do something with Borderlands's style some time in the future. It's pretty clever how most of the games that have been the subjects of this competition have a very distinct art style, so that they're interesting to analyse and replicate even when you (as I) don't actually play or like the games.
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Assassin's Creed from other eras (western, future, ancient china etc...).
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I'd really love for the Art Jams to continue. I didn't contribute as much as I wanted to last time (new job and other various excuses), but I really enjoyed following each weeks entries, and my friends and I all had a go at some topic (I did a female leads sculpt myself!).

I was speaking to some people about this and we had some ideas which could increase its popularity and get more people involved. These two ideas are dependent on what the moderators thoughts are on this, but the first idea is to have the best/most popular entry on the weekly re-cap each week (or two). The other is to have a dedicated banner which is changed over monthly. So the best piece out of every four weeks gets put on a polycount banner for a month, and changed over four weeks later by a new winner. The second option is probably more manageable and could be voted for by a panel, by a poll, or by the moderators.

crazyfool, you've done a really great thing here for the community with this challenge, and I know it can take up time you don't always have. So if you are still up for hosting these challenges and want some help, I'd be happy to use spend my spare time helping out when it's needed and keeping this going.

Anyway my suggestions are:
    warhammer 40k, Star Craft, Deus Ex, Crysis, sea-life, alien-plants, and dream-workspace!
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'd say anybody is welcome to take it on, I just physically dont have the time at the moment due to family stuff. Its not alot of work to keep going, you just gotta make sure you have good themes and try and make something for each so to drum interest. I noticed ones where I was too busy and didnt get the ball rolling on the first day, interest would dwindle very quickly.

but yea some great theme ideas :)
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I second Paul on this. It would be cool to see some Starcraft, Warhammer, Warcraft and Star Wars themes on here.
  • Dee
    How about something hand painted caricature Star Wars theme?
  • LordSebbington
    Offline / Send Message
    LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
    SCB wrote: »
    crazyfool, you've done a really great thing here for the community with this challenge

^ Amen ^

Banners and such would be cool, I worry that people may see it a competition though and be a bit more tentative about joining in. The all welcome, easy going stance is what I really liked about the Jam. That said, it's good to have the goal.

Do you think guest curators would work? Rather than the emphasis being on one person people could put themselves forward and schedule in their slot to oversee that particular Jam. I've been a bit of a lurker but I'd be happy to get involved where I can.

The main thing is to get the ball rolling again. I'm game for 40K, I've got a Hellbrute sat next to my monitor.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I think the most important thing to do is agree on a schedule of topics, like crazyfool did. And then you (LordSebbington), myself, and who ever else can make sure the topic is posted on time, and that we start generating interest at the beginning of that art jam week. I think if you and me take responsibility for spreading the word on facebook, g+, twitter, etc, at the start of each week, then everything else should work on its own.

I've been asking people on polycount hangouts to post their suggestions on here, so once we have a few more suggestions to work with we could decide on the next 8 challenges. What do you think?
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to take part on one of those jams... I hope there will be cool themes and they'll vary strongly
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    EDIT: oops just noticed you already have suggested stuff! We'll try and make stuff varied and appeal to as wide a range of people as possible, we just need a lot of suggestions to choose from.
  • Harford
    Offline / Send Message
    Harford polycounter lvl 7
    I second SCB's ideas regarding keeping these going. It's going to take someone to step up and start it off to really get it going again. I think it would be good to get the art jams started and while they are happening see if polycount big bosses would offer a place in the recap to that week's best art jam. It would have to be moderator picked as I'm not sure a panel of judges or a voting system would be taking things too far. A place on the banner would be a nice touch, but a news item would be good too. Highlighting some of the months best work from the jams.

My suggestions are

Creatures from old games reimagined
    Warhammer fantasy/40k of course
    Tribute to your favourite game
    Mortal Kombat character
    Street Figther character
    Killzone
    Skyrim
    Architecture of the world
    Crazy animals
    Final fantasy
    Animal zombies
    Food
    Game versions of famous paintings.

Some of the suggestions are a bit wacky and perhaps too long, but would open the doors to some real creativity.
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    before paul nags my ear off here are some theme suggestions:
    journey, game of thrones, pixar, art of sparth, doctor who, guild wars, gears of war, tron, bastion, dieselpunk, assassins creed, remember me, infamous, mirrors edge, last of us
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Mmm.. lemmi throw a few ideas in too then.

Blizzard/Diablo/Starcraft
    The Witcher
    Warhammer Fantasy/40k
    DC/Marvel
    Kingdoms of Amalur

just some ideas, hope this continues.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    As I'm not working right now and just working on my projects, I'm also available to help keep things moving along...send me an email if you all need me.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @katana: couldn't find an email in your contact information so I sent you a PM.
    @LordSebbington: I've sent you an email if you'd like to get involved too.

I have a plan that should keep the wheels rolling, if anyone else wants to get involved send me an email (email is on my profile contact).
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    ART JAM2

If it's ok with everyone, I would like to take over running the Art Jams for a bit. I think it's important to keep this going. katana, LordSebbington, and myself reviewed the suggestions made on this thread and talked to some other polycounters who would like to take part, and we have decided on some themes which I have writen below.

We also noticed there was a divide between people who wanted to use this as a short weekend project (just for fun) and people who want to spend a bit longer (perhaps to make something for their portfolio). For this reason we have set a main theme (1st title) which will run over the two weeks, and two sub-themes (2nd and 3rd title) which will run over the first half and second half of the two weeks. These are not rules, but options to help people get the most out of this Art Jam.

Here are the themes we have at the moment and their respective dates;

14th June - Warhammer - wk1: Fantasy, wk2:40k
    28th June - Shadowrun - wk1: Magic, wk2: Technology
    12th July - Aliens - wk1: We Come In Peace, wk2: We've Come For Dinner

We have a load more topics prepared, so if people seem happy with this set up after a few weeks we will add some more to the calendar!

Just to be clear, the main theme, for example 'Warhammer', will take place over both weeks, so people can enter anything under this theme. The sub-themes, for example 'Fantasy' and '40k', will be optional challenges for people to complete within the first and second week ('Fantasy' for the 1st week, '40k' for the second week).

We are currently operating a rotational system for who ultimately decides the themes. I've chosen Warhammer for the first two weeks and I'll be responsible for helping start and oversee the Art Jam on while this theme is on. katana will help out with the Shadowrun theme, and LordSebbtington with the Aliens theme. We'll keep switching who picks the themes every two weeks, so if anyone wants to get involved in this rotation let me know!
  • Harford
    Offline / Send Message
    Harford polycounter lvl 7
    Excellent idea and exciting themes too. Looking forward to start the first them!
    Cheers for taking up the mantle guys.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I'd love to see some Discworld stuff during an art jam, although that would probably be for character artists only... Well, there are a fair few memorable environments too now that I think about it, not much in the way of props though (The Gonne is one of the few that springs to mind)

New format for these jams sounds good too, nice work on organizing this stuff
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    I've read many of the books for Discworld. I'm not sure how popular that would be.

Would anyone else like to see a Discworld Theme in the future?
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo, since I didn't have much contact with warhammer until now... could anyone suggest a good website with some awesome photos of those lovely figurines? (I'd be intrested in enviroment stuff, like those houses and stuff, I've seen some awesome ruins and buildings a while ago, but I can't remember where... sry)
    I think I'd be more intrested in fantasy then 40k, but both seems interesting.

I'll see if I`ll get time to finish something <3
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I've been sourcing some reference which I'll post up at the start of the Art Jam on Friday. We'll try and kick off each Art Jam with loads of reference to help people get started. If you want some ref now send me a PM and I'll send you what I've sourced so far.
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    Nice one paul! Ive been wanting to participate in these Art Jams but I've been extremely busy with uni and my new job and moving house and life lol. All my suggestions for themes have already been said (Tron, Mirror's Edge, old games reimagined, 16bit etc).

Kudos to you (and those before you) spending your time to keep this going :)
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
    Posting this before we move on to Warhammer:

jrJagq6.png
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    haha Burch!!!!

Ive updated the first post with the new info and setup SCB, thanks to all involved and good luck to future JAMSSSS!!!! PM me if you need me to update the first post or anything, I would love to be more involved but my father in laws super sick so I have no time at the moment. thanks again

some theme ideas :)
    metal gear
    killer instinct
    destiny
    ecorche
    cloth
    trousers
    feet
    hands
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    ART JAM - FRIDAY 14TH JUNE
    WARHAMMER
    wk1:Fantasy, wk2:40k

Reference & Inspiration:

Fantasy:
    http://warhammervault.ign.com/View.php?view=Bestiary.List&id=1
    http://conceptartworld.com/?p=1015
    http://pinterest.com/Cahel/warhammer-fantasy-artwork/
    http://daarken.cghub.com/images/

http://adrian-smith.cghub.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scibor-Monstrous-Miniatures/172963696079866

40k:
    https://www.facebook.com/The.Lord.Inquisitor/photos_stream
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Warhammer-40k-Art/375289142530418?fref=ts
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/PC/warhammer_40000_dawn_of_war_ii/concept_art.html

Both:
    http://kalbasnik.io.ua/album2230
    http://pinterest.com/plaguebearer/warhammer-art/

Some of us will be on Hangouts tonight busting out some Warhammer sculpts, so feel free to join! If that is full, try the Alternative Hangout.

Some artists from 'The Lord Inquisitor' may be joining us for this Jam, so we should hopefully have some cool work in here by the end of the two weeks! Check out their awesomeness here:

http://thelordinquisitor.com/

@Teesider: Thanks Andy! And congrats on the new job, got to tell me about it sometime! Hope you can find time to get involved with the jam :)

@crazyfool: Thank for posting it up! And sorry to hear about your father in law, I hope things get better.

If you have any questions about the Art Jam please feel free to PM me :)