Home General Discussion

The Last of Us

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Does anyone know anything about the art book? Its on Amazon for just under $30. Does it have some of the process/techniques or is it mostly concepts?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Art books are usually "just concepts," rarely do they include technical processes. Check the wiki, plenty of entries from NaughtyDog on character rigs, texturing, and environment modeling.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Makkon wrote: »
    Art books are usually "just concepts," rarely do they include technical processes. Check the wiki, plenty of entries from NaughtyDog on character rigs, texturing, and environment modeling.

Yeah, I was just checking because that's how my Halo books are, but the Borderlands 2 one has a lot of technical stuff. I'm hoping this one is more on the technical side.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Watched a friend play it

Visually looks great but also was pretty boring
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    frell wrote: »
    Watched a friend play it

Visually looks great but also was pretty boring

It's different to play a game then to watch it...
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    aajohnny wrote: »
    It's different to play a game then to watch it...
    I did play it*

As far as that first office building goes, that is
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the art book? Its on Amazon for just under $30. Does it have some of the process/techniques or is it mostly concepts?

It's basically all concept art. Still has some good insight into their concept design process, why they made the decisions they did, etc. Doesn't have 3d art like the uncharted books had, and doesn't really talk about technical stuff from the short read I gave it so far. Definitely worth the price tag, though.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Great game so far. Story isn't surprising, getting "The Road" vibes from it. I also get a little lost sometimes like in the subway when I had to sneak around the clickers. I found the exit but couldn't work out where to go from there so went around, using up bullets or HP only to realise the way out was a ladder above the exit. So dark (even with flashy) I could hardly notice it lol.

Oh well. Despite the so-so story the art / atmosphere is great. I'm still not used to the combat though. I end up in a lot of fist fights because I'm always trying to save ammo and stealthing it up can be difficult with human AI. GET OUT OF THE WAY ELLIE!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Beginning was good, higher quality art assets and environment design. Good scripted visual elements.

Then after the beginning, once the back story is over with... the visual quality takes a nose dive into the extremely average. To make it worse, you notice oddly scaled assets. Tables made for 10 foot humans next to tiny chairs fit for you average human. Vending machines where you put money in at around 6 feet, making the vending machines disproportionately large as well.

Great narrative though. Its a shame the art detail wasnt consistent throughout the rest of the game (so far). Then again as an artist we (I) are more likely to pick up on these kinds of details and become more bothered by them as a result.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the game and it is now officially the best game I have ever played. Passes Metal Gear Solid 4 for me. There really aren't many cons to this game. The story was just really good throughout, it had some ups and downs but mainly ups. The AI (Note I was playing on normal mode so that could just be why) at times was a bit stupid, they wouldn't see my companions but they'd see me, it didn't really stop me from enjoying though.

The combat system is just awesome and seamless, I have never enjoyed getting into firefights and fistfights this much in a game before. The story made literally made me everything from happy, sad, and angry. It was incredible considering I am tough to crack, I don't get emotional very often for games especially. I played the multiplayer a bit and it seems like it can get really competitive and addicting, I can't comment too much since I only played a few matches but it was really fun. Overall I think this game deserves every single bit of praise and recognition it has been getting and I felt like I got WAY more than my moneys worth. I can't wait for the DLC and to play the game through again. HUGE thank you to everyone at Naughty Dog and a Amazing job from me. Time to play MP now :D
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    It's basically all concept art. Still has some good insight into their concept design process, why they made the decisions they did, etc. Doesn't have 3d art like the uncharted books had, and doesn't really talk about technical stuff from the short read I gave it so far. Definitely worth the price tag, though.

Ah dammit, got mine ordered, was really hoping it would include more production art like the uncharted books. That's a little disappointing but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it none the less.

Games great so far, I think I'm about 2-3 hours in and played a bunch of the multiplayer which is great, would never have guessed that it would work as well as it does.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    Easily my GotY so far....halfway through. EXCELLENT job Naughty Dog.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    damn this game is good. that intro sequence, looked phenominal. pretty tense gameplay, im playing on hard for a more realistic experience. the every time you smash someones face in with a brick during combat.....so awesome.
  • 3DFM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent game. To me, nothing has even come close to this good in years.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    this game..........THIS GAME.........is second to half life 2 for me. i'm literally in awe of what naughty dog has done with this. i'm not a fan of the uncharted series AT ALL. no offense to that team....just not my thing. THIS however, is so up my alley i really can't even describe. it literally sets a new standard, in my opinion, for: narrative, exploration, combat, scenarios, twists, etc.

once again....naughty dog. EXCELLENT work....EXCELLENT.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Does anyone have any issues with trying to play online? I tried to play it online by going to the "Faction" menu but everytime I try to do it I seem to get some sort of error. No matter how times I try to get on it I always end up with an error. Do I have to finish the single player first before I play online competitively? Anyways I just wanted to check out the online portion of it to give it a try but it seems I am unable to do so :(.

Also after playing the single player campaign for more than 5 hours the storyline kind of reminds of "I Am Legend" as the story unfolds.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    So the game last of us came out not too long ago. I just finished it and I have to say. One of the best games I ever played. Everything was executed perfectly. What I really love was how much expression the characters have. Not only the main characters too. I can't help, but just feel attached to them. Love how they have in game conversations. Adds a lot.
    The team made an excellent job! Hopefully we'll get an art dump thread. =D
    Have to say, really love the design for the infected
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ikr, its amazing also considering it's an exclusive title on a console. Imagine multi-platform. They deserve it!

I've been playing the multiplayer a ton and they have just made it really fun and competitive to play. It's really interesting how you have to collect the supplies from the enemies you kill (nobody can take your deserved loot which is awesome) and use it to take care of the survivors in your camp which populate and repopulate as time goes, there are random events and challenges you have to live up to to keep them alive or minimize damage. Anyways I wouldn't mind if anyone from PC would want to start up a little clan/group.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We should form up a polycount clan!
    Haven't played multiplayer yet, but from what aajohnny said. Sounds pretty crazy. What mulitplayer mode is that?
    Looking forward to multiplayer. Hit me up on psn! pm me
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban wrote: »
    We should form up a polycount clan!
    Haven't played multiplayer yet, but from what aajohnny said. Sounds pretty crazy. What mulitplayer mode is that?
    Looking forward to multiplayer. Hit me up on psn! pm me

It is crazy! I just played with my friend and it was even better, planning things and actually feeling like you are a surviving group, gathering supplies etc, he's always the sniper watching out for me and telling me where guys are and taking them out. The game mode was Supply Raid mode.
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like bioshock infinite the emotional rush was great. The intro of TLoU alone made it worth the admission. I would love to see the infected models, seeing poly flow and texture maps...especially the clicker model, would pay to get my hands on one to look at.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like bioshock infinite the emotional rush was great. The intro of TLoU alone made it worth the admission. I would love to see the infected models, seeing poly flow and texture maps...especially the clicker model, would pay to get my hands on one to look at.
    Here's some awesome character sculpts :)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?1027594&p=1027594&viewfull=1#post1027594
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    So full of cliches and tropes and yet what a surprisingly touching experience.

Bravo.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Ahh you guys!! I have to wait till this Saturday maybe for delivery from Amazon.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    My copy is getting here today... i will play it all night! i can't wait! woots!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Fuse wrote: »
    So full of cliches and tropes and yet what a surprisingly touching experience.

Bravo.

Lol is it just me or is the word trope this new big buzzword people love to toss around these days. up until about a year or 2 ago I had never heard anyone talking about tropes, now everything is referenced as such in articles, write-ups etc.

anyways, fuse is right, some clich
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    No map to map loading - from what I've played through so far. That right there, is amazing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    95 metascore game vs 55 metascore movie - burrrrrnnnnnnnn!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my copy just got here... i am so hyped to play this :D
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, all those small things like characters having conversations while walking truly gives them personalities. Especially when they were playing the darts game.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I loved this game so much. Feels weird that it's over, you kinda get attached to the characters. :(
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13

Soooo gooooood!!!!! Now must level up.....
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Making of The Last of Us. 1 hr 24 minutes long. Be fast because they're being taken down!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es1FbqhawsE"]The Last Of Us | Grounded: Making Of (HD 1080p) - YouTube[/ame]
  • zombieminteractive
    I am stuck on the Hotel basement :/ as I tend to be a wussy with things that are scarey as crap :||

Is there any plan on making a Art inspired by last of us thread?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Super glad everyone seems to be enjoying it :D

The hour and a half behind the scenes vid is a fantastic look into the development of a new IP. Area51 did a fantastic job and please purchase the video to support them so they will continue to do more of these instead of watching it on youtube.

Also, there MAY be a greentooth hidden in one of the levels by someone... who knows who it might be, it could really be anyone. So get scavenging :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Lol is it just me or is the word trope this new big buzzword people love to toss around these days. up until about a year or 2 ago I had never heard anyone talking about tropes, now everything is referenced as such in articles, write-ups etc.
    It is not just you. :) BTW Isn't trope synonymous with cliche? I could be wrong, it is just how it is used that makes me think that way...
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    EHRMAGERD what a good game. I'm super impressed by The Last of Us, I just finished it and..I just want more. I want to replay it again tomorrow, that's a thing I haven't felt for games in a long time. Last time was probably MGS3: Snake Eater.

Great work everybody from Naughtydog! You guys can really make some awesome games. <3
  • Gusti
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The last of Us has one of the best written gay characters I've seen in any video game, it wasn't obvious or thrown in your face, but Bill is definitely gay. I really enjoyed the fact being gay didn't define his character, and was just part of who he was. He is a unstereotypical masculine gay man who is able to take care of himself. Naught dog really nailed every character in this game.
    I just wanted to thank Naughty Dog for making more diverse characters that are well done and respectful of the people they represent.
  • Super
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game is awesome! it's soooo brutal, and unforgiving, and you can't approach all enemies in the same way so far. I love it. I can't wait to go through more of the story. It's gonna be epic.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I searched youtube for "The last of us grounded" just now and did not find it again :(

Sad that they are taking them down as it was such a nice video showing how very passionate they were about this project.

But yeah, that was the name of the video "grounded", if someone wants to see if they can find it anywhere.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't that video come with the Season pass? or am I mistaken? I just bought the Season Pass and can't find it around on my PS3.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Doesn't that video come with the Season pass? or am I mistaken? I just bought the Season Pass and can't find it around on my PS3.

Yes "Grounded" comes with the season pass. You should be able to DL it off the PSN. Some sick Single Player as well as Multiplayer DLC is available with the Season Pass.

Buy the video to help support Area51 who made the vid, we will be taking down every youtube link we can as fast as we can as it dose not help support the great folks who made this video and only hurts the chances of seeing more in the future. If you wish more studios would make these videos than actually support the team who made it so they will make more.

@ZacD
    Really glad you liked Bill, I was super impressed with how well they portrayed the character as well. When I first heard about the Bill I was worried they would do the typical cliche type things for him to make it very obvious he was a gay man to be like "hey we have lots of diversity in this game!" But they didnt, they handled it really well.

Actually a few people I know didnt even realize he was gay until they were told which I think is the best. Its like thats how it should be, being gay doesn't define your character or make you different, its just you have a different sexual preference.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wasn't 100% sure he was gay until the magazine in the car ride, I'm not sure how anyone could miss that. I heard that there's a letter from his partner, but I didn't get a chance to read it.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Stupid psn is down due to the update stuff so can't buy it :( I'm dieing to see that documentary now, I'm about an hour or so in so far but can't wait to get some sit down time with it.

Those head sculpts are fantastic though, I'm surprised you were allowed to go with likenesses so much but they are still unbelievable, likenesses are pain in the butts most of the time but very rewarding in the end. Would love to learn the eye setup aswell. Love how the world is telling its own story as you go too, you guys and gals rock!!!!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Out of curiosity does the making of contain any spoilers?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Er, what likeness are you talking about exactly?

Ellie, Joel, Tess, Bill, Tommy, and the rest are not looking at all like their actors do...
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes it contains lots of spoilers.