Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Max Wood

null
Offline / Send Message
maxwood null
Hi all,

I thought I'd start a sketchbook with the idea that it might force me to finish this project! Partly to keep a journal for myself but all crit is welcome.

The scene I'm developing will be eventually turned into an Unreal scene but for now I'm just developing the assets.

The setting is a home office of a wealthy male individual, furnished in an antique styling. The year is approximately 2050 and the time of day is still yet to be decided.

Asset 01 WIP - Desk

AfzVEsv.jpg

Replies

• maxwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxwood null
    #Update 01 - We have an update!

Room layout/basic modelling.

LtoGyeh.jpg
  • maxwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxwood null
    #Update 02

Added a few basic colours to get some ideas. Remade the windows but I'm still not sure about them - I think 3 might be more pleasing to look at.

Mostly I'm wondering how much detail to add to the models, it's a small compact scene and I hate unwrapping so I'm planning to avoid it so that means normal maps are out of the question. I'll use a few tileable dirt/grunge maps here and there to give it the detail it needs.

g8VXIos.jpg
  • maxwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxwood null
    #Update 03 - Unreal!

Finally started tinkering with Unreal. It's actually quite enjoyable, I never thought I'd like it as much as Unity but it's not as complex as I remember in UE3 and the results are certainly decent for the time spent.

First image is how it looked yesterday and the second image is how it looked by the end of today.

Still lots to learn but Unreal sure is powerful!

bbmHNSR.jpg

g7oEEM4.png

Time of day is late evening, street lamps and moon light are illuminating the room with some small internal lights.
  • maxwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxwood null
    #Update 04 - Lighting amends.

Quite liked the lighting effect on the ceiling but it was giving me some issues, uncalibrated monitors also make for bad lighting!

0gZNDNu.jpg
  • maxwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxwood null
    1QKLO2h.jpg

This. Damn. Chair.

I mean, I've been working professionally (if you can call it that) as an artist for 3 years now but I've spent an embarrassing amount of time even getting it roughly modelled.

Still needs arms, legs modelling properly and detailing a bit more. Fun times.
  • Michi Doan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxwood wrote: »
    #Update 03 - Unreal!

g7oEEM4.png

Time of day is late evening, street lamps and moon light are illuminating the room with some small internal lights.

I really like this one :D Although I think you could enhance the light intensity a bit more? You have really nice work overall :)
  • maxwood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxwood null
    Michi Doan wrote: »
    I really like this one :D Although I think you could enhance the light intensity a bit more? You have really nice work overall :)

Hello! :)

Thank you for your comments. I'm still playing with the lighting it's quite difficult to gauge what it would be like to play. Dark games aren't fun to play, especially when you're in a brightly lit room!

The chair is finally complete for now.

haWwGwx.jpg