Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Pugna - The Skull's Avarice

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Update 16/11/2012: Finally complete! :)

-Every item in this set is fully compatible with the defaults as they do not clip
-Models have been rigging adjusted to ensure smooth animations with default joints
-Designed with the original colour palette in mind, with green crystals to emphasize Pugna's dominant colour, which makes the character stand out like never before
-Mask textures have been carefully designed according to the DOTA 2 Masks Guide in the proper RGBA channels

Steam Workshop Collection can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197992640291/myworkshopfiles/?section=collections&appid=570

q2JD5.jpg

This concept has been meticulously thought out in how Pugna could stand out better compared to the usual popular picks in the game, but also stay as close to his original lore as possible. His lore mentions how he stole the amulet and wand from the other children before laying waste to the temple. This theme emphasizes the greed (avarice) of Pugna, where the items of this set are made from the trophies and skulls of his victims. The theme also fits his kit in that he is a pusher who is able to farm creeps for gold quite well. With the riches and power of the Skull's Avarice, Pugna is the wealthiest and most extravagant hero in DOTA 2!

Update 14/11/2012: Completed item set models and textures

Update 11/11/2012: Completed Bracers colour, normal map and mask textures

Update 09/11/2012: Completed Shoulder colour, normal map and mask textures

Update 08/11/2012:
-Completed Masks and Normal Map textures of weapon
-Finished Colour and Normal Map textures of head

Update 07/11/2012: Finished colour texture of weapon

Update 03/11/2012: Created rough colour texture for weapon

Update 25/10/2012:
-completed LOD0 and LOD1 low-poly models of 6 items

Original completed low-poly models (old, final result adjusted for clipping issues):

ni3v4.jpg

Updated 23/10/2012:
-modeled, UV mapped and rigged shoulder mantle (LOD0/LOD1)

Updated 21/10/2012:
-edited and optimized low poly scepter (LOD0)
-modeled, UV mapped and rigged bracers (LOD0/LOD1)
-modeled, UV mapped and rigged crown/turban (LOD0)

Updated 18/10/2012:
-finished revised low poly scepter, UV mapped and rigged

I remember playing Pugna from DotA Allstars way back and he was quite fun to play, especially with the synergy in his kit. Seeing how there aren't many Pugna items on the workshop, I want to create an outfit that makes him a little more interesting. I had the idea of adding some jewelery or "bling" to his clothing pieces to make him stand out more and hopefully catch some more attention as a mage. Basically I want to see how "pimping" he can look especially with his set of animations, for lack of a better word. Of course this will be tailored to the fantasy and style of DotA 2. Like mentioned in his bio, I am looking to add some emeralds and amulets to suit this theme.

Priority will be placed on the Head, Shoulders, and Weapon parts, but can create a complete full body set if this idea is looking good.

Original Concept (old, final result has been adjusted due to polycount restraints):

zxAce.jpg

Head: Crown with emerald jewels and golden horns/bones cages with a central cap similar to a turban or similar headdress.
(old): A fedora with horns protruding from the sides, feather from the top

Shoulders: A battle-mage inspired mantle that exudes a deadly elegance, also with protruding bones or ribs for consistency. Armored with light shoulder plates instead of just a coat.
(old): A luxury coat with amulet and gold chains leashed around holding it in place around his neck

Weapon: Two-sided skull scepter with gold helices intertwined, also showing a kind of "horned" style.
(old) A signature wand with an emerald shard on top, decorated with golden skulls

Replies