Home Unreal Engine

Question about weapon polys

I apologize if there is a thread exactly like this, but all the threads that I could find were vague and the answers given were usually too broad.

To save time I'll try to give all the details I can.

How many polys would you recommend a weapon have given the following characteristics.

1.) The game will be a Windows game.
2.) It will be a multiplayer FPS with a server size of 32 players.
3.) It will be on Unreal Engine 3 (UDK)
4.) The style of the game's environment will be Earth.
5.) The style of the game's units will be 1990s military with a few futuristic exceptions.
6.) The maps will usually consist of two military bases with civilian villages in some cases.

The weapons in question are:

M16A2
Calico M951
FIM-92 Stinger
AT-4
M72 LAW
OSV-96
Barrett M82A1
Beretta M9
Glock 18
M2 Flamethrower
M67 Fragmentation Grenade

If there are any other details I can give that would help make a better estimate I'll do my best to give them.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your help.

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I would optimise the high poly removing all of the support loops and taking away polys which are not helping for the shape and then see if it is too high poly and then see how many polys it is.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    may i ask why UDK? liscening wise ue4 is cheaper
  • Bfranx
    passerby wrote: »
    may i ask why UDK? liscening wise ue4 is cheaper

Well we're not really worried about licensing, as this is a free game.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Most of what you've mentioned doesn't really help with the weapon polycount question.

Knowing you have 32 players max is a good thing, as your worst case for 3rd person weapons is 31 hand held plus 32 thrown (grenades). You could round off to 64 onscreen weapons at once. Knowing this sort of thing is useful since what you'll really need to figure out is how many polygons you can display on screen at once in your engine, in your chosen art style, on your lowest spec target hardware.
    You can then figure out what percentage of that budget goes to environment, characters, effects, and weaponry.

But if you just want some random guesses based on semi-recent games of similar ilk,

Keep them at a max of around 10000 tris for first person weapons, and 1-2000 for third person weapons. Use only what's needed for them of course, so a grenade will have fewer than an M60.
  • Bfranx
    Vailias wrote: »
    Most of what you've mentioned doesn't really help with the weapon polycount question.

Knowing you have 32 players max is a good thing, as your worst case for 3rd person weapons is 31 hand held plus 32 thrown (grenades). You could round off to 64 onscreen weapons at once. Knowing this sort of thing is useful since what you'll really need to figure out is how many polygons you can display on screen at once in your engine, in your chosen art style, on your lowest spec target hardware.
    You can then figure out what percentage of that budget goes to environment, characters, effects, and weaponry.

But if you just want some random guesses based on semi-recent games of similar ilk,

Keep them at a max of around 10000 tris for first person weapons, and 1-2000 for third person weapons. Use only what's needed for them of course, so a grenade will have fewer than an M60.

Well each unit will have only one weapon, so that should help.

Do you know where I could go to find how many polys can be on the screen at once for UE3?

We're going for average computers, do you know where I could find the limitations of an average computer?

I'm sorry to ask all these things of you and anyone else reading this. I'm just trying to learn.