Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Joopson's Portfolio Website Design (no art yet)

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Hey Guys,
so, I'm in the midst of designing a portfolio website, since my current design, and the work therein, is rather lacking. So, I'd just like to know how you feel about it. If you think it's too complicated, or whatever. Anything at all. I just want it to be critiqued to death, so it doesn't drive away employers in herds in the future when I'm looking for a job. Keep in mind, anything that says "Placeholder", is going to be replaced with good art.

You can get there through this link: (It's hosted on Dropbox, so it may be slow)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30185090/WebsiteWork/index.html

Thanks so much for your time and words.
It's still a work in progress, so some things are missing. But I figure it's better to get critique while I've still got the drive to work on it.

EDIT: Website done. [url]Http://www.Joopson3D.com[/url]
Now onto the portfolio work!

Replies

• samcole
    What is the difference between the Projects section and your environment section? I don't think you need Projects.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Projects would be things I work on in a group setting. My school has something pretty cool called "Game Wizards", which is essentially a student production team. We make games. And so, work I do with them would be put in the "Projects" area. Which, to me, is really relevant, because it's experience.
  • samcole
    OK, let me clarify what I mean. What I'm saying is you should combine Projects and Environments. You're separating your work, which will make it harder on recruiters and people looking at your work. Right now the environments section is first up on the left. What happens if you have a really cool group project in Projects section, but the person reviewing your site stops at your Environment section and doesn't go on?

You can always make a short description of the different projects, and whether they were group projects or solo, but dividing things up only adds more clicks, more time, and more hassle.
  • darthwilson
    I guess you could merge environments and props into one?

On your index I'd have 3-5 of your best pieces show up. Bam! So employers can see.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Oh, ok- I see what you mean. But, there will never be an entire environment made by me in the projects section, which is why I separated it. I'd rather have "environments" be all my own work. So, maybe I should remove "Projects" entirely? The teachers at my school recommended having it as a section on my portfolio, but they certainly aren't the end all be all.... I'll play around with it, and try to find a way to organize it into fewer sections, maybe. Thanks for the feedback!

And thanks for the help, DarthWilson- I was thinking, maybe keeping the distinction between Environments and props, but have the index be the "Best of the Best" mixture of Props and environments. That's definitely a good idea. I was considering having it be a slideshow, but I think I do prefer just having separate images. Later tonight I'll be going back to the drawing board a bit, to take into account some of the stuff you guys have said.

Thanks again, guys!
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Threw in some placeholder WIP arts, to help better visualize things:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30185090/WebsiteWork/index.html

Any tips, guys?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Ok, got it all online and working. Any last tips, before I get crackin' on some real arts? Any feedback on the art that is there, or anything you think I should keep in my portfolio. As it is, it's all up for grabs.
    [url]Http://www.Joopson3D.com[/url]

I'll post up my current WIP soon, methinks.

Thanks again, Folks.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Thank you, Spam bot! I like you, too.
    [Oh, that was fast. All gone.]