Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: mariek

mariek
vertex
Offline / Send Message
mariek vertex
So finally taking the scary step of posting my own stuff here after lurking about on the forum for a while. So much talent in here it's easy to doubt yourself!

At the moment I'm trying to improve my skills by simply going back to the basics with a lot of studies in anatomy and color/lighting. This thread will probably mostly be about anatomy studies and characters i´m working on, but we´ll see. And of course feedback is always welcome! It's so easy to become blind to certain things in your own work after a while.

I'll start this thread of with a character I'm working on, it's Data from The Goonies. :) Working on the textures at the moment, trying out PBR for the first time. Lots of just trial and error my way forward seeing what works and what doesn't.

tumblr_nlme7czrrb1r7zn8fo2_1280.png

tumblr_nlme7czrrb1r7zn8fo1_1280.png

Replies

• mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    throwing in a quick head study from this weekend, used Michael Gambon as reference and couldn't resist making it into dumbledore in the end :). Think I'll keep working on this for a bit longer than my usual head studies.
    tumblr_nlme9qoUPc1r7zn8fo1_1280.png
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    Been fixing a bit here and there on this anatomy study from last week, mostly felt like i needed to sort out the shoulder part a bit, but think I will leave this one for now and start a new one for this week. Focus was the body so face,hands & feet are pretty rough.tumblr_nloriuMOLX1r7zn8fo1_1280.png
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    Progress shot of this weeks anatomy study. Can see I need to go back adjust some of the silhoutte that's gotten lost on the way. But now, of to bed!
    tumblr_nlu9biAEXd1r7zn8fo1_1280.png
  • justjake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    justjake polycounter lvl 11
    Dunno if it's just me but the images aren't showing?
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    What, oh no, that's a shame if the pictures aren't showing like they're supposed to. :thumbdown: don't know what might be wrong but will have to look into that first thing tomorrow!

Well, I guess I'll post this one for now even though it might be no one sees it. haha. here's some progress from tonight on the anatomy study, fixed the pose and proportions a bit.
    tumblr_nlw8hbxhi81r7zn8fo1_1280.png
  • Royzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek wrote: »
    What, oh no, that's a shame if the pictures aren't showing like they're supposed to. :thumbdown: don't know what might be wrong but will have to look into that first thing tomorrow!

Not sure if you fixed the issue, but I can see the images.

Love that female study, the subtleties of her back are great.
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    Nice! Must have been some temporary problem or so, never changed anything since it seemed to work for the people i asked to check for me.

And thanks! actually those subtleties is the thing i feel is one of the trickiest things with anatomy, to make it feel like there are tissue/fat/skin covering and the muscles working underneath. So, nice to hear all the struggles with that is at least starting to pay off. :)
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    Spent most of the weekend working on a character that's been in my head for a while now. But made some progress on this guy plus some head studies.
    tumblr_nlztrlBXhm1r7zn8fo1_1280.png

tumblr_nlztrz5cBF1r7zn8fo1_1280.png
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    Two quick head studies from from the last couple of nights. Am definitely looking forward to some days off over Easter to spend sculpting!
    tumblr_nm55dgVjMZ1r7zn8fo1_1280.png

Alsooo, a quick one from the character I've started blocking out. Still in a pretty early state on this one, just throwing things on and seeing whats work :) Made lots of Native American units at work a while ago which was a lot of fun, and I kind of fell in love with the Mi'kmaqs quirky hats and ornate clothes, so the idea of making a character inspired by the Mi'kmaqs been growing since then and felt like it was time to get out into a block out!

tumblr_nm5bit38U51r7zn8fo1_1280.png
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Sweet yo! Welcome to ze forum!
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    I don't know where the weeks after eastern have gone, only I haven't really done much anatomy sculpting worth showing. Just quick and dirty sculpts with focus on differences in proportions between individuals. long legs/fat/short/Long torso/old/young and so on. Ugly as hell but i hope I learned something while making them at least :)
    Managed to squeeze out these two head studies though:
    tumblr_nnl05xk6hy1r7zn8fo1_1280.png

And inbetween all the anatomy I've worked on this guy; a really lousy ornitologist. Am so looking forward to get to give these little guys some polypaint!
    tumblr_nnl1ax6knY1r7zn8fo1_r1_1280.png
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    just a small update from last week; yees, another head! also started to put some paint on my ornitologist.

tumblr_no7e7kZx081r7zn8fo1_1280.png

tumblr_no7e6pYYfn1r7zn8fo1_1280.png

aaand, last but not least I'm watching a lot of Columbo while sculpting at the moment and couldn't resist making a sculpt of him. :) Just finished posing him so will start refining the sculpt a bit next time. My plan is to really try to keep the forms pretty clean and simple on this one.

tumblr_no7e74bpBt1r7zn8fo1_1280.jpg
  • mariek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariek vertex
    So I had a very hectic week a couple of weeks back where I had to get some of my stuff as finsihed as I possibly could. So after a week working round the clock I was pretty pumped out and took a well deserved pause from the computer screen.
    some of the stuff i worked on during that hectic week:
    tumblr_nohum1JJes1uvlnzno4_r1_1280.png

tumblr_nohum1JJes1uvlnzno5_r3_1280.png

tumblr_nohum1JJes1uvlnzno8_r1_1280.png

But in between all that I've at least managed to get some quick anatomy sculpts done, these are real quick and dirty, just felt I needed to get a few quicker ones done just to speed it up a bit only focusing on the general proportions and forms and leave the details.

tumblr_npn7jhzVNN1r7zn8fo1_1280.png

tumblr_npn7jhzVNN1r7zn8fo2_1280.png