Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Vray RT for Production

fire67
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
fire67 polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

I am trying to use Vray RT for production but I am facing somme issues. First, Here is the hardware configuration.
  • 2x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
  • RAM 32 Go
  • CPU Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50 GHz

I would like to output a movie in 720p or 1080p. But for the moment I am testing with a simple image output.
In my scene I have a simple Vray area light, a physical camera and global illumination activated with default settings. Of course, I also have some meshes with default vray shader without any texture or anything, just default.

Concerning the render, I have Vray RT activated for production with default settings.

When I make a render I cannot achieve to have a noiseless image. I always have a fast preview but if I want to get a "clean" render I need to wait about 5 minutes which seems to me very strange.

I didn't found any clear tutorial on Vray RT to make it suitable for production renders.

If you have any configuration settings or any other advice, I'll be glab to read them.
Maybe should I use an other render engine focused on GPU rendering.

Thank you very much.

Replies

• .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    fire67 wrote: »
    When I make a render I cannot achieve to have a noiseless image. I always have a fast preview but if I want to get a "clean" render I need to wait about 5 minutes which seems to me very strange.
    I would say this is normal.

The progessive refinement uses only a few samples for the first pass. After that it raises the samples for every pass through the image until it reaches the maximum defined samples.

I wouldn´t recommend using vray for animation.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    5minutes is fast... i have to wait over an hour per frame...
    thats how it is...

rendering takes time... and GPU wont make it that much faster...
  • fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    oglu wrote: »
    5minutes is fast... i have to wait over an hour per frame...
    thats how it is...

rendering takes time... and GPU wont make it that much faster...

I would agree for a complex image but I don't have any complex material, only the default VRay material... and simple objects.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    fire67 wrote: »
    I would agree for a complex image but I don't have any complex material, only the default VRay material... and simple objects.
    You are rendering with global illumination so this takes a while if you don´t precalculate your lightning as a irradiance map or lightcache in vray.
    You could also try to use another renderer if vray is still too slow for you. If you have access to maya or softimage you can try arnold which is really fast for outdoor scenes. Indoor scenes require more sampling or more complicated light setups but for exterior scenes its very fast and easy to set up.
  • fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for your answer :)