Good start , check out this theard
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125857

have a lot of great rocks .

good luck :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think there is too much micro surface detail. The only thing you should concern yourself with are larger forms and perhaps some subtle detail. Leave the micro stuff out unless you are positive its finished (so posting it for a critique means its not finished). Also note, often times this kind of detail is sometimes better left to photoshop when working on the textures.
    Last bit of advice, get lots of reference. look at stylized stuff people have made, real life photos and study them. Understand why things are looking certain ways (common patterns and forms) and replicate that. Definitely don't just go noodling around off the top of your head.
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Littlenorwegians polycounter lvl 8
    That's a good thread, Ayoub44, will study that now. Attempt to replicate.

First tutorial that I found on Zbrush rocks used brushes like fracture that just sorta naturally adds detail with the included alpha. So, it's not something I went into detail to make presentable.
    Just trying to start. I can remove the default alpha, though. If it's a problem.

Going to make some rocks now. Once I have a few examples, post a new thread. Take it from there. Try to get good at it. And attempt to make a good rock scene for the portfolio like this, eventually. Hopefully, that makes sense.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    The problem with rocks, and other nebulous things, is that it's easy to fool yourself into thinking you're doing a good job, when sometimes it's just a bit of alpha work on top of blobs. Sure, it takes effort to make a good looking set of modular rocks, but in many ways getting started on them can be very easy if you pull alphas from photos or alpha collections.

I'd actually recommend you go find a strong concept on the internet, or photos of a real world object that's complex, then model and texture it in it's entirety.

That will be the best indicator to you, and us, as to your level of skill and where you need to proceed.
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, you told me to just go out and make something instead of asking what and now you're dissatisfied with what I chose. :P

Alright, a Heckler and Koch MP5K? 10030955_1.jpg?v=8CE70FE0DEEB350
    A gun seems a straight forward method to gauge a person's game art abilities?
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
  • jordanpascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ng.anika

thank you so much for you words! really inspirational and motivational, especially to a young student artist like myself.
    @Littlenorwegians, don't give in! I am much like you and I believe the only enemy is yourself here, so fight on :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Fredrik.
    I unfortunately dont have time to read the entire thread, but check this out:

http://vimeo.com/84022735

There is a part 2 as well.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    yeah do that one! make that gun. Don' t make rocks, it doesn't show off much technical ability... and they are much harder to make then people think; most end up with mashed potatoes, or the blob like shape you made ;) Stick with the gun, remember that these models are learning tools more than anything else, and are for you! Don't stress about putting these first few models on your portfolio. so make it, put in on PC, get the right feed back, move to the next one... do this a few times and you'll be fine. So now get a move on!!!
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I actually have a deadline by tomorrow, but couldn't help myself.
    This isn't done at all, just proof that I'm working.
    Screenshot%202014-04-24%2013.32.26.png
    Will try to complete that as best I can. Do screencaps. Post about the process in a new thread. Get critique. Get better.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STOP! What are you doing man? Don't rush it out the door man, spend time doing it and try to nail it. Your not modeling a freaken shovel, it has moving parts that need to function, or at least look functional. Right now I am seeing lots of proportion errors... Take a deep breath, get reference; Top, front, bottom, right, left... then more ref. watch a video to see the gun reloads, clip, fire, etc. (This won't take long). Make a block out, your going to learn a lot about your subject matter by doing this, and avoid major errors during the modeling process. Now that you have your REF, and your BLOCK OUT, you can now start to model it in. QUALITY over SPEED at this point. Once you can nail the QUALITY, you can start speeding up and maybe even ditch some block out stuffs in the future. If you rush things you're just going to end up back where you started.

POST YOUR:

REFERENCE
    BLOCK OUT

get them community approved.

MODEL PROCESS
    MODEL DONE

BEAUTY SHOTS

LOW, (if your doing a low)
    BASE TEXTURES
    FINAL TEXTURES

FINAL BEAUTY SHOTS.

Formula for "Do this and you won't fail"
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't do anything right, can I? Heh.

OK, references.
    10030955_1.jpg?v=8CE70FE0DEEB350
    Mp5k.jpg
    mp5k.gif
    umarex-gbb-mp5k_3_mark.jpgmp5rearsight-2.jpg
    These are the ones I have been using thus far. And watching this.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome man! it's easy to get super excited about stuff and want to do it right away! I am guilty of too ;)
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now what do I do? I feel like I'm walking cross a minefield so lead on.

I get 'block out', but got a good example of... how. Because I felt I was just working basic shapes, so, yeah. Help and direction is appreciated. :)

As is the help up to now! You're experts!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    If you're making a gun, try to also find some reference of the individual parts exploded. Moving parts should definitely be kept separate. You don't have to break it down as much or exactly as these. But it's still useful to have with your reference.

a032b1f9.jpg

hk_mp5k_blow.jpg

Make it as if you are making it for the next big shooter game. It needs to be able to be animated. You personally don't have to animate it but you should be making as if you were going to hand it off to an animator.

I'd also try and get in the habit of properly naming everything. Often more than one artist works on a single mesh. Other artists will be grateful that you properly named and organized everything. Maybe you're doing this already? If so great! :) I just thought I would mention it while we're on the subject.

It looks like some of your proportions are incorrect. You have got to nail proportions in the blockout phase. Also pay very close attention to the edge bevel and amount of smoothing in each edge. Not every edge is as tight or beveled as others. You should be noticing that and reflecting that with your control loops.

Something else to think about is why are you not using 3ds Max or Maya? As much as I hate to say it, they are the industry standard. Grab a student version and learn them. That's what the student versions are there for. It's going to be difficult getting a job outside of Indy projects without knowing one or the other.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    My two cents, not about modelling but about your attitude in your posts. (this isn't meant to be an attack, but just some advice on how to present yourself more professionally.)

Comments like "I feel like I'm walking cross a minefield so lead on. " & "Can't do anything right, can I? Heh. " are both troll-bait and come off as immature.
    I understand you feel discouraged, but take a professional approach to feedback, even when it is criticism. Rather then saying " I can't get anything right" instead say something along the lines of "Thanks for the feedback, lets try this again!" etc.
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have thanked for advice and it's attempts at self-deprication, not troll-baiting.
    I shall cease my attempts at joke and communicate in a more professional manner.

I do apologize if anyone felt my comments were crass or aggressive.

I am uncertain on how to proceed into the block out stage.
    Could anyone be so kind as to explain what to do next?
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Give this a try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbpplPXgA74. It's a pretty long video so you may not want to watch all of it but that shows one approach to doing a blockout, using your references to get better proportions.
    Hope that help!
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you.
    I'll try.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I scanned through it real quick, yeah, that's a block out. The idea is to get all your proportions and functions done before going into High Poly stuff.
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, so, I took a step back. And rather than trying to salvage the MP5k, I went with a new gun. New start. This time, do it right.

I got some reference images.
    FAMAS.jpgFamas_f1_by_Thieres.jpg1289304119.jpg
    marui-famas-g2-sv.jpgTM-AEG-FAMAS-F1_4.jpgfamas.jpg

And then I had all the images on a screen to my left. I imported all the files and started to block out. This is what I have currently.

Famas1.png
    Famas3.pngFamas2.pngFamas4.png

This is where I am right now in the process. Not wanting to do anything rash, I now post this here on polycount hoping for some help and advice. Hopefully doing as requested of me. Thank you.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of these images are great! just fine, I will point out some stuff though. So don't get discourage!

cool ;) I wouldn't really use that... what is that markers? or acrylic image? or that, kind of horrible model you have down there as reference... EVER. Try to stay away from air soft versions if you can. What your trying to find the best and most accurate images you can pull from; to get the best possible model from it. Its building a foundation, (some folks fail at this, and then spend days and day and days making model only find out its all wrong and missed placed). Still, most of these images are great! just fine, so don't get discourage!

On top of your other images, your reference should look some more like this.

VIDEO- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPKZynhhu2Q

Site, (this site has a whole break down an huge images of all the parts awesome- http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/famas-f1/

One of the images from the above site check it out!

f1famas23.jpg

tumblr_lz8t0zS4Ow1rpoirco1_1280.jpg

Famas.jpg

famas.jpg

Famas.jpg

Anyhow keep refining/detail that block out dude, your getting some traction here!
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. Thank you, Zombiewells.

Actually don't feel discouraged as long as I have guidance. It's worse when I feel clueless and without help as I did in the start of the thread. This is what I need.

The blocking was rough, but I just wanted to do this slow/procedurally. Next time I update I will have, hopefully, a nice, clean, proper blockout. And yeah, see what you mean about images. I will admit I had some problems finding images as I just know of google, no other site for gun images. So that site really helps. Thanks.
    (Wow, I really messed up some portions because I read my reference image wrong)

OK, back to blocking. :)
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello once more! I've been away for interview/job purposes. Which has been very uplifting. Because, it means I am at least hovering around the world of potential employment. Also, this thread has given me a much better outlook on things.

Famas3.png
    Famas4.png
    This is where I am right now. I've been following the block-in video as best I can.
    Certainly learned some new stuff already. Kinda zen to just sit there and work on the shape.

I am working on the front bits at the moment. But getting that inwards angle on the front of the FAMAS is proving difficult.

I've yet to add details like the loading-nub (or whatever it's called), bipod and such.

EDIT (Dang it! Saved over my old images. Don't be confused by the images being similar to the ones in the previous posts.)
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick question. What gun are you making specifically? Also, I just have google too ;) hunting for ref is part of the gig.
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick question. What gun are you making specifically? Also, I just have google too ;) hunting for ref is part of the gig.
    Good question. It's the Famas F1, with that kinda magazine.
    FAMAS-F1_vs_G2.svg
    TM-AEG-FAMAS-F1_1_mark.jpg
    It's been rather standard Famas, up to this point, in the block-in period. But now, if I am allowed to, comes the next step where some core details are applied. Nothing fancy like tiny scratches on the gunbarrel. But detail like the bolts. Sound good? :)

Thanks for following me on this path, btw. Very helpful.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    One thing nobody has mentioned here which i find really strange is that not to get too hell bent on getting a job purely as a game artist.

If your really that keen to be a 3D Artist you can do things outside games.... Architecture (lots of money to be made there doing pre-visulization),

You can work in 3D cartoons/ movies. ( Movies always need interns/juniors you don't have to be amazing they can and will groom you if you can get your foot in the door).

There's T.V Advertisement's.... learn how to use VRay and blow people away with what looks like complicated renders but is really easy.

Perhaps learn how to use After Effects become a compositor and get into motions graphics. (Check out artists like Beeple who make crazy 3D visuals [its still 3D])

Oh also do you check Unity forums for freelance jobs?

At the end of the day just get your foot in the door of any job where you submerse yourself in 3D work. Once you are an actual professional artist then start getting picky as what role you want to play. Might take 5 years as artist to get that job in a games company. But by then you will have an awesome portfolio from all your previous work.

Personally i graduated with a Degree in Game Art, i now work as a lighting artist/compositor as there's only 1 games company in Brisbane where i live, so it wasn't feasible for me to strive to be game artist.

I couldn't light properly or composite when i joined & didn't know how to use VRay. They hired me to be prop artist/ junior environment artist; as the 3D modeling work ran out they needed After Effects artists and they asked me to train myself in 2 weeks come back and composite the models we has been creating. I worked a lot of late nights and trained myself constantly for 1 year so that i'd keep the job.

1 + 1/2 years later i'm now one of the lead Compositers + 3D Generalists.

So there's a little success story for you to never cross out options!!
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    if your making the F1 then why do you have the trigger guard of the G2?
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, Dubzski. I am applying for non-game related artist positions as well and would be happy to do graphics in advertisement and so on. Don't you need some AutoCAD experience and proper architecture degree for an architectural 3d position?
    Lovely success story. Happy for ya. :)

And Cglewis, you're right. Messed that up. Will fix.

Actually, think I might go with the G2. Difference is minor, but I like it better with upon reflection. Lesson learned about specifying not only the gun, but a specific model too.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason why I asked is so you had to stop and think about it. Realize that when your making these types of thing, anything really, that you have to know a bit more about your subject matter that just, "hey I found a picture of a gun" now I am off to make it! It's easy to look up Famas on wikipedia. Or if I could make a suggestion, go with the Famas F1 site I linked you to. It has all the reference you need to make an outstanding gun on one page. Better reference better gun, who cares if you have to change that block out... that's the reason you have it. Now if it was hi-poly halfway done, that would be a huge waste of time,(or if you can find awesome G1 Ref. go for it) What it looks like you did, was grab bag the internet with low-res photos of something you think looks like the F1 but turns out to be a G1 or G2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famas

Start to really think about these things. Your going to save yourself a whole lot of time. As an artist it's your job to look deeper, to "see" things the average person won't or doesn't care to know. It's the difference between making a weird looking hybrid Famas abomination, and actually building a Famas. Still, not to worry too much, I have been guilty of leaping before I look. It's a hard lesson to learn ;)

non-game related- I would suggest focus up on one thing. Game art, architecture, etc. It's the "jack of all trades master of none" syndrome. You'll find yourself always weaker in a subject matter than the guy who focused on it.
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Certainly a learning experience in preparatory stages, Zombiewells. A lot of this is new to me, process-wise, so I make mistakes, but hopefully learn. :)
    famser.png
    famser2.png
    famser3.png
    This is where I am at right now. Will reflect on changes and I'm very open for input.

This is all very interesting and leaves me with a moment of introspection as to what I should do, careers-wise. There being multiple opinions on diversity vs focus. Ambition vs compromise. For now I'm just aiming to do more and do better with this gun. And from there see if I want to do more props like it.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait so your making the F1...but currently you have trigger guard and magize of the G2
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I said in my last comment to you, Cglewis, I changed my mind as I like the trigger guard.

But if F1 is the one you guys want me to make, I can change it and remove the trigger guard and go back to the old magazine. It's why I'm currently not touching the model right now. Pardon the confusion.

I messed up early on, so now I either keep going with a G2 or I change it into an F1.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its not about us, this thread is about you and developing you as an artist....its what you want to make....

if you made a mistake go back and fix it don't be like oh well

If you are going to do it ...do it right

Imagine you work at a studio and your boss says hey...make the famas F1 but you messed up and made the g2....and was like well i kinda messed up so i just decided to keep my mistake in and make the g2...what do you think hes going to say?

but again its up to you what you will make, do what YOU want to do bc it is about what you want to make what you have a passion for
    i guess its just the mindset that worries me
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I agree that you need to change your mindset. Don't worry about what people on here "want" you to do. Just make sure you are doing things for the right reason. If you want to make a gun that is realistic, stick to good reference, don't mix designs, and fix mistakes. If you are just looking to create something new and awesome, than go for it but don't break realism just because you are too lazy to fix errors. That being said, it is good to see you modeling. Work on what interests you but don't cut corners!
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Dubzski wrote: »
    One thing nobody has mentioned here which i find really strange is that not to get too hell bent on getting a job purely as a game artist.

If your really that keen to be a 3D Artist you can do things outside games.... Architecture (lots of money to be made there doing pre-visulization),

You can work in 3D cartoons/ movies. ( Movies always need interns/juniors you don't have to be amazing they can and will groom you if you can get your foot in the door).

There's T.V Advertisement's.... learn how to use VRay and blow people away with what looks like complicated renders but is really easy.

Perhaps learn how to use After Effects become a compositor and get into motions graphics. (Check out artists like Beeple who make crazy 3D visuals [its still 3D])

Oh also do you check Unity forums for freelance jobs?

At the end of the day just get your foot in the door of any job where you submerse yourself in 3D work. Once you are an actual professional artist then start getting picky as what role you want to play. Might take 5 years as artist to get that job in a games company. But by then you will have an awesome portfolio from all your previous work.

Personally i graduated with a Degree in Game Art, i now work as a lighting artist/compositor as there's only 1 games company in Brisbane where i live, so it wasn't feasible for me to strive to be game artist.

I couldn't light properly or composite when i joined & didn't know how to use VRay. They hired me to be prop artist/ junior environment artist; as the 3D modeling work ran out they needed After Effects artists and they asked me to train myself in 2 weeks come back and composite the models we has been creating. I worked a lot of late nights and trained myself constantly for 1 year so that i'd keep the job.

1 + 1/2 years later i'm now one of the lead Compositers + 3D Generalists.

So there's a little success story for you to never cross out options!!

Such a good success story because you have a similar avatar to him XD
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I messed up early on, so now I either keep going with a G2 or I change it into an F1-

Either way man, it's your call, remember that this is a no lose scenario. With the support of people here on the forums, your not going to fail. It's up to you to keep going, make a bad ass gun, learn, grow, and get stronger... or not. This is a formula you just have to follow thru. So don't get discouraged, and so what if you made some miss steps here and there; everyone does. Also the block out might have not been 100% but it was a good block out man!
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya, Zombiewells. I very much appreciate the encouragement. Just fresh off uni and releasing a game.

Took a few misteps now and got a little disheartened for a second there. But all of that's on me.
    I'm gonna complete the FAMAS rifle. Don't think this is the sort of 3d I want to be doing, but it's a healthy learning excercise.

Next update I'll post will be a more complete high poly model. :)
    Thanks!
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't you need some AutoCAD experience and proper architecture degree for an architectural 3d position?

It is beneficial to have AutoCAD experience if you are designing to specific measurements however not needed with most designs.

As they want the visual aspect of it more so than real life accuracy. You certainly don't need an architecture degree to make 3D houses ^_^.

If you learn how to make an exterior and interior using VRay mtls & show it off to prospective clients chances are they'll keep you in mind for future work... they'll be like o damn he knows his sh*t, as opposed to showing a bunch of game art (unless its freaking amazing stuff).

Whilst game art is awesome to artists n gamers n whatnot, to professional business's they just seem inferior; i know this from real life experience =(.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so i really need to say this

stop making excuses this thread has been you side stepping things and the moment it gets hard you stop and run to something else IT HAS TO STOP!

"Certainly a learning experience in preparatory stages, Zombiewells. A lot of this is new to me, process-wise" how is this stuff new? you just got a 3 year degree?? it shouldnt be new to you. You should know all the stages of modeling pre-pro until completion

pick something and go with it

you have the ear of polycount do something with it instead of floundering around with it...
    I went back and reread a good portion of this thread and there are so much good advice in here that you have squandered....the biggest one being the lego people....why havent you done that???

Your game you just released...instead of saying hey i made a game whey don't you show us asset break downs?

also speaking of other fields...i had mentioned earlier the sim industry that you seemingly ignored...but ill say it again, look into the sim field DoD companies and companies that utilize Real time engines (game engines) to deliver training...youd be getting exp in 3d and various other skills and youd be making more $$ ( orshould i say Eu) than Euro walmart

you should do what you are passionate about....and honestly i dont feel your passionate about the gun....the only reason i say that is if you were you wouldnt have not messed up the trigger guard...

I look at your web site and you have a ton of characters why aren't you making those that seems to be your passion to me, get better at those do anatomy studies and what not

Lastly....
    if you are still making the famas what version of the Famas are you making....this is very important if you going from photo ref you need to copy it to a T this is HUGE!
  • Littlenorwegians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info, Dubzski. There's a lot of architecture and design positions out on the market at the moment in Norway that I will apply for. :)

Thanks for the advice, Cglewis. I'm trying as hard as I can.
    Not out to ignore, squander or anything of what you just said.

Polycount is giving me great advice. And I really appreciate being told things straight. I'm just having problems finding my direction.
    Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to talk in private. Some people have done it already and it's lifted my spirits which was really the big problem at the start of this thread.

EDIT: I am gonna complete this Famas, for my own sake so as to not be a quitter. But will return in the form of a new thread once I figure out my desires and present material demonstrating my skill level. This got off on the wrong foot and I apologize.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis you reeeeaally need to chill out a bit dude, he just started the thread 2 weeks'ish ago.