Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(UE4) Ultimate Custom Master Material!!

aaronkaminer
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
aaronkaminer polycounter lvl 5
The first series in my collection is available for down load here. To preview a quick intro/demo video check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZsEzOCETBM The next series will get into a deeper understanding of the material editor. Hope this helps!

Presentation1_zps237b6e2d.jpg

You can also follow this thread in the ue4 forums:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?42883-Ultimate-Custom-Master-Material!!

I started this thread to demonstrate my new UE4 Master Material and get feed back on ideas for improvement. I am also hosting info regarding my new tutorial series here. Here are a couple of examples so far. This is a master material I created to cover most of the regular environment artist needs. There are certainly exceptions but this master can go a long way. :)

An example of vertex paint puddles. (Borrowed from my other post. UE4 Vertex Paint Puddle) Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ibwXHZL6g

puddle_zps4188864c.jpg

An example of a shiny floor material with dirt pass and vertex painted footprints.
TILEfLOOR_zps463f363e.jpg

Another cross reference example:

DIvisionPaperWallMap_zps9d290080.jpg

Replies

• gsokol
    Is your goal to create an ultimate master material that basically has all the features you would ever want to use? Thats the impression that I got.

Just worth mentioning...typically you wouldn't want to do that. You really only want the features you need in a material, otherwise you are paying for performance that you aren't using.

An "uber material" really only works when the engine is designed to support it (such as Cryengine or Unity5).
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    Is your goal to create an ultimate master material that basically has all the features you would ever want to use? Thats the impression that I got.

Just worth mentioning...typically you wouldn't want to do that. You really only want the features you need in a material, otherwise you are paying for performance that you aren't using.

An "uber material" really only works when the engine is designed to support it (such as Cryengine or Unity5).

My goal is to create a master material that can conquer a large range of different materials within ue4 via the "material instance" system that is set up within the engine. This way one material can house most of the parameters I need to make most any environment material I need to make while only costing one compilation. Most (if not all) features in the material instance editor have public static switches provided in order to kill off any instructions that are not needed for any particular material. In other words.. you could make a material as simple as a value for roughness, metal.. and a color for base... all the way to really complex materials without really costing anything.
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    You arent 'killing' the material function when using a child material and not using a parameter. When you expose a parameter, all you are doing is allowing 'change', not on and off. Even if you were to bool certain functions, its all still adds to the shader complexity.

I do agree that it can be good to make a 'master' material, and when you are making a new material, duplicate(not instance) and just cut out the fat you dont need.

I like having a bunch of standard templates I commonly use.
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr wrote: »
    You arent 'killing' the material function when using a child material and not using a parameter. When you expose a parameter, all you are doing is allowing 'change', not on and off. Even if you were to bool certain functions, its all still adds to the shader complexity.

I do agree that it can be good to make a 'master' material, and when you are making a new material, duplicate(not instance) and just cut out the fat you dont need.

I like having a bunch of standard templates I commonly use.

UE4 Definition:
    Example Usage: Static Switches can be used to remove an entire branch of a material with no runtime cost. Instances can have different values, making it possible to have a templated shader setup with no performance loss.

I use these switches to collapse entire chains of instructions thereby reducing instruction count to a minimal basic shader if needed. You can look in the material instance editor and see the reactions when you activate a switch... the instruction count goes up. I have stress tested this by creating 100's of material instances in a small scene and watching how the engine handles it. If i activate every feature of the material in every instance frame rate obviously takes a hit.. however when only using the instructions needed to achieve the desired result I get great looks, great performance, and easy materials. :)Hope this helps clear things up a bit.
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another fun one. This is a material with a little bit of opacity masking and such. I think I got pretty close on this one. The goal is not to replicate the art... but to replicate the fidelity. Once again made from a material instance of the Master Material I made in UE4. :)

DIvisionPaperWallMap_zps9d290080.jpg
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Interesting! Could you show us a bit more of the map shaders, what exactly are you doing with the opacity and how have you achieved it? Would also like to know more about the water shader :)
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone, I am starting a new HD Tutorial series on unreal engine master material content creation! I am wondering... should I create a well rounded material tutorial series that aims to help everyone learning materials?? Or simply explain the process I go through to make the master materials (assuming viewers are educated in the material editor?) This is for the viewer so let me know what you think!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Tbh having one master material for all kinds of stuff is a bit too complex. If you really want to push your shaders, then you will have to build in wayy too many switches for it to be efficient (and this is coming from a fan of big mastermaterials). I usually end up with a bunch of mastershaders when I do something.

Also makes iterating on shaders very slow in the end, when you have hundreds and hundreds of nodes and just want to add some new blending or whatever and need to integrate it into an extremely complex chain of nodes. I have seen mastershaders that basically took ten minutes to open, not really fun to work with.
  • WarrenM
    For the record, using switches is pretty efficient. If the switch is off, that entire branch is pruned. Of course, every switch creates 2 shader variations that then need to be compiled so ... as snefer said, changing that master material can become burdensome as you wait for thousands of shaders in your game to recompile.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah from a rendering perspective it can be handled quite well, but its not the workflow revelation some people think it is, you will end up loosing time managing the instances and the huge shader instead of creating a larger number of mastershaders : ) Also, not very easy to add in everything you would want without extreme bloatage.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    @Aaron - Hell yes, I would love a tutorial like that, and would pay if it's real real good!!

Edit: I'd pay regardless, the results look awesome :D
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    I would love to see an explanation of your material setups. Cant beat learning knowledge :)
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Would love to see you make a material utilizing the landscape material stuff e.g splat maps, height maps etc
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    @Goobatastic I plan to do a separate tutorial series on landscape stuff as well. :)

@Snefer Thanks for the input! It raises a good point. I will clarify a little bit. This particular master material will be designed to serve as a base for environment artists to use on most of the generic props/scene elements that you see in games. This is not the end all for materials. There are certainly instances where you will need to write new things. The goal here is to accommodate the needs of most game assets and to teach people how to make their own versions as well. This material will house basic functions including all of the primary maps needed in pbs, blend layers for making more complex texture setups, vector up system, several vertex paint layers, etc. I have found (both personally at home, and in professional studio) that this will work great for most things.. but certainly not EVERYTHING. :)
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks. Just a quick update. The first series in my material tutorial collection is online! Check it out!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hey. I want to buy the first but you never really show the end result or exactly what you're going to do.

Is the end result a material that can have the color, spec, etc controlled in engine alongside of some maps that are imported? Is it just a material function that can have the UVs controlled?

I think adding more specific techincal info to the gumroad page will help with more purchases. Right now, it seems like the word master material is supposed to sell the tutorial rather than the specifics of what you're creating. I'm not saying to give away the techniques, but let people know what this master material can do (and visual aid is helpful as well, although you probably don't want to show the shading network in depth in a preview).
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I should have added an example. I think this works really well to sell the tut without giving away anything.

Also, I think your preview is too long (I realize it's more of an intro but I think a condensed preview of what we're doing would be nice).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZlMgCwaBh0"]Materials in UDK Volume 3 (3dm Promo) - YouTube[/ame]
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Hey. I want to buy the first but you never really show the end result or exactly what you're going to do.

Is the end result a material that can have the color, spec, etc controlled in engine alongside of some maps that are imported? Is it just a material function that can have the UVs controlled?

I think adding more specific techincal info to the gumroad page will help with more purchases. Right now, it seems like the word master material is supposed to sell the tutorial rather than the specifics of what you're creating. I'm not saying to give away the techniques, but let people know what this master material can do (and visual aid is helpful as well, although you probably don't want to show the shading network in depth in a preview).

Sure thing. I will update the info today with a better description. There is a picture to show the end result and final material network. Ill share it again here.

Presentation1_zps237b6e2d.jpg

It will show all of the basics of material editing, understanding what a master material is and how to use material instances with it. I create a base color hue with a switch that activates albedo. Hue and desaturation for albedo. Values and texture switches for roughness and metalness. (I also explain what they are) Normal maps and intensity slider is created as well. FInally I create an option to use an ambient occlusion map, and also take it one step further to give ourselves the ability to overlay it on the albedo with fine control over high and low values. :) Hope this helps. Thanks for the feedback!

Here is the updates video content breakdown. :)

Here is a video breakdown:

01: New Project and Scene Setup

How to start a new first person project

How to setup a basic lighting environment for material testing. Including light mass importance volumes, sphere reflection captures, directional lights, and skylights.

Basic navigations and hotkeys for the editor.

Saving files

Baking basic lighting.

Creating folders for clean navigation in engine.

Creating Basic Blank Master Material

How to Apply Materials using Material Elements

02: Albedo Base Setup

Setup Base Color Input

Static Switch Parameters

2D Texture Parameters

Organizing with groups, comments, and descriptions.

Material Instancing

Texture saturation and hue

03: Roughness/Metalness/Normal Base Setup

Roughness Values/Maps

Metal Values/Maps

Masks

Normal Map Paramter

Normal Intensity

Clamps

Basic Math

04:Emissive Base Setup

Emissive Base Color

Emissive Power

Emissive Masking

05: AO Base Setup

AO Engine Default Setup

AO Albedo Overlay

Linear Interpolate
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

Ah! Thanks again! I will def record an intro along those lines tonight. I just wanted people to be able to see if they liked my style of teaching and stuff before committing to a purchase so I posted the first part of the series on YouTube. Major help. I will update today.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Decided to buy :D
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to buy :D

Thanks! Hope it helps!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Me too. I haven't gotten a chance to dive in, but do you want any feedback on the tutorial as well?
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    Me too. I haven't gotten a chance to dive in, but do you want any feedback on the tutorial as well?

sure! that would be great! you should have access to my personal email when you get the receipt. Id like to get tutorial feedback via email if possible. :)
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Id like to get tutorial feedback via email if possible. :)

Sounds good.
  • Nighthwk
    Im gonna get this as well. Really help me to understand PBR and master material integration better. Thanks :)