Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Yoon

Yoon
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Yoon polycounter lvl 9
Hi Everyone! Welcome to my sketchbook.
Please feel free C&C anything you find in this thread. Everyone is very knowledgeable here, I love improving and learning new tips & tricks.

A Data Knife I've been working on, these are Marmo shots
(1x 2048 texture)
(2401 faces)

DataKnife_01.png

DataKnife_02.png

DataKnife_05.png

DataKnife_04.png

DataKnife_03.png

Also been messing around with hand-painted textures, here is my second attempt at a tiling stone texture I've been having fun with. Tip of my hat to
Vertex for the tutorial help :thumbup:
(512)
brick_02.png

I doubt this is the best way to go about doing this. This was my second attempt at a hand-painted stone texture. If you know of better ways to do this give a holla.
I used 'offset' a lot to keep it tillable.
brick_Progression_01.gif

(4 tiles)
brick_03.png

Replies

• Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    Hand painted wood, I originally had it 1/4 of its size, but then realized, thanks to a friend, I had to scale it up in order for the colors to tile properly. The original way I had it set up, each row of wood would be the same variant of color and it would repeat every 5 rows. Which would just scream "HEELLLLOOO I TILE" :D!!

Posting another "progression gif" because if someone wants to c&c any stage I would love to hear from them.

(512)
    wood_08.png

(Progression)
    wood_Progression_01.gif

(4 Tiles)
    wood_09.png
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    Gave grass an attempt, thanks Jeff Parrott for the tutorial! It helped a lot!

Here's my attempt \/
    (512)
    grass_01.png

(an earlier version where the grass was one value)
    http://christopheryoon.com/Polycount/grass_03.png

(4 tiling tiles)
    grass_02.png
  • BeanyCoffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeanyCoffee polycounter lvl 4
    Nice stuff, I really dig the hand painted wood and stone textures! I always love games/models with that aesthetic.
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks BeanyCoffee :)
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    two models I've done for the hard surface weekly challenges

screenshot004.png

JerryCan_closed_03.png

JerryCan_closed_04.png

open versions

open jerry can 01

open jerry can 02
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    Been a long time since I've posted here. I've since switched to VFX, still love modeling, but have been having a blast doing vfx as well. Trying to transfer my skills from Activision's proprietary engine to unreal. Here are some VFX stuff I've been doing recently

• Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    Fireball experiment

https://youtu.be/kzuuuB76ulQ

if anyone knows of a better way of presenting these please let me know, I've been using OBS, but have been getting compression issues (as you can see :'(  )
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    https://youtu.be/1jqsuercwmc

been playing a bunch of destiny lately, thought the bullet impact was pretty cool, tried to recreate it in unreal. still playing around with the amount of gravity to give it
  • Yoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoon polycounter lvl 9
    switching it up with some texture work, been playing a lot of destiny lately and want to create something destiny themed.
    FloorTexture and trimSheet in the works. (in Unreal)

• BCos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BCos polycounter lvl 7
    Yooooon!   the VFX stuff looks awesome! I do have feedback on velocity in a couple places.  Regarding the bullet impact, I feel like the bullet's velocity would result in the little yellow specks/sparks moving way faster.  the transfer of energy would be pretty violent.  Though some of the impacts seem to have more speed/snappiness than others.  That being said, I think you're smart for avoiding too much gravity, similar to my point above, the amount of force here would definitely be sufficient to be unaffected by gravity for at least a brief moment, and in this case, that moment is kind of the full life-span of your impact effect.

in the exhaust effect, just a couple things to consider.  What is the colorful smoke doing before it enters the world?  Is this effect coming from a booster at the epicenter of where forces are being generated and released? Or is it just an exhaust somewhere and the force is created and exerted elsewhere, and this is simply venting some of the bi-product?  Either way that smoke is going to be under quite a bit more pressure (an outrageous amount in the booster scenario)  The little particles that come flying out suggest there's definitely force here, but currently your smoke is unaffected, or at least decelerating and dispersing pretty quickly.

Hope any of that helps!  Take them with a major grain of salt since I'm not in the industry and also have ZERO idea what the software you're using is like.