Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

.-| Week 40- The Weekly Hard Surface Challenge |-.

Replies

• AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    Np, you could just leave out the base and just make a render of the front/back (where all highly capable of making the whole thing, it so tall that you wouldn't get a good render of the mic). Plus the coolest thing to look at is the mic *Lastly dont forget the cords*
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lemon: Just a quick critique as I am just about to start making mine (not sure if your trying to stick with the reference) you have to many bolts. This will cause you to struggle on the inner snow flake shape proportions.

There are 16 bolts (you are looking at the reflections of the bolts on the metal and thinking theres more). As I always say do a little math, a circle is 360 degrees so by that logic 360/16=22.5. *thus your bolts should be around 22 to 23 degrees apart. *I also noticed that your bolts spacing is off in some areas in Maya there duplicate special that will get you the spacing you need just need to center the pivot*

Then you can take that and determine that the snowflake ring is made up by taking every other bolt. So the middle bolt has a snow flake wing then skip a bolt the next has a snow flake skip a bolt then snow flake. Thus leaving you with a snow flake shape having 8 flakes (As you had 16 bolts and skipping one)

Next your shape needs to be pushed back further as there a-lot of of extrusions that need to be done to pull the base cylinder in.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYGSg0N-8pR82gTHGVSX3ZyKiczM5r0iCcqvQ5ba1jRBxAV3352g
    (Here a nice orthographic shot to get your proportions down, you will need a couple more reference to get the other angles and how far to extrude the faces back etc..)

http://s12silvia.com/matty/Equip/equip_1.jpg (Best reference as you can see your 2nd image is off it not that flat in the center that section is 1/3 that size)
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    One thing to point out, This wheel, and many like it can be made to difference specs. The rim offset and barrel depth can be custom to any car you want the wheels for. So, you will probably find "conflicts" in your reference images. The one thing that wont ever change is the face of the wheel.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks will keep that in mind, my first image is just a shape of the front to get the snowflake shape hardened out. I removed the second image I found a much better one and gave a comment on it. This is much like Week 10 model that had a few variations (there was also week 8 the metal clamp that I found a few other variations) *But I suppose if your making this for a vehicle the front would be your main priority*
  • Fisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    j5rg.pngstill needs lots of work to make it match ref :P but im done for today
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vQRn7K2.png

Here my WIP (Mid Poly haven't added control loops), as Commandor stated there different variations to wheel so here the rim I am making for clarity sake.

http://s12silvia.com/matty/Equip/equip_0.jpg
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good so far Alex. Just a bit of refinement and I think you got it. :)
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my wip for tonight

I need to fatten the spokes a bit. Then add a loop to reinforce the machined face.

13574150785_88541fbdf3_o.jpg
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks very nice, not seeing any problems areas (your rendering and texturing is my new goal to aim for in my future models). Should have mine up tomorrow got busy with the Noob Challenge
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Some tricky parts on this, thought it would be a quick job - oh how I was very wrong... lol
    Here's my attempt:
    RIM.png
    Needs some work, the wires are absolutely crap-tacular, nevertheless I'm happy with the shape...
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some tricky parts on this, thought it would be a quick job - oh how I was very wrong... lol
    Here's my attempt:

Needs some work, the wires are absolutely crap-tacular, nevertheless I'm happy with the shape...

Very nice job!
    Thought it would be a quick job - oh how I was very wrong

HA! You have discovered my secret evil plan. I pick things that are deceptive. Cursory glance you may think "Eh, I can knock that out quick" and then you get into and discover thats a big ol' NOPE.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It wasn't too bad took me 2 hours less than the other pieces but was still was loads of fun. I love the design of the middle rim area looks like a awesome snow flake

CoockedPeanut: Overall great job, the only minor area I spot is you have a good spacing where the air tube is connected but the same area above is a little thin)

*Posted final version below*
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job Alex. See if you can separate the mesh for the center cap. Its just a little plastic cup that snaps on the wheel over the hub. You say you finished two hours quicker than the other objects? Great! You're getting faster and at the same time more accurate. Keep practicing and improving.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks didn't even see that, it pretty subtle but does make a bit of difference

I do plan on continuing to contribute to each Week challenge up until I have no time to do so. My next big plans is to learn how to render/texture things out as I mentioned previously, I have gotten more comfortable in being able to breakdown a piece *just need to apply the same strategies when compromising my textures/materials*
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you like this then you'll love texturing. It isn't all that hard to do, just make sure you've nailed mesh optimization and understand smoothing groups before you get into UV'ing and texturing.

The rim is looking good Alex, the only thing I'd point out is that there's a little edge-width inconcistency, take a look at the snowflake arms, maybe add some more edgeloops..?

Will post wires of my rim shortly...
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks just noticed I forgot some control loops on the flakes that didn't have the bolts , they where a little blooby *went in and fixed, thanks a tons*. The flake arms where actually just duplicates from the first one, although to me one look a little bigger than the others.

wCqrrxX.png
    Quick Light Render
    xheBTto.png

Wires

*Will keep that in mind, I only UV'd a few pieces since most of these are base metallic materials shouldn't be to hard to texture them up. Awaiting to see your wires*
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, as promised here is the wire shot. Like I said, it's messy so I'm in no way someone you should take 101's from. To me, as long as the model looks good then it's sufficient for rendering and baking.
    You only really need to worry about good topology when it's for animation or movie work...

Wire
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your wires don't look that bad kind of hard to tell at that angle and how far the object is. But nothing pop outs
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK everyone, week 13 is up!
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrdly anyone did the No. 12 challenge, what's going on! lol

Also @ the drill bit, looks like another one of em "I can do that quickly" and "NOPE, not really..." jobs. haha
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People get busy
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6

Also @ the drill bit, looks like another one of em "I can do that quickly" and "NOPE, not really..." jobs. haha

got so far, then got bored and didn't finish it:
    rim.jpg
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good mate, a bit of tweaking here-and-there and it should look pretty close to the ref.
    I found that with week 12 there were loads of different variants on the rim which made it difficult to source accurate images. However the inside of the spokes should be on a slight gradient and not as if they've been extruded in. Add some grads and it'll look nice, and finish of the rest of the rim!

All goes towards a portfolio, right?
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You pretty much finished the hardest part. The actual rim and barrel of the wheel is just an extruded cylinder. Should take no more than 10 minutes and you have it done.
  • MSanchez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got pretty hectic this week but finished week 12's challenge.

Lost count how many times I had to render the wireframe over because I placed a push modifier on the wrong mesh. :poly122:

Wk12_Wheel.14.jpg

Beauty.

rim_clay.jpg

Clay.

Wireframe.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9

Maybe it should be fortnightly hard surface challenge :) might get a few more people involved.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MSanchez wrote: »
    Got pretty hectic this week but finished week 12's challenge.

Lost count how many times I had to render the wireframe over because I placed a push modifier on the wrong mesh. :poly122:

Nice Job Sanchez, your Rim is a little thin although I am not sure even on short low profile tires I would be a bit bigger. The center is a piece sticking out not extruding in. But I dont know what reference you followed.
  • MSanchez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Job Sanchez, your Rim is a little thin although I am not sure even on short low profile tires I would be a bit bigger. The center is a piece sticking out not extruding in. But I dont know what reference you followed.

Is it extruded out? I used the reference provided here and found a flat view of the piece as extra reference when modeling.

22092344_o1.jpg

I can see what you mean though, taking a look over the reference it does pop out a bit in the center, will fix some of those issues and repost it later in the day.

Thanks again Alex!
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job on finding a nice side view (I was going to use that but found another of the same reference I provided),that my main way to model and then I use extra images to finalize the shape.
  • MSanchez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaks to the week 12 challenge, extending the shapes and reversing the center to extrude out instead of inward.

Wk12_Wheel2.16.jpg

Wires.
  • ChickenSoup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oil and Gas animations are my Day Job so it would be rude not to try this. Very rarely do anything involving drilling but it would be handy to have a model of this just in case.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew wrote: »
    Maybe it should be fortnightly hard surface challenge :) might get a few more people involved.

Maybe. But I think the weekly format is great for a number of reasons. You don't have to do every week, just when you can. It stays constantly fresh with new things to make. Some people want practice without having to think of something to do. So far, there are 13 objects, many with breakdowns in case anyone gets stuck. And while its a weekly challenge, most of these should be able to be completed within a day or two. The only reason for many that it gets stretched out is I assume its just an hour or two here or there spread over the week. But there really is no time limit. :)
    MSanchez wrote:
    Tweaks to the week 12 challenge, extending the shapes and reversing the center to extrude out instead of inward.

Nice job. Some of the transitions seem a bit hard, but thats being very critical.
    Oil and Gas animations are my Day Job so it would be rude not to try this. Very rarely do anything involving drilling but it would be handy to have a model of this just in case.

Welcome aboard! I'm glad week 13 was something that grabbed your attention. I've tried to get good references of the same bit, but there are so many variations its not easy to get images that match.
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    @cookedpeanut & commador: thanks for the feedback and motivating me to actually finish it!

rim1.jpg

wireframe
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0E23ceQ.png
    Mrr4r8U.png

Drill Bit #1: *Far Back*
    Layer 1: 18 Bit smaller than the rest (20 degrees apart)
    Layer 2: 18 Bit a bit bigger than layer 1 (20 degrees apart)
    Layer 3: 8 Bit same size of layer 3 bits (45 degrees apart)
    Layer 4: 1 Bit (Angled)

Drill Bit #2: *Left*
    Layer 3: 5 Bit same size of layer 3 bits (72 degrees apart)

Drill Bit #3: *Right*
    Layer 3: 2 Bit same size of layer 1 bits (180 degrees apart)

My blockout for the bits determining proportions and spacing, will begin to add the actual bits

*Lastly I could use simple floater and avoid having the cutouts but there a small indentation so it slightly needed. Although for Drill Bit 3 I am going to use floater for Layer 2*
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Little bit late buuut ...

jJAbT7I.jpg
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JNm35WJ.png
    A3QvXue.png

Still need to make the stand, as-well as the bottom to each bit that connects to the stand. Participating in the Monthly Challenge so my time is being cut short

*On a side note I should have made the bit first and use them to make the cutout, I noticed the way I approached it didn't give me a true perspective of the end result*
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a difficult time making the base stand found a couple of angled views but each belonged to different drill bits.

MlygIED.png
    Very Quick Light Render
    qJPmYZN.png
    Wires

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/400/315/481/481315400_236.jpg
    *Found this image of the 6 different drill bits, each have a unique design for the stand*
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done.

WHEELS.png

Waiting for WK.14, not that interested in modelling WK.13, I'll be honest.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Week 13 just had to many variations (6) and a lack of a good reference for just 1 of the drills was hard without you blending upon another one of the drills.

Like the rim part the tire could use a little more detail to match along the detail of the rim (a simple displacement/normal map would be the easiest)

IlyaIvanovArt: As with Martin you are even further with the rim than he was, you could easily finish this off in 20 minute
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Week 14 is up. Have at it you beautiful people.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Week 14 look like the shape of the Pipe Vice should be more fun to make than Week 13. T

"Have at it you beautiful people"
    LOL
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Week 13 just had to many variations (6) and a lack of a good reference for just 1 of the drills was hard without you blending upon another one of the drills.

Like the rim part the tire could use a little more detail to match along the detail of the rim (a simple displacement/normal map would be the easiest)

IlyaIvanovArt: As with Martin you are even further with the rim than he was, you could easily finish this off in 20 minute

I know that, but honestly for the purpose of this topic I'm not going to bother with unwrapping and texturing the tyre as it was already time-consuming modelling the rim. :poly122:
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KLvR41u.png
    P3wCIeH.png

WIP, most of it blockout just need to go in a smooth/add support edges.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright everyone, its week 15. New reference is up!

Alex, good start on the week 14 blockout. Proportions look good and you've captured all the shapes of the parts accurately. Some of the edges look a bit crazy on the brake pads though. I know you are trying to keep objects one piece, and for practice that is not a bad thing to try, but don't be afraid to use floaters. Its faster and in the end its usually hard to tell the difference.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeeeee. I'm totally going to get in on this week. Love exhaust.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay polycount site is now loading correctly, been wanting to post since Sunday (thanks for the feedback Commandor fixed up the problems). Week 15 looks like fun should get started shortly.

1a259us.png
    Quick Light Render
    A91UIQV.png

Wires
  • M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M.Petersen polycounter lvl 6
    I really need to get better at hard surface so ill be joining more on this one!

topology got kinda messy after a while so here is the result:

untitled_8.jpg
    untitled_7.jpg
    Wires:http://s29.postimg.org/jnwd1sac7/Wireframe.jpg
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made the base only 1 and half hours of work, will be making the end connector and the pipes and wrap it up shouldn't take me to long to complete

rFcd7J3.png

M.Peterson: The last connection connects 3 pipes instead of 2 (one of them splits into 2 to create that third one). Your main front connector isn't correct its symmetrical so you will only have to make one side.

Check out this reference: http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/33002-AH001_02.jpg
  • M.Petersen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M.Petersen polycounter lvl 6
    Thx alex, couldnt find the right reference for that so i just did some random holes etc there.

Kinda restarted the whole thing now and already much better imo

313q2yg.jpg