Home General Discussion

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Replies

• crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Yea I thought they would do something different with rocket instead of just having a normal Bradley cooper voice :( sure it's gonna be amazing though, the comics are definetly worth a read if you are interested, got some lovely art too :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    WHO'S BOOKED THEIR TICKETS YET?! I DID!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHUBlv5_K8Y"]GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - Official "Extended Look" Trailer #3 (2014) [HD] - YouTube[/ame]
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    GO SEE THIS FILM IT'S AWESOME OMG.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Super jealous that you've seen it. I wanted to go see it tomorrow after work, but all my usual babysitters are going during the only time I have available. Go figure!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Was great, although I felt a bit let down by the ending and Amy Pond was flat out bad.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I really liked it, great movie, really fun! Reminds me of my first time watching Iron Man.
    I wish I would have gotten to see Ronan do a bit more though. Any fight he was in he was so overpowered that it wasn't much of a fight. Getting beaten by a dance-off and the power of friendship was a shame. I REALLY wanted to see him fight Thanos, although obviously it would be a lame ending if another villain just came in and beat the bad guy and the heroes did nothing.

Seeing Thanos was my favorite part. I was giddy with excitement. Cool armorered look for him, surprisingly accurate proportions to his comic counterpart. Looks like Brolin will do a great job, although hopefully he isn't just a mustache twirling evil villain through all these movies, Thanos as a character has a lot of depth.

And how about dat howard the duck cameo?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Scheduled to go and see it with my brother and some friends this evening. I'm really looking forward to it. I've been stoked since I first heard of this movie, and I'm not even a follower of the comic source material. But then, I've always loved science fiction. A Marvel movie about an intergalactic rag-tag team of misfits tooling around in a spaceship is right up my alley.
  • almighty_gir
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah!!! Serious! Howard cameo? Time to step out of the thread now.
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    really really good film, saw it yesterday.
    decent amount of comedy, i went in knowing absoloutely nothing about it and having not seen any trailers, so hype levels were low. completely surpassed anything i expected, really well made film!

also how much must that CGI budget have been, jesus christ!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Really fun movie.

I am glad they dident show ALL the movie in the commercials leading up to it. Seems like alot of movies are doing that nowdays.

Sota thought the villain was kind of lame. Anybody else?
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Just got back from the movie. It was fucking awesome! The artists that worked on this movie are beasts. Every set had an amazing style and feel to them. Great acting and writing as well. Definitely my favorite Marvel movie so far.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Its like they made a whole movie of the scene in Avengers where the Hulk smashes Loki, and did much, much more. Such a fucking awesome movie.

A+ would watch again
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also have to say, one of my biggest fears was Dave Bautista. Aside from maybe Dwayne Johnson, usually casting a pro-wrestler ruins a movie. This especially scared me since I'm a big fan of the character Drax, and I had heard Jason Mamoa turned down the role, and he sounded like a much better choice.

I take all that back though, I think Bautista did a great job. He reminded me why I liked Drax to begin with. Also, the punch line often fell to him, with a well-timed comment or his facial reaction to someone else's, and it definitely takes some chops to hit comedic timing like that. I thought the whole cast was great.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the office took us to see Riddick (groan) but Bautista was pretty good in that as well. He recently came back to WWE but he ended up playing a heal when the fans felt his win at Royal Rumble was screwing over the underdog favorite, Daniel Bryan. I think it would be great if he came back as Drax and did some matches, I think the fans would love that.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I think it would be great if he came back as Drax and did some matches, I think the fans would love that.

No offense, but that's a godawful idea. ;)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No offense, but that's a godawful idea. ;)

It's a thousand times better than what they are doing with Damien Sandow! Oh no... I just had premonition, they are going to dress Sandow up as Drax
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    DKBTXGZ.jpg

WHO ELSE IS FUCKING EXCITED?!

ME ! It is gonna be freacking awesome !!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Great movie! Tons of fun and dem sets/costumes/VFX Wow!
    Well paced, funny, and beautifully shot.
    Marine wrote: »
    ...Amy Pond was flat out bad.

Yeah, the gal who played Nebula was pretty terrible. Cant get by on your pretty face when its covered in makeup... Acting lessons pronto!

Same with Ronan...a little lame and 1 dimensional. His look was sub-par and reminded me a little of Eric Bana's Nero from Star Trek. Good actor doing an under-written villain a little too over-the-top.

Dave Bautista, similar complaint. He's pretty obviously not that experienced an actor. His character is made out to be this scary bad ass, but...he kinda seemed to get his ass kicked a lot in this film.

Overall, 9/10 would recommend.:thumbup:
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    AMAZING. Enjoyed it! It even had a great story line! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

Oh and I watched it at the D-BOX (Chairs move and shake.. ect). So much fun!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I feel like:

Nebula's only real role in the movie was to make sure people knew who she is in the sequal, nothing more... she had no impact in the movie and seemingly no purpose, which was kinda disappointing.

Ronin just came across as a thug... i actually think the movie would have ended better
    if Thanos had gotten involved and come to collect the stone from Ronin personally

I think each of the guardians expressed themselves very well, Drax is the biggest divergence from the comics in terms of personality, but they're showing his current in-comic power levels which makes him a lot more interesting. If he'd had his super strength/flight/energy blasts then he would have been a "super", and that instantly makes the Guardians more boring in my opinion. Having the Guardians essentially be just a bunch of criminals brought together by circumstance is way more fun when you think about what they're accomplishing, in the universe they're doing it in.

Overall the movie is incredibly solid, it left me with a way better feeling than any of the other marvel films and i think a big part of that is the lack of "friendly" super powers, it just made it feel more grounded.

The ending seems to have set up a movie based around the character Nova at some point, and it will be interesting to see if they cross over the Guardians (or at the very least Starlord) visiting earth with Ironman in the next Ironman movie.

Definitely want more...
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Still haven't seen this movie yet and I'm a massive GotG fan too. So much shame. Hopefully I'll get around to seeing it this week.

Cannot see how the inclusion of the Howard cameo works, but we'll see, i guess.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Sooo, I worked on this film! :)Plowman Craven did 3d Scanning of basically every prop, cast member, and alot of extras.

This was the first Marvel film we had worked on at the time, and the sheer volume of scanning was a real test for us. It was ace working with so much really, really cool stuff. (Quill's guns were my favourite prop. They were weighty, and when fired they lit up and make a *chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk* force!) The whole project was intense. Very rewarding, but often stresfull with some 16 hour days on site at the studios.

Seeing the film last weekend Just blew any bad memories away. Probably my favourite film in the last year or more, and easily the coolest thing I've worked on so far.

All of y'all should see this asap! :)
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question for you that have seen it. Would you let a six year old watch it? He's seen Iron man, Thor, The avengers, etc. But all of those at home after I've been able to preview them first. But it looks like my only option to see this is to take my youngster or wait until it's on DVD.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Yeah. I can't remember if there's blood. One shit or whore or something and no fucks. a few dirty jokes that no 6 year old would ever get.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    There's nothing in the movie that's unsuitable for a 6 year old, in my opinion.

There are a couple of instances of dick jokes, middle fingers, and other curses. but in terms of violence it's no worse than Avengers or Thor.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    fearian wrote: »
    Sooo, I worked on this film! :)Plowman Craven did 3d Scanning of basically every prop, cast member, and alot of extras.

This was the first Marvel film we had worked on at the time, and the sheer volume of scanning was a real test for us. It was ace working with so much really, really cool stuff. (Quill's guns were my favourite prop. They were weighty, and when fired they lit up and make a *chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk* force!) The whole project was intense. Very rewarding, but often stresfull with some 16 hour days on site at the studios.

Seeing the film last weekend Just blew any bad memories away. Probably my favourite film in the last year or more, and easily the coolest thing I've worked on so far.

All of y'all should see this asap! :)

Congrats man! That is extremely cool!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    skylebones wrote: »
    Question for you that have seen it. Would you let a six year old watch it? He's seen Iron man, Thor, The avengers, etc. But all of those at home after I've been able to preview them first. But it looks like my only option to see this is to take my youngster or wait until it's on DVD.

I agree with what has been said. Basically, swearing is the worse thing. Dick is probably the most abrasive (IMO). There is no sex, but references to having had sex, but as fearian mentioned, probably over a 6 yr old's head. I think Ironman has stronger sex references.
    I took my daughters, who are now adult ages, but I still have my 'dad' mindset, and nothing was cringe worthy, from a parental perspective.

Also, it's always worth checking out commonsensemedia.org. They give a good rundown of movies: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/guardians-of-the-galaxy
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Thanks for the info everyone. Think I'll go ahead and take him, he's been going crazy when the commercials air on tv. And thanks for the link notman.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    IMDB has parental guidelines for every entry. They are user-added, so usually they are very thorough, but be careful, sometimes they're a little spoiler-ish.

Guardians is a little mature for a 6 yo in my opinion. There was one scene in particular (an execution), that wasn't technically shown, but it was pretty mature.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    IMDB has parental guidelines for every entry. They are user-added, so usually they are very thorough, but be careful, sometimes they're a little spoiler-ish.

Guardians is a little mature for a 6 yo in my opinion. There was one scene in particular (an execution), that wasn't technically shown, but it was pretty mature.

Yea, a guy gets executed in a pretty screwed up way. That would give me nightmares as a 6 year old.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oof, yeah that's a bit rough. Well, maybe I'll play it safe then.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, my opinion is: I saw some screweed up stuff when I was 6 and I'm okay (I think). But it's good you're looking out for our child so make whatever decision you think is best.

Honestly though? That execution scene came across as brutal to ME, but I don't think it would have effected me much as a kid, plus it happens so quickly I'm not sure they'd follow.

Although not graphic or brutal at all, I think a child would likely find the first 5 minutes more impactful or scary. Or maybe not. Who knows.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Jurassic Park is way more violent than Guardians of the Galaxy and I know a lot of little kids love and watch that movie.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't think the execution was bad. Honestly, when compared to things in the other Marvel movies, I don't think it's bad. Maybe I'm remembering the wrong scene, but it shows him about to get a large hammer to the head, then it cuts away to his blood pouring down some tracks, in the back of the chair. Not that it's a 'happy' scene, but nothing 'graphic'. I had honestly forgotten about it, until it was referenced here.

Then again, you could always go see the movie yourself, and if you deem it safe, take your kid, and give yourself a second viewing :D (I'm anxious to see it again).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i'm taking my girlfriend to see it (she missed the first showing due to a babysitting duty), and my kids have all decided to come along for a second viewing too haha.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really wanting to see it a second time as well - I haven't felt that way about a movie in awhile. I didn't even see The Avengers a second time till it was on Netflix.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    All you need are reflexes for the violence. Put your kids in a one arm headlock so as to cover their eyes and ears at just the right moments. I know you can do this!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    I didn't think the execution was bad. Honestly, when compared to things in the other Marvel movies, I don't think it's bad. Maybe I'm remembering the wrong scene, but it shows him about to get a large hammer to the head, then it cuts away to his blood pouring down some tracks, in the back of the chair. Not that it's a 'happy' scene, but nothing 'graphic'. I had honestly forgotten about it, until it was referenced here.

Then again, you could always go see the movie yourself, and if you deem it safe, take your kid, and give yourself a second viewing :D (I'm anxious to see it again).

Yea, that's the thing though, it doesn't need to be graphic in a gorey/bloody sense to scare a kid. The kid's imagination will do the extra leg work.

An example, when I was 7 I saw the cover to the Alien's film and some older kids were playing the soundtrack. Something about it terrified me. I really freaked myself out.

I don't think there's much you can show a kid that will "scar" him. But a young enough kid might well get freaked out.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I'm in the same boat, saw it with a bunch of friends on Sat, and can't wait to go see it again with my brother. Marvel can really do no wrong lately. And it was a genuinely funny movie, very well written. I thought most of the humor would be in the trailers, but man, not even close. Great to see a film like this get such a good reaction too. Not that all superhero films need to be in this tone, but not all superhero movies have to be dark and gritty (looking at you Man of Steel).

I'm really interested in seeing what path DC takes going forward with their franchises and trying to create a common universe after seeing what Marvel Studios is doing.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I think if I saw the hammer scene as a kid I'd remember it for months. That said, I still get chills thinking about that goosbumps episode where these kids sneak into a basement... and an episode of superman where lois and clark got abducted. Basically, you never know, it's not that bad, wing it!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I saw so many horror movies when I was a kid - things like Alien, Jaws, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, you name it. But the thing that still haunts me to this day is an episode of "Are you afraid of the dark" where a pirate ghost is haunting a pool. That show was no joke as a kid.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    Yea, that's the thing though, it doesn't need to be graphic in a gorey/bloody sense to scare a kid. The kid's imagination will do the extra leg work.

An example, when I was 7 I saw the cover to the Alien's film and some older kids were playing the soundtrack. Something about it terrified me. I really freaked myself out.

I don't think there's much you can show a kid that will "scar" him. But a young enough kid might well get freaked out.

I guess it's up to each kid, and how he thinks his kids will interpret things. I don't think it would have bothered me, as a kid, but each kid is different. If it had spattered blood, I may have felt different.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I saw so many horror movies when I was a kid - things like Alien, Jaws, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, you name it. But the thing that still haunts me to this day is an episode of "Are you afraid of the dark" where a pirate ghost is haunting a pool. That show was no joke as a kid.

Crimson....f**king....clown.

And this guy:

grinner2.png
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw it last night at the Alamo Drafthouse, it was great! The Drax the Destroyer Rum Punch was a nice drink to enjoy it by as well.

I was probably around 6 when I saw Raiders and the melting face scene didn't bother me to much. I think I was probably 7 or 8 when I saw the Poltergeist II worm scene and that traumatized me pretty badly, I haven't seen it since so I can't verify how bad it actually was.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Finally in theaters here and saw it. Really surprising film, even with the positive hype. The humor was funny, the drama was dramatic, the sad parts were actually sad, and there wasn't too much to pull you out of the moment and make you go "wtf?" Very well written, great acting, and the effects were phenomenal.

Also I didn't know this song, so that was a nice find!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7eloXr2iak
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    That whole intro was fantastic...

Did anybody else catch the skeleton with the horse head? Possibly a reference to this fella (or rather, the species that created him):

Beta.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Beta Ray Bill ever shows up in the MCU, Marvel has won Hollywood.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Bro if BRB ever shows up in the MCU i will be walking out of the cinema with some rather sullied undergarments.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When Thor was first announced, I thought the premise would be too ridiculous to win over general audience, especially after a relatively more grounded movie like Iron Man. I was proven wrong. I worried the same thing about Guardians of the Galaxy... not only ridiculous, but completely unknown. Marvel wins again, and now I say fuck it - Beta Ray Bill is the next logical step. Keep bringing the crazy, marvel. Please.