Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student portfolio critique needed

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dave3d polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone!

Im just into my second year at uni and the time to apply for placements is not far away, I'm looking for advice on what pieces I should cut.

If there is anything I am lacking/any skills that look like they need brushing up please let me know

any crits would be awesome so that I can make the most of this year and hopefully end up with a pretty solid portfolio :)

http://davidgportfolio.wix.com/portfolio

things that will be added soon:

CV
wire frames
texture flats

a few pieces from my site :

XoNPQdo.jpg
gGwp6ho.jpg
uzqZlMD.jpg
sYIqR2n.jpg
vKyy0cQ.jpg

Replies

• Nini
    Offline / Send Message
    Nini polycounter lvl 9
    very nice work :)

For the bricks, I suggest some white cement in between them sometimes.Making parts with the joints lighter, like erasing them a little would break that grid patern to get something nice.
    The gloss is a bit strong too. Looks like they are painted.
  • Nini
    Offline / Send Message
    Nini polycounter lvl 9
    The HighTech room is awesome. Lighting is pretty raw but awesome.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I think you're doing great man.

I'm not an environment guy so my opinion is worth less than some, but I think you seem to have a good grasp of the skills required, and your art is doing well. Some of the material definition could be worked on, the evenness of the scratching across most of your surfaces, but I think you're doing great.
  • carlobarley
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    looks pretty boss!

one thing that my mentor told me is that your portfolio will always be critiqued for what you don't have.

an architectural piece like a statue or architectural ornament perhaps? vs the character oddworld WIP. just a suggestion :)
  • Dave3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave3d polycounter lvl 8
    nini and ysalex thank you, material definition is defiantly something I am working on improving, also i will try and add more variation in the size of details and scratches in future pieces

carlobarley: thanks, there will be a few more pieces going up in about 2 months one of which is a gears of war environment which will have lots of interesting architectural elements and ornaments in it :)

this is really helpful stuff cheers :)
  • Dave3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave3d polycounter lvl 8
    worked on a new set of logos that I can use on my work/Site from now on
    WpuTGiA.jpg
    example of its use on my new project:
    FUS0ys4.jpg

My first CV/resume draft is up. I still need to add texture flats.

any last min critique/reccomendations would be awesome thanks :D
  • tonyd927
    Your material definition looked fine to me! but then again Im pretty bad lol
    Your stuff looks awesome
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ditch the logos, just include your name , email and website. The artsi fartsi logo is unecessary imo. The work is pretty cool ! this last render i would include a shot of the whole ship instead of just the bottom , its way too dark to shocase anything properly modeling wise !