Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

First post here on polycount, have been looking around for months and after seeing all the great work here I wanted to post some of my stuff. I never had an education or anything for modeling it's just a something I picked up a lot of years ago by modding :p

Didn't wanted to make a real serious weapon so I thought up something funny, don't know if it's ever going to make it ingame but who knows..

for which character?
    did you figured out how are you going to animate that for the chosen character? because each one has different animations
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

First post here on polycount, have been looking around for months and after seeing all the great work here I wanted to post some of my stuff. I never had an education or anything for modeling it's just a something I picked up a lot of years ago by modding :p

Didn't wanted to make a real serious weapon so I thought up something funny, don't know if it's ever going to make it ingame but who knows..

for which character?
    did you figured out how are you going to animate that for the chosen character? each one has different animations, you need to get that in mind
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    for which character?
    did you figured out how are you going to animate that for the chosen character? because each one has different animations

To be honost I haven't figured out anything yet, I did watch at the characters and to be honost I don't believe it will fit any of those. The model might be more for TF2 :p

After seeing the great things here I just started modeling :)
    I better think some more about what I really want with it.
  • tfmcmahon
    Hey guys, I just posted an armor set for Drow to the workshop

ccv08.jpg

Here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=83659090&searchtext=
  • Handelskogge
    Do you think this model is savable?

VYv85.png

Unwrapped and put together some test textures (basic diffuse w/no shaders, white parts untextured). Do you think this model is savable? I'm happy with having learned the process fairly well, but would rather move on if I can't make this meet workshop quality. I'm at 450 tris, so I should have some detail to spare on the claws coming out of the frame.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, im having some difficulties with the texture

can someone help me with some information?

when compiling the smd file to the .mdl,.vtx and .vvd we use the .qc file to address everything for the compiler, we also address the textures right?

im with my textures on the right path, i did the vmt and vtf files but i cant get the textures to work on the SFM

where is saved the path to the textures after compiling?

any ideas where im doing wrong?

this is my .qc file
    // The first part of a .qc is always the name of the model you want to create, and where you want it created relative to your game\dota\models\ directory
    $modelname "courier\sillydragon\sillydragon.mdl"

// This will add the contents of a separate file called "sillydragon_hitbox.qci" to the compile process.  Theres info on how to create a hitbox.qci on the dev wiki

//$include sillydragon_hitbox.qci

// These are the 3 required attachments for a courier.  In this case, you should replace "courier_root" with the name of an appropriate bone from your skeleton

//$attachment "attach_eye_l" "courier_root" 50.00 -23.00 -17.00 rotate 0 0 -90
    //$attachment "attach_eye_r" "courier_root" 50.00 -23.00 17.00 rotate 0 0 -90
    //$attachment "attach_hitloc" "courier_root" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate -0 0 0

// A uniform scale of your model.  It's best to try and get it right with your content, but you can use this to adjust if necessary
    $scale 1.0

// $model defines an element of gemetry.  Retarget this to your couriers "_model" smd.
    $model "courier" "sillydragon.smd"

// Pose parameters give access to some piece of defined animation to the code.  In this case, we will use it to let the code influence the couriers pose when they change direction

//$poseparameter turn -1.00 1.00

// This is the location of your models materials. It is relative to your game\dota\materials\ directory.
    $cdmaterials "models\courier\sillydragon"
    $surfaceprop "default"

// Below is a list of all the animations included for this courier.
    // Some are a little more complex than others.
    // The parts labeled "event" are queues for audio.  In the run example, it is playing the footstep sound on frames 2,8,10 and 16. simply remove the events if you require no sound

$sequence courier_idle "sillydragon_idle.smd" loop ACT_DOTA_IDLE 1
    //$sequence courier_idle_rare "courier_idle_rare.smd" loop ACT_DOTA_IDLE_RARE 1
    //$sequence courier_spawn "courier_spawn.smd" ACT_DOTA_SPAWN 1
    //$sequence courier_death "courier_death.smd" ACT_DOTA_DIE 1 {
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 29 "Courier.Impact" }
    //}

//$sequence courier_run "courier_run.smd" loop addlayer "courier_turns" ACT_DOTA_RUN 1 {
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 2 "Courier.Footsteps" }
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 8 "Courier.Footsteps" }
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 10 "Courier.Footsteps" }
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 16 "Courier.Footsteps" }
    //}

// Below is the definition of the turn layer.
    // First we start by creating 3 poses
    // The 3 "animations" (center, left, right) are actually just single frame poses.  Center is usually the 0 frame of the run animation, left and right are poses based on the 'center' frame to give the illusion of a left or right turn.
    // 'subtract' is defining each animation as the difference in pose between itself and the center pose

//$sequence courier_turn_center "courier_turn_center.smd" subtract courier_turn_center 0
    //$sequence courier_turn_left "courier_turn_left.smd" subtract courier_turn_center 0
    //$sequence courier_turn_right "courier_turn_right.smd" subtract courier_turn_center 0

// The turn is comprised of the 3 poses we defined above all connected together.  
    // 'blendwidth' tells the sequence it is a combination of the 3 specified animations
    // 'blend' tells it which pose parameter to label it as, in this case "turn"
    // 'delta' signifies to the engine that this sequence is an additive layer, rather than completely stomping whatever animation it is added to.

//$sequence courier_turns {
    //  courier_turn_left courier_turn_center courier_turn_right
    //  blendwidth 3
    //  blend turn -1.000000 1.000000
    //  delta
    //}

• crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys, im having some difficulties with the texture

can someone help me with some information?

when compiling the smd file to the .mdl,.vtx and .vvd we use the .qc file to address everything for the compiler, we also address the textures right?

im with my textures on the right path, i did the vmt and vtf files but i cant get the textures to work on the SFM

where is saved the path to the textures after compiling?

any ideas where im doing wrong?

this is my .qc file
    // The first part of a .qc is always the name of the model you want to create, and where you want it created relative to your game\dota\models\ directory
    $modelname "courier\sillydragon\sillydragon.mdl"

// This will add the contents of a separate file called "sillydragon_hitbox.qci" to the compile process.  Theres info on how to create a hitbox.qci on the dev wiki

//$include sillydragon_hitbox.qci

// These are the 3 required attachments for a courier.  In this case, you should replace "courier_root" with the name of an appropriate bone from your skeleton

//$attachment "attach_eye_l" "courier_root" 50.00 -23.00 -17.00 rotate 0 0 -90
    //$attachment "attach_eye_r" "courier_root" 50.00 -23.00 17.00 rotate 0 0 -90
    //$attachment "attach_hitloc" "courier_root" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate -0 0 0

// A uniform scale of your model.  It's best to try and get it right with your content, but you can use this to adjust if necessary
    $scale 1.0

// $model defines an element of gemetry.  Retarget this to your couriers "_model" smd.
    $model "courier" "sillydragon.smd"

// Pose parameters give access to some piece of defined animation to the code.  In this case, we will use it to let the code influence the couriers pose when they change direction

//$poseparameter turn -1.00 1.00

// This is the location of your models materials. It is relative to your game\dota\materials\ directory.
    $cdmaterials "models\courier\sillydragon"
    $surfaceprop "default"

// Below is a list of all the animations included for this courier.
    // Some are a little more complex than others.
    // The parts labeled "event" are queues for audio.  In the run example, it is playing the footstep sound on frames 2,8,10 and 16. simply remove the events if you require no sound

$sequence courier_idle "sillydragon_idle.smd" loop ACT_DOTA_IDLE 1
    //$sequence courier_idle_rare "courier_idle_rare.smd" loop ACT_DOTA_IDLE_RARE 1
    //$sequence courier_spawn "courier_spawn.smd" ACT_DOTA_SPAWN 1
    //$sequence courier_death "courier_death.smd" ACT_DOTA_DIE 1 {
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 29 "Courier.Impact" }
    //}

//$sequence courier_run "courier_run.smd" loop addlayer "courier_turns" ACT_DOTA_RUN 1 {
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 2 "Courier.Footsteps" }
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 8 "Courier.Footsteps" }
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 10 "Courier.Footsteps" }
    //  { event AE_CL_PLAYSOUND 16 "Courier.Footsteps" }
    //}

// Below is the definition of the turn layer.
    // First we start by creating 3 poses
    // The 3 "animations" (center, left, right) are actually just single frame poses.  Center is usually the 0 frame of the run animation, left and right are poses based on the 'center' frame to give the illusion of a left or right turn.
    // 'subtract' is defining each animation as the difference in pose between itself and the center pose

//$sequence courier_turn_center "courier_turn_center.smd" subtract courier_turn_center 0
    //$sequence courier_turn_left "courier_turn_left.smd" subtract courier_turn_center 0
    //$sequence courier_turn_right "courier_turn_right.smd" subtract courier_turn_center 0

// The turn is comprised of the 3 poses we defined above all connected together.  
    // 'blendwidth' tells the sequence it is a combination of the 3 specified animations
    // 'blend' tells it which pose parameter to label it as, in this case "turn"
    // 'delta' signifies to the engine that this sequence is an additive layer, rather than completely stomping whatever animation it is added to.

//$sequence courier_turns {
    //  courier_turn_left courier_turn_center courier_turn_right
    //  blendwidth 3
    //  blend turn -1.000000 1.000000
    //  delta
    //}

Try to open your .SMD file in txt format, there should be something like
    triangles
    models/heroes/dragon_knight/dragon_wp_color.tga
      2 -41.999104 36.635361 -31.957273 -0.473662 -0.588266 0.655430 0.649300 0.151600 1 1 1.000000
      2 -35.374077 25.845049 -39.566998 0.370728 -0.839050 -0.398190 0.806100 0.011700 1 1 1.000000
      2 -33.216930 39.664230 -27.032358 0.811540 -0.003103 0.584289 0.454200 0.108100 1 1 1.000000
    models/heroes/dragon_knight/dragon_wp_color.tga
      2 -48.617889 37.886482 -39.579811 -0.748727 -0.135459 -0.648890 0.825900 0.205600 1 1 1.000000
      2 -35.374077 25.845049 -39.566998 0.370728 -0.839050 -0.398190 0.806100 0.011700 1 1 1.000000
      2 -41.999104 36.635361 -31.957273 -0.473662 -0.588266 0.655430 0.649300 0.151600 1 1 1.000000

if you write path in $cdmaterials then your .VMP file should be named as your assigned texture in .SMD (dragon_wp_color.tga - in my case)

Or you can just leave $cdmaterials "" - empty, and add the whole path into .SMD (as I did, just use some code editor like notepad ++ to add your whole path leading to your .VMT file - worked for me :D)

just open some decompiled model from dota in TXT format to understand how it works

sZeeP.jpg
    As I understand
  • Okoo
    Hi,
    Sry for this guys but, im beginner in 3d modeling and i have stupid questions for you :

Once you have finished your 3D model + UVW, how do you import your UVW in photoshop?!

Imo, i need a file converter, no?

i saw that you can save your UVW in a .uvw file, do you need your .obj or your .uvw file?

Sry but yes, i searched on google but cant found a correct answer and my english is not really perfect x) so it's not easy for me.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Okoo wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sry for this guys but, im beginner in 3d modeling and i have stupid questions for you :

Once you have finished your 3D model + UVW, how do you import your UVW in photoshop?!

Imo, i need a file converter, no?

i saw that you can save your UVW in a .uvw file, do you need your .obj or your .uvw file?

Sry but yes, i searched on google but cant found a correct answer and my english is not really perfect x) so it's not easy for me.

Are you using Max? If so, in the UVW editor go to Tools, Render UVW Template. Then save that file.
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Just made this last night, click any image to view the workshop page :)

BloodLetter_Icon.jpg
    thumb2.jpg
    856E7AAA1D504C6EAEDAB073C760C7D4D85AF9C5
    285BAF55CD40C69CA72725EE32213A04315C6750
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »

just open some decompiled model from dota in TXT format to understand how it works

sZeeP.jpg
    As I understand

YOU ARE THE MAN!

i did a little different but your suggestion of opening the smd on notepad ++ gave the clue to what was missing

i wasnt setting a material to the model on maya, and it never wrote the texture on the smd

i cant believe that worked, i passed the day frustrated trying to fix that

yay!
  • Nubleet
    Anyone able to help me?
    Everytime i use GUIStudioMDL to compile everything i just get the message
    Created command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\nitronic\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\studiomdl.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm_base" -nop4 -nox360 "C:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop\Models\Axe\Raw Test\Raw Test\Raw Test\Axetest.qc"
    Never had this problem before so not sure whats going on? :poly118:
  • Okoo
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Are you using Max? If so, in the UVW editor go to Tools, Render UVW Template. Then save that file.
    yep i use 3ds max, im gonna try thx :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Nubleet wrote: »
    Anyone able to help me?
    Everytime i use GUIStudioMDL to compile everything i just get the message
    Created command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\nitronic\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\studiomdl.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm_base" -nop4 -nox360 "C:\Users\Nicholas\Desktop\Models\Axe\Raw Test\Raw Test\Raw Test\Axetest.qc"
    Never had this problem before so not sure whats going on? :poly118:

Nubleet, i used the sdk from source film maker and made the things a little easier, i wasnt able to get all the things working with alien swarm
  • Nubleet
    Nubleet, i used the sdk from source film maker and made the things a little easier, i wasnt able to get all the things working with alien swarm
    Ok thanks ill give that ago, been having quite afew problems with alien swarm aswell.
  • Nubleet
    Quick Question,
    Which model would you all prefer for a beastmaster axe? Personally im leaning towards Model A.
    Model A

E5amJ.png

Model B

CQd8i.png

Thanks in advance :poly136:
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks ill give that ago, been having quite afew problems with alien swarm aswell.

i dont remember the tutorial i followed, i tried a lot of them, but i used maya and the plugins that comes with the sdk

on the folder "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\sdktools\maya" there is a file called runmaya.bat

if you use maya 2012 (need to be 32, dont work with 64) you make a shortcut calling this file with 2012 at the end ("runmaya.bat 2012")(on the script it calls the version you wrote)

it will launch your maya with the plugins finally working, maybe you will need to load them in the plugin manager but they will work

dont forget to create a material for you model and link the .vtf texture to it, so the export plugin can write the texture informations on the smd file
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Question,
    Which model would you all prefer for a beastmaster axe? Personally im leaning towards Model A.

Thanks in advance :poly136:

A appears a little fragile for me, baybe you could use just one hole

and you could make it not symetrical, its a little strange something that organic and symetric
  • Nubleet
    A appears a little fragile for me, baybe you could use just one hole

and you could make it not symetrical, its a little strange something that organic and symetric

Hmm i can see what you mean by symmetrical, guess ill work on that will post an update later.
  • crazyone
  • Nubleet
    Ok, here's my attempt at making the axe not so symmetrical and more sturdy looking.
    Not quite sure if i like it yet though.

d6jiS.png

Opinion's? :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazyone - awesome idea, at first i was thinking if it was possible but i rememberer that i have spikes for the back of tidehunter

i dont know if its because the render you used but i can see the where the transparent texture starts, did you got the original one to try to mimic the mask_1 and mask_2 on the borders of yours?

@nubleet - i think its a lot better now
    i think it need something visual to explain how the blade is attached
    the blade is stone made or somthing alike?
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazyone - awesome idea, at first i was thinking if it was possible but i rememberer that i have spikes for the back of tidehunter

i dont know if its because the render you used but i can see the where the transparent texture starts, did you got the original one to try to mimic the mask_1 and mask_2 on the borders of yours?

I tried to combine mask2 and color texture in photoshop to get something similar to actual ingame texture ,then just made a little bump on his back and cut the wounds, after that I tried to color it exactly as his stripes on the back , if you properly connect it to the bones of tidehunter , there won't be a problem , I think :D

but I asked valve how to combine masks to get something similar to ingame texture , because right now it isn't right , and my wounds won't fit in)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    any ideia why i cant see my normalmap working?

i changed the color texture to a flat gray

normal-map-issue.jpg

and this is my .vtm
    VertexLitGeneric
    {
    $baseTexture "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_null.vtf"
    $normalmap "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_normal.vtf"
    }

another question, is possible to use a twosided material?

thanks
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to combine mask2 and color texture in photoshop to get something similar to actual ingame texture ,then just made a little bump on his back and cut the wounds, after that I tried to color it exactly as his stripes on the back , if you properly connect it to the bones of tidehunter , there won't be a problem , I think :D

but I asked valve how to combine masks to get something similar to ingame texture , because right now it isn't right , and my wounds won't fit in)

how you asked valve? they have a place for that?
  • Archimedes
    Source does not support two sided materials, sorry.

EDIT: I was corrected further down this page, Source does in fact support two-sided materials, but they do not want you using them for Dota2.
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    ux9MT.jpg
    I think you need to activate this , check what options original textures have

and : Please note that Dota 2 does not support double-sided materials; you will need to create geometry where a backside is needed. :(

written here : http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    how you asked valve? they have a place for that?

I've added wounds for tidehunter into workshop and there are 2 collumns of comments , 1: for users 2: for valve
  • Nubleet
    @nubleet - i think its a lot better now
    i think it need something visual to explain how the blade is attached
    the blade is stone made or somthing alike?

Yes axe is made of stone. Hmm not sure how its connected guess ill have to think something up.
  • lancemaker
    Hi ! i was having lots of trouble using the alien swarm, and since i dont have the CS:go i had this idea. why not use the source Filmmaker to view the models ? So i googled it and found this awsome tutorial : http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/07/dota-2-sfm-tutorial/#source-filmmaker-tutorial i belive someone have already posted the link to this blog, but this tutorial is new. And will solve most of the problems most of us are having with visualisations.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to activate this , check what options original textures have

forget that one but even with that i cant see the normalmap

i tested with the mighty boar model, with the same flat color and he too dont show the normalmap...

testes on the model viewer and in the source film maker

that is confusing...

normal-map-issue_02.jpg
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    and this is my .vtm
    VertexLitGeneric
    {
    $baseTexture "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_null.vtf"
    $normalmap "models/courier/sillydragon/sillydragon_normal.vtf"
    }

One thing is you don't need the .vtf on the end. I don't think source like that much. So Try without it first. Also, in dota 2, they use the CustomHero shader. Other than that, I can't really see what's wrong with your VMT :/
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    last question (i hope)

i make two different files with lod0 and lod1 or put on the same file both meshes?

on the donkey zip there isnt the lod0, just lod1, but on the same maya file they have a 6.7k tris model that could be the lod0 but its not named like that...

how i compile the lod1 and lod0? whats the configuration of the .qc file for that?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Source does not support two sided materials, sorry.

Source 100% supports two sided materials. They just don't want you using them for Dota2 for optimization reasons I would think.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    About done with a skin set for Tiny.

arcane_tiny_01.jpg

Uploaded it to the workshop. Here's the link.
  • Archimedes
    Source 100% supports two sided materials. They just don't want you using them for Dota2 for optimization reasons I would think.

My bad, When i read about how not to use the two-sided materials in Dota, i must have assumed it went the same for all source games.
  • lancemaker
    im not completly shure about what im saying but acording with this blog :
    http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/

we dont even need to compile it.

and it might be true with this other info from http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements?l=portuguese :

General Submission Requirements
    For geometry source content, we accept .MA or .OBJ
    For texture source content, use .PSD or .TGA

So, the only motive i can see for you to do it, is to visualize your model inside the game engine. But again, its not a rule to compile the models.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah, but he's trying see see what his model looks like compiled in the engine. Was just an idea anyway, no idea if it'll help.
    how i compile the lod1 and lod0? whats the configuration of the .qc file for that?

You need to save two different .smd's, one for each lod. Then you need to add this to your .qc file:
    $lod 1
    {
    replacemodel "item.smd" "item_lod1.smd"
    }

• Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    lancemaker wrote: »
    im not completly shure about what im saying but acording with this blog :
    http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/

we dont even need to compile it.

and it might be true with this other info from http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements?l=portuguese :

General Submission Requirements
    For geometry source content, we accept .MA or .OBJ
    For texture source content, use .PSD or .TGA

So, the only motive i can see for you to do it, is to visualize your model inside the game engine. But again, its not a rule to compile the models.

that makes me confuse
    this is in the npc requirements guide
    In order to help keep things organized, please maintain our file structure:
    Model source content resides in \content\dota\models\courier\courier_name\maya\
    Animation source content resides in \content\dota\models\courier\courier_name\maya\animation\
    Exported model content resides in \content\dota\models\courier\courier_name\smd\
    Exported model content resides in \content\dota\models\courier\courier_name\smd\animation\
    Compiled model binaries belong in \game\dota\models\courier\courier_name\
    Material source content resides in \content\dota\materialsrc\models\courier_name\
    Compiled material binaries and .vmt belong in \game\dota\materials\models\courier\courier_name\ and should be named the same as the model

it asks for files on a folder called smd and asks for compiled textures...
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    Yeah, but he's trying see see what his model looks like compiled in the engine. Was just an idea anyway, no idea if it'll help.

You need to save two different .smd's, one for each lod. Then you need to add this to your .qc file:
    $lod 1
    {
    replacemodel "item.smd" "item_lod1.smd"
    }

awesome, i tested and its working the lod

thanks
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm working on a set for Lanaya...but I'm not really sure where I'm going with this.
    14.jpg
    15.jpg

I want to know what you guys think...I'm not sure if it's interesting enough to continue with it.
  • Tomm
    @Eleryn
    Shoulders seems to be a bit thick and bracers could be bigger maybe.. dunno what it looks like from dota view. Also throw in something to break that symmetrical look.. maybe make one side of shoulders different or give her a nice scarf around neck.. but it looks good so far, definitely fits her.

And what's that spike coming out of her tummy? :poly122:

been working on a headdress for ursa.

11wip.jpg
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Bear within a bear? I like it. it looks really cool too...the concern I have is how distinguishable it'll be when finished. The structure is almost the same as his head, the texture will have to be different enough so it looks like he's actually wearing a headdress and his model isn't just duplicating itself :D

That spike coming out of her tummy is just a bone. Not sure if the decompiler messed with it, or that's just how it is :D
    And what do you mean the shoulders are a bit thick? As in, width, or their vertical thickness?

Also, has anyone had experience with cloth in dota 2? I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep the cape or not...I'm not very experienced with rigging, this is going to be very interesting for me, and I have no idea if I'm going to be able to tackle the cape.
  • Tomm
    I mean it should cover a little more of her body, but that's just my opinion

That headdress was supposed to be a wolf :D

Never tried to experiment with dota 2 cloth, would be nice to have more info on that.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Wolf, hey?...Well...Yeah. It could be a bear too...maybe? I still think it could look a bit different, but textures could do that really well. I can't wait to see it!
  • kragniz
    About done with a skin set for Tiny.

arcane_tiny_01.jpg

Uploaded it to the workshop. Here's the link.

How did you implement this? Is it just a new texture?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    kragniz wrote: »
    How did you implement this? Is it just a new texture?

Yeah, it's just a reskin like the Ice Elemental Infusion.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Alright, last ditch effort: Here's my entire compiling process step by step. Please tell me where I'm fucking up.

I have my Maya project at "G: \Personal\Dota2\DragonKnight" which I'll abbreviate as "PROJECT".
    I have Dota 2 installed at "C: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota" which I'll abbreviate as "DOTA"

1) Open up a new scene and import the .objs for my two LoDs for my helmet so I have a clean scene.

2) I assign a PhongE shader to both with a texture file that points to "PROJECT/materialsrc/helmet_gladiator_color.tga"

3) I make a new layer called "reference" and in the membership editor add my lod0 mesh and its shape node to the layer.

4) I open Prall's SMD exporter, with the settings:
    PrallSettings.gif

5) I hit "Full Compile"

6) I repeat steps 3) through 5) for the lod1 mesh naming it "helmet_gladiator_lod1"

7) I open up the freshly generated CQ file ("PROJECT/model_sources/helmet_gladiator_lod0.cq") and edit it to look like this:
    $modelname "items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_lod0.mdl"
    $cdmaterials "models/items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_color"
    $model "default" "helmet_gladiator_lod0.smd"

$scale 1.00
    $staticprop
    $surfaceprop "default"

$lod 1
    {
    replacemodel "helmet_gladiator_lod0.smd" "helmet_gladiator_lod1.smd"
    }

$sequence idle "helmet_gladiator_lod0_idle" loop fps 1

$collisionmodel "helmet_gladiator_lod1.smd" {
    	$concave
    	$mass 100.000
    }

8 ) I open up my *_color, *_normal, *_mask1 and *_mask2 PSD files and downsize them to 256x256 from 1024x1024, then save them as .TGAs and .VTFs with these settings: (Eight Bit Alpha is the only checked Flag)
    VTFsettings.jpg

9) I grab the .VMT of the original helm for Dragon Knight renaming it to "helmet_gladiator_color" and edit it to look like this:
    CustomHero
    {
    $baseTexture "models/items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_color"
    $normalmap "models/items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_normal"
    $maskmap2 "models/items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_mask2"
    $maskmap1 "models/items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_mask1"
    $nocull 1
    $IgnoreBudgetCheck 1
    $FRESNELWARP "models/heroes/dragon_knight/knight_fresnelranges"

$SPECULAREXPONENT 11
    $SPECULARSCALE 5

$RIMLIGHTSCALE 1

$cloakPassEnabled 1
    Proxies
    {
    invis_proxy
    {
    }
    status_proxy
    {
    }
    }
    }

10) I grab my *_color, *_normal, *_mask1 and *_mask2 .VTFs and drop them into "DOTA/materials/models/items/dragon_knight/"

11) I grab the files Prall's exporter spat out (including the .qc file) and throw them into "DOTA/models/items/dragon_knight"

12) I open up StudioCompiler with these settings:
    StudioCompiler.jpg

13) I hit "compile" and get this text dump:
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/alien swarm/bin/studiomdl.exe -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\dragon_knight\helmet_gladiator_lod0.qc"
    WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
    qdir:    "c:\program files 
    (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\dragon_knight\"
    gamedir: 
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\"
    g_path:  "C:\Program 
    Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\dragon_knight\helmet_gladiator_lod0.qc"
    Building 
    binary model files...
    Working on "helmet_gladiator_lod0.qc"
    SMD MODEL helmet_gladiator_lod0.smd
    SMD 
    MODEL helmet_gladiator_lod1.smd
    SMD MODEL helmet_gladiator_lod0_idle.smd
    Processing 
    LOD for material: helmet_gladiator_color
    Lod 1: vertexes: 455 (43 new)
    Model has 
    1 convex sub-parts
    Collision model completed.
    ---------------------
    writing C:\Program 
    Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models/items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_lod0.mdl:
    bones 
             964 bytes (1)
       animation       x       y       ips    angle
    animations 
        112 bytes (1 anims) (1 frames) [0:01]
    sequences      220 bytes (1 seq) 
    ik/pose 
           164 bytes
    eyeballs         0 bytes (0 eyeballs)
    flexes           0 bytes (0 
    flexes)
    textures        72 bytes
    keyvalues        0 bytes
    bone transforms        
    0 bytes
    bone flex driver       0 bytes
    Collision model volume 9213.95 in^3
    collision 
           0 bytes
    total         1800
    ---------------------
    writing C:\Program Files 
    (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models/items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_lod0.vvd:
    vertices 
        21840 bytes (455 vertices)
    tangents      7280 bytes (455 vertices)
    total     
       29184 bytes
    ---------------------
    Generating optimized mesh "C:\Program Files 
    (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models/items/dragon_knight/helmet_gladiator_lod0.dx90.vtx":
    body 
    parts:         8 bytes
    models:            32 bytes
    model LODs:        24 bytes
    meshes: 
               18 bytes
    strip groups:      66 bytes
    strips:            70 bytes
    verts: 
              6525 bytes
    indices:         7080 bytes
    bone changes:      32 bytes
    everything: 
        13867 bytes

Completed "helmet_gladiator_lod0.qc"

StudioMDL Thread complete

14) I open up Dota2 and get this from the test tool:
    IngamePreview.jpg

I apologize for the fricking giant post but this has been driving me insane and no matter what I try, I can't get it to work :(
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    ZzgWC.png

Been a while since I've posted anything on Polycount but I'm currently making two items for Bounty Hunter :)