Home Technical Talk

Painting on mirrored UVs using Mudbox

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
belkun polycounter lvl 7
I've just downloaded Mudbox 2014 to try to get it into my texturing workflow, and while trying it out I've noticed that it doesn't work with UVs outside the 0-1 space. I found this Polycount thread with a similar issue, and there's a post from oglu about that:
oglu wrote: »
the violet/blue faces are uvs outside the uv space 0-1...
mud will create an extra texture for it...
by default the textures outside 0-1 are unloaded to save vram...
if you like to load it hover over the area and use the "up arrow" shortcut...

What exactly do I need to do in order to make it load them? I tried to "hover over the area and use the "up arrow" shortcut", and it just changes the color from the default material to a kind of bluish purple.

Here's the mesh I'm trying to use and the problem I'm having:

2KrgCFD.png

Is there anyway to get Mudbox to mirror the texture or do I have to overlap the UVs before exporting in order to get the mirroring to work while painting?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    I think you should be fine if you dont move your uvs 1 position to the right.

Try it out!
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    mud should have no problem to paint on mirrored uvs...
    you only have to turn mirror for the brush off...

if you wish to paint two textures for each side you have to name them mudbox conform to load it... easiest way to do that is to paint something on the object... save the mudbox file...
    open the images up in PS and overwrite them... reload the files in mud...

or do the correct naming by hand...
    texturename_u1_v1.tif
    texturename_u2_v1.tif
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Dvonio wrote: »
    I think you should be fine if you dont move your uvs 1 position to the right.

A-Yup
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @oglu

I know that Mudbox works when painting on mirrored UVs using symmetry, but it doesn't actually show the texture on both sides when I import it. If I start to paint with mirror turned on I get the color on both sides, but the base texture that I load is still only on the main UVs and not on the mirrored ones.

I tried to import it with the UVs overlapped, and I got loads of artifacts along the edges when trying to paint:

PxBMvF6.png
  • fr0gg1e
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Subdivide your model without smoothing. Mudbox is notorious to have problems with painting on low poly.
    CTRL+Shift+D and disable everything then CTRL+D to subdive it (IIRC). Then paint away.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    fr0gg1e wrote: »
    Subdivide your model without smoothing. Mudbox is notorious to have problems with painting on low poly.
    CTRL+Shift+D and disable everything then CTRL+D to subdive it (IIRC). Then paint away.

That did the trick! Thanks a lot for the help :D
  • Asyme
    Also incase you're exploring.... check out 3dcoat. I rarely pimp one piece of software over another - but my last studio did a pipeline check for game artwork with both packages. We found 3dcoat much more... low poly texture friendly.

Your mileage might vary of course.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Asyme wrote: »
    Also incase you're exploring.... check out 3dcoat. I rarely pimp one piece of software over another - but my last studio did a pipeline check for game artwork with both packages. We found 3dcoat much more... low poly texture friendly.

Your mileage might vary of course.

I'm actually trying out both of them, and I gave 3D-Coat a try before going on Mudbox, I want to see the strengths and weaknesses of both. Thanks for the tip!