Home Technical Talk

Problem loading my website.

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Hey guys.
I know polycount may not be the best place to ask for help, but maybe someone has ran into my issue.

I'm hosting a website with a friend. The hosting is reliable, so all I had to do was pay for the domain, which, for me, is far better than paying for hosting too.

Anyway, it works on every computer, except for my own. I can't access it, or it's FTP. The only time I can access the site is through a proxy website, like HideMyAss.com, which is seriously getting in the way, since I can't get to the files to update them.

Like I said, it works on every other computer. I'm thinking it's something to do with my modem and router, since it refuses to work on my iPhone when connected to Wifi, but works great through 3G. My desktop is plugged into the router.

I've looked all over the internet, and most places are saying the problem could be relate to the MAC address, and that I should create a spoofed one. But I can't figure out how to; the router I'm using is a Motorola SURFboard something or other.

I've checked a few things; it's not my antivirus, my firewall, or any sort of malware. It's also not related to the DNS Cache. Beyond that, I don't know.

My friends website, which shares the hosting, also doesn't work on my computer.

Also, the sites work sometimes. But today they've not worked at all for me. Sometimes it works for a couple hours, or a couple of minutes, but most of the time it doesn't at all.

Any ideas what it could be, if not the MAC address?

Thanks guys. It's been a frustrating day trying to figure this stuff out.

Replies

• Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Define 'Doesn't work'
    Does it just sit at a blank page, do you get a 'Page cannot be found' ?

Your router might have a certain port blocked.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Oh, sorry, yes, I should have been more specific.

It loads for a minute or so, and then says "chrome could not connect to Joopson.com"...
    This same result happens no matter the browser.

If I try to ping it in the command prompt, I just get a 100% packet loss, and it tells me the request timed out.

As for ports being blocked, looking at the router's settings, port filtering and IP filtering are both disabled. Also in the settings, in the firewall section, it says "No Ports Restricted."
  • EvilPixills
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Hey Joopson,

I recall having the same issue with my website a few times in the past. After much investigation it turns out it was my ISP that was the culprit. It fixed itself within a few days but it was extremely annoying. Try contacting your ISP and see what they can do.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Thanks, EvilPixills, I'll do that ASAP. Hopefully it's as simple as that!