Home General Discussion

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. That's not really much of an answer though.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Blaizer, what system are you on? Wondering if I need a HD upgrade :(
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Most of the people who are currently playing the PC version are reporting good things on the Steam forums but I saw some things on reddit that make me think otherwise about the port. Apparently the multiplayer is capped at 90 FPS which is a big problem to anybody that spent extra money on a 120hz monitor. Additionally, some people are reporting that mouse movements are "flawed" like in Ghosts (which I believe was caused by forced mouse acceleration). Also, basically every PC-specific question was skipped in the AMA about the game so that's never a good sign.

I'd like to think the game will be great but Ghosts was quite possibly the worst game related purchase I've ever made. I have never before seen a game that actually gets considerably worse AFTER being updated, then there was the unbannable hacker problem that started 3-4 days after release that never got solved.

Regardless of all that, the campaign of AW looks amazing and the art is very inspirational. I'll definitely pick it up for the singleplayer at some point.
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    It is a Good Game

edit: and a very performant PC port as well. nice
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    ill be joining in tomorrow mornings livestream for Day Zero Live. :) tune in.

COD_AW_LIVESTREAMPOST.jpg
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/call_of_duty_advanced_warfare_review.html

review here, not sure how legit it is considering the embargo on reviewing. worth a look anyways.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Seems like the embargo is gone, most sites posted their review today.
  • inflict3d
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah have seen it on another board. I mean the game seems to be good. But hell millions of player sat through 5 Metal gear Solid Games and 13 Final Fantasy Games and none had QTEs and people still played and liked them...why did anyone think we might want to press random buttons during vidoesequences?

This one is...specially weird....why not give us a couple more..less fitting options.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hearing mixed reviews, best to wait it out before buying imo. Oh well, still got the Division and RS Siege to look forward to :D
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    im still weirded out by how mediocre their effects are.
    for a game that relies so heavy on spectacle CoD hasn't realy come far since 2007.

multyplayer still looks like a lot of fun though. might be playing this.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    very proud to see this finally out in people's hands. gonna be an exciting day!! :poly136:
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Goeddy wrote: »
    im still weirded out by how mediocre their effects are.
    for a game that relies so heavy on spectacle CoD hasn't realy come far since 2007.

multyplayer still looks like a lot of fun though. might be playing this.

Any examples? Im just curious, I was blown away by the vfx work done on halo 4, I would be surprised if this isnt as good.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    First Call of Duty game that has me interested. Looks much more like arena shooters that I actually enjoy.
  • KeithC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeithC polycounter lvl 7
    Getting a copy for myself and my oldest!
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I realize a lot of people are on current-gen but if anyone wants to play or chat on Xbox360 my gamertag is: Nine Thirteen

Will be on tonight, around 6 or so EST. I only play multiplayer!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Just finished the game in one sitting, PC version. It was alright for a Call of Duty campaign. Great visuals and performance. I'd say it's on par with Ghosts. It's very transparent that it's the first CoD game for Sledgehammer Games, they did a good job, but it doesn't compare to the best in series.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    PS4 or PC? Debating..
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Singleplayer is very enjoyable so far and multiplayer is awesome the double jump alone makes it feel a lot more fresh and interesting.

Got it for XB1 as that's where I always play COD but really missing the screenshot feature from PS4 as there is so much awesome art!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    beefaroni wrote: »
    PS4 or PC? Debating..

If you have an uber PC then I imagine that version would be nicer to look at :poly142:
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    Just finished the game in one sitting, PC version. It was alright for a Call of Duty campaign. Great visuals and performance. I'd say it's on par with Ghosts. It's very transparent that it's the first CoD game for Sledgehammer Games, they did a good job, but it doesn't compare to the best in series.

what can u say about multiplayer mode, btw?
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Got this last night for the xbone, easily my fave cod in quite some time. The double jump and dash feature is a really refreshing addition and I love the loot drop and overall customization in the multiplayer. Played the first 2 levels of the campaign and I am really intrigued and holy hell the art is awesome, congrats to the team on this one!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Woooo! So excited to see (most) everyone enjoying it :) The MP, in my mind, is where this game really shines and comes out as the innovative entry that it is for the series.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Ged wrote: »
    Any examples? Im just curious, I was blown away by the vfx work done on halo 4, I would be surprised if this isnt as good.

COD AW fire
    http://youtu.be/pUysNWHffWg?t=1m12s
    http://youtu.be/pUysNWHffWg?t=2m10s

Crysis 3 explosions
    http://youtu.be/DakTQSOtV-U?t=51s

this might be an earlier version of COD AW, so i don't know if my impression is entirely correct.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d wrote: »
    what can u say about multiplayer mode, btw?
    I play CoD for single player. I'm that guy:poly142:
  • littleclaude
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's not even just the eyebrows, it's the eyes too, even the eyeballs seem dead to movement.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because he did not move them. There was just some incredible but static intensity there.

Why doesn't anybody talk about this one instead... ;)

i7cIjzHoPvmLo.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Goeddy wrote: »
    COD AW fire
    http://youtu.be/pUysNWHffWg?t=1m12s
    http://youtu.be/pUysNWHffWg?t=2m10s

Crysis 3 explosions
    http://youtu.be/DakTQSOtV-U?t=51s

this might be an earlier version of COD AW, so i don't know if my impression is entirely correct.

hmmm yeah I see what you mean, rather simple looking effects(like just 2 layers fire animation, and smoke alpha), perhaps they are more complicated than meets the eye or like you say these arent the finished article. The grenade style explosion at 1:29 looks pretty cool though.

Wont stop me wanting to play it at all though :)
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Holy shit, these faces are impressive. You know, I wouldn't have thought that a Call of Duty game would be the one of the first games where I was taken aback by how realistic the faces are. I swear, even Beyond Two Souls & L.A Noire which were supposed to be at the forefront of face tech still had something unrealistic about them.

I'm assuming they're doing the Last of Us approach, 2 models for in-game cinematics and one for gameplay, the cinematic version being MUCH more high res, plus being pre-rendered in engine. Still impressive regardless.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you mean the level opening cinematics, that's offline rendered.

http://www.digicpictures.com/news/2014/call-of-duty-r-advanced-warfare/
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit, these faces are impressive. You know, I wouldn't have thought that a Call of Duty game would be the one of the first games where I was taken aback by how realistic the faces are. I swear, even Beyond Two Souls & L.A Noire which were supposed to be at the forefront of face tech still had something unrealistic about them.

I'm assuming they're doing the Last of Us approach, 2 models for in-game cinematics and one for gameplay, the cinematic version being MUCH more high res, plus being pre-rendered in engine. Still impressive regardless.

Well, cinematics are purely CGI video clips, there's no game engine in that. And in gameplay cut-scenes he still looks good, but they don't differ from gameplay graphics because it's all realtime.

There's nothing that impressive about the faces, it's just 3d scan technology that is widely used to bring actors' faces in games nowadays. For example, faces in Ryse:Son of Rome look just as good, even better than AW's do because of superior animation quality.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Is it normal to have animation fit-crossing one title to an other ? i played ghost for a while and clearly at the 12:30 time mark this is carried right from the previous title to this one. Or is this something am missing here ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKKmpHPkeN4#t=547
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looks like Conan genuinely enjoyed it !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b82idSYHSu8&list=UUi7GJNg51C3jgmYTUwqoUXA"]Clueless Gamer: Conan Reviews "Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare" - CONAN on TBS - YouTube[/ame]
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    pior wrote: »
    Looks like Conan genuinely enjoyed it !

You should watch the World of Warcraft one of these, I nearly pee'd X'D
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm playing it in ultra but without super sampling, and i'm getting with fraps 75-200+ fps (depending the zone, effects, DOF, etc.)

TXAA is not present like in COD Ghosts, a huge shame for me. And in the practice area, i get huge pixelation on Ilona, a woman there (like those ones used to censor some parts in videos), maybe due to the skin shader? a bug?. It gets fixed when i enable super sampling (AA) to x16. x8 i still get that graphical glitch, uggghhh and the FPS fall down to unplayable levels, 12 fps in a zone with 140+ fps. Something it's not working well there, because with Shadows of Mordor and too many other games... this issue of huge drop of fps is not so exaggerated, excessive. And i complained about Ghosts ROLFMAO.

Before entering the Atlas base, with the other characters i had zero issues of pixelation :S

I also have noticed that COD Ghosts have bigger textures, much much bigger. Ultra is not Ultra in this game compared to Ghosts, in which playing at 4K you almost don't notice texels. Again, PC gaming is suffering due to the actual "next gen" of videoconsoles and this is not a 4K game like Ghosts or Shadows of Mordor.

Anyways the game runs very well, but i would have loved to see more features to tweak, not only brightness, but contrast and gamma, etc. The campaign of BF4 is a color feast with its correct contrast and saturation, but this COD is as "grey" as the others... it only adds "white fog" with more brightness.

And as PC gamer, i didn't find the FOV changer, another shame for me. When i launch the game, i only see, campaign, co-op, and multi. The menu is poorly designed (like old CODs by IW), and you CAN'T access the graphical options since the start, key mappings, etc. unless if you are ingame and you press "esc". How's that good for a PC?, come on, for god's sake!. Again, another thing i suffer due to consoles. Treyarch put more interest into a proper PC version. Sledgehammer just added an automatic detection of hardware and it's like: "be happy and shut up", when we can get better perfomance/graphics tweaking a few aspects.

They should have invested more money and time doing a proper PC version with all its common options and not this. Those live actions movies they made for advertising are pretty cool... very expensive, but this what i comment should have been a priority.

It's a decent game, but very very short compared to other CODs' campaigns. 7/10.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You know Super Sampling is basically rendering at 4x-16x your display resolution and then scaling everything down. It's not AA in the traditional sense and has a huge performance impact. It's really only a setting there to future proof the game a bit more, give another thing for people running 3 graphics cards on one monitor at 60 fps to play with, and allows you to take really pretty screen shots.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Blaizer wrote: »
    And as PC gamer, i didn't find the FOV changer, another shame for me. When i launch the game, i only see, campaign, co-op, and multi. The menu is poorly designed (like old CODs by IW), and you CAN'T access the graphical options since the start, key mappings, etc. unless if you are ingame and you press "esc". How's that good for a PC?, come on, for god's sake!.

Press spacebar :D. I was wondering the same thing as you..

So far, I'm having fun on PC. Although I am running into that Mouse Sensitivity bug. It's pretty frustrating to have the mouse suddenly jump across the screen from time to time but I am hoping Sledgehammer will release a fix for that.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Game looks fantastic!!!!

:) Im gonna pick it up when i have a bit more time, but this looks amazing!

Grats to the team, and the great reviews!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's a decent game, but very very short compared to other CODs' campaigns. 7/10.
    As as fan of CoD, I can say it's as long as any other CoD's campaign. I recently did a marathon of every game since MW and they are all 4-7 hours long.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

So far, I'm having fun on PC.

Yo Beef, have you tried much of the multiplayer, how ya finding it?
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Whoever came up with the idea of bringing in Kevin Spacey is a genius.
    I Hope he/she got a huge raise.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ya. I've only played MP.

The lag is kinda bad right now, but not bad enough to stop playing. From what I've read, it should settle down in a few days. Hopefully.

The movement system is pretty nice online. To do well it seems I need to find a nice balance between jumping like a rabbit and moving more traditionally. It also gives the ability to retreat quickly and introduces more of a defensive movement element to COD that I don't think it had before.

The map design is pretty nice as well. I haven't played through all of the maps yet, but running on the rooftops isn't completely over-powered. Staying on the ground usually provides more cover as the roofs are pretty exposed in one or more directions. In some maps I find that it's safer to traverse the map by foot/dashing rather than jumping like a madman.

My main complaint is that I wish we could re-map the dodge/dash button to something other than double tapping move left or move right. As it stands right now, if I am strafing, I have to stop strafing to then double tap the same key to dash. In Hawken, pressing a movement key and tapping shift dodges in each direction. It feels incredibly fluid vs. COD. The double tapping isn't horrible, but I would love an option to remap. I think it would be a small fix that would really improve the experience. Hopefully it can be done!!

In terms of something they can't fix, I really really enjoyed the BLOPS2 unlock system with the tokens. Very minor though..
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Press spacebar :D. I was wondering the same thing as you..

So far, I'm having fun on PC. Although I am running into that Mouse Sensitivity bug. It's pretty frustrating to have the mouse suddenly jump across the screen from time to time but I am hoping Sledgehammer will release a fix for that.

That only works if you choose co-op or multi, but in campaign mode, nothing... you don't have the option for the fov. In Multiplayer or co-op the max is 90, and it's the acceptable, but in campaign mode.. bluarrrghh!

They must do something to solve that for the campaign in the PC version. Playing it produces me headache.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    That only works if you choose co-op or multi, but in campaign mode, nothing... you don't have the option for the fov.

awwww
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    As as fan of CoD, I can say it's as long as any other CoD's campaign. I recently did a marathon of every game since MW and they are all 4-7 hours long.

I also re-played some old CODs, but this one, with the super speed, those jumps, with those Crysis Nanosuit powers, you beat the game just running and jumping. For example, the Traffic mission is done in minutes. Too much QTE with scripted sequences.

I usually don't jump to the multiplayer so fast, in one afternoon, after downloading and starting the game for the first time. CoD Ghosts in Veteran mode gave me more hours of gameplay, 2 days.

But well, if you play in the easiest mode, you can save time though, but it's a nonsense to play in that mode. I love to play in a difficult mode to experience a solid gameplay and not a gameplay for babies. So in terms of difficulty, with Black Ops 1 and 2 i had more hours. And with Ghosts more of the same.

The multiplayer looks good but i miss some Alien or Zombie modes. So far, we have like 15 maps that are quite small and the game modes are pretty classical. Let's see if the season pass adds value to the game. Imho, i feel like i paid a lot for the acting of kevin Spacey :) and all those CGIs. Like i would have paid 50€ for a ticket at the cinema... insane.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Now I'm just confused about the PC port. I see people saying that it's a good port, but then those same people mention a lot of the huge glaring issues that made Ghosts a waste of time and money.

I'll probably wait at least a month before picking up the game, it seems like the game suffers from some of the flaws that Ghosts had which the developers say they'll fix, but in reality they'll forget about it.
    Although I am running into that Mouse Sensitivity bug. It's pretty frustrating to have the mouse suddenly jump across the screen from time to time but I am hoping Sledgehammer will release a fix for that.

This was a huge problem in Ghosts, I'm not sure if the solution will be the same as Ghosts, but I would check to make sure your mouse is running with a polling rate of 125mhz or 250mhz. If you use a gaming mouse, chances are you set it to 500mhz or 1000mhz considering that would be more accurate, but some games seem to not support those polling rates.

If that doesn't work, you could alter the config_mp file in the players2 folder within the game's installation directory. Add seta cl_mouseAccel “0” , seta r_elevatedPriority “0” , and seta in_mouse “2” to the file or change the values if they are already there (this was obtained from a google search, I'm assuming it will work)

and finally, if that doesn't fix it, then when you are in the menu for multiplayer, press CTRL + ALT + Delete to open up task manager and right click the application in the process list and check to see if the game's priority is set to High. Ghosts was set to high by default and it caused a plethora of issues including stuttering and strange mouse behavior, so just set it to Normal. In Windows 8 I believe you had to go to the Details tab in task manager (or something named similarly) to change process priority.

Hopefully something there fixes it. On a side note, have you noticed any cheaters yet? Ghosts seemingly had no cheat protection and so people would enter matches with aimbots and would make no attempts to hide their cheats since they would just fly around and headshot everybody as soon as they were visible. I'm hoping that isn't the case for AW.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Will be picking this up soon.

If anybody fancies going a few rounds on the PS4, my PSN ID is: Baj_Singh
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    But well, if you play in the easiest mode, you can save time though, but it's a nonsense to play in that mode. I love to play in a difficult mode to experience a solid gameplay and not a gameplay for babies.

I play on easy.. :'(
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If you are customed to play FPS, you should play in hard mode. The Commando mode in metro Last Light is great :).