Home General Discussion

Your view on Mobile constant runner games.

Hello there!

Currently i am a student on a Foundation degree in games art and am rather new to these sort of areas, so am asking you for any sort of advice you can give me!
For one of my projects i am required to make an asset pack for the unity store to potentially be downloadable for people to use themselves.

As of my title i have come to a conclusion to create 2D backgrounds for continuous running games ideal for a mobile game (preferable of iOs software so does include iPads but not androids as i've chosen to stick with the iOs software)

Good examples of what games i've been looking at generally refer to classic arcade games - where all you would have were the option to move the character either left or right on the screen ( The original Mario game being a perfect example of the sort of game i'm referring to.) - i am looking into what visual style you would look for in games similar to that but for a more modern and intricate game. Would you be looking for something bright and colourful? Or would you be looking for something a bit more in depth and detailed? Would too much background detail ruin the actual game for you or would it make it a better more entertaining gaming experience?

Any views would be greatly appreciated, including whether or not you would pay for a game like this, maybe helping me to indicate how visually appealing this should be if it was a free download of work to be used for a free downloadable game.

I will be updating a 2D work showcase later this week with the work and examples i have already put towards this, which i will link when it's done.

Thanks so much for your time, any feedback would be fab!

Replies

• gsokol
    So wait, a requirement in school is to use what is likely educational licensed software for commercial purposes?
  • EnterOleyxis
    It is an arts college, the software has been fully paid for, so no.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i personally dislike constant runners as they take away control from the player, just limiting itself to few actions. i have yet to find one that i think is fun.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I luv em , temple run is a just great, so addictive
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Infuriating...ly addictive and just plain infuriating!
  • RyanB
    gsokol wrote: »
    So wait, a requirement in school is to use what is likely educational licensed software for commercial purposes?

You can use the free version of Unity to make assets for the asset store. You can't make use of the pro features, so high quality lighting and post effects are not available.
  • RyanB
    Hello there!

Currently i am a student on a Foundation degree in games art and am rather new to these sort of areas, so am asking you for any sort of advice you can give me!
    For one of my projects i am required to make an asset pack for the unity store to potentially be downloadable for people to use themselves.

Wait...has hell frozen over?!!! Are those pigs I see flying through the sky?!!!

You need to thank whoever is teaching you that you can make money as an artist selling your own work, not just working for someone else.

I've seen 45,231,632 threads started by wannabes who sit around for years (literally) waiting for a job to magically appear. Instead, they could have been cranking out original work, selling it and having a constant stream of income. Owning your work is where all of the long-term profits are in commercial art.

Every piece of work created, owned and sold by artists improves the eco-system for all artists and game developers.

P.S. - I have nothing against working with or for other people/companies. I enjoy working as part of a team. But, it isn't the only option and sitting around waiting for jobs is a terrible choice.
  • gsokol
    RyanB wrote: »
    You can use the free version of Unity to make assets for the asset store. You can't make use of the pro features, so high quality lighting and post effects are not available.

Was referring to DCC apps. Max, Photoshop etc...I would be very surprised if school had full commercial licenses vs educational ones. They didn't when I was in school anyways.
  • RyanB
    gsokol wrote: »
    Was referring to DCC apps. Max, Photoshop etc...I would be very surprised if school had full commercial licenses vs educational ones. They didn't when I was in school anyways.

The educational version of Photoshop has always permitted commercial work. The only difference is the educational version of Photoshop is missing two fonts (I think).
    Can I use Student and Teacher Edition products commercially?

Yes, Student and Teacher Edition products can be used commercially on your privately owned computer. They may not be resold.

Most other educational software doesn't allow commercial use.