Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Sniper - Scurvy Shot

Hey everyone!

This is my concept for sniper. I tried to base his theme off of a pirate, I figured it would go well with his attitude...and I wanted to make a treasure chest. :)

I will probably rework the chest to be more in the style of Dota 2, unless maybe it fits well enough already...hard to tell. Also, I'm not sure which direction to go with his weapon yet. So, some feedback would be really appreciated! Cheers. :D

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept001.png

Replies

• K-PAX
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    i like it . good job.
  • qassamzed
    Offline / Send Message
    qassamzed polycounter lvl 6
    dat cannon rifle so sweet :)
    and myb give him red / bluish goggles...no need classic green goggle
  • Blackcode
    Nice work. I would kill to have your painting skills. I can model pretty good but texturing it's a pain in the ass :(.
  • Gooba
    Thanks guys. :D

qassamzedd, yeah... I didn't want to really deviate from valves color pallete, but the green doesn't seem to fit. So, it will probly be a blue glass... :D

Roughed out the model, tried one of the gun designs... not sure. I will probably work out the other, just to see if its possible. Also have to get his other bracer on there.

If there is anything that you guys think should be changed concept wise?

Would you want to wear these items in the game?

Also, any other critiques would be much appreciated. :)

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept004.png

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept005.png
  • Zeepdoop
    I really like the work, it's quality work, I hope you dont mind if I quote this:
    Kardel Sharpeye was born deep in the mountainous valleys of Knollen where, since time immemorial, the folk have survived by hunting the strange, cliff-dwelling steepstalkers above their village—killing them from a distance and collecting their carcasses where they fell. Sharpeye was among the best of these strange folk for whom projectile weapons are but another appendage, and to shoot is as natural as to touch.

On his day of summoning, when he was to gain full standing in his village, Sharpeye took the ancient test: a single shot from the valley floor to strike a beast down from the cliffs. To miss was to be dishonored. With his entire village standing vigil, Sharpeye took his shot. A steepstalker fell; the crowd cheered. But when the carcass was collected, the village grew silent, for the elders found that the bullet had pierced its glittering central eye then fallen to be clenched in the steepstalker's mandibles. This ominous sign was the literal opening of a dark prophecy, foretelling both greatness and exile for the gunman who made such a shot. Sharpeye the Sniper was thus, by his own skill, condemned to make his way apart from his people—and unwelcome back among them until he has fulfilled the remainder of the prophecy by attaining legendary stature on a field of battle.

It's a DWARF from a village deep INSIDE a mountain, hunting BIRDS to survive.

How does him wearing pirate gear make sense in any way or form, at all?

Again, I really like your work, but this is just silly. It doesnt fit sniper at all. You could dress him up as a ninja/cowboy/princess and it would fit him just as much.

Please, please consider the story, no, not even the story, just WHO THE HERO IS when making items for him.
  • Gooba
    First of all, thanks for commenting. I do appreciate it. However, I have to disagree to an extant...

In his lore, it says "Sharpeye the Sniper was thus, by his own skill, condemned to make his way apart from his people—and unwelcome back among them until he has fulfilled the remainder of the prophecy by attaining legendary stature on a field of battle."
    I thought it to be quite plausible that he could at some point during his exile join up with a pirate crew... since there are other pirate themed items in Dota 2 already. So, its not like its from a strange time period or anything. Kunkka is a captain/pirate himself, maybe they fought together for a time?

I also took into account that when playing him, he is regarded as kind've a kill stealer or greedy. So, I added the treasure chest as a play on that...

Another point was just the way the hero looks. He has a beard, and his clothes are very patchy/old. I thought being a pirate fit him really well.
  • Gooba
    I was able to work on the highpoly a little bit. :D

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept006.png
  • shanks37
    well that chest is officially the closest i've ever seen to a sniper with a tp scroll.

bad sniper players joke!

seriously though, the "pirate theme" had me worried but your execution has been great so far. its not overly silly at all aside from maybe the barrel shoulderpads. i'm not so sure i'm behind you with those...
  • qassamzed
    Offline / Send Message
    yea...in his lore sniper was exile..and there is chance he join pirate to reach his prophecy ... since pirate thing exist in dota2 (kunkka) i think it still plausible

anyway this sniper concept not looks silly but cool

@gooba
    myb u can add smth to his belt on chest
    like a series of cannon ball or blackpowder bag or classic belt of bullet
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    do the contest to learn and improve your skills. this looks wicked. love both rifle concepts!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Loving the chest!
    Over all this is looking like a good idea.
  • Gooba
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Love it!

I have made up some variations based on the critiques... I am kind of limited to to his shoulders/arms area though, because anything on his chest clips into his beard and gun pretty bad.

Lemme know if you like any of them!

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept008.png

I also finished the highpoly for the treasure chest

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept007.png
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    D and F look great!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    hahah nice! So much character already! :D
  • Vindalia
    I love how much attitude the treasure chest has! If I were to make one small tweak, it would be to make the paper scroll look just a liiiittle more crushed by that heavy-looking lid. It is surprisingly un-crinkled the way it is stuffed into the chest right now. Also, what program did you use to make it?
  • Gooba
    Update! Roughed out the second gun. I'm leaning more towards the hand cannon, but I wanna see what you guys think. :D

Also, the reason the scroll isn't crushed is because the lid actually isn't resting on it. Its kinda hard to tell in the pictures, but the strap that holds the chest to his back is keeping it open... If its that visually confusing though, then I should change it anyways. Thanks!

I used 3ds max to create the base, then imported into zbrush and sculpted from there. :D

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept009.png

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept010.png
  • Filoflow
    Offline / Send Message
    Filoflow polycounter lvl 5
    I'm loving this work. The only object i dislike is the weapon A, i dont get how the handle works.

And Sniper being a pirate doesnt seem silly to me, I think it fits his play-style.
  • qassamzed
    Offline / Send Message
    nice
    i like E and F (rope & cannonball)
    A and B also fine

personally i like hand cannon than scope rifle coz it more unique
  • Filoflow
    Offline / Send Message
    Filoflow polycounter lvl 5
    BTW shouldn't the trigger be smaller? Because when you hold the gun you can't do it without pressing that trigger. Maybe I'm not understanding something :poly142:
  • DoctorRobinson
    Huge fan of F, cannonballs are so simple but if you execute it right they'll be a perfect fit. The dodo bird is nice too, although you may run into issues with polys, and it may be hard to read from an isometric view.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    cannon gun is awesome, and love the rope shoulder.
  • Gooba
    Been busy... But managed to work more on the highpoly stuff. I went with the cannon balls, might tweak them a bit still, but I like them so far.

And yeah, your right about the trigger. I will have to modify it a bit to work like the original. My bad, haha.

I will have more on the weapon soon, it's next on my list!

C&C welcome!

Dota2_scurvyshot_concept011.png
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! I'm getting flashbacks to the Demoman from TF2, hehe.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    looking good,
    and I was going to say the design that your working on
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Love the wooden armor, well sculpted!
  • cakeypigdog
    loving the treasure chest: satisfyingly chunky!
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    YOU DIDN'T FINISH IT I'M SO SAD NOW.