Home General Discussion

HELP! I can't talk to people in the industry!!!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
So, I've recently got my first job in the game industry as a games tester and I'm trying to get into the art side of things.

What I am asking all you esteemed polycount posters is this.

Say you have a new person in your company - how would you like them to talk to you?

Do you mind if they come over and ask what you are doing? do you mind if they ask questions? what does too many questions look like? do you prefer enquiring emails that you can reply to in your own time? or do you give a person more respect if they just come over and ask you?

Cheers All!

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    There was a similar thread just a while ago, worth a read http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123108&page=2

basically: don't be a game tester
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I'll express what is apparently an unpopular opinion: being a tester is fine. If nothing else, many job requirements ask for experience with shipping games -- more than half do not say "as an artist". They don't care what your role was, they want to know that you're familiar with production and how it really works as opposed to how the general public thinks making games happens. I actually started in QA myself, and I know plenty of others who have done the same. It's much more common to move into a producer role or design roles from there, but that doesn't mean moving to art is impossible. I've even done double-duty and once worked as a QA lead and art intern at the same time. Small company, many hats.

Personally, I don't mind questions. Too many would be any point at which it's stopping me from getting work done, at which point I would probably say something like, "Hey, can we talk about this more later?" Emails are fine too, but I like to know who I'm talking to/emailing, so I prefer (but don't absolutely need) an introduction first. There's nothing wrong with talking to someone in general, even more so if you're just saying, "Hi, I'm the new QA person, I wanted to introduce myself and say hello."

Finally, I'd like to critique your thread title. You are talking to people in the industry by making this very thread. It's too perplexing to essentially walk up to a group of people and shout, "I can't talk to you!" =)
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Befriend people outside of their work space, like in the break room, external work events, group activities, etc. Dont be weird about it, the worst thing you can do in this industry is be a complete asshat. Asshats get fired/excommunicated/blacklisted pretty damn quick. As "large" as this industry seems to be, each geographical area has its own community and everyone knows everyone it seems. If they dont, then there is at least that one guy that has a friend who works at another studio and you would be surprised how fast word can get around. I have seen it happen multiple times already with my limited time in this industry.

Befriend people at the studio, and then casually bring up the topic of work and what they do and the like. Not only will you get more detailed info, you now have true contacts on the dev side of the studio. Beware though, bugging people repeatedly is not a good idea, normally the person can be in a groove and chugging along with their work... Sending regular PM's can get on people's nerves.

Just some tid bits I have noticed here and there. I personally enjoy explaining what I do to others, at work, especially if they show true interest.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Best way to break the ice, is to show some art, and ask for a brutally honest critique.

If you take the feedback to heart, and actually make the suggested changes, you will get MAD props.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    ..And of course show some art here...start a solid thread, get people to know who you are...there's nothing wrong with putting your company in your sig.

All the pro's come to Polycount....many a connection and job has been made here.
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Stand behind their computer chair gramiacing and shaking your head, then step in to offer your awesome critique loudly, preferably while their lead is nearby.

Then offer to sell them your latest tutorial on uv unwrapping at a discounted price. Pretty soon theyll get the message that youre awesome.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Drav wrote: »
    Stand behind their computer chair gramiacing and shaking your head, then step in to offer your awesome critique loudly, preferably while their lead is nearby.

Then offer to sell them your latest tutorial on uv unwrapping at a discounted price. Pretty soon theyll get the message that youre awesome.
    /\
    This, its sure to get you all the friends.
    haha, that's much too specific to just be hypothetical, first hand experience?

Gail, honestly showing art is probably the best way, be careful about making any comments on people art before you know them, or unless they specifically ask about it, you could end up trying to compliment them and unknowingly insult them.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Best way to break the ice, is to show some art, and ask for a brutally honest critique.

If you take the feedback to heart, and actually make the suggested changes, you will get MAD props.

Yeah, absolutely. Most artists are happy to offer feedback, and if you take it really well (which is RARE) you'll definitely stand out. I've made many friends this way.

But like other posters said, don't bother people while they're working. If you're gonna approach at all try to do it during a break or something. You don't want to become "That annoying guy who keeps interrupting me".
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    You Filthy Tester! Get back in your cage!

JacqueChoi +1 what he said.
  • nyx702
    Yea showing art is cool but personally I don't want to come over to your computer and I sure as hell don't want to bring up your AngleFire site at work. So if it were me I would ask if I could email you some stuff to look at whenever you get a chance.

Generally I would rather play games with you or something and talk about art stuff casually as it comes. Ask what they are playing lately and see if you can join in.
  • skankerzero
    I dunno, I always hung out with the testers. They were much cooler and more fun to talk to than most devs.
  • gsokol
    It probably depends on the place a little bit.

I went the QA route back in the day. I ended up having a good connection with some of the artists...who later on down the line were able to hook me up with a job.

First time I broke the ice and talked to some dudes was when we were drunk as shit at a release party.....so yeah beer always helps.

Word of advice...don't be annoying...and try to be yourself. Being a cool dude that can hold a normal conversation will get you a long way. And yeah...for portfolio critique or anything like that...email is always the nicest way to go...then people can respond when they have time.
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    friends are overrated. A good body pillow and mirror can keep one satisfied for life.

ya, show art, ask for crits or advice. Try and find outside company events to go to. New movie coming.. ask if anyone else is interested in going. Buy a beer or two as well helps.
  • .polygon
    Offline / Send Message
    .polygon polycounter lvl 11
    What would be cool. Find a part of the game that you really like. A character/environment/ prop. Whatever. And ask who made it and find that person and talk about it. See it's that easy. Tell em why it's good, how they did this or that part, etc.
  • skankerzero
    Why is this so difficult?

We're not rockstars and shouldn't be put on pedestals. Just go talk to whoever you want to.
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    It's probably way easier just to make a good portfolio and apply at places for open positions as opposed to trying to creep in as a tester and beg people to let you move out of it.
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I didn't expect so many replies!
    I've read all of them and have found them informative, interesting and occasionally funny! =P

Sorry about the title - I was feeling a bit frustrated and it was the first thing that came into my head, probably not the best idea!

I come from a retail management background were you had to communicate/nag people all the time to get stuff done and I'm just wondering what the appropriate level of communication/nagging. As, quite rightly, this is a business not a coffee shop
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i was testing a game when i was still in school, which turned into an internship and apprenticeship and well my career. those gods you don't dare to talk to, are most probably as nerdy and shy as you are. just try to not be annoying :P
  • baalnazzar
    There's no sense for looking what's cool or what isn't. Just be natural and talk. It is hard to communicate if you have to play your role instead of simply talk to ppl :)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sure devs want to talk to interesting people as much as you do :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Why is this so difficult?

We're not rockstars and shouldn't be put on pedestals. Just go talk to whoever you want to.

Correct. Don't put people on pedestals.

I went to a game art show in Seattle once and two complete strangers walked up to me and knew who I was. They then continued to freak out and say how awesome I was and how I was an art god and how they wanted to eat my brain to absorb my powers.

It was fucking weird.

People are just people. Talk to them like you would a normal stranger at the grocery store.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    ...Say you have a new person in your company - how would you like them to talk to you?...
    Cheers All!

I feel like you're over thinking it. What I do when I join a new company is look for a group of people about to head out to lunch and ask to join them. That way you're in a group setting instead of an awkward 1-to-1.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Correct. Don't put people on pedestals.

I went to a game art show in Seattle once and two complete strangers walked up to me and knew who I was. They then continued to freak out and say how awesome I was and how I was an art god and how they wanted to eat my brain to absorb my powers.

It was fucking weird.

People are just people. Talk to them like you would a normal stranger at the grocery store.

ahahahaha yeah those are awesome, my best quote:

"you are like Britney Spears to me"

well thank you o_O
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    ahahahaha yeah those are awesome, my best quote:

"you are like Britney Spears to me"

well thank you o_O

Yeah, I did that once ^^;;

So it's something I'm aware of that I do.

OR, what happens is I get a little star struck and even though I have interesting and intelligent things to say. My brain goes blank and i just gap like a fish!
  • Napa
    I just landed a job doing Technical Support so I'm in a similar situation as yourself. I'm trying to do the art side of things too, I just need to bide some time to get caught up on portfolio work.

A friend of mine that works at a large company near where I live gave me some advice when I started to look for jobs:

01. Find people in your immediate space and get to know them. You never know what connections they may have that's right up your field, even if you're meeting them through QA.

02. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the QA side of things, but don't bother the other artists too much by forcing yourself on them. Be a fly on the wall and soak up anything they say that might pertain to you but keep your head down for a while until you're sure you know what you're talking about.

03. Get to know people outside of the office so that they can get to know you, but again, don't barrage them with your portfolio or student work just yet, wait until you start to get to know people a little better to see how they'll react [not everyone is as welcoming in real life as they are on polycount with critiques, especially when they're busy. It's the holidays - it's tough to not catch someone that hasn't been working for 14 hours straight].

04. Listen, listen, listen. Listen and learn as much as you can. You'll learn a lot about how things work on the inside just being a part of the company and keeping up with company emails. We're just as included in QA and development at the company I work for as any of the developers themselves and I'm only Technical Support.

05. Make yourself known on here like a lot of people have mentioned, but learn at your company through listening and applying that to your work. Do what you were hired to do and do it well and people will notice and appreciate that. That might open avenues to get your way into that studio just as well as getting in touch with the art department out the gate.

• chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hah the responses in this thread. I for one love hanging out with testers, in my experience they're really good people, super willing to give feedback, they play a lot of games which I love since I try to keep up with a lot of games.

I wouldn't worry about talking to other departments :) They're just nerds like you.

However, if I wanted to become an artist, I'd try to stay away a little bit from the tester thing, you can kinda get stuck there without it being your fault. You will barely have time to make art on the side.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Just remember, we're all human beans and if you treat us like that we'll treat you like one in return.
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    I love to Hang out with QA.I don'T know much people on the tester side however.

I don't mind people walking up to me with some specific questions, it depend in what manners and the question it self.

If you walk up to me just trying to be friendly and I'm busy, is not gonna work, don't be creepy.

Sending an e-mail is the best for me.
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    lunch time - activity time! - Best time!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I always found it difficult to talk to people in games companies, was so nervous when I first started, but now I don't tend to get nervous at all if I have to work in house.
    I was actually so nervous I couldn't eye contact anyone for ages, but I guess that comes with maturity and an some point you think fuck it , I don't really care about that anymore
    TBH some people were damn unfriendly though and would not look at you twice, so it can be hard to deal with
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you guys should possibly attend to THU 2015 and watch some artists path talks, you will be astonished how many great great great artists suffer/ed from the same
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Napa wrote: »
    I just landed a job doing Technical Support so I'm in a similar situation as yourself. I'm trying to do the art side of things too, I just need to bide some time to get caught up on portfolio work.

A friend of mine that works at a large company near where I live gave me some advice when I started to look for jobs:

01. Find people in your immediate space and get to know them. You never know what connections they may have that's right up your field, even if you're meeting them through QA.

02. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the QA side of things, but don't bother the other artists too much by forcing yourself on them. Be a fly on the wall and soak up anything they say that might pertain to you but keep your head down for a while until you're sure you know what you're talking about.

03. Get to know people outside of the office so that they can get to know you, but again, don't barrage them with your portfolio or student work just yet, wait until you start to get to know people a little better to see how they'll react [not everyone is as welcoming in real life as they are on polycount with critiques, especially when they're busy. It's the holidays - it's tough to not catch someone that hasn't been working for 14 hours straight].

04. Listen, listen, listen. Listen and learn as much as you can. You'll learn a lot about how things work on the inside just being a part of the company and keeping up with company emails. We're just as included in QA and development at the company I work for as any of the developers themselves and I'm only Technical Support.

05. Make yourself known on here like a lot of people have mentioned, but learn at your company through listening and applying that to your work. Do what you were hired to do and do it well and people will notice and appreciate that. That might open avenues to get your way into that studio just as well as getting in touch with the art department out the gate.

Your friend has some good advice there - I will take it on board.

Another point I'd like to broach here!

In the UK they have this "Game Dev North" even that I've been told is very good to get to meet some games industry people face-to-face.

Has anyone been to this event or similar ones? Are they good to go along to and get contacts? are then even fun to attend?
  • Mark Dygert
    I've found the best way to exit an awkward conversation is to grab whatever is in their hand and throw it, then while they're distracted run the opposite direction.
    Ahh but what if they aren't holding anything? They will always have something in their hands because you need to start each conversation with "here hold this".

FOOLPROOF! (throws mouse against the wall and disappears under desk) ...foolproof...