Home Unreal Engine

Lighting Issues

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nicky_5 polycounter lvl 5
Hey there. I've been working on an environment for the past couple months and have consistently been having trouble lighting my assets. There are light maps in the lightmap channel of the UV sets of all the FBXs with the LOD res of 64, but I'm still having issues with different assets being lit differently in very similar world space to each other. I was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what I am missing or doing incorrectly to light my environment? Thank you. [IMG][/img]osv36uS.jpg

Replies

• David1983
    i had the same problems, try to increase the light map resolution or check your channel 2 UV's for issues.. Check out all 4 tutorials...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDjhOtiyuo
  • Sinking
    Make bigger pieces. There is no reason this wall could not be 3 - 512x512 pieces and that way you reduce the lighting issues. Also, since this is still UDK (problem is gone in U4), you need to close your meshes at the open edges.

And finally, check your lights and start with just one lightsource. Where lights overlap in UDK you sometimes get strange lightmap results. You can go into every light and determine what it influences (e.g. other lights). There is no guaranteed recipe for successful lighting, but to keep meshes close and check your lighting, are two things that helped me.

Another, but this is obvious, because it is repeated everywhere is to SNAP your UV to the grid. Don't just create a lightmap channel on the grid, but snap your islands to the grid. And keep them straight.