Home Dota 2

Polycount Community Chest Event

Replies

• pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    so right now, i'm working an idea for a magical cauldron courier chap, this is as far as i've got so far!

not sure if i'm on the right lines, or how likely these sort of things are to make it into the workshop these days, so thoughts etc. welcome...

sketchbook thread >> http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1798225#post1798225
    workshop page >> http://steamcommunity.com/id/pixelherder/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570
    Currently just collaborating with my usual animator, but possibility of expanding that out (particles?)

concept_final01_wip2_zpskeprrvbj.jpg

concept_sheet02_zpsj1lubk3u.jpg
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i like alot number 7 8 and 9. maybe i even prefer 9 the most. number 3 that u are using in the big one is fitting too, but i feel its a littlebit too generic. 1,2 and 4 look cool, but i think a cowboy as well as a demonlook isnt exactly what u are looking for. 5 and 6 are working. 7 is working rly good, it gives him some rly nasty look - i like that alot. 8 is not directly fitting very well, but i like the wizard one alot :) and as i said in start number 9 is my favourite over all. its simple but very good readable and it sells his character perfectly. i would love if u go with that :).

btw if u are going to take part in the chest event it would be nice if u read the first post and drop us some information if u are going to do this alone of if u are looking for a team / already having a team. so i can add u to the spreadsheet :)

greez
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock wrote: »
    i like alot number 7 8 and 9. maybe i even prefer 9 the most. number 3 that u are using in the big one is fitting too, but i feel its a littlebit too generic. 1,2 and 4 look cool, but i think a cowboy as well as a demonlook isnt exactly what u are looking for. 5 and 6 are working. 7 is working rly good, it gives him some rly nasty look - i like that alot. 8 is not directly fitting very well, but i like the wizard one alot :) and as i said in star number 9 is my favourite over all. its simple but very good readable and it sells his character perfectly. i would love if u go with that :).

btw if u are going to take part in the chest event it would be nice if u read the first post and drop us some information if u are going to do this alone of if u are looking for a team / already having a team. so i can add u to the spreadsheet :)

greez

thanks for the feedback, and apologies for not submitting all the right details - will amend my post now!
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @nopieforyou:
    Try exaggerating some shapes, add splinters wear and tear, etc. You can also try some color variants such as patterns or an insignia.

@pixelherder
    Nice concept, I really like cauldron :) with that said give it a polycount face! I also like 7 or 9, he'll look like a shady character. If you do want to make him a leprechaun give him a single gold coin.
  • Ewing
    @pixelherder: That thing is so boss! I really like the beard from #9, but I also really like the bowler hat in the original concept, and hat from #8. Looking forward to more!

@ Seeingtriangles, MDK, Pior: Thanks so much for all the feedback guys! All was totally fair and helpful. I agree the head was looking really hedgehog-like and just sort of off. I took Pior's advice and went back to collecting more references because I really don't have a concept since this courier grew out of a ward that started as a cat tied to a cross, but sort of changed as I was sculpting.

This is only my 2nd time sculpting at all other than messing around just learning the tools, and my first time really going through the process of baking down from high poly to low poly, so this is a HUGE learning process for me. At any rate, I took all the advice given, spent more time on the fur, fixed his face proportions, and baked down what I have so far to see how much of it translates.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's very appreciated.

I got the lowpoly down to 2010 tris, so I will have enough tris and UV space left over to make a little moth buddy to follow him around and carry him for flying.

This is shadeless diffuse only, and the texture is very placeholder.

courier_3_zps33866688.png
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Decided on a hero and the direction I'm going in. Still looking for someone to collab: Clean up revise concept and/or promo art.
    arabian_alchemist_roughdraft_high%20res.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    since this courier grew out of a ward that started as a cat tied to a cross

I'm sorry, what? Why is jesus cat not happening?
  • Ewing
    lolol I agree, but when I started looking for references I found that some extremist groups are tying dogs and cats to crosses, so it was just looking more political than I thought appropriate.
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    @Badcogg: really needs some of that Arabian flowing/draped cloth and jewels. You could also change the sickle to a really heavy saber. I like the idea a lot thought :)
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vovosunt,
    Updated it a little. I see what you mean, I went a bit overboard on the shape of the scimitar.

Replacing the goblins body is doable, so I think he needs some really puffy sleeves and pants, and maybe pointy curled toes. Not really sure how/if I should add too much cloth to Ogre. He's more of the hard armor type.

lod1 for the helmet/rug/vest belt is 400. Could be a very tight squeeze. I like the belt but that might interfere with his current back belt items. I think the belt would be about 100, and the helmet at least 200, not much room for vest/carpet.
  • oDD
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    I will try to create something. I don't want to be in a team because I don't know if I will be able to fully commit to it and I don't want to disappoint potential team members. Good Luck every One!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    holymoly we got nearly 90 sign ins now :)

i did also some progress on the lion. i reworked the arm shapeing a bit and added a shoulderslot. then i added another headversion, i rly like that one alot. i did also draw some weapon concepts but after all i am not happy with them. i will go on try out more.

ztK9SFN.jpg
  • JayKLegendary
    Hi guys, I've decided to get back in the game and created a concept for Chen for the chest event.

Looking for someone to collab with.

4NPPiB5.png

The idea for it is "Tribal", and why an Armadillo, you ask?
    According to this website http://www.crystalinks.com/totemanimals.html Armadillos are animals of safety, boundaries and medicine shield. Also its actual shape fits a Chen mount perfectly :)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    txKJUOY.png
    Drow ranger progress
    tumblr_njcb1zj6sS1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    also some head reworks
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

i did also some progress on the lion. i reworked the arm shapeing a bit and added a shoulderslot. then i added another headversion, i rly like that one alot. i did also draw some weapon concepts but after all i am not happy with them. i will go on try out more.

ztK9SFN.jpg

Looking good!

I really like the last head concept, which u app also took for the main concept.
    For some reason the first one head is cool as well, but it will be pretty static when not animated.

The weapon I'm not too sure about, but u are on a good way :D
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    @shock. have you tried combining the teeth and the cristals together for the weapon slot? for example the lower jaw of mouth from II / IV, but with those orange cristals coming out of the other side, from inside the neck.... i think that might be a good synergy
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    tumblr_njcb1zj6sS1r43xj0o1_1280.png
    also some head reworks

Female Solid Snake/Big Boss?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Female Solid Snake/Big Boss?

it's show time
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hey it worked for TF2, Don't see why it can't work in Dota. Fits the character for sure!
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixelherder
    Nice concept, I really like cauldron :) with that said give it a polycount face! I also like 7 or 9, he'll look like a shady character. If you do want to make him a leprechaun give him a single gold coin.

i like the idea of polycount logo, dont think i could get it as expressive as i'd like on the cauldron BUT i do think it might look cool as a stiched design in the back of his jacket..Also, maybe on an embossed golden lapel badge, or his belt buckle ?!?! So many choices!

will work up some sketches!

Ewing wrote: »
    @pixelherder: That thing is so boss! I really like the beard from #9, but I also really like the bowler hat in the original concept, and hat from #8. Looking forward to more!

thanks, theres a bit of varied opinion on the specific heads, but its sounds like people think the overall design is ok and thats the important thing!
  • whatever

ztK9SFN.jpg

What is that material supposed to be? :D
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @Reza: that is one unorthodox concept for puck, especially his wings. They remind me of the eul scepter :) the head looks nice but it seems quite different from the wings and tail. There doesn't seem to be much connection between the head piece and the rest of the set.
    LouKs wrote: »
    Reza: Interesting concept for puck, I play a lot with him and would be very pleased, except the wings look a little strange.. Try making the front of it a little bigger! Wings tend to be bigger on the front and smaller at the back

thanks guys

It's actually both eul and shattered blink dagger :D
    yep the wing is strange, cause this was a very quick visualization of some stuff we had in mind. Nothing solid yet. We'll get back to this after next week ;)

sorry for the responding late
  • down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    @No Pie For You! i think u need see some refs. Try adding a temporal hair. possible with them hairstyle will look more natural aD2Pld8IRJ9p23.jpg
  • Hunter-Killer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks to Shock for bringing this to my attention and setting it all up, some really nice work coming along already!

Wanted to get cracking on something before I posted here. Mocked up a very early concept for a ward (I'm not much of a drawer!) the Polycount Gremlin.
    As you can probably tell this is very early stages so still blocking out the base shape but thought I'd show my work before getting too carried away.

pcgrem.jpg

Anywho please let me know what you think and I'm happy to join forces with whoever will have me, will need an animator to bring this little guy to life and if anyone else wants to get involved in this project or anything else feel free to drop me a message or add me on Steam. Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hunter-killer/myworkshopfiles/

EDIT: Alternative version

buckethead.jpg
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    down_limit wrote: »
    @No Pie For You! i think u need see some refs. Try adding a temporal hair. possible with them hairstyle will look more natural aD2Pld8IRJ9p23.jpg

That`s.... not a bad ideea. Thx man, i`ll look into it.

As for the lack of fancy schwancy details.... i took a look at the other wd sets+ the original, and i`m starting to think that for the doctor at least, simplicity and asymethry is the real name of the game.. so ill go with just some texture details on that.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got the weapon base meshes in place.
    Alch_Weap.jpg
    650/500 tris for the 3 pieces.

After careful consideration and looking closely at polycounts I'm going to have to skip the vest and belt on the Ogre. The head/sadlle slot is 800 (fine) and 400 (ouch!). I figure the low poly helmet will be at least 200, doesn't leave much room for vest/belt.
    I think this works anyway as the Ogre is just the muscle and he gets from the deal a fancy golden set of armor.
    The goblin himself is the Djinn, so he will be dressed in the fancy flowing garments.

Lore: I've tried to create new lore for this set that fits with the original lore.

On his quest for gold Razzil stumbled across a trove of treasure. Catching his eye was a golden lamp, as he polished it a thin veil of smoke poured forth and from that smoke appeared a Djinn. The magical deity promised Razzil great fortunes and a golden castle if he would grant the Djinn his freedom. Greed glimmering in Razzil's eye he hastily accepted.
    A great laughter arose, encompassing Razzil from all directions and making his head spin and eyes go blurry. When he came to he found himself trapped within a Golden Castle, or rather a golden lamp. Now free the Djinn tossed the lamp into the depths of the deepest, darkest hole he could find. For many ages Razzil remained trapped within
    the cursed vessel of his greed.
    A great Ogre, enslaved and forced to mine ore in a great cavern, stumbled across a gleaming object. Cleaning the object he found a glimmering golden lamp. Once again, as the lamp was polished to a blinding sheen, smoke emitted forth. Razzil had been released and with his new found power he promised the Ogre his greatest wish.
    The Ogre simply wished for freedom from his captors and the mine, rejecting the offer of the gilded cage. His wish was granted with one caveat, that he must help Razzil in his search for gold. Razzil's greed had not been quenched in his prison but only strengthened. Razzil gave the Ogre the power of rage and the Ogre became enslaved to do his bidding. Thus the two were joined by a pact on the search for gold.
  • stkopp
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4
    Hi everyone.

Personally I am 3d and 2d artist (modelling, sculpting, texturing, concept...)
    I'm "lower advanced"(I guess) blender and photoshop user, and new in zbrush(my first work in zbrush is terrorblade demon form, which have been presented by good_chameleon later in this topic)

Here is my (old)polycount thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124983
    and workshop:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/stkopp/myworkshopfiles/

I wanted to test my skills in animation...but this month and next one I will have little time for workshop. So, I'M SEARCHING FOR AN ANIMATOR for my courier.

I think I will participate in your "chest flash mob" with this courier:

(work name - dvalvings)
    0iF0ve1.jpg
    0GXWeKH.jpg
    OARm6e9.jpg
    sample animation pose:
    fwGinDh.jpg

I really hope to find the animator for this courier.
    I already have "run model", "fly model" is in progress (need to do some retopology and texturing) + finished textures (without masks)+run model is fully skinned, with bones + I did "simple" rigging with IK and constraints in blender (If you are blender user like I am)

and p.s. I am easy-to-talk person, so If you have good concepts feel free to ask me about collaboration, If I have time I would love to collaborate...also I'm easy outgoing not only for the collaboration also I can help with blender or photoshot, give advice etc. so be free to ask me anything.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    ok we are now 90 signed artists for this event. this is rly great :)

@andy125 thanks mate. yeah im hard working on it
    @nopie gona try it tomorrow
    @whatever the material is some kind of demonplague lion is enchanted with by a demon
    @badcog rly interessting alchi u have there!

i also spend lots of hours again, reworked the backslot abit as well as the colors, contrast and the number of teeth of the hand. i tryed to make it a littlebit more block so it will look less noisy. so i got a point now where i rly like all the slots, just the weapon im still not happy with, guess i have to try more on it in the upcoming days.
    feedback is welcome as allways :)

eUt6ghM.jpg
  • stkopp
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    oh stkopp thanks mate :) ur right i think i will adjust the cape.
    about the arm i dont know. in my imagination its not a full soft material
    maybe more a tree root or hardened flesh. so i dont think it will need any special animation.

BUT we are going try to do something at the shoulder by skinning the mouth upper and lower jaw seperate from each other. maybe with some smart weighting we can make that mouth chewing a bit nom nom nom :)
  • JayKLegendary
    Oh, um, Shock? Can i request a slight change in the spreadsheet? There seems to be a little misunderstanding. I am the "jayk" who's working with hayes and darkkyo on the courier :) I guess the name change there made it a little bit complicated lol.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Shock: I think I can see what stkopp means about the animation, it definitely looks like it's mouth that should open and close, maybe custom animations are worth thinking about.

Here is my latest progress, not much more to show, added some folds etc to the cloth and added where the alpha will be on the tears. I'm not sure what to do with the bracer at the moment as it's definitely the part I feel is lacking.

Y7BLem7.png
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    MdK wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to do with the bracer at the moment as it's definitely the part I feel is lacking.

Maybe some sort of blue or red gem on the bracer that looks like it is holding a static charge?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @ stkopp,

They look pretty cool. The track seems unnecessary though. Why do they need it? the cart has wheels. Couldn't they just roll it? wouldn't it roll back off the track at that angle? Maybe you could use those polys to give them a little more shape, some parts of them are looking pretty low poly atm (very straight lower arms, the bandana/head connection).

@shock, thanks, have some more progress here...
    I think you can probably get some anims out of the shoulder, mainly I think you need to model it more open (so when he raises arm it closes). Might also need some sideways wiggle room between teeth for when arm goes back/forth.
    I think it's possible to use the major finger bones to animate the hand. He doesn't move his hand a lot in game from what I can tell, idle is just minor open/close.
    Same with shoulder, model it open a bit.
    He open hand a LOT during earthspike but it's quick. Didn't level up to finger of death but I imagine that's the most animated his hand gets.

I love the items but this is the major issue I think...
    The hand looks very organic and grown in, the head does too. The shoulders feel more tacked on like a piece of armor. Maybe if they have growths into the chest/neck.
    The cape though, I think it makes that issue worse because now you have a piece of cloth in between lion and what seems like it should be a growth.
    Maybe you can extend the growth thing and have more of a webbed/demon wing kind of thing instead of cloth.

For the weapon I dig the crystals more. He has organic growth on him but why would the weapon? The color also separates it from him more.

Base mesh is done. Pretty much right on the polycount for all slots.
    Not sure if I really like the lamp where it is but my only other choice seems to be hanging from belt. Somewhat out of view and almost dragging on ground. It's part of the back slot (too low polycount for shoulder item to put it there), so in this space it won't conflict with the original shoulder slot bottle.

Flipped the swords around the right way and the rug will have some alpha frills hanging from front and back.

Djinn_Alch_Basemesh.jpg
  • KungFuPanda
    Ok so here is where I am with the storm development, I had 2 other directions as well but we (me and rocketalex) decided to go with the armor of Raijin.

Part of the research and development of the armor direction:
    research_and_exploration.jpg

And the more detailed development, there are curently 2 versions, with the high neck protection thing, and without, but the shoulder pads have protection for neck.. not sure which one is best yet but will explore other views as well (probably the large collar is most visible from in game view).
    final_direction.jpg

As for the face, there are 2 masks versions but keeping in mind his face is glowing all the time I am not sure how nice it will read in game. BTW, Raijin is usually represented like a blue, red or black ogre thing, that's why the masks look like that, same with the armor on his belly which needs an other round of development as well, I'm pretty sure it can be made to look and read better.
  • KungFuPanda
    @ stkopp I agree about the track thing, also, the 2 guys seem too naked.. also why do they have glowing ore in their wagon and not refreshment and supplies for the heroes ?

@ shock it's starting to look like a great concept, however, I would say be carefull with readability, the teeth will not be visible from all views, from in game view for example they may look like nothing.. maybe a few very large teeth? Same with the right shoulder, as others said, maybe simpler and larger is best ?

@ baddcog it's starting to look nice but how is the visibility of that in game? sorry but I can't find a concept for your back shield.. there is already in game a back item that looks sort of like that..

@ MDK yes bracer seems a bit plain.. but since your concept is making him a wizard.. maybe try and see some wizard / magician bracers? how do they look.. why.. what are they good for.. etc ?
  • DotaFX
  • KungFuPanda
    @DotaFx, what has wraith king to do with storm ? I don't get it. Different god, different representation, different style of armor different coloring.. What does that have to do with anything?
  • stkopp
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4
    @Baddcog
    Yap track is really needed If animator catches the idea, this 2 iron blocks will make interesting transition between characters

It is hard to explain, but this track will add more action and life to the courier. Just believe me :)

p.s I believe this will give more freedom in creation of secondary action (8 principle of animation) so as I said, because it is a transition between the characters, they can interact with each other in more interesting ways, not just "rolling the wagon"
    also why do they have glowing ore in their wagon and not refreshment and supplies for the heroes ?
    I dont know, maybe I'm sick of it...it's like "I'll put desolator in couriers/set pocket because it is cool" maybe I'm wrong, but I don't want to use any supplement in this courier.
  • agito666
    http://darkstalkers.wikia.com/wiki/Bishamon

you mean this? this thing exist way before gurren lagann
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kungfu,
    Yep, checked out the in game sets quite thoroughly and believe mine stands apart enough. 2 have round shields, one is steel rimmed with wood. This is a comparison of mine and the closest one... But it's jade and the swords profiles are quite a bit different. I didn't draw up a concept, just a basic Persian shield, much like the one in TF2. Steel base with gold trim...rough coloring
    alch_shield.jpg
    (I scaled down the shield a bit so the sword shapes are more noticeable)

I think it will read good in game, I tried to keep the base shape thick and chunky. There will be good contrast between pieces (orange carpet, purple alchemist, etc..)
    In my concept even the gold detail trim will be large defined shapes.

Regarding your concept:
    I think I like C the best. Mask, big collar, no belly face. Either way there is nothing in game like any of the concept so that's great, and all the items are cool. :D
    There is that WK set on the workshop I guess but that's no reason not to make it, and yours doesn't look like a clone. Plus that's a tourney set so I'd never buy it. ;)
    @stkopp, ah OK, now that you say that I actually have a pretty good image of how that could work well.
  • Nobiru
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobiru polycounter lvl 2
    Hey, guyz! I just finished back slot for Lich. What do you think about this?

f3-xUz9f4DA.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    @KungFu: Really cool concept! I'm working out a Disruptor set thats also drawing from Raijin for inspiration but it will be much different than yours :)
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the rough work and a quick test bake on the goblin's body.
    Now I'll bump up res, clean up and add smaller details like swirls to the fabric and thinking of hanging coins on his back (pretty plain atm)
    swami_basesculpt.jpg
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Just whacking away on this guy still
    LWgCJjI.png
  • SeeingTriangles
    I've been a bit busy since the Lunar New Year is coming, so there hasn't been much progress.
    I'm done with the baking. Not entirely happy with the result because there weren't enough polys for all of the details, but this will have to do for now. Also everything has LOD0 and LOD1 ready. I'm done with the texture on one of the two hairstyles. I learned some texturing techniques from watching Anuxi's stream and put it into practice, now I'm starting to enjoy doing the texture :) my wrist kinda hurt from all the mouse handling though.
    Here's how everything looks without normal. Is there anything I can do to improve the bake/texture? Sorry for the long post
    jnIf33M.png
    2uCRyjZ.png
    6byKIIs.pngPuQyQsq.png
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    EoHE0K4.png
    getting this coat cape baked out
  • oDD
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    design phase of my bristle back set
    bristleback.jpg
  • Nobiru
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobiru polycounter lvl 2
    Final sculpt of Lich set. Concept by Pipotchi.
    U5Lgb6U.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to decide on the back piece. I still like the shield better, think it has better lines but decided to try a sheath style too.
    The upside down blades make the sheath look wrong though imo. (looked better when I accidentally made it right side up the first time :P )

Opinions? (the new handle shapw on the sheath side will be used)
    sheath.jpg