Home General Discussion

Let's talk about weekends!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
Since it's already Monday for me and it's quite sad, I want to ask you guys and gals about your weekends. What do you do when on the final days of the week? Do you even have weekends or you prefer to do art till your eyes start to bleed?

I'm poor and lonely, so I spend my weekends resting at home playing video games and, hopefully, eating some fine apple pie.

Tell me about your weekends, Polycount.

Replies

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    friday night is drinky night, saturday is hangover day, sunday is chillling out and a bit of artwork/maybe DIY
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    monday to friday - studio
    Weekends - personal work

:( depressing, all the time i keep putting in and still not where i'd like to be!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    1 weekend night to see people (no heavy drinking though, i hate wasting the next day hungover). One morning for the gym. Maybe cook for the week on Sunday. Other errands here and there.

I try to work the rest of the time.
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I spend my weekend staring out the window contemplating the improbable odds it took for life on earth to form and if in our incomprehensibly huge universe those same odds are happening and or have happened in our neighbouring stars.
    "I want to believe" - Fox Mulder's poster

That and I do personal artwork.
  • sargentcrunch
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    not going out on Friday night. Too many people. Too much hassle. Order or cook something, depending on exhaustion level, watch a movie with the gf. Saturday, sleep long, get some house work done, play some games, do some 3D. Sunday, work on my dissertation.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    I just laze around the house doing nothing and seeing no one on the weekends, just like how I do during the rest of the week
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I've been getting into Romantic Comedy Animes on Crunchy roll and binge watch on the weekends.

Kill Me, Please
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Weekends = Weekdays for me :(
    No real difference between them.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think about doing personal work and then just end up in bed all day watching tv, only leaving to eat and pee ;__;
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    One day of the weekend i usally go into a bar to drink a beer or two with my girlfriend or some other people. Most of the daytime is filled with chilling, cleaning our flat and some computer games :).
    And because the hard and cold german winter closes in, i´m trying to handcraft some beanies :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Oh boy, don't get me started......on friday I like to heat up a nice cup of hot tea, and read a book by the fire, I am usually in bed by 8:30 though. On Saturday morning I put on my knee pads, elbow pads, shin guards, padded gloves, helmet, chest protector, and go on a nice bike ride, though I never exceed 10 miles per hour, and I avoid very hilly areas. Saturday night, I get a bit a crazy....I usually turn on some light classical music and prepare dinner for 1, again, I am in bed by 8:30. Sundays I calm down a bit and go out for brunch by myself, and then spend the rest of the day watching lifetime movies in bed, I try to go to bed around 7:30 on Sundays, I don't like staying up too late.

Sounds pretty wild.
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    Oh boy, don't get me started......on friday I like to heat up a nice cup of hot tea, and read a book by the fire, I am usually in bed by 8:30 though. On Saturday morning I put on my knee pads, elbow pads, shin guards, padded gloves, helmet, chest protector, and go on a nice bike ride, though I never exceed 10 miles per hour, and I avoid very hilly areas. Saturday night, I get a bit a crazy....I usually turn on some light classical music and prepare dinner for 1, again, I am in bed by 8:30. Sundays I calm down a bit and go out for brunch by myself, and then spend the rest of the day watching lifetime movies in bed, I try to go to bed around 7:30 on Sundays, I don't like staying up too late.

keep up that lifestyle and you wont live to see 60
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Ruz wrote: »
    friday night is drinky night, saturday is hangover day, sunday is chillling out and a bit of artwork/maybe DIY

Yup. Saturday watch epl games and maybe go out with co-workers. Sunday is generally a chill/do something day for me too.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    If I'm loaded up with work the weekend is usually just that-except with a bit of time for my gf and I let myself sleep in.

If I'm not loaded up with work, I take the weekend to relax. Day in bed, walk around Boston, night time games...some personal work if I can. I work 10-12 hour days during the week most of the time so it's important to take my weekends and enjoy them before it becomes super cold.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Sleep, Cigars, Scotch, Sleep, Beer, Game, Netflix, Sleep, Brew Day, Yard work, Paint. I also have a terrible habit of only really cleaning the house on the weekend, so I tend to go into cleaning mode for a bit. I tend to stay away from 3D work at home, but I will paint, if I'm inspired.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    weekend = building a real world house
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    oglu wrote: »
    weekend = building a real world house

Is it an Igloo :D
  • WarrenM
    Weekends are generally me intending to work on personal work ... getting interrupted by my wife wanting to do things, punctuated with random tasks around the condo. Once those are clear, I have to overcome the draw of laying in bed and binging on Netflix. Netflix usually wins...
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Weekends are art days or gaming days for me now. Programming during the week really takes its toll on me mentally and if i don't take the weekends to chill out i burn out really fast.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    On weekends I play games, hang out with friends, hang out with wife, clean the house, exercise, go to pool in summer.

My only ritual is on Sunday, I go to Chipotle and get a burrito, then I go to the Butchers Market and get 3lbs of chicken breast, and some other kind of meat to try. Usually, I'll grill the stuff for the week, or try other preparations to learn more about cooking.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    On Fridays I drink to forget, I cant remember what so I guess it must be working.

Saturday and Sunday I like to keep unplanned and do whatever takes my fancy...sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesn't
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Almost every other week I drive out of town to visit friends and family.

I always try to make sure I get exercise in on the weekend, and do SOMETHING productive artistically, even if it isn't what I should be working on. I went to a figure drawing session this past sunday, for instance. Sometimes I'll get really caught up in a personal art project, or a video game, and that will eat the whole weekend. Other times I spend the weekend completely drunk.

In any case I try to relax and be a bit easier on myself, since my weekdays are so tightly packed and scheduled.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    weekends are random for me, usually yard work and house cleaning. Current on and off again project is frankensteining a toy keyboard and a Rockband guitar together with various electronics hacks.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    weekends are random for me, usually yard work and house cleaning. Current on and off again project is frankensteining a toy keyboard and a Rockband guitar together with various electronics hacks.

Daaaaawg, you into circuit bending?! Post some videos of that! I love that shit!
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    weekends for me are all about going out, having fun and hanging with friends. pretty much anything 100% opposite I can get from work. gives the brain a rest and stops me from getting too burned out. I like to spend some time reading these days to work on expanding my mind and focus on some personal development shite. Sundays I love going to my favorite underground house club, rockin the D-floor and chattin up some lovely ladies, which can lead to a very rough/hungover/late start on monday morning ahahah.

For me personally, my weekends are the flipside of my weekdays, where I try to get as much of the routine stuff outta the way and leave my weekends open for spontaneous fun :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Weekends are art days or gaming days for me now. Programming during the week really takes its toll on me mentally and if i don't take the weekends to chill out i burn out really fast.

Likewise and +1 to you sir, value of life is king.
    moose wrote: »
    My only ritual is on Sunday, I go to Chipotle

CHIPOTLE.......so good
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    For me personally weekends are the same as workdays. Work all day long, watch some netflix at the evening, repeat.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Friday nights are usually go out with friends night for a bit, get some drinks and just unwind after working all week. Normally nothing crazy.

Saturday is sleep in and then most of the time do something with friends in the day/night. If crazy shinnanigas are going down it would be on Saturday.

Sunday is always random. Sleep in a bit, hangout with my roommate, go for a drive up in the mountains with my car, go photograph some stuff and hate every picture I took, play some video games, mess around with some 3d art if I'm feeling it or just lounging around and relaxing.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    i dont understand people who manage to do personal art in their spare time, at least not on weekends. i guess painting is different from 3d work, but if you work with 3d AND do it on your free time, i dont get it.
    for me its important to do something as far as sitting in front of a computer as possible. going out, dancing on clubs, walk in nature, meet new people. my ideal is that every weekend should be an adventure. i want to have a new experience and new impressions, and if i can squeze in somekind of thrilling challange were i get to test myself aswell, i would be happy.
    if im going to be preachy i would say that aiming for less is wasting life a bit.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Friday nights I'm usually exhausted so I tend to come home from school, take a shower, then fall asleep by 9 or 10 PM. I'll usually wake up at around 6 or 7 AM then immediately either work on art or programming (I try to alternate every week to prevent burnout) since I'm most productive early in the morning. After a few hours I'll go into hiding for the rest of the day since my family loves to start fights at any given opportunity, and then I'll just spend the rest of the day doing homework. Sundays usually go to finishing up long school assignments and yard work along with other chores. I like to end every Sunday with the feeling of hatred for school and how much I hate the people in my every day life.

At least weekdays don't suck as much weekends for me, except Thursdays, fuck Thursdays.
  • WarrenM
    if im going to be preachy i would say that aiming for less is wasting life a bit.
    It's "aiming for less" because you say so? If someone is happy doing art all the time, who cares?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja: because people are different. I have no trouble imagining why you would enjoy going to a dance club when I hate them. I don't hate people but being around them all week is draining and I have to recover on the weekends, going to a club does not re-energize me the way I imagine it re-energizes you.
  • sargentcrunch
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Homework more homework and maybe some 3d or video games with friends if I have time.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Taking kids out, homework, 3D and some work. Splash on some videogames.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    warrenm: of course this is just my opinon, no actual science or anything, but im just assuming that we are somewhat alike as human beings, and living a varied life is good thing for all of us. i never so far meet a person in real life, who did the same thing everyday that seemed happy.

im not saying that you have to enyoy clubs or dancing, just suggesting that you should consider excluding the weekends and your free time from your 3d schedule. try to seek new experiences, maybe get another hobby that makes you use other parts of yourself. i think its important to push yourself, to do things that you are afraid of, and that its a way to develop as a person.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    i dont understand people who manage to do personal art in their spare time, at least not on weekends. i guess painting is different from 3d work, but if you work with 3d AND do it on your free time, i dont get it.
    for me its important to do something as far as sitting in front of a computer as possible. going out, dancing on clubs, walk in nature, meet new people. my ideal is that every weekend should be an adventure. i want to have a new experience and new impressions, and if i can squeze in somekind of thrilling challange were i get to test myself aswell, i would be happy.

Why is it wasting life? You could argue the opposite. Do you not see art as something that may introduce you to awesome people, provide interesting experiences, etc?

I'll just throw an example out in a different field. Some of the coolest car garages I've been to are guys that work on cars 24/7 (not literally). During the day, they work on customers cars. At night and on the weekends, they build/tune their own cars, travel around the country to compete and meet new people.

And, to answer your last statement, they incredibly happy too. They love what they do. I think that sums it up.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    i think its important to push yourself, to do things that you are afraid of, and that its a way to develop as a person.

There's enough in the field of art and 3D that you can seek out novelty and challenge yourself on a daily basis.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    You can't compare working on a car to spending 16 hours a day in front of a computer screen (the latter having a severely negative effect on your overall health.) I think his point was that you should be looking to expand your horizons and try other things other than just make art and that's it, if that's all you are focused on it can lead to burn out pretty fast.

That being said if the artist wants to spend their majority of their time working then they shouldn't be made to feel bad about doing so, just saying it's good to keep an open mind :)
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah what torch said.

but also another point;
    i think in general, people tend to focus to much on what they are good at. like. if you discover at an early age that you are talanted at art. then a lot of people would identify with that, thinking of themselves as "artists" or the person-who-are-good-at-art. i do this a lot myself.
    then the problem can occur when someone suggest going to a football practise, or gokart racing or whatever. you think to yourself, "i cant do that, im a 'art'-person, i dont do sports" and effectivly excluding activities that could have been really fun and beneficial. i see this happen mostly to so called "nerds", that spend most of their time in front of the computer, and it seems to be really limiting.
    sometimes the impression from polycount can be that to succed working with gameart, you have to devote all your time to it. and that in my opinion, would encourage a unhealty, detached lifestyle.

and yeah regarding the working-on-cars example, i think its a lot broader than doing gameart. you would talk to new customers everyday, would change body position a lot, lift heavy stuff, use your motoric skills to fine tune small parts of the engine, and think of solutions on technical problems. thats a lot different from doing 3d in front of a computer.

i also guess it would be a lot different if you were some high level art director, going on lectures and seminars, leading teams of artists, and managing a studio. that, in my opinion, would be a lot more fullfilling than grinding at 3d art 24/7 in your room by yourself.

heres another reason aswell;
    you could say about writers, that they have to have lived to be able to tell a story. they wouldnt been able to write about meaningfull, engagig and emotionally touching things if they hadnt experienced those in some way.
    the same should be true about all forms of art. 3d art included. i would image that we could all be better artists if we had bigger experiences and impressions to inspire us. and that stuff is very unlikely to happen to us if we stay in front of the computer most of our time. im not sure about this, but i can say for myself, that i get a lot of inspiration from real life.
  • WarrenM
    Just let this subthread die, please. Dictating what is good and what isn't based on personal opinion is never productive. Analogies only make things worse as people start to focus on picking those apart instead of talking about the issue.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    i know im way out line in terms of objective, scientific discourse, but that was never my goal.

alright, when reading trough my comments, i can see that i sound condesending and preaching, which i apologize for. obviuosly, people are free to live how they want. so let me just say that the stuff i have written worked really well for me, to live a varied life and so on, and i hope that it coud be usefull as advice to anyone struggling with that.

what i wrote last though, about the writers, i still belive is true.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Last weekend I realized how good times were, before there was not digital distribution and games for 4$. I had few games and played them. Now... I had spend entire Saturday, browsing my collection to play something, and when there was dark I realized that from about 200 games none of them really interest me.

Anyway, when I finally settled on to play Tiberium Sun, it turned out it doesn't work on Windows 8.1. All fixes over internet I could find didn't worked.

After that I just watched movie.

In mean time I spend good deal of time, researching about Voxel Cone Tracing, which I can say was quite wasted, since I understand at most half of it, and I don't know how to code GPU on that level. I probably should have started from reading more about DirectX, OpenGL and data structures supported on GPUs.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    On Fridays I drink to forget, I cant remember what so I guess it must be working.

just make sure you don't forget to drink
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    I try to stick away from the computer as much as possible on weekends so i fit both my work in and my personal projects in during week days.

generally work on my own art or code for 2 hours before work, go to work writing more code than end the day with my personal projects again.

Than once Friday hits im pretty burnt out so i generally intend to go out but end up just having drinks with my GF and falling asleep around 9 or 10.

Weekends are generally just running errands and trying to make a good amount of food to last me into the week. I also have been trying to fit in a few new experiences where i can, and most recently that has been rock climbing.
  • WarrenM
    Anyway, when I finally settled on to play Tiberium Sun, it turned out it doesn't work on Windows 8.1. All fixes over internet I could find didn't worked.
    PC Master ... race?
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    WarrenM wrote: »
    PC Master ... race?

Hey, I can always dual boot or install on virtual machine. Though I was not at this point of desperation. Yet :D.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya tibSun is old enough it runs fine on virtualBox or vmware, also last time i checked i cant shove a ps1 game into a ps4 and expect it to work.
  • WarrenM
    It was a joke guys.