Home General Discussion

Art Institute is it good or bad?

Replies

• Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Pancakes wrote: »
    The government is starting to put public school classrooms online. That's where all education is going soon enough. It's pretty silly to think that sitting in a classroom gains you more access to information than sitting at a computer with internet access.

For some fields, sure. However the most effective form of art instruction is still the classical Atelier approach which closely resembles apprenticeships. That's not to say that an Atelier couldn't be recreated digitally but it would be far more demanding of instructors and students than your typical online course.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Aabel wrote: »
    For some fields, sure. However the most effective form of art instruction is still the classical Atelier approach which closely resembles apprenticeships. That's not to say that an Atelier couldn't be recreated digitally but it would be far more demanding of instructors and students than your typical online course.

I agree that apprenticeship is possibly the best way to learn anything and everything. Unfortunately it's not a luxury that neither teacher or student can usually afford.

Classrooms are just a personality test past a reletively low point. For example how much would Earthquake have to charge someone to make giving them so much time worth the trouble? Which students could afford that?

Btw I hate classrooms. Ever since I was a kid I thought they were a sham. An industry hoax played on the government and the people. So I'm pretty much the current education system's singing herald of destruction =p

All hail professor internet!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I haven't really read through the thread but I attended Ai down in San Diego. It's definitely expensive so if you're going to go, make sure you make it worth your while and work your ass off. The school itself is really pretty mediocre...you'll get a few really good teachers so take advantage and learn as much as you can from them. 90% of the students are useless and should fail but Ai refuses to fail people because they want their money. For me, it did help me to learn all the basics I needed for Maya, Photoshop, and 3dsmax at the time. We had internet of course but now its better than ever and if you are self motivated, I think you can easily learn this stuff on your own. The degree is kind of nice but no studio is going to care if your folio is crap. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you can get in without paying tuiton or you get in on some scholarship that covers a lot of the cost.