Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Noob looking for feedback :D

vertex
Offline / Send Message
FredPez vertex
///---Current Progress---\\\

concept_by_catinacardboardbox-d9a8u2d.jpg

Hi everyone :),

My name is Alfredo and I am new to the awesome Polycount community, during last year summertime I made a fantastic course about character design starting from concept to modeling and I am starting to work in my own projects, as I am still a newbie in terms of design wanted to get some feedback that I could use to improve myself.:thumbup:

So no more talking and let me Present to you all, ladies; gentleman and robots.

The Plant Girl! (at least for now until I come up with another name :D)

plant_girl_by_catinacardboardbox-d8ufcm4.jpg

I want it to be a Creature that protects nature, but don't want her to look to cute rather a mix of danger; agresive; protector and naive looking in some way.

Replies

• FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    ATM I'm working on her "hair" also and her arms, here you have some of the outfits I am designing for her, I'm very happy how nº6 turned out, kinda like that "druid" atmosfere around her kinda conected to the enviroment surrounding her somehow :D
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks pretty cool, not realy feeling jungle though, more like coral reef tbh.
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    lotet wrote: »
    looks pretty cool, not realy feeling jungle though, more like coral reef tbh.

Thanks! Actually you are maybe right though her not having her hair defined yet it all looks kinda reeflike creature, maybe I should aim it that way or change some things to give it a more forest or jungle feeling, though she only has some vines around her body and nothing that really defines her, I will keep working :D
  • Artemis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artemis null
    What kind of environment are you planning to base her around? Or is she going to be guarding/protecting all kinds of nature?
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Actually that is a very good question, it made me think carefully what I really want this character to be.

About her protecting all kinds of nature, in the end I decided I will stick to the flora and leave the fauna aside, that doesn't mean she wont be kind to some animals or so but instead she is more involved with plant life than animals itself.

Now about her relation with plants, I decided she will be more conected to surface life than to underwater, the reason behind this is that I want to make her look that she has been created from surface flora and give her a resemblance to a mythical creature that protects her home from other who try to harm it (and could be quite agressive if she has to).

After all this thoughts it kinda suits her character to be based around the enviroment she was born in and problably being defined by it in greater measure. But I would also add some details of other plant life that will conect her in some way with other enviroments.

Now for her enviroment, after taking a look I want it to be magical and a cross between jungle and forest and for a quick reference I would like it to be like Maleficent's forest in the Disney remake for Sleeping Beauty.

Sorry for this massive reply by the way :D
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Sorry for dissapearing for so long, I had to deal with some personal problems :/.

But everything is mostly Ok now and I'm ready to keep going with my work, got some hairstyles done and probably more in the way as I am doing them as soon as I get an idea for one ( jesus, I never would have thought that making hairstyles was this difficult >.<) Now tell me what do you think about them and see if I can start building up some poses and choosing the elements of design that fit her the most :D

hair_sheet_chica_planta_by_catinacardboardbox-d8w8lnr.jpg

Now see you soon :D
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    HI,I'm back, just got 3 of the hairstyles I liked the most and tried to mix them up seee what I came up with, it actually looks quite nice and I think it fits the character :D

compo_con_color_by_catinacardboardbox-d8xdlpv.jpg

Plus, starting to mix clothing aswell and see if I can start studing her poses and starting to refine the concept :D any suggestions for new clothing apparels or which ones you like the most of the ones above? Personally I like number 6's leave shirt and her left leg, not sure about the pants or skirts though, I think I'm going to study them a bit more and see what I would like the most.
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Mixed some of the elements I liked from the clothing, lets see what you all think! :D

try_by_catinacardboardbox-d8xdzi0.jpg

Maybe it's too heavy or something doesn't work properly with the rest of the elements, I will keep working on it and see what comes out of it :D
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    I think head design no. 7 looks better personally. It resembles a mask made of petals, quite unique I think.
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Hi Pongstah! Thanks for helping me around :D
    pongstah wrote: »
    I think head design no. 7 looks better personally. It resembles a mask made of petals, quite unique I think.

Hm, actually I think I could explore that hairstyle deeper and archieve something quite unique and wonderfull, plus it will fit her character quite well, and could make her look as a Living entity more than a nature creature. Gonna dive into it see what it comes up and if you like it :D

How do you find the clothing tests by the way? Do you like the mix I've made or would you choose other elements? :D
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Got some new Hairstyles and masks for design nº7, I will keep working on it if I get any new ideas :D

masks_by_catinacardboardbox-d8y190l.jpg

otros_pelos_by_catinacardboardbox-d8y1973.jpg

Let me know what you think :D
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work FredPez! I think all your designs looks interesting and varied. What are your plans for this? Are you going to model them or are you going to further refine the concepts?
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    pongstah wrote: »
    Nice work FredPez! I think all your designs looks interesting and varied. What are your plans for this? Are you going to model them or are you going to further refine the concepts?

Both of them, I would like to refine the concept giving it some details and colours so then I can model her in 3d. I will also love to make a ilustration of her with some nice digital painting :D
  • giantleapgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice artworks! Really like the assets. Do you plan to make the game with this character?
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Theoretically speaking, if I was developing a game where she would fit in, yes.
    I'm planing to refine a concept, be able to make a decent and interesting Ilustration about her, and then model her in 3d (probably from a Zsphere as the results probably will be more organic) and then retopologize her, bake normals and occlusion maps so then I could use Mudbox and photoshop for hand painted textures.
    So after all that she could be able to be used in a game or be animated, etc...

Leaving a pair of sketches of the face with a combo of two of the masks that are in the previous post, and the root hairstyle , let me know what you think :D

arbosuuofarcytqyrkddzc3qchuxj81byasxw4jnwn4f_by_catinacardboardbox-d8yu389.jpg

sketch2_by_catinacardboardbox-d8yu3kk.jpg

Don't worry about the proportions, her massive head will be fixed, otherwise she will star having neck problems :D!
  • pitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your character is really starting to come along and take shape.Your definitely moving in the right direction.
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Thanks a lot! I'll keep working on it, trying to figure out which "outfit" would suit her best :D
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Hi!, I'm back, setted up my references but I found out that something was not in place, after a little rest working on other projects came back to this one and I think i really like the new direction I'm going :D Let me know what you think at the moment :D

references_set_up_by_catinacardboardbox-d97pxm8.jpg

This is the image with the references.

new_chica_planta_by_catinacardboardbox-d97pxpg.jpg

Nos you can see I've kept some of the thing I had earlier, and decided to mix the "mask type" face with one of the hairs I had before, making her more "flowerish"
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    Decided to go all the way with this design, you'll see I've changed a couple of things that in the end I decided it didn't look quite good. I have some problem with the anotomy, don't know how to solve it at the moment, any sugestions on the design and peintovers are welcome! :D

concept_by_catinacardboardbox-d9a8u2d.jpg
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the branch on her forehead looks weirdly placed. Maybe you can move it to the center and exaggerate the proportions a little bit if you don't want to remove it, might look cuter like that.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hi there, since you are asking for feedback so directly I thought I should bring a few things to the table. : )

Here are some things I thought might help push the design and execution further patinover.jpg?dl=0

A lot of things are cool but I'll be pointing out some stuff to think about for this piece or future ones .

A - Character expression is so important, it is basically what you want the overall feeling of the picture to give us. Think about when you see a photograph or portrait of someone, when they smile or seem sad, it affects what we feel when looking at the image. So the choice of the expression is very important. Other things like color and pose can contribute to push that emotion further.

In this case, I thought it might be more logic for her to be happy since she has little forest fellows lying around to play with. That was an interesting idea and I like the design of the small creatures. It could've been sadness but if you chose that make sure her body language also tells us that. As long as it is consistent with the action or context of the image

B- The pose, she is currently sitting, seems a bit uncomfortable, creating a magic effect.
    The overall pose was not bad at all, but for a magic spell, sitting down is a bit inappropriate, so replacing the effect with a creature seemed more logic.

C- Also if you draw the character interacting with the environment like the bark, make sure she seems sitting in a proper way because right now it seems like she almost falling off.

Try to simplify your design and ideas to the max and see how that affects the readability of your work. That is the best advice I can give you,

Hope this helps and good work! keep going! : )
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    I would suggest looking into mythological/historical refs, dryads, satyrs, faun and other iceland mystic lore creatures, there's plenty of background information about them and by reading wikipedia-like articles you can really get a sense of how they should look and what they are often doing, if they existed anyway!

To sum it up, try to get inspired by what you read and then the historical/medieval book reference, it helped me a lot to digest a text first, think of an idea to portrait it and then look up for reference poses and other alike online. Maybe it can work for you. :)
  • FredPez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FredPez vertex
    WOW, Wizo I can't express how happy I am at the moment, thanks a lot! You have great points that I actually forgot about, and I will surely will use them for this and future projects.

Thanks also to Miguelnarayan, I have plenty of references of dryads and fauns which I got inspired by to create her, but I have to say I will read a lot about dryads and fauns to see how they supposed to act so from there I could also redraw the pose that I already have following the points Wizo gave me and end up with a better overall feeling.

Thanks a lot to both of you, I'll keep up the good work!:D