Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Joopson's doing 3D Thread

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Just thought I'd make a thread where I can post my work, without needing to create whole threads for each project, while hopefully receiving more feedback than I do when posting in WAYWO.

Right now I have a few things going, so I'll post some shots.

Here is a Revolver I'm working on. Looking at Reference for function, but otherwise I'm winging it. May turn out to be a mistake, or a pretty unique gun. Not sure which yet, haha.

3PTYd3a.jpg

Another thing I'm working on is recreating this house (The Whipple House in Ipswich, Massachusetts.):
E3UCqwT.jpg

Not sure if it'll be CryEngine or UDK yet, but I suppose it doesn't matter so early on. I'm thinking about maybe doing a bit of gameplay with it; like a Haunted house style game, maybe. Lots of flickering lights and stuff, and you can open doors, and get supplies from drawers, &c.

I've made a blockout (which I'll post soon enough), and started texturing the windows modularly. I can make them any width, while maintaining the framing, and all that.

NTJdzpw.jpg

Oh, and here's some shader stuff I'm messing with for a school project.
It's geometric water. It looks pretty nice in motion.

GwxWlWc.jpg

That's it for now!
Have great days, all.

Replies

• mats effect
    Window looks really nice, like the gradual change in colour from blue to almost black as you go down it.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Gun update. Onto the low, I think.

[Maya Dx11 metal sort of material / Blinn]
    hpEyDUw.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Progress on the pistol. Just started texturing. There were some minor errors in the bake, but nothing obvious enough to matter much, I don't think.

Don't worry, there is a trigger. I just forgot to unhide it....

JdsXARm.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Calling this gun done, I think...

QiOQyhp.jpg

I'm happy with it. Though I may work on the wood a bit more.
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I'd love to see a version of that revolver with a treatment similar to this:

rm-1003b.JPG
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I fixed the wood a little, and now I think I really will call this done.

XXMPlUE.jpg

And Pixelpatron, perhaps for my next gun I could do something like that. I've always wanted to, that's for sure. Beautiful metalwork, that.

Anyway, any feedback or critique? Anything I can improve on for my next weapons, if and when I make them?
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    There doesn't appear to be a hole lot of variation in the textures. I feel like the entire texture you have here could have been achieved by two or three 512 tiling textures.

Depending on the material type your going for, This could go a thousand different ways. But anything different than "brand new" will have a good amount of variance and random damages and what not. Like This for example, Has some rusty bits. Some apparent scratches and wear, Like on the cylinder where it scraps on the frame. Has areas that are busy and high frequency, and then calmer areas where the eye can rest. Lots of random little dings and blemishes. The Metal (and even the wood, But not a great ref for wood) has a subtle rain bowing effect. It also has some brown/orange spots of rust and dirt/dust. Point being, Even tho its Gun metal grey, it will still have colors in it.

So yeah. More variation :)

here's the original un muddied up as well as my suggestions. Sorry they are so big, But its worth seeing closely.

PBUae7.jpg

Colt%20Offical%20Police.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    ^ great feedback. I agree with all points, should really give it another pass because the technicaly and visual execution looks great.
  • DWalker
    The metal between the grips has odd highlights at semi-regular intervals; I'd guess it's picking up the edges of the polygons.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Shogun3d wrote: »
    ^ great feedback. I agree with all points, should really give it another pass because the technicaly and visual execution looks great.

+1

Sorry I forgot to add as well OP. The HP and the bake look nice a clean. With the right textures and material set up, this could be a slammin piece :thumbup:
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Amazingly useful feedback, guys! I'll get to work ASAP.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Ok, trying to fix the issues. I made the damage more random, got rid of a lot of the noise and what not. Does it seem like I'm going in a good direction? I also added some rainbow colours around where the blasts would touch the metal.
    Too slight?

lwfE1I4.jpg
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I would add a lot mroe wear and tear. Larger than life in CG, else it dosnt sell.

Also, never use white to black gradients. Try get better backgrounds. Your rim light is really penetrating aswell. Try colored lights, not all white ones.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hey everyone. I'm working on a proper website. I bought a domain and everything.
    The design so far is located on dropbox here:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30185090/Mhm/Tests/index.html

Any feedback on the design is much appreciated.

I'm also working on an environment right now, which I'll post about soon; it's just not quite ready yet for critique.
  • E_Hollaway
    I would add a little more geometry in the low res of your gun, I can see some faceting happening that you could totally get rid of with more edge loops.
  • James Ordner
    I like the website, only suggestion I have is to make the background a darker color, kinda like PC's.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Thanks for the tip, E_Hollaway. It's probably too late for me to add any more resolution to the gun at this point; but I'll keep that noted for my next project, for sure.

And James, thanks for the tip. I do think the solid white is a bit too glaring- especially on some monitors, so I'll play around with that a bit. I'll admit, though, I'm a bit attached to the white background, and how clean it looks. Like I said, I'll play around with it this week a bit, and see if I can get a better colour before it goes live.

Anyway, I'm finally calling this finished. It's been sitting on my desktop incomplete for a few months. Feels good to finish it up.
    Any critique?

QCz7oZa.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Here's some stuff I've done recently. As always, critique is welcome.

Here's a desk telescope, textured two different ways:
    Pkc5rNa.jpg

Here's a cabinet I'm working on for a scene I'm close to finishing.
    ySh1rqX.jpg

From the same scene, a kitchen faucet. Done super quick. But I'm a sucker for anything shiny, so I'm posting it:
    J2dQtXR.jpg

And an unrelated ax I did in a few hours one night, for practice:
    AsHVivq.jpg
  • DWalker
    The wear pattern on the axe - in particular the lighter scratches on the darker portion of the blade - really doesn't seem right to me. I suppose they could have been caused by sloppy sharpening, but they feel too artificial. I think the model would be better off without them than as they are now. You might be better served with some subtle rust or deep scratches from heavy work.
    03042012fd-table004.jpg
    The faucet looks quite blocky in some places - notably along the neck and the outer portion of the handle. Depending on the size and placement, the viewer might not notice it. The model itself seems quite high-poly otherwise - the pipes are all very round - so it might just be a case of misapplied polygons. You could probably reduce the number of sides on the base cylinders to more than make up for extra points in the curved areas if you need to keep the count as low as possible.

The wood on the cabinet has an almost plastic feel - it doesn't seem to match the quality of the wood in the axe handle. The bit on the left seems to have an excessive bump applied to the grain. Also, the inner portions - the sides of the drawers, for example - are typically lighter and less-finished than the outerportions; they're typically unfinished or receive only a light clear coat.

On the telescope, the wood seems to be universally shiny. Darker-grain often has more of a sheen than the lighter portions.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Thanks for the fantastic feedback, DWalker. Right on all counts.

The faucet definitely has some questionably placed polygons, as you can see:
    http://i.imgur.com/Kz2BZcB.jpg

I don't really know what I was thinking at the time. It looks fine in the scene; it's only a small part of the kitchen, after all, but it's pretty sloppy.

As for the axe, well, I didn't look at reference for the scratches(famous last words),and at the time it seemed to make sense. Scratches along the path of the axe cutting through the wood, or something. But looking around at reference, it's definitely too pronounced, and too, like you said, artificial. I'll be fixing that and adding a little rust. I'm always afraid to add rust, for whatever reason, haha.

And about the cabinet, I agree, it feels plasticky. Struggling to get a good balance of spec, without it reflecting too much of the scene. I'll keep playing around with it. As for the bump of the woodgrain, it's uniform over the whole model; I only made one section (including one drawer, and one cabinet, along with the "frame). And it tends to look not bumpy enough from far away, and too bumpy when the camera is close up. Still finding that balance.
    I'll post some updates on that soon, with some shots in CryEngine.

And I'll tweak the wood on the telescope, to get the darker areas to pop a bit more.

Thanks again! Very helpful.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Ok, trying to get some of these critiques addressed.
    First on the agenda: Rust is a bitch. I've had ridiculous amounts of difficulty trying to get it to feel right, and I still don't know if I'm even close. Maybe I'm overthinking it? I'd love some tips. I don't want it to be too rusty, but I want it to have some character. I think it already looks more interesting than it did before. But I'm still not sold.

Second: I tried to lessen the unnaturalness of the scratches; basically, I blurred them slightly, and decreased their blinding contrast. I think it feels a lot better now.

SgVK9NA.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Working on this, practicing PBR a bit more.
    Trying to figure out how to make the yellow bits more interesting.
    Still working on the handle, and really, all of it. But it's coming along.

0EED9Wk.jpg

And without the lights on:

fB0aYUB.jpg
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Looking cool so far. Maybe make the yellow bits be more transparent like glass or plastic? The idea would be similar to the light shield on a curing light that dentists use.

7787-0463-ParadigmCuringLight-3M.jpg