Home General Discussion

Slow or Obsessive?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
How do you differentiate between a slow artist or an obsessive artist?

Replies

• Frawmus
    Well there's a clear line in the dictionary. Slow being, well..slow to do things, and obsessive being slow because you keep going back and redoing it even if its ready to ship already, but you're still obsessing that the lips aren't quite there when no one else sees it
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    deohboeh wrote: »
    How do you differentiate between a slow artist or an obsessive artist?
    Obsessive artist spends a lot of time trying to perfect a piece. Slow artist is just slow.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    trick question, they're both slow
  • WarrenM
    And they're both barriers to shipping. Fix yo' self...
  • skankerzero
    I don't know, but I wouldn't hire either.
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    One has a cup of coffee :D
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Well there is slow mentally and slow productively, so let's not hire people with disabilities because we don't make money that way.
    I was wondering does hiring unbiased allow disabled people to work anywhere i have yet to see a disabled person in this industry now that it think about it.

Then people sprout quality over quantity... pendulum swing isn't it guess it depends on moods. Feel free to point them out.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I think the better of the two is being obsessive, but knowing when to control it. A lot of people I know will give themselves a set amount of time to tweak things. E.g., "By 11:30, this texture map is what it is."

Like others have said, an obsessive artist just iterates a lot. As long as they stick to a schedule, they'll be more productive.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    slow is slow.

Obsessive and fast aren't mutually exclusive.

I am what some could easily call obsessive - I've just learned to compensate for it. I tend to do many fast iterations, and will often go back and improve a piece when I have spare time after it's considered 'shippable' [a dirty word!]
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I have a question I am still learning a lot so naturally I take a lot longer because they are some things I do not know how to do but I often take my time to make my results good should I be focusing a bit on speed aswell?
  • WarrenM
    Also, speed comes through mastery of what you're doing. You don't learn to go fast, you learn to do whatever you're doing well. Speed is a result of repetition and practice.

Just focus on learning if you're new. The speed will come.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I find am my terribly anal about work in my spare time projects, but in production
    there comes a point where you have to just leave it, diminishing returns and all that.
    obviously if its crap you have to make it better, but a lot of it depends on the time frame and in some projects I have actually been given too much time, others not enough to a ridiculous degree.
    some how under pressure you seem to find the right technique and tailor it to what you are doing.

But I am freelancer and don't have an AD breathing over my shoulder while I work, so if I want to spend extra time on something I can
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Ruz wrote: »
    I find am my terribly anal about work in my spare time projects, but in production
    there comes a point where you have to just leave it, diminishing returns and all that.
    obviously if its crap you have to make it better, but a lot of it depends on the time frame and in some projects I have actually been given too much time, others not enough to a ridiculous degree.
    some how under pressure you seem to find the right technique and tailor it to what you are doing.

But I am freelancer and don't have an AD breathing over my shoulder while I work, so if I want to spend extra time on something I can

Yeh I would have to agree with this too; at home, working on challenges and personal stuff I am to a degree - a perfectionist (and I WISH i knew how to get out of this mindset - I will consistently reiterate until I'm happy :() but in regards to studio work... I stick to the time frame, and don't dwell on the niggly things that would bother me at home.. It's strange to be honest..at the end of the day if it's not going to be seen then I don't care and aslong as the Lead is happy whether or not I feel its my best is a completely different story..
  • Meteora
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Slow is slow... In other words, mechanically slow. Obsessive isn't necessarily slow, just repeating a process over and over again. Its also not mutually exclusive.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Slow is slow

Obsessive will spend all AVAILABLE time trying to perfect something and hate the fact that they cant perfect what they want too. But when it comes to deadlines they will still get done what they need too.

If they didnt, then they would just be slow.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    Slow is slow

Obsessive will spend all AVAILABLE time trying to perfect something and hate the fact that they cant perfect what they want too. But when it comes to deadlines they will still get done what they need too.

If they didnt, then they would just be slow.

I came here to post basically this. I would also like to add that your personal work is the time to become obsessive because I think you become a better artist that way.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    This thread hits close to home for me. With my personal work, I tend to be pretty obsessive - slaving away at minute details that others are not likely to notice. Being obsessive with personal work is what pushes me to try new things and improve the quality of my art.

However, it is much easier to let things go when I'm working for a someone else. Deadlines come first, and as long as the client is happy, I am happy.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Slow is slow.
    Obsessive is slow and imo often difficult to work with.
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    the obsessive artist almost always has a mustache.