Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    @Rubus The idea looks pretty cool, but remember that Valve is trying to avoid everything bone/gross things related due to the chinese market. Keep this in mind in yoour future projects!

That's true, but the dark troll summoner summons skeletons which look fairly similar. We tried to make it come off as more playful than scary too, especially in the video!
  • kinyz
    Offline / Send Message
    kinyz polycounter lvl 14
    Kraken wrote: »
    working on a courier:
    CZ8DKQS.png
    What do you think about it?
    hot hot hot
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Kraken, suppurb quality work, man I'm yelous...

Finished my item for the monthly contest, so sorry for the xpost :D

cCGbQ8T.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    So - whilst I'm waiting for the animations for my courier(s), I've started on a ward themed around Baba Yaga, to go along with DrySocket and Chemical Alia's amazing Baba Yaga courier.

Just the highpoly at the minute...
    SamChester_BabaYagaWard_highpolyfinished.jpg

(sorry for the huge images - forgot to resize and re-upload)
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    Would be thankful for ur support <3
    r457-ve9ctA.jpg
  • bladeshot
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    @Rocket_Science They look really big. Almost as big as Riki himself. I suggest you to change size a little bit. Anyway good job!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Ok I finally finished set for Slark. It was made for tournament organized by Dota 2 Srbija. I hope more detail will be available soon. Anyway right now I want to post sculpt and promo haha. Things that I am most proud of :D Screens and such can be seen on workshop so I will not spam here to much. It was hard to not post any updates ^^'

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241943826&savesuccess=1

ffcghCE.jpg
    oVQA45f.jpg
  • Markopolo123
    Hiya guys! Just completed my very first item for ogre magi with Jequito! Do drop by to give a thumbs up if you like it!

Candle Light Club
    2ekqkbb.jpg
    Collab with Jequito!
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Konras - that artwork is absolutely insane..
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Konras wrote: »
    snip

Wow, amazing promo!

Great work on the actual in game are too!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @penOr @Reyne Thank guys!! I forgot to mention that Promo/concept/textures as always were made my my GF Madzia :) I am super happy you like it!!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Been too long since I have posted, had to take care of some health concerns, but now should be able to return to item crafting! Great stuff going on here, saw some good news on reddit:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/21b9rt/seems_that_empiretvheaven_steam_account_is_locked/
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    kite212 wrote: »
    Been too long since I have posted, had to take care of some health concerns, but now should be able to return to item crafting! Great stuff going on here, saw some good news on reddit:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/21b9rt/seems_that_empiretvheaven_steam_account_is_locked/

It's kinda funny. If he really is some giant bot mastermind/has Xthousand of loyal fans follow him,I wouldn't doubt it if he will just "pay" someone for their account and use that to spearhead the movement.

#noMoreSus
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    It's kinda funny. If he really is some giant bot mastermind/has Xthousand of loyal fans follow him,I wouldn't doubt it if he will just "pay" someone for their account and use that to spearhead the movement.

#noMoreSus

We can see if the workshop mafia is real... So lets do a bunch of sets for heros with a mafia theme to them, or maybe next months challenge should a mafia theme
  • Soldeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Update on the weapon I posted before :D We switched it from being of Vengeful to Phantom Assasin due to polycount limits(Lovely 600tris LoD1 @ PA). Everything is finished, now it's alextz91's turn on to texturing ^^. Hope you guys like it, really enjoyed making this one and learnt a LOT.

szFvllR.gif

7JzDt.png
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Did a Daedalus sword with Slime.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242204421

25C14F3140B1D84BECFB66F24CA1880687B76C74

Got a couple more singles to do and then I think I'm doing a Rubick set with Fudgie.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Cool deda sword zipf.

Just finished my monthly community thing for Elder. Off to my brew set

[URL="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?
    id=242230318"]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242230318[/URL]

FcJvcTw.jpg
  • PoPcorn
    Hey guys. This is my Slark set done for NEXON. Thanks to my friend Pancreasart who helped me with the final design for the sword.

Slark_Promo_zps190ac3e6.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Hey guys. This is my Slark set done for NEXON. Thanks to my friend Pancreasart who helped me with the final design for the sword.

Slark_Promo_zps190ac3e6.jpg

This needs to come with hannibal lecter inspired sound effect. Love the set, I want that facemask so bad!
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard something about lotion, and skin, and baskets.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    The CK set I worked on with Stefco and Prophet9 is finally up on the workshop!

hsCvaPa.jpg
  • bounchfx
    @belkun - that looks freaking awesome!! Voted!

got my own to share haha - collab with Ziedrich that's taken far too long for me to finish, give it a vote if you like!

637x358.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    So - whilst I'm waiting for the animations for my courier(s), I've started on a ward themed around Baba Yaga, to go along with DrySocket and Chemical Alia's amazing Baba Yaga courier.

Just the highpoly at the minute...
    SamChester_BabaYagaWard_highpolyfinished.jpg

(sorry for the huge images - forgot to resize and re-upload)

looks amazing!

just unsure about the size of the details, they may look a little noisy in game

but really nice work =]

Konras wrote: »
    Ok I finally finished set for Slark. It was made for tournament organized by Dota 2 Srbija. I hope more detail will be available soon. Anyway right now I want to post sculpt and promo haha. Things that I am most proud of :D Screens and such can be seen on workshop so I will not spam here to much. It was hard to not post any updates ^^'

ffcghCE.jpg

omg that artwork! its amazing!

guys, i've being working on a Lone druid set ( my favorite hero =] ) and would like to share for some feedback.

i have some crazy ideas about the model changing based on the item it carries and on the level of the trueform, that is why the bear have a mijollnir on the next gif

b946chI.gif

KindDecimalKitty.gif

old version of the true form
    mAvOF5b.gif

k9gab8b.gif

But i dont know how Valve allows the precache for that. Another model that changes during the game is Tiny, butt it have just one texture, so there is no need to create a texture map when it is created in game and maybe its not that heavy to the engine and dont need a precache

So maybe its a total NO about those ideas

Im changing almost everything on this set, the bear and trueform are from scratch. the Trueform have 3 levels and all of them have blendshapes for the facial movements. There is also a custom entangle.

since its all custom, i will need to be really lucky with this one...

any feedback will be welcome!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Thiago
    I've been looking at your stream every now and then and the work you did with the custom effects is really fantastic. But I have a multifaceted problem with the design of the set: There's no unified theme. The set is called Wolfhunter (I think) which is cool but where does it show? The only place on the set where you can get that is the shoulder slot, but then the bear is a red panda? The Trueform, I just don't understand what it's supposed to be, it looks like this guy to me which is a bit ridiculous, besides looking unfinished in terms of the texture. So to me it seems like you had a bunch of different ideas and mashed them all together into a set which breaks a lot of the really great work you put into it.

The set by itself looks great from what I can see from the topdown angle. The red panda could be damn sweet in an appropriately themed set. The animations on everything look very solid as always. The extra particle stuff you're doing is awesome. But there's no connection so it all falls apart for me.

Another thing to consider is that adding visuals for what items the bear carries may impact the game at the pro level as you no longer have to check its inventory to see what it carries, giving the enemy a (very) slight advantage.

@bounch
    Where's them wip videos?!:D
  • bounchfx
    Spudnik wrote: »
    @bounch
    Where's them wip videos?!:D

Once I get after effects on my pc! I have the sculpt and texture process recorded, but I need AE and time! :( It's hard to come by lately. :( I'll update my thread with it when I get it together. Sorry it's been so long!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    NphBe4u.png
    working on the highpoly base for fudgies rubick set
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    looks amazing!

just unsure about the size of the details, they may look a little noisy in game

but really nice work =]

omg that artwork! its amazing!

guys, i've being working on a Lone druid set ( my favorite hero =] ) and would like to share for some feedback.

i have some crazy ideas about the model changing based on the item it carries and on the level of the trueform, that is why the bear have a mijollnir on the next gif

b946chI.gif

KindDecimalKitty.gif

any feedback will be welcome!

About the particle, I think the only issue I see with it is the dirt, it's a bit much and I honestly feel the particle can work without it, or at least toning it down quite a bit more. The bamboo itself is brilliant, but I can't help but feel that it would work better on Spirit of Calm. Maybe it could be a feature of both?

As far as the items on the bear goes, youre really dancing on the fence with that one. Even though players can click on the bear to see what is in it's inventory, creating a visual change in the model itself could break that aspect of having to actually click on the bear to see what is equiped on it, acting as a handicap for players who use that item. It's really hard to judge it, maybe it's not to much of a problem, but at the end of the day, players would know best.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    bounchfx wrote: »
    @belkun - that looks freaking awesome!! Voted!

got my own to share haha - collab with Ziedrich that's taken far too long for me to finish, give it a vote if you like!

637x358.resizedimage

I love that set man. It makes Shadow Demon way cooler than default. Great job both of you. :thumbup:
  • TommyTehZombie
    Waiting till tomorrow to post these Slark weapons so if anyone wants to crit nows the time =P

Primary color
    lVYmtKK.jpg

Alternate color
    Mg4T64K.jpg

(yes, thats correct.)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Hello. Hope still remember me. I am manager of Dota2.Ru :). Currently we are looking for a item set or courier, that we can ship with our tournament ticket. Our offer: 40% from ticket sales. ticket will cost about 5$. Maybe you have some friends, that can help us? Or soe of your items, that was not added?

Anyone interested? Message me or add MR.President[BOD] on steam.
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    Abbadon concept from hangouts
    Abbadon_Concept012_zpsac1c8b7f.jpg
  • penOr
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Anyone interested? Message me or add MR.President[BOD] on steam.

If someone is interested in making a courier for this, but needs a rigger and animator, I'd be up for some collaboration! Here's my steam, and thread with work.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Just submitted the Spetre weapon with Slimeface, please rate it up :)

Spectral Gladius

The Spectre known as Mercurial is a being of intense and violent energy who finds herself irresistibly drawn to scenes of strife as they unfold in the physical world. An ancient sword was once lost between the states of energy and was misshapen during the milenia that passed, that is until Mercurial the specter found the misshaped weapon and brought it down to the scenes of strife and struggle. Every single cut dealt to a physical being with the Spectral Gladius, gets her one step closer to ascension.

7274C34D4C1105332A6A6138121E40E28FF3F3B4
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    @Thiago
    I've been looking at your stream every now and then and the work you did with the custom effects is really fantastic. But I have a multifaceted problem with the design of the set: There's no unified theme. The set is called Wolfhunter (I think) which is cool but where does it show? The only place on the set where you can get that is the shoulder slot, but then the bear is a red panda? The Trueform, I just don't understand what it's supposed to be, it looks like this guy to me which is a bit ridiculous, besides looking unfinished in terms of the texture. So to me it seems like you had a bunch of different ideas and mashed them all together into a set which breaks a lot of the really great work you put into it.

The set by itself looks great from what I can see from the topdown angle. The red panda could be damn sweet in an appropriately themed set. The animations on everything look very solid as always. The extra particle stuff you're doing is awesome. But there's no connection so it all falls apart for me.

Another thing to consider is that adding visuals for what items the bear carries may impact the game at the pro level as you no longer have to check its inventory to see what it carries, giving the enemy a (very) slight advantage.

Maybe I should have explained more about the wolfhuter idea, thanks for bringing that up, i will make it look more intense when i submit it
    its not just the left shoulder piece but the more agressive claws (even if he doesnt use to attack) , the more agreesive right shoulder and the lycan's summon head on the left shoulder as the main part of the theme. My other entangle was on the same theme but a lot of people said that a bear trap would not fit lonedruid, so i changed to the bamboos

uploaded another gif to show the wolf trophy, (maybe i should weight that a little less to the shoulder itself, it make some strange movements)
    oB2H6vI.gif

And the trueform is not Taz, it was just a joke because some guys were saying that looks like the looney tunes tazmanian devil, there was other days where people people said that looked like a bulldog so i had a picture of admiralbulldog on my screen. And the textures are unfinished, i am pretty sure that i mentioned that

About the particle, I think the only issue I see with it is the dirt, it's a bit much and I honestly feel the particle can work without it, or at least toning it down quite a bit more. The bamboo itself is brilliant, but I can't help but feel that it would work better on Spirit of Calm. Maybe it could be a feature of both?

As far as the items on the bear goes, youre really dancing on the fence with that one. Even though players can click on the bear to see what is in it's inventory, creating a visual change in the model itself could break that aspect of having to actually click on the bear to see what is equiped on it, acting as a handicap for players who use that item. It's really hard to judge it, maybe it's not to much of a problem, but at the end of the day, players would know best.

Dancing in the fence, i like this sentence =]
    And about the particles, i agree with you guys, it may be too much showing the items it carries. Radiance is pretty obvious because of the aura but Mijollnir not that much. Maybe instead of changing during the game it could be just an style, so it will already start with the item in the beginning of the game.

the entangle im planning to be bound with the "weapon" slot, the same used by the calderon and could be used with all the other spirit bears

----

thanks for the critiques guys, im going to focus a little more on them now. Cheers!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Hello. Hope still remember me. I am manager of Dota2.Ru . Currently we are looking for a item set or courier, that we can ship with our tournament ticket. Our offer: 40% from ticket sales. ticket will cost about 5$. Maybe you have some friends, that can help us? Or soe of your items, that was not added?

40% on a $5 ticket seems pretty low for a whole courier.
    Maybe I should have explained more about the wolfhuter idea, thanks for bringing that up, i will make it look more intense when i submit it
    its not just the left shoulder piece but the more agressive claws (even if he doesnt use to attack) , the more agreesive right shoulder and the lycan's summon head on the left shoulder as the main part of the theme. My other entangle was on the same theme but a lot of people said that a bear trap would not fit lonedruid, so i changed to the bamboos

uploaded another gif to show the wolf trophy, (maybe i should weight that a little less to the shoulder itself, it make some strange movements)

And the trueform is not Taz, it was just a joke because some guys were saying that looks like the looney tunes tazmanian devil, there was other days where people people said that looked like a bulldog so i had a picture of admiralbulldog on my screen. And the textures are unfinished, i am pretty sure that i mentioned that

Ok. But the main problem that I outlined in my original reply was that the set looks like you had a bunch of cool ideas and put them together into a mismatched set.

I'd say right now, the trueform is the weakest part, partly because even with finished textures, I think it'll still look weird design wise, partly because the other parts of the set just look that much better.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    BladeOfEvilsBane and myself finished up this single item for Gyro, hope everyone likes it! Damn, the texture constraints for Gyro's wings are tough!

200x200.resizedimage

BF26C75740B84E6BE772A406F1AEE121D62C8DBC
  • stkopp
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I really like that spear stkopp. Voted up!

Belt high-poly is mostly done for my tidehunter set. Any crits welcome:

20gxhqg.jpg
  • Josh21
    Helmet ideas for WK. More can be seen in my workshop thread.

CzBgden.jpg
  • TommyTehZombie
    Hokay, posted my Daggers, votes appreciated =D

A79EE23FE45C8335EEA96F71EA71AE0641205E51
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Does everyone use handplane for normals? I feel dumb, any time I try using it I get terrible, terrible results. You can't control the cage/ray distance and there are artifacts all over the place whereas in xnormal its fine.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    Does everyone use handplane for normals? I feel dumb, any time I try using it I get terrible, terrible results. You can't control the cage/ray distance and there are artifacts all over the place whereas in xnormal its fine.

Wat!? Handplane is not for baking, you bake an object space map in something like xNormal, and use that and your low poly to get a perfect tangent space map weighted for source engine. If you show your maps it will indicate what is wrong
  • SeeingTriangles
    Hi guys, I've been interested in learning 3D modelling mostly for creating Dota2 items, I started learning 2 months ago and right now I'm working on a CM set. I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I'm having problem with the importer.
    I deleted the history, froze transformations after skinning then tried importing the head item (the texture is not done yet though) but it appeared too big and floating above her head:
    5w505.jpg
    2pt2tlw.jpg
    Here's the sculpt and low poly model for comparison (I used the base model downloaded from the technical requirements page. Also thanks Anuxi for the advices and tips on changing the neck and staff :)):
    35by3hj.jpg
    i3te1k.jpg
    I've tried scaling it down then freezing transformations again, but it stayed the same. I even tried importing the default head item that comes with the base model, but even the default head item would appear big and floating above her head. Is is the problem with the importer or I did something wrong? Is there a way to fix this? Thanks for reading this.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I've been interested in learning 3D modelling mostly for creating Dota2 items, I started learning 2 months ago and right now I'm working on a CM set. I don't know if this is the right thread to post this, but I'm having problem with the importer.
    I deleted the history, froze transformations after skinning then tried importing the head item (the texture is not done yet though) but it appeared too big and floating above her head:

Here's the sculpt and low poly model for comparison (I used the base model downloaded from the technical requirements page. Also thanks Anuxi for the advices and tips on changing the neck and staff :)):

I've tried scaling it down then freezing transformations again, but it stayed the same. I even tried importing the default head item that comes with the base model, but even the default head item would appear big and floating above her head. Is is the problem with the importer or I did something wrong? Is there a way to fix this? Thanks for reading this.

CM model from the technical page has not been updated to my knowledge. Decompile a recent model of her for proper scale. I may also have the .smds from a recent update

Edit: smd's extracted on 1/31/14, been working on a set off these https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4a8dmly2xmg7ig/CM_smds.zip
  • SeeingTriangles
    Thanks for the quick reply and the SMD files Kite212, I will try and see if it works. Thanks a lot again :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »

Kite is right, maybe your problem is that you are skipping an important stage. Handplane is an extra stage after baking the normals to get the normals based on the engine, the diference is not that big comparing the maps but if you model have some flat parts its pretty noticeable when tested in game
    40% on a $5 ticket seems pretty low for a whole courier.

Ok. But the main problem that I outlined in my original reply was that the set looks like you had a bunch of cool ideas and put them together into a mismatched set.

I'd say right now, the trueform is the weakest part, partly because even with finished textures, I think it'll still look weird design wise, partly because the other parts of the set just look that much better.

i do agree it seams low, i made a lot of mistakes in the past and one of them was not giving the proper valor to my work. I suggest you guys to not work for that and ask for more, because if we keep accepting low shares they will keep ask to work for less...

about the trueform i will see what i can do to make it look more interesting, im looking to this set for so long that i may be blind for some things, thanks for that =]

btw guys, i decided to give a try to the Marmoset toolbag 2 with the dota 2 shader and i have to say that is amazing!

crossposting the image from the marmoset announcing thread

There is some photoshop over it but its amazing how quick is the result in marmoset
    IiWx6Dp.jpg

im using the trial version but I am already convinced to buy =]
  • Frederik J
    5w505.jpg
    2pt2tlw.jpg
    35by3hj.jpg
    i3te1k.jpg
    Did you buy Maya as a beginner??
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    HUGEEE congrats to pixelherder for making the recap!

Whenever baller dota work is mentioned, I feel like our community gets a couple more inches of ups!!
  • pear
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    Frederik J wrote: »
    Did you buy Maya as a beginner??

Or it's the Maya LT? Or Student?