WIP - Mossberg500

Replies

• bunneh13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bunneh13 polycounter lvl 3
    Sorry missed some items.
    R8Ia2zT.png
    Though I will work on the safety, loosen those edges and figure out what that piece in the middle actually is, mine dosn't look right

Edit - just Noticed you mention the pump, I have no excuse I dunno what i was thinking :p
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    yeah, i've been curious about the pump for awhile. I haven't done much research on the gun itself so I wasn't sure if you took that from a seperate design of the same gun or not. but the other pump would be much more pleasing to the eyes. but the pump is always why i didn't mention making the barrel fatter. but thinking about it, if the barrels to thin, it would probably crack from the pressure of firing rounds.

but its coming along man, just keep working at it.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    The barrel has a pretty significant taper towards the chamber. Your barrel right now looks very straight. Also, the overall diameter could probably get fattened up a bit.

The magazine tube also needs to be a good deal fatter. The diameter of the barrel where it inserts into the receiver, and the magazine tube should be the same diameter.

The thickness of the receiver itself (where the ejection port is) could be a good bit thicker too. It looks paper thin.

Finally, the bolt carrier its much too "large". There is a decent amount of space between it an the exterior of the receiver where you see it through the ejection port.

My suggestion is you try to find some more reference images of everything for a Mossberg 500. Find tear down images, images at different angles, everything you can find. There are a few variations, plus even more differences based on the owner, but certain pieces will always be exactly the same.
  • bunneh13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, right, I went back and gave it a Pump, a safety and started on a heat shield. I know the sights missing I lost it somewhere but be sure I will replace it. I decided to go back and really look at my reference and decided my receiver was way too thin (thanks @commador), I think I have a good thickness but If any one has an opinion or even better actual dimensions I would be grateful. I would defiantly like to keep pushing this as it's fast becoming my best work and would like to really see how good I can make this.
    cdEQE2e.png
    tAyphXh.png
    oh btw. Thanks to everyone who posted and encouraged me not to settle.:)
  • bunneh13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some more details. just an update post.
    iuoIGRY.png
    I know the sights are missing, the shells and torch are place-holders.
  • bunneh13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In regards to the heat shield, I've extruded some faces outward to create thickness but in modo it creates open edges where as in maya I can extrude a face to create a solid box I wonder if anyone can help me with this? Also how would I low poly somthing like this?
    niDf5Gt.png
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You've fallen back to having the brighter diffuse material which makes the specular harder to see (which makes comments on sub-d errors less likely).

Regarding the lowpoly for that, you might find something useful in this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124852

To get the backfaces, did you try Thicken (under Polygon)? That should do it.

And one final thing: Double loops. The greater distance between control loops, the more they will displace when subdivided. When you have a long, thin shape, the difference is quite noticeable. Use double (or more) loops when necessary to keep your smoothing consistent. Look at the corners here:

sp3FOU4.gif
  • bunneh13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been working on low poly, I figured I'd break it down and work on the gun for now so I don't get too lost. Sorry about the mat must of misplaced it at somepoint. Anyway here's my low in its current state.

Thicken worked a treat btw thank you!

8ha07pe.png
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    looks like you have some shading errors (or your normals aren't softened right) in a lot of spots. namely your ejector and where the handle meets the gun itself. you can also still reduce some spots where it doesn't really deform.
  • bunneh13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I'm in the process of cutting it down it was mainly geting the shape/silhouette down. the shading errors seem to be unavoidable in modo since no smoothing groups/edges are supported
  • Daata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how you low-poly is coming along, keep at it! Should be a really strong portfolio piece when completed.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    bunneh13 wrote: »
    yeah I'm in the process of cutting it down it was mainly geting the shape/silhouette down. the shading errors seem to be unavoidable in modo since no smoothing groups/edges are supported

Only just saw this now. Have a look at Farfarer's Vertex Normal Toolkit. You can find some other useful scripts for modo linked in the google doc in my signature. Generally I use PipelineIO though to set hard edges by UV seam on export, so I don't really worry about the shading in modo.