Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Childhood - Spahr

spahr
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
spahr polycounter lvl 8
Concept:
I was coming up with some ideas today, and while I was playing with my son, we made a fort "castle" to ward off dragons, and I just loved his imagination. So since I'm old and boring, I will let him be my idea guy and will create something along with him. So maybe I guess a team of 2 :P , but Im sure his input will to put race cars, trains and outer space. Should be fun!!

I think I will attempt to blend 2 scenes together that are stark contrast of each other. A cold dark and drab bedroom, with a fort made of sheets with brilliant colors emanating from it. Inside will be a grand hall with trains, a vibrant skybox with planets(I will refrain from using Lightnight McQueen for copyright purposes). Its a loose idea right now but that's the general concept direction id like to go down. Id like to try to go realistic as it gets.

Tools:
Substance Designer
Substance Painter
Bitmap to Material
Photoshop/nDo
Maya
Zbrush

Engine:
UE4

**DISCLAIMER** I had the cursor hovering over 'Submit New Thread' and I wanted to double check this idea hasnt been taken. And I notice this is very similar to Awokens "A Kings Shed" which is a kids makeshift throne room in his parents shed. While I feel the underlying concept will be the similar, I really see a lot of differences on what we are trying to execute and I wont be going for a stylized/skewed shaped art direction. But if this is deemed too close, I will gladly submit a new concept :). Me dont want no trouble!!!

Thanks, and break a leg everyone!!!!

Cody Spahr

Replies

• spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    cBl9KoU.jpg

Okay, so we fleshed out the idea a bit. I think I want to try to do the first room as basic as possible, and really have fun with some substance and get cool grunge. And really look to last of us for lighting inspiration. I also have some ideas at how the fort will look from the outside. I found out how to do a portal effect, so if you peak through the curtains, youll see the Grand Hall, as im calling it.

The Grand hall will be centered around The Throne...AKA, a car bed. And my sons current favorite cars character Doc Hudson will be the car theme. So Ill have to come up with something cool. And we have been on some fun winter hikes lately in BC, so I think it would be cool to incorporate some wilderness. I think doing a standard opening hall, with trees and a train track centered around the great steps leading to the car bed. The colours will be very vibrant and fun, and im looking at Polar Express for rendering inspiration(plus it has trains). And of course, my son loves space, so incorporating a crazy impossible night sky as the backdrop.

I have begun blocking it out, but instead of showing that, i think ill show my first substance generated material.

y12lAWq.png

Im looking forward to doing some cloth and wall stucco, painted wood, and general room grunge. Ive only just started making substances entirely from scratch, and its very rewarding and very powerful.