Home Unreal Engine

Robbie's UE4 learning thread. Creating first level - stadium.

Robbie222
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Robbie222 polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys!

I am completely new to ....the industry. I've discovered UE4 about 3 weeks ago and so I decided this is what I want to do. Even if I just finished law school , this is my passion, I've been a gamer pretty much my entire life, and I know for a fact that with hard work I will succeed in this domain, cause it's the one I love the most.

So about 2 weeks ago I started creating a stadium. It's a map for a FPS that is still on the work.

And so I created a stadium out of geometry brushes. I converted the stands to meshes in order to be able to multiply them. And so the lighting problems started...

5c8858088a.bmpa9d85dee0d.bmp

Then I started applying materials, using mostly materials from the content examples.

8a0c021963.bmp

Inside ( still with unique generated lightmaps )

622f4c21cd.bmp

And so I learned after quite a few hours of work (30ish ) that I should create my meshes in a 3d soft and not convert them from bsp. That was after I learned and spend hours trying to uv lightmap the stair meshes which were converted from bsp in maya.

Here is a screenshot after adding the seats :

689b82ab02.bmp

After multiplying the stand 2-3 times the performance rly went down, and so I learned I have to use 1k texture instead of 2k and make the seat a " prefab " , by using a blueprint. Not sure how to do that yet , but I haven't reached that point yet.

So in the last week I decided to learn how to model in maya, how to make a uv texture map and a uv lightmap .....well .....the basics.

So right now I am in the process of modelling, uv mapping my meshes and also working on the concrete material with the help of the guys from unreal forums for the stands.

Here is my current progress on the concrete material. ( left side stand with meshes created in maya , right side meshes converted from bsp)

4941dc201c.jpg

ebad6fba54.jpghttp:

Btw ... I hate not being able to scale/pan/rotate the materials on the meshes as easy as it was on the bsp.

So ... as you can imagine ... I have a lot of questions. I get stuck quite a few times everyday on different aspects. Sometimes I find solutions in the documentation or on google and figure it out myself ...but sometimes I really need to ask someone for help.

So I made this thread to share my learning experience, my work and to be able to ask random questions unrelated to each other in one topic.

Also ....the breaking bad cabin scene made me buy ue4 and start learning/creating. It was the kick I needed :).

I am working/learning like 12-14 hours a day and I love every moment of it. The more I learn the more excited I get. My goal after finishing the stadium is to learn to create a scene close to as awesome as breaking bad cabin for my portfolio. ( Yes...I realize I am far away from that at this point).

p.s : Can't wait for some constructive criticism.

Replies