Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Campfire Environment - WIP

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys,

I started going over a few ideas for a personal project yesterday.

The scene's gonna depict a lone bonfire clearing, in the center of some dark, gloomy woods.

Been playing Dark Souls 2 quite a bit recently, so it's gonna be heavily inspired by that, particularly the huntsman's copse area.

So I'm planning to use a nice warm colour range for around the campfire to express a feeling of safety and security. In contrast I'd like to create a sense of mystery and wonder to the surroundings, so I thought about subtle green hues for the fog. I'll have to experiment a lot with those though.

Here's a rough idea of what I had in mind...

XgvziYP.jpg

And here's the tree that I've been creating in zbrush using zspheres...

kRgiMJa.jpg

I've been modelling it from several ref images, but it's the first time I've modelled a tree (or used zspheres. I was quite taken aback by how easy it is to use!), so I wanted to get your thoughts on it before I take it any further.

One issue that I'm having is the poly distribution. They're really stretching around the branches, and it looks very noticeable at high subdivisions. I've been looking into retopoing it, and it seems pretty straightforward, but I was wondering if there's another way to reduce it. Is it possible to reduce it while still modelling with zspheres? I've tried lowering the number of spheres I have, but it doesn't really help much.

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Roughly 3/4 of the way through now retopoing the high mesh. I started using zbrush for the topology but I found it a little too fiddly. Using the graphite tools in max now. I should have it finished later on today, then I can get it into zbrush and start sculpting. Can't wait! :)

4Ayhg92.jpg
  • Doyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doyen polycounter lvl 6
    Check out the ZRemesher in ZBrush for retopology on the tree. Then your process can be like
    1. Sculpt
    2. Export High
    3. ZRemesh
    4. Export Low & UV
    5. Bake your maps
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Doyen, I'll have a look at that now :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finished retopoing the tree now. Well, I actually abandoned the retopology tools half way through and modelled it the old fashioned way :D

Here's the result

o8fz5r0.jpg

I gathered more ref and now I've started to sculpt it in zbrush. Again though, this is the first time I've sculpted a tree, so if anything seems a bit weird or off to you, please give me a shout :)

QxtoewE.jpg

A friend pointed out to me that there doesn't seem to be many sub branches, but I'm going to be saving those for an alpha texture, together with a few stray leaves perhaps.

More updates to follow soon :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little more progress...

P9e5PiL.jpg

PfBZZjN.jpg
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Several more details added to the sculpt, and I've made the trunk slightly thinner. It seemed too thick from a few angles

VdmXIlO.jpg

3oU0kXA.jpg

More updates soon :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't really like where this was going, so I went back to the low mesh in max and made a few adjustments, and then started the sculpt again. I thought it was a bit all over the place at first, and I wanted to make more of a twist to the form of the trunk.

The branches were too thin to work with, so I went back and made them a bit thicker. Still tricky though.

Here's the updated sculpt after today.

Crits welcome as always :)

AtZXm8a.jpg

zggMszy.jpg
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I think I'm pretty much done with the high poly now. Here's a few more pics :)

Gonna start baking shortly.

Any crits are welcome. Cheers :)

69ksiiN.jpg

sVNDG7G.jpg

pIQuakg.jpg
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here's the low poly for the tree. It's currently at 7,888 tris. Still LOADS of optimizing to be done though. Hopefully should start unwrapping either tonight or tomorrow.

More updates soon :)

VxqyV9s.jpg
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just realised that I didn't put the engine I was using in the title of the thread, sorry!

I'm using UDK for this.

I've captured a few pics from the intro at the beginning of dark souls 2. This is what gave me the idea for the scene...

n3f34SJ.jpg

Still unwrapping the tree at the moment.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. Moved the rough terrain geo into UDK along with the updated tree, and set up some lighting and fog to see how it looks. Positioning of the trees isn't final though, and all of the other stuff are just placeholders atm.

Can't wait to get these tree UVs sorted!

xyHGXxP.jpg

EDIT: Also meant to mention, about the high poly above. I decided not to include the alpha tree bark. The polys were getting ridiculous, and the results were pretty noisy, even at a bigger brush size. So I'm just gonna generate those myself. Not sure how yet. I'll give it more thought :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I've finished unwrapping the low poly now. Here are the UVs. It's the first bake though, and there are a few errors that'll need correcting. As predicted there are a lot of UV islands; perhaps too many. Although I've tried to reduce them as much as I could. Just wanted to get your thoughts on them. I rendered the normals at 2048x2048, but I'm gonna aim to reduce it to 1k for the final.

Also, here's a quick test of the normal map in UDK :)

AO pass next!

pj7Fqky.jpg

DdXPFBN.jpg
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I've started to texture now. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback regarding the UVs? Just wanted to get your thoughts before I get stuck in. I'd really appreciate it! :)
  • shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    The UVs look fine, really tight too. Can't vouch for the style as I don't play Dark Souls, but your sculpt looks fine, if a little lacking in colour variation. Keep it up :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much shadacer :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's how the scene's looking so far. Still using the WIP terrain. I'll get that sorted next. All of my time's been focused on the tree lately. Looking forward to moving onto other stuff :) Still need to do the tree bark yet though.

C0aiNC7.jpg
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Great work so far, I can't wait to see the texture. I know you are in the early block out phase, but I would plan to add at least another tree or two to add variation and filler to your scene.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! :) Yeah that's a good point. Hopefully now that I have a better idea of how to create them I should be able to hammer a couple more out quicker next time around. Cheers :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One last quick update for today. Got plenty of work to do this week, so I might have to leave this for a few days. I'll be back on it as soon as I can though.

Just been working on the diffuse today and adding a few details to the normal map.

oxdo3yp.jpg
  • Andaya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I´ll wait your progress... it could be a BIG ONE! On the other hand, Have you tried to use Speedtree software for modelling background trees? It is a fantastic program that can help you achieve more randomness and variety in your scene, avoiding you to use the same model more than necessary.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks Andaya. Yeah I was considering it. I've always shied away from modelling trees myself, so I wanted to finally give it a go and create one from scratch. It has been pretty time-consuming though. I'll look into Speedtree next if it starts to look repetitive. Thanks! :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, did a quick render in marmoset 2 of the tree. Going to be using vertex paint in UDK to add more variation to the surface eventually i.e. moss, damp etc. Think I'm gonna leave this one alone for now though and concentrate on the other parts of the scene.

Crits welcome though, as always :)

9tBKk26.png
  • Bryan Strongoli
    That tree is coming out pretty well, I'm excited to see the vertex painting!

I dunno if you're still playing around with the composition or not, but I think you might wanna revisit some of the placement of the objects. I usually lay over a rule of thirds guide over my environment work to see if the points of emphasis are lining up. :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bryan! I'll bear that in mind :) Yeah I haven't really decided on the composition fully yet. I'd originally planned to have the trees surrounding the campfire and also framing the shot, with the fire in the centre being the focal point. I also wanted to include a silhouette of the ruins in the background to the left of the shot.

I'll upload another pic shortly when I get a chance, to show you what I mean. Been working on a few objects this week too, in between work. I'll upload some pics asap :)

Thanks again!
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    for composition, I would think of pulling the ruins a bit closer, and removing some trees from in front of it. You would still be able to use the campfire as a focal point, I just think it would help with the composition. and always remember the rule of thirds. or the golden ratio. and keep it up ^_^
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks luge, will do! :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, had lots of work on this week, so haven't done as much on this as I would've liked. I'll try and make up for it next week :)

I've been looking into composition, and actually stumbled on a pretty good resource from another thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72082 (I didn't realize how old it was before I commented :D)

I've done a paintover of what I imagined, while keeping the composition in mind, specifically the rule of thirds as the other guys have pointed out. Forgive me for it's crudeness, it's pretty rough!

As was suggested by luge, I've pulled the ruins in closer and I've moved the camera to the side so the fire sits nearly parallel to the left vertical line. Do the trees look like okay to you, position-wise?

The ruins are sitting more or less dead-centre, which isn't really advised? I'm a little unsure about where to put them. I tried them off-centre, near the left vertical line, but it didn't look right with the arrangement I already had. In the end I moved them back and reduced the opacity to make sure they weren't too distracting. Let me know if you thing it looks off though.

This is actually the first time that I've taken composition into so much consideration before, I'm sorry to say. Well, I've always tried to take care with it, but it's the first time that I've approached with a little better understanding of it, if you get me.

Anyway, feedback would be really appreciated :) Thanks guys!

9WjY4SW.jpg

knANJi6.jpg
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, been a while since I've had a chance to work on this. Finally got around to doing more on it though over the weekend :)

I've decided to rethink the layout, and to include a stone path going through the woods. Also been working on some grass. Here's a quick screengrab from UDK. I've been placing the grass clumps by hand so far, using alt + shift and left click. I've got some straight planes as well that I'd like to put in between the stones on the texture.

Also, here's a render from inside marmoset of the stone path texture.

Still unsure about the composition tbh. The tree placement isn't sitting right with me at them moment. I like the one sitting nearest to the fire light, but the other too are framing the shot, which is looking a little contrived. Maybe when I get more trees in it'll make more sense.

The next thing I'm gonna work on though is the earth/dirt texture, and then eventually use mesh paint to blend it with the stones.

More updates soon! Any crits would be great :)

W6kP0Rd.jpg

Ssnd9TI.png
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

I haven't forgotten about this! I don't have any fixed time set aside to work for this - work's picking up again atm, so I'm pretty much working on it as and when, so it's taking longer than I'd like. I'm enjoying it though :)

Started experimenting with vertex paint. Managed to get the grass blending with the mud. I'm still not sure about the mud texture yet though. Might redo it. I sculpted it in zbrush and then made it tileable from the displacement map, but I think I could probably get a better (and more convincing!) result from just using PS and Ndo. What do you think of it? I do like this mesh painting though :D

eBdsuaN.jpg

There's the issue of the seams though running alongside the road. I exported the terrain geo from max with two materials (the mud and the road). The downside though is the obvious tiling that's going on when I try and blend the road with the grass.

jVCovyr.jpg

I could probably go back and weld the terrain and road Uvs together to create a seamless blend (the road is tiling straight vertically atm). The downside of course being that the cobbles won't conform to the direction of the road. I'm not really sure what to do for the best!

Any suggestions and/or feedback would be grand :) thanks
  • dblackwell_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome dude! keep going!
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Really improving!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    You could either weld the UVs, or you could experiment with doing some sort of alpha-blend as a seperate material between the two, that uses the grass as an alpha to mask the transition. We did that kinda stuff at Frontier years ago, worked really well!
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, and thanks for the tip PogoP! Sounds great - I'll give it a try :)