Home General Discussion

Xbox One

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
wasker polycounter lvl 7
Anyone else watching this? (ofcourse you are)

Looks cool to me, glad they showed it right away :)

Replies

• teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    "Xbox huge" will make a comeback to the modern lexicon :poly142:
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I like the controller. The ergonomics look good, and the D-Pad looks improved. They didn't change it up too much, but they didn't have to.

I like the interconnected nature of what they're trying. Being able to use the XBox One to "manage" all of the entertainment functions in my house seems like a good idea.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I couldn't catch the beginning and still can't watch it seamlessly thanks to my internet connection :/ Let's put a link here anyway:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/may/21/xbox-720-microsoft-reveal-console-live-blog
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty uninspired from the name to the design to the focus on a media hub.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Still no games. I guess this makes it clear that they are going to market this as a media center.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Xbox One.

A vocal remote control. Talk to your TV, watch basketball.

Switch to PS4 to play games.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    I got interrupted by a co-worker, did they say anything about Kinect being required?
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Richard, Kinect is built into the box if that clears your question. They showed some kinect videos showing joint orientation and muscle tension sensing etc.

Oh, some games at last!

EDIT: ...and athlete interviews?!

EDIT 2: Duh, the Kinect is not built into the box but every box comes with a separate Kinect sensor. Sorry if I confused anyone.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Is anyone aware of a Youtube stream that doesn't have commentary. The only streams I can find are filled with people who think I give a fuck what they are saying WHILE the presentation is going on. (youtube is the only video service I can get at work)
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr wrote: »
    Richard, Kinect is built into the box if that clears your question.

Yes, that does answer my question. If it's built into the system itself than it's pretty required. A better sort of required, admittedly.

Trotting EA first was not a good idea. A less contentious publisher would have been better to start off with. Trotting out four sports games was also not a good idea. None of those are a surprise. (or particularly exciting)
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    And it's not as if the sports games aren't coming out on PS4 either.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I was constantly hoping that the interviews with the sports performers would be revealed to be in engine previews. But I guess it's all just "It's your tv now, also sports games."

Doesn't look bad in engine though, not a gigantic improvement either but they're sportsgames so I don't expect much :P
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Sure hope they'll have an XBOX One Slim Edition. The thing looks like a giant shoe box.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if Forza 5 will have particle effects with physics, such as the smoke kicked up by a drift being pushed around by other cars etc. Looks great anyway :)
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Forza is a better game reveal than EA's wares. The franchise hasn't been done to death yet, and racing games are always good for a system launch.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Hum, not super impressed with Remedy. The bridge being destroyed looked cool and all but the real actor segment was hammy and the ingame shots didn't look miles better than current gen. But it'll probably be fun anyway.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe someone from Turn10 can comment on this, but that Forza5 trailer, was it all real time?
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Why wouldn't it be realtime? It wasn't really near the level of precomputed CGI :P and besides they should show off the capabilities of the xbox one
  • Jesse Moody
    Online / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    LIVE ACTION HALO!!!!
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit a Steven Spielberg Halo Series? Fuck Yes!
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Microsoft is really laying on the Hollywood envy thick. This worries me.
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    Seems they are moving away from gaming to me and trying to be a jack of all trades?
    could be wrong tho.

Am i meant to replace my virgin box with this ? lol

its normally never a good idea to try be everything at once.
  • cox
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    all about tv, wtf..
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, if that was it Sony pretty much demolished them in building hype and showing off games.
    That was just a bunch of shit about them suckling on the TV and Hollywood teat, a sequel and sportsgames.

PS4 is looking way stronger at the moment :/

Edit: YES COD CONTENT, LET'S SEE THIS SHIIIIIIT!
  • skankerzero
    For those that don't know, Microsoft will focus on new games at E3.

They're getting all the sports stuff out of the way now.
  • ErichWK
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    For those that don't know, Microsoft will focus on new games at E3.

Good to know, at least we get a look at the new CoD and it's new engine :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    How dare they look at how everyone uses their consoles as a media hub and make their next console a better media hub!!!!!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    So are they calling real time displacement, sub-d?
    Or is this a new thing?
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message

Why? Was it just to appease EA? Everyone knows that EA's sports games were going to be coming. That was obvious. I can only assume that they wanted to throw EA a bone.

I'm a little dissapointed by the presentaiton. I recognize that it wasn't FOR me. But I'm still a tad doubtful of the direction Microsoft is taking with this. I'm also not quite clear on who this presentation was actually for. The Kinect interface stuff at the beginning, as well as the TV integration, seem like they are more for a casual crowd. But the games revealed were clearly dude-bro core gamer focused. (sports games, Forza, Call of Duty) There isn't going to be a lot of overlap there.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wow... what the fuck did i just watch? corporate suicide?
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta say Ghosts looks pretty damn pretty. The fact that it's running at 60fps and has dynamic fluids and smoke and tesselation is impressive to say the least!
  • skankerzero
    Why? Was it just to appease EA? Everyone knows that EA's sports games were going to be coming. That was obvious. I can only assume that they wanted to throw EA a bone.

I'm a little dissapointed by the presentaiton. I recognize that it wasn't FOR me. But I'm still a tad doubtful of the direction Microsoft is taking with this. I'm also not quite clear on who this presentation was actually for. The Kinect interface stuff at the beginning, as well as the TV integration, seem like they are more for a casual crowd. But the games revealed were clearly dude-bro core gamer focused. (sports games, Forza, Call of Duty) There isn't going to be a lot of overlap there.

To allow the other developers time to finish up their demos. Why else? Sports games are easy to show.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Really impressed with how smooth it appears to operate, as far as voice control, quick switching between tv, games, etc. 8 new exclusives in the launch window? Hell yeah. Now I'll have something to look forward to at E3. Glad we got to see it as well, though I'll save my judgements until I know the launch titles for both systems. As far as functionality though, I'm leaning towards Xbox, both systems will play games and they'll probably look about the same, but all the extras, in my opinion, I think the edge goes to the Xbox for now.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Why unveil your console beforehand if you're not able to show any games...
    if they just waited untill E3 they would have been able to show games along with their new console.
  • skankerzero
    if they just waited untill E3 they would have been able to show games along with their new console.

true, but then you would have to compete with the ps4 hardware reveal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdRgCQhOTco&feature=youtu.be&CMP=US_PS4_hardware_20130520_8122024
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    TIL: Gamers need to learn how to manage their expectations when it comes to evolving directions.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    that was s h i iiiiiii t

what a retarded name...
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what am I missing, it was equally as cool/boring as the PS4 demo, although there was a significant lack of dildo sculpting this time around
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message

Obviously none of us can know their true motivations, but my assumption would be that they get all the boring (to some) stuff out of the way, i.e., showing the console, talking about the tech/hardware/etc. Then save the game reveals for E3, as has been the norm. One would hope that their E3 presser will be almost entirely games, as they've already gotten the intros out of the way so to speak. Honestly I wish this is how they did it from now on, one hardware reveal event, one games reveal event, it feels less rushed that way.
  • HardBaller
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Tbh. pretty underwelmed. Ghost was cool but that was about it. The tv/cable stuff isn't even in europe (if rumors are anywhere near true) so that's 1/3th of the xbox made useless. They never mentioned the "always on" stuff but seeing how they talked about the xbox controlling your house practically it really does feel like that "always on" rumor is true and that's a real bad point.

Actually haven't compared hardware yet (seeing it just finished) but it feels like the ps4 is actually stronger statistically seen.

All in all at least the halo show by spielberg seems interesting.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Should of named it 'sexbox!!!' What a wasted opportunity haha

Cod looks great!!!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Really impressed with how smooth it appears to operate, as far as voice control, quick switching between tv, games, etc. 8 new exclusives in the launch window? Hell yeah. Now I'll have something to look forward to at E3. Glad we got to see it as well, though I'll save my judgements until I know the launch titles for both systems. As far as functionality though, I'm leaning towards Xbox, both systems will play games and they'll probably look about the same, but all the extras, in my opinion, I think the edge goes to the Xbox for now.

i dunno man, the entire thing reeked of pre-recorded script. you could even see the guy looking down at a prompter, which probably told him "pull out your phone and make it look like you're doing stuff". at no point did he ACTUALLY search for the things he said he was searching for.

you remember a couple of years ago when they announced the kinect, and they had that star wars game? they were all "the game moves when you do!" but it turned out to be pre-recorded, and the guy forgot which way to move and then corrected himself lol. that's exactly what i think this presentation was.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Surprised no Epic Games. Either they're showing up at e3 or the PS4 did Unreal Engine 4 as envisioned.

Also, did anyone see the sub-division in Call of Duty Ghosts? Finally, games can use this awesome rendering method!
    inBZACK.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Is there any information if the 8 gigs of ram is DDR5 and unified? Anywhere I can rewatch the stream? I missed the whole thing.
  • sulkyrobot
    Offline / Send Message
    sulkyrobot triangle
    HardBaller wrote: »
    Tbh. pretty underwelmed. Ghost was cool but that was about it. The tv/cable stuff isn't even in europe (if rumors are anywhere near true) so that's 1/3th of the xbox made useless. They never mentioned the "always on" stuff but seeing how they talked about the xbox controlling your house practically it really does feel like that "always on" rumor is true and that's a real bad point.

Actually haven't compared hardware yet (seeing it just finished) but it feels like the ps4 is actually stronger statistically seen.

All in all at least the halo show by spielberg seems interesting.

Polygon are dispelling the rumour that it's always on -
    The newly announced Xbox One will not require a constant Internet connection for single-player gaming as was previously rumored, Microsoft announced today

The only thing I can thing that I think is different is that the PS4 uses GDDR5.

Both GPU and CPU developed by AMD in both consoles so I can't imagine them being worlds apart.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    i dunno man, the entire thing reeked of pre-recorded script. you could even see the guy looking down at a prompter, which probably told him "pull out your phone and make it look like you're doing stuff". at no point did he ACTUALLY search for the things he said he was searching for.

you remember a couple of years ago when they announced the kinect, and they had that star wars game? they were all "the game moves when you do!" but it turned out to be pre-recorded, and the guy forgot which way to move and then corrected himself lol. that's exactly what i think this presentation was.

I thought the same thing, but he kept stepping off to the side so the kinect wouldn't pick up his movements, which in and of itself doesn't prove/disprove anything, as I said, it appears to operate smoothly, so we'll have to wait for some hands on reviews post-E3.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    TV, TV, TV ...There is a Dog in CoD!
    I guess that is the innovation in games for Xbox One. But then again they seem to got rid of any hairs for him. That does look more like last gen to me.
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    When games use sub-d, we need to model in quads and and avoid tris? Maaaan ^^
    That´s lowpoly no more.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that the smoothness of transitioning between various functions is a strong feature. It was actually what I found most impressive about the whole presentation. And I do like a lot of the voice command controls. Hands-free operation of a media experience is something that I could be into. Incorporating that into Television control is a solid move.

A the same time, that isn't going to be a selling point for me. I don't have cable TV, and don't intend to start paying for it any time soon. At my house I just pay for high-speed internet, and give the television feed a pass. To be fair, I am more of a fringe case.

I am a little worried that Microsoft might be hitching their horse to the wrong waggon, though. An NFL partnership isn't going to matter anywhere but the US. And the television thing might not help in other countries as well. Perhaps Microsoft is just trying to focus on the home market?