Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Turbulence - Environment (Rollercoaster/Cargo Plane)

Hey everyone, I'm currently a UK third year Game Art Student undergoing my final major project. I'm doing an environment using the Cry SDK. It's a rollercoaster inside of a large cargo plane at a terminal. I'm currently halfway through my project (2 months remaining), and I'm looking for potential art direction (rather than obvious unwrapping errors etc). I understand there's still lots to do, but here's my work in progress thread. I'll continue to post large update pictures, meanwhile I'll be blogging smaller things here:

My FMP blog address: www.antskiltonfmp.blogspot.com

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Replies

• BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    That's a really neat idea, but how does it work? Where do the tracks go?
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Incredible! Also really trippy. There's so much stuff going on with that rollercoaster, but none of it looks too overhwelming or unreadable, nice job.
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, well the coaster goes in the rear and out the nose. I'm working on the outside environment now where I've yet to link all the tracks up together. Today I'm texturing the plane exterior so that it screams rollercoaster fun, whilst not being too bland like a generic plane. I'll also be adding some geometry like pipes as it doesn't need to be streamline.
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interior_StepsWIP.jpg

My previous steps weren't unwrapped, materials weren't set up and collision was gone. I gave up with getting the buckles fastened on them, but today I've spent the whole day remodelling and unwrapping the stairs with tilable textures from my level and now I'm happy with their polished state. I want to do the buckles and netting still, and when I contemplate exactly how I want it to look, I will do it. I have thoughts such as straps wrapped around the metal poles.
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interior_StepsWIP.jpg

My previous steps weren't unwrapped, materials weren't set up and collision was gone. I gave up with getting the buckles fastened on them, but today I've spent the whole day remodelling and unwrapping the stairs with tilable textures from my level and now I'm happy with their polished state. I want to do the buckles and netting still, and when I contemplate exactly how I want it to look, I will do it. I have thoughts such as straps wrapped around the metal poles.
  • Giacomo X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giacomo X polycounter lvl 6
    Looks OK....I have to say I REALLY had to work to figure out what was going on here--the concept of "roller coaster inside a cargo plane" wasn't clear at all (or at least not to me) from your renders. Also, how is the roller coaster supposed to work, exactly? The plane takes off and the riders slide back and forth in the body of the aircraft? It's not clear.

If it were me, I'd start by relighting the scene in a much less dramatic way so the viewer can get a sense of what they're looking at....losing those purple lights would be a good start. I'd also try to pick shots that show how the mechanics of the thing work (i.e, the cars that riders will sit in)...right now you're mostly showing generic-looking industrial hardware of uncertain use.

As always, just my two cents. Hope it is of some use.
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comments. It doesn't go back and forth it goes in the tail and out the nose. A video would really illustrate it much better than any screen grabs due to all my animation. I'll do a fly through and a playthrough after it's finished.

With regards to the lighting, I've stripped it multiple times and I the purple lights have had a lot of attention. Once again the purple confuses the composition, but in a playthrough they do quite the opposite. They also rotate and animate if that helps. That being said I'll be looking at the lighting again no doubt.

Visit my blog to see concept paints and whiteboxes if that helps.
    antskiltonfmp.blogpspot.com
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We had a level jam on Friday and it was really fun playing other people's levels and making changes to whatever we wanted. It's really helped me out too, I have a long to-do list which will keep me busy for the last month for sure. The plane needed some dramatic lights to really highlight the key feature of the project. Quick and easy too by recyling meshes and textures. As you know I've done the fences, additionally the rolling sheet metal is baked down to a plane. I've played with the lighting again, and lastly I made a radar tower which is animated. Adding life to this environment is what it's about!

Outside_Plane_Lighting.jpg
    Outside_Terminal.jpg
    Outside_Terminal2.jpg
    Radar+Tower.jpg
    Sheet_Metal_Bake.jpg
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutsideAssets_WIP.jpg
    Inside1_MidMay.jpg
    Inside2_MidMay.jpg
    Outside_Coaster.jpg

I'm currently creating small assets to polish the exterior with. I've made a bin (orange really contrasts the blue shadows in the scene), some double yellow lines (with that cracked paint look). You can see the textured roadblock in this image, and 2 variations of a sign. One for the Fast Track queue and one for no entry.

The interior hasn't changed much but here are a couple of screen grabs of what it's looks like. Lastly, I thought I'd show a shot of the coaster along the track. Still images don't compliment my level as much as my flythrough and walkthrough will once it's finished. I have yet to make my Easter egg room too, and of course polish some models and textures.
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I've now finished the project, and I'll share with you my finals shots. Thought I'd put it out there.

1.jpg

10.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg