Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER Challenge | February 2015 | Warrior

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
ac3ce42f2c4506af25bef173c6083a65.jpg

Polycount Main Google Hangout Link
Great way to stay motivated while you work. It's like a virtual office :)

1. Try to leave at least one critique per post. It makes you a better artist if you have the ability to give constructive critiques.

2. Challenge yourself.

3. Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in real-time. (Marmoset, or game-engine like UE4 or Unity)

4. Try your best to finish on time. For this time, we set the length to be 2 months. So, finish this by end of March.

5. Post your work-in-progress in this thread. (feel free to cross-post in WAYWO or Facebook or w/e)

6. Choose your own triangle count and texture size. Be reasonable and stick to your budget. Some suggestions are as follows:
Mobile: 2k Triangles, 512 Maps
Low Res: 8k Triangle, 1024 Maps
Mid Res: 16k Triangles, 2048 Maps
High Res: 32k Triangles, 4096 Maps

7. Similar to #6, you may pick an art-style yourself. You are, after all, an artist too. (Realistic, Stylized, Cartoony, etc)

8. Learn as much as you can. Share what you've learned.
**Note** The discussed anatomy practice/challenge would be in its own thread/challenge; when we figure it out...

For this month, we have just one concept art for you. Though feel free to make this as a bust or as a full character; depend on your availability.

Sword of Jehammed by Marko-Djurdjevic |
http://marko-djurdjevic.deviantart.com/art/Sword-of-jehammed-Final-485545969
3885575fe0f9b06029254ebab7231c8a.png

GOOD LUCK. AND HAVE FUN.

Replies

• Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    YES, i'm so excited. With the comicon, it's gonna be a tough month.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tough 2 months, you mean :P
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like fun!, nice new project to test out the new ZB7 :D

I like the bust or full idea, nice options for beginners or limited free time :D
  • DireWolf
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjngs polycounter lvl 2
    Let's kick this thing off shall we. I've spent the last hour or so trying to do a break down of the image, trying to find out what materials the clothes are that he's wearing. I'm having trouble identifying what his pants and sleeve is made of though. I was thinking leather at first, but didn't think that it had the right type of folds. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions?
    yxJVNlI.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    Will be handy to have the hi res image at the start of the thread as well :P
    (first thing to go when I get home is that white background though :/ )

sword_of_jehammed_final_by_marko_djurdjevic-d812xo1.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjngs wrote: »
    Let's kick this thing off shall we. I've spent the last hour or so trying to do a break down of the image, trying to find out what materials the clothes are that he's wearing. I'm having trouble identifying what his pants and sleeve is made of though. I was thinking leather at first, but didn't think that it had the right type of folds. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions?

I'm thinking of pretty thick clothe.
  • Butter-scoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh! I am so exited! will be my first time contributing :)
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    I keep trying to do these and not finishing lol. This time I got it 2 months, stylized mid res pbr hand painted hybrid.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Nice concept! I'll start this as soon as I finish my current personal project :)
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Haven't sculpted a face in a long time, so I'm gonna take a sloppy swing at doing a bust and try not to cry that much in the process.
  • creamsodaser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay i got a face! (well ... kinda)
    This will be my 1st attempt to use zbrush, let see if months of reading (and having a crappy computer) can be put up to use.

iD4Yhig.png?1
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    creamsodaser, use a different mat cap. It's giving people not useful lighting information and it just looks messy.

Stick to a grey clay matcap, try to keep it readable for now. That includes no polypaint. You can worry about that later, doesn't help your sculpt right now by hiding the surface with paint.

Nice progress though.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    I was about to do a character in order to be able to follow the UE4 tutorial called "Setting Up a Character" (to be able to move inside my environment) so I may as well join this challenge and use him as my movable character :)

Only thing is, I am still noob when it come to characters,so if you guys have any useful link to help me along the way (of getting a next gen game ready playable character), it would be most appreciated :):thumbup:
    The things I have the most doubts about is "clothing making" (game ready,I mean clothing that I can make move in a later time), optimal edgeloops for animation (not only the joints but also the face),and maybe a bit of "overall workflow" to get the thing done... xD I'll be more specific later on when I start facing the walls :poly124:

Edit: Question: may I do some minor changes,like him dual whielding swords instead of hammer and shield,maybe a different "tatoo detailing" on the exposed arm and so on? :poly122:
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Question: may I do some minor changes,like him dual whielding swords instead of hammer and shield,maybe a different "tatoo detailing" on the exposed arm and so on? :poly122:

Yeah man. Go nuts at it. Have fun tweaking around to your heart's content :P
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Yeah man. Go nuts at it. Have fun tweaking around to your heart's content :P

Awesome! :):thumbup:
    Also I hope that the creator of the concept will forgive me for being butchering and overpainting his work :poly122:

I'm thinking about abbandoning the marauder/barbarian vibe and I'm trying to move toward an elegant (in his way) and seasoned sword master. I'm at 50% of the overpaint,I want to put something on the shoulder,the knees,also 2 more swords on the side of the uncovered arm for a total of 5 swords,I think I will get rid of the dagger,seems like a weapon for sly/deceptive character who stabs you in the back,while the guy I want to portrait value honor and integrity (during the fight) the most, sees the swordplay as his religion and pride so...yeah,no daggers :)

akG7kYL.png
  • Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your paintover so far, specially in the hair part.
    I start the sculpt, i will post it soon.
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    Getting started on this one just some base meshes for the props.
    screenshot_01.jpg
  • devingeesr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devingeesr polycounter lvl 13
    chrisjngs - thanks for the breakdown!
    creamsodaser - I agree with JadeEyePanda using the grey clay mat cap will help.
    Marcus Aseth - to be honest no amount of watching tutorials will compare to just getting started. You just have to jump in, watch tutorials to see what techniques will help you. I usually skim through them any way because a good bulk is them doing the same thing. Learn the human body post your work and seek out other artist that will help you grow by telling you the truth about your work. Good luck man! Nice paint over by the way!
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    Marcus Aseth - wow loving that paint over, like before mentioned, the hair especially is standing out to me aswell! good job
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    2 months ay? ...hrmmm...
  • Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Humm i will go maybe for the klown paintover if you don't mind, but i still don't know.

Blocking out things.

1.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little up,did some more overpaint :)
    I thought he needed a name,so my version is called "Blackwind" Amon and that 2 handed sword he carry around is the Black Bloom. The other 4 one-handed sword are just throwaway swords,usually he leave them stucked in the body of giant beasts (like in Shadow of the Colossus) and his real sword is the two-handed one. Noone can say to really have fought against him until he draws the Black Bloom,and only few are worthy of facing that blade.
    Well,I think I'll figure out the other armor pieces later on,now I'll start with the 3d :)

HhhXroy.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the doublepost ^_^'

Quickly built my basemesh in max (the on on the right) and started sculpting a generic body from memory,though now I think I'll turn to reference because otherwise would become frustrating very soon (since I feel like I'm randoming anatomy at every stroke,painful :poly141: )

wu5LwVN.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbow too high man. It should line up at around belly button.
    Love your paintover concept :)
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    @Marcus Aseth

1. His arm might be a little short overall, so I think you could lengthen the upper arm without shortening the lower arm.
    2. The hands seem a bit small and short. (If you think arm length is good, maybe take a bit of forearm length away and give it to the hands, to make them longer.)
    3. Navel might be a little low.
    4. Crotch might be a little high.
    5. If you add a bit of resolution for your next post, could you make sure you define the nipples and the anterior superior iliac spine? It would help us give better feedback for proportions.

For an 8 head proportion, things just seem slightly off, but overall not too bad.

I'm just learning all this stuff, so hopefully my advice is accurate :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I now have put into account some extra days like 6-10 days to just focus on anatomy studies with sculpts of single parts of the body (like just the arm or just the torso) to get some better understand before going back to that model and start fixing stuff,since I don't want to just copy the forms from a reference but I actually want to better understand the anatomy and the why for the forms that I see in a reference
  • GrzegorzJeka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrzegorzJeka polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys,
    I have been just browsing polycount for some months and now i have found some courage to acctually participate in challenge and show some of my work, hope you like it.
    So I have done some objects (lowP so far) and I am a bit afraid to move forward cause I am not sure about my model's torso anatomy and proportions.
    C&C most welcome.
    http://imgur.com/86gHUuZ
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    @GrzegorzJeka I'm gonna give you some advice. When you sit down to make your next round of changes, try to do them quickly, because there will definitely be more changes to make afterwards. These first round of changes will simply help you get into a better starting place.

I'm glad you found the courage to participate, so please hold onto the courage while I provide you with feedback.

1. The original concept follows 7 and a half head proportions, so I strongly recommend you follow that as well.
    2. Provide us with nudes. Without seeing where you have the navel on the full body, it makes it difficult to provide anatomy feedback.
    3. Provide us with Front, Side, and Back views with no perspective.
    4. Take a look at the image I provided. For the 7.5 head proportions, it measures 4 heads down from the top of the head, and then 4 heads up from the bottom of the heels.
    5. Nipples should be down 2 heads length from the top of the head, Navel should be 3 heads down.
    6. Knees will be 2 heads tall from the bottom of the heels.
    7. So, make these changes and get back to us. Good Luck!

eKAo8FF.jpg
  • chrisjngs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjngs polycounter lvl 2
    @Marcus Aseth: Awesome paint over! it seams like it would be a pain to carry all those swords thoug. If you decide to keep them, I would really exaggerate the size of his back and shoulder muscles. Since each one of those swords would weigh around 10 pounds, he would have a constant workout on his back and shoulders.
    @GrzegorzJeka: his forehead seams a little pointed. I would also agree with josh.0, since you're still working on proportions, it would help if you present your model without any of the accessories, ie. the clothes and belt.
    also you can show your image by using the im g] code.  I've finished my breakdown of the concept and my base mesh. Gonna move onto blocking in the anatomy and then the accessories next week.tDvXsKB.jpg

vCnSaCB.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed my mind,no point to go all precious about the blockout I had and practicing on other models before touching it again since the point of the model I had is already to learn ,so I decided to just hide parts of it and focus on one at the time.
    Now I'm working the torso,but stuff doesn't add up,like I think I totally fucked up on the rear head of the deltoid,the trapezius muscle and all around in the back,so I want to go over torso anatomy tutorials once more before keep working it.
    You guys know about some good anatomy tutorial I should watch for the occasion? :)

EyDvuoL.png
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    So yeeeeeaaaaaah, i need to level up bad. So I'm joining in with these as much as I can. I need to start completing things.

Here's my sculpt for my body so far. Just took a model I made previously and I've touched it up a little. The face is still weird. The eyes are bothering me a lot. I was loosely basing his face off Christian Bale.

Any crits I can get I'll be happy for, and I'll also try to give any back (though I still need to upgrade my artistic eye lol)

a3_zpsfpji7jz0.jpg

a2_zpsotes1x9j.jpg

a1_zpsgg7micsx.jpg
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    @Marcus Aseth For anatomy tutorials, I would recommend Scott Eaton. I really haven't found anything better yet. Rafael Grassetti (https://gumroad.com/grassetti) has tutorials, but I don't think he goes in depth enough. He'sa very good artist tho.

As far as your back anatomy goes, you really need to focus on tendinous spots like the spine of the scapula. All the muscles you're have problems with connect to the scapula.

The three major muscles from the scapula are gonna be the trapezius, rear deltoid, and the teres major. The Teres major attaches to the lower edge of the scapula and connects to the humerus. It tucks underneath the tricep onto the humerus (so kinda in the arm pit region).

The Infraspinatus (marked at number 7 below. is similar in attachment to the Teres major, but it's gonna be flatter, because it's a muscle that doesn't get very developed. The Spine of the scapula will be indented because it's tendinous.

Here's an image from Anatomy4Sculptors:
    xlarge-Torso-Anatomy-features-235.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the infos josh,funny thing is that I know the theory of what you said from other anatomy tutorials but is like I fail to apply it because is too much for my brain to process in one go :poly136:
    But I'll just stick with it and strive for improving that model until it reach the level it need to reach,no doubts on that.
    Also awesome reference,that goes straight into my ref folder!
    Side note,I think you mixed up Teres Minor with Teres Major? :poly122: :):thumbup:
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    @Marcus Aseth Sure did, thanks for noticing. Fixed it for other people who might read it.
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    @Z3NZY Please provide front and side views with no perspective. It's difficult to give feedback on the face with the images you provided. But, I can kinda see that the bottom lip might be too pouty. The nose has a weird indentation on the sidewall. And the lower eye lids are puffy. I would suggest using spheres as the eyeballs instead of trying to sculpt the eyeball in the socket. It makes it pretty damn hard to get the shape right like that.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    I'm joining this time, i can only work on it on weekends tho and had an unespected family trip this one. May do the bust only because i need to practice faces mooooore.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked a bit the overall,trying to pay attention to proportion,below what I got so far. I think that the forearm shold be a little shorter,the navel a little higher and same for the knee and the "handle of love" (is that the name?! xD),am I right?
    Do you guys see everything out of place that I missed?
    Also no idea of the muscles outside the torso,so now I advance with tutorials before sculpting more

1llcoBh.png
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    @Marcus Aseth For right now, I'm only gonna give more proportion help, because my anatomy skills are still pretty crappy. But, I did a little sketch over your image to show a couple things I think would help.

1. You can relax your dude a bit, his arms are too straight, and his forearms come up at an unnatural angle. Relaxing him a bit will also help making him feel a bit more alive.

2. Front delts can come down and you can emphasize the attachment to the humerus more.

3. Pec mucles can attach to the humerus at a lower point, which will give him a manlier/broader chest.

4. A developed upper chest attaches to the top border of the first half of the clavicle, and bulges out, almost causing more of an indentation at the clavicle rather than it stick out. So, depending on how developed his chest muscle is, you can hide the bottom border of the clavicle with more muscle.

5. Be careful when making chest and shoulders bigger that you don't make his upper body disproportionately wide.

fIZuEBi.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback josh,I'll look deeper into all those points you mentioned when I start working it using the photo references (in this phase is kind of an inbetween of the model that I'm doing an a "playground" to apply the anatomy video I'm watching) :)
    Be careful when making chest and shoulders bigger that you don't make his upper body disproportionately wide.

I'll probably need to break it in order to learn where to stop lol But I think it won't happen since I was already thinking to shrink the upper chest a bit :poly124:
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    Trying out a minimal model. ~450 triangles
    vIyvWvt.png

I need to work on texturing.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Don England, don't add more black when you do shadows.

Add more dark blue.

Inverse for highlights, add more red.
  • n2k3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n2k3 polycounter lvl 4
    I'll be participating in this 2 month challenge, and it's a been while since I did some 3D (life getting in the way). Looking forward of doing the whole process for getting a game ready character.
  • creamsodaser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just realized that this warrior guyis actually Pierce Brosnan.
  • josh.0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    @DonEngland Mind showing us the wireframe?
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    @Brian "Panda" Choi: Thanks for the feedback. I made some changes to the palette.
    @josh.0: Here are the wires.

Wires: I may reverse the knee triangle or drop the knee pads.
    vt9Sj1O.png

WIP: Updates for the waist up.
    H6Ma1Iv.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Don: cute xD

Damn,the optician yesterday got my glasses to replace my lenses so I'm out of business for 1-2 days x_x Don't leave me too far behind guys :poly122:
  • n2k3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n2k3 polycounter lvl 4
    After a couple of hours looking at naked dudes, this is what I've come up with as my first basic mesh for a male character. I started from SuperAverageMan ZBrush project, and didn't touch the face, feet and hands yet.

Also thanks to josh.0 for the useful schematic proportion picture in this post :)

aOJW9mR.png
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    2cfegcl.jpg

Blocky block block, almost there, need to make unique leg straps and folds, strap buckles, shield details and stuff and all the other stuff I've forgotten.

Lets get some posts happening!