Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio]: Poly-Jon, Jon Reilly

Poly-Jon
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys, been a member a long time but rarely post. I've been working a lot on my portfolio recently as I've been looking for a new gig and would appreciate any comments/crits that will help me present myself as well as possible to potential employers (was in my last position for 10 years so been a long time since I last applied for a job!)

http://polyjon.carbonmade.com/

All crits & comments welcome.

Cheers
Jon

Replies

• X-Convict
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Nice variety of work here! Sad about Bizarre, good luck in your job search.
  • MoreDread
    can i have one of your organs? i read somewhere that sometimes people aquire some of the skills of the donor that way....
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    oh my. Thanks for sharing the goodness. Any studio that could take you would be foolish not to.
  • Tenchi
    Woah. Great work. The mini Zonda is great ^^
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    This is really good stuff dude, considering the work i don't see how you can be out of the industry for much longer. Dudes would be mental to pass you up.
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    haha nice you sculpted over a really old model of mine - must have been in a cgtalk model pack or somethin. (http://m.cmcdn.net/10395128/940x282.jpeg)

nice and diverse stuff going on.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Great Portfolio! You shouldn't have trouble getting work at all.

- BoBo
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    definitely some amazing work! only thing i didnt enjoy too much was the backgrounds for some of the characters. a little bit too distracting in my opinion.
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.
    Couple of things i have been thinking is
    A, thair`s too much content might drop it to a few good pieces
    B, i might remove my early work Gotham 1 - Treasure planet etc keep it more current ?

Mike5424 - Cheers dude cant take credit for the site as it`s carbonmade`s layout

X-Convict - Thanks yea it`s sad that Bizarre went under but i am more than ready for the new challenges ahead for me it hopefuly be a good thing in the long run.

MoreDread - I have heard people getting traces from parts off guy`s who were murders etc so i will send you a bag of nail clippings let me know how you get on :)

SouthpawSid - Cheers I just need the studio`s to think that too

Tenchi - cheers i really got in to doing small Photoshop tweaked pics for a while do I modelled the zonda to expand on that but after a while of working on it it started to look normal so when i saw a zonda a little while after it looked like a stretched limo version .. very strange :)

tda - Thanks

kio - Hay dude yea cool base model. It was when i was just getting in to zbrush i wanted a quick thing that wasent a zspear to do a quick sketch sculpt and before i know it it was textured and rendered ! and am trying to be as diverse as i can with my work i hope to be able to get any task an run with it not quite thair yet :P awesome low poly work dude thanks for sharing

BoBo_the_seal - Cheers bud huge fan so very honoured by your comment

Oniram - Cheers for the comments i know what you mean i kind of rushed a few shots - backgrounds for a interview i had ready for the next day so diddent give them need to revisit them.

That`s what this is all about needing to streamline and get my folio to where am happy with it and more impotently the big company`s in the industry will give me a good challenging role :)

Cheers again every one thanks for looking and commenting so much amazing talent on this forum it can be very daunting to post work :)
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

Just like to get people`s opinion on my new site. One of the main bits of feedback I got from a few companies was they couldn't see what my speciality was from my site. I have tried for character, environment props etc as I have experience of all areas and I feel that I am a good wel- rounded artist, at least I try to be!
    So I have created a second, smaller site, splitting work into categories with a few examples of each. I hope this will help companies find what they want to see easier.

All feedback very welcome,

Thanks guys!

Smaller site -> http://polyjon2.carbonmade.com/
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    ehhm, one major problem with your "smaller" site; how do I save your work? right clicking the images and save makes me save a html page.

edit: I like the original site much better then your smaller version. If the issue is people not knowing what you do then add it to your header. "Johnathan Reilly, all-round 3d artist" or something like that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Awesome content and great layout, you can't go wrong with carbonmade.

If I had to come up with a crit about the site its that the font you used on some of the images is hard to read. But honestly I'm not bothered by it.

Nice stuff I look forward to congratulating you in your "I got a job" thread =)
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Excellent portfolio man! Great content and very varied, I always love those!
    The minotaur is superb and I absolutely love the characters you did on Blur. Seriously great stuff, I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a new gig.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing stuff, really inspiring. Lots of cool and well executed props, great sculpts and characters as well. Top notch!
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice works! :)
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Great work, a few new spots opened at Crytek UK last week. If its something that interests you give it a shot.
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys thanks for the positive feedback i need to keep up beat about it saying it`s just the industry at the mo as i have been job searching since feb and it`s taking it`s toll a little.
    I managed to get a temp contract with the guys at Sony Liverpool working on WipEout 2048
    Great bunch of guys but my contracts due up at the end of the month so can feel the pressure building again to get more work till i can find a job i can call home :)
    Easy to feel totally drained when your working all day then coming home and trying to do all you can at night.
    And after a while very easy to Doubt ya skills especially when you seethe amazing talent on here so i really appreciate your comments .

EVIL : Cheers man take all you want took a look at your site some amazing work really wish i could concept as for the -all round 3D Artist- it`s not a bad idea i guess to try to state the obvious but i didn't want to look like a jack of all sorts and a master of none ( not that am a master of any but am sure you know what i mean ) :D

Mark Dygert : Cheers man thanks yea theirs some layout issues i need to sort on some of them text background etc but hard to find the time to revisit the shot but that's just lazy and sloppy i need to step up my game i really hope to be posting the "i got a job thread myself too " \m/ >_< \m/

Maph : Cheers man been been a fan of yours for a while especially for your ZB Autosave "Phew" :D i really liked our blur stuff it was for a array of cut scenes the whole team did a great job but alas it was one of them decisions to cut them from the game bitter pill but i did agree why ... (after a little sulk :P )

Chrisradsby : hay a fellow 2048-er whoot great stuff :D Cheers for comments man

megalmn2000 : Cheers great stuff on your site too

IchII3D : Cheers dude yup aplied last week when i saw the post fingers crossed

Thanks guys ill be taking a gander at a little polish on my site tonight as the little one was a lunch time rush for yet another application if anyone spots something nasty and can figure the goose to lay me the golden job i would appreciate all your comments good and bad :)
  • Poly-Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i have updates the banners for the sections think they look much tidier

http://polyjon2.carbonmade.com/
    Ban_Dif.jpg

Cheers