UzYAuDv.jpg
eyHot9F.jpg
hCEOjYZ.jpg

HIGH POLY

judcPld.jpg

CONCEPT

J6ZWaOZ.jpg

UPDATED! :thumbup:

So this is going to be a portfolio piece. So far I have the high-poly done, about to start working on the low-poly. I’m not sure how I’m going to get on with the texturing, that’s an area I need to improve on :/ Pointers are welcome!

- Still have to add the cogs and gears
- Some parts need adjusting for the bake

Also, does anyone know the name of the concept artist?

Thanks!

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you have followed the concept pretty well so nice work. The cogs and gears look really cool behind the glass so I think they will add a lot to it as well when you add them in.
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the reply Mats!

I may have to divert from the concept if I want this to be functional in a fps - the gun having no iron sights and all. Although I suppose there are plenty of fps games that don't use them.

Does anyone know if this could go against me on my portfolio? i.e, appearing to have no consideration for functionality. Right now I think I'd rather stick to the concept.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looking pretty sweet,

Texturing wise the concept itself has subtly different types of metals. Some have a slight grit to it, others have a slightly different tone and roughness, looks like varying types of copper. Having some parts with the grittier/rougher looking metal surfaces in the normals could help like in the concept, the difference in grit is especially noticeable on the little paynes grey looking tank.

That, an AO map, and some passes on subtle edge wear/dirt/etc could help highlight certain details, especially in the areas of the small indents/patterns in the metal.

Painting in some things only in the roughness like smudges/dirt/scratches/and then even going over the spots as if someone tried to clean the weapon could also help in adding a bit of detail that would be seen at certain angles relevant to the light sources. You could do that in photoshop by hand, in DDO, or whatever you prefer, I've currently been messing around with substance painter which seems pretty nice for stuff like that.
  • Heather.Hughes
    Thanks for the reply Mats!

I may have to divert from the concept if I want this to be functional in a fps - the gun having no iron sights and all. Although I suppose there are plenty of fps games that don't use them.

Does anyone know if this could go against me on my portfolio? i.e, appearing to have no consideration for functionality. Right now I think I'd rather stick to the concept.

I'd stick with following the concept if it were me. It might look a bit off if it were something completely original and of your own design, but as long as the concept is displayed as well, I think people will understand any functionality oddness.
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick - Awesome, thanks for the texturing analysis. It'll help a lot! As for photoshop/DDO/substance, I might look into trying out substance painter. I've been really impressed with what I've seen.

Heather - Agreed, I'll stick to the concept. I wasn't to keen on removing the top two cylindrical tanks for iron sights as they're interesting features. Thanks.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    Your model looks reallyyy shweeeet. YOu really nailed the likeness of the concept.

As for texturing, I'd suggest taking a go at substance. The concept looks very pristine and new. It'd be cool if you dirtied and scuffed it up enough to make the gun look used!
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so back in action again after a busy week. :poly142:

I started to unwrap and bake a few parts yesterday. As I anticipated, I encountered some problems. As you can see from the high/low poly comparison, I adjusted the high-poly (slight slopes) so it would translate better onto the low-poly and to reduce my uv islands.

Should I be adding more control loops/geometry to account for the waviness? I don’t want to go overboard with tris on this section as the gun is currently at 23,000 tris. This leads me to two more questions:

Is this amount of skewing/waviness acceptable?
    Finally, I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but would 25,000 tris be regarded as too high for a next-gen weapon? Specifically as a portfolio piece.

Thanks!
    :

6CqMpmz.jpg
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished unwrapping and baking, now onto the texturing. I might give Substance a go on this one. Tri-count is just over 25,000.

Does anyone have advice on how to go about adding the liquid?

Also, i'm not too happy with the cogs and gears, but I didn't want to model them out on the low poly because it would have upped the tricount a lot. I might
    deviate from the concept and add something else inside.

Finally, any feedback is welcome. Destroy this piece if you must :poly121:

K7bGSQm.jpg
    qyZnbwQ.jpg
    q1IccRt.jpg
    j2lWs8e.jpg
    8vRVenu.jpg
    FyHNMsV.jpg
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Im really digging the gun man! Im tackling my first pbr gun myself so I'm with ya in this venture :-D But bck to your model. The waviness is definitely noticeable. The beveling and more geo is how Id go about fixing it but maybe there's another way? I cant really see anything I'd personally change. I could say something but thatd be me saying something to say it. Keep up the good work! Im interested in seeing how you'll tackle the liquid in the tubes
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chase - Thanks man! I've been looking forward to the texturing, plenty of information to take in. As for the waviness, do you mean it's noticeable in my latest update? I bumped up the geo and reduced the skewing in most areas. If you/or anyone can notice it anywhere else, please let me know! I feel like I've been looking at this model for so long I may be overlooking certain things.
  • Ramborf70
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramborf70 polycounter lvl 2
    @ElectricEchoes Charles !!!!!cant wait for the texturing its going to be brilliant!everything looks to be in order :D
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ramborf!

A few questions for anyone willing to help.

I've updated my first post (texturing - metalness workflow), but I've ran into a problem. I initially tried using real world values for copper and brass, but I didn't like the result when compared to the concept. Is it okay to deviate from these values? I'm guessing it isn't, but in this case the values didn't match the concept's style. I pretty much did it by eye :poly122:

If you have any other feedback please say. Texturing is an area I really need to work on. :(
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Real world measured values are just a baseline. The artist can make decisions to change these values however they wish. A word of warning, though: whenever you make a large color change, check the result in a variety of lighting conditions to make sure it always looks good. Sometimes you get caught up in a particular lighting environment and make it look good there, but then it looks all weird in other environments.
  • Thundergod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gun looks really neat and I'm liking the choice of copper as a material. But I think it looks a bit too clean, a little bit of grit and dirt would do it some good, I think.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    My bad Electric, I didn't notice the updated image without the waviness :D
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies. I'll be adding more grit and dirt as I move along, I don't want to overdo it though as I'm trying to stick to the concept - within reason. It's been a tricky piece to texture so far.
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just shamelessly bumping this up because I'm in need of help. If anyone has any tips on the texturing I'd appreciate it greatly, particularly the aged brass.

Here are my maps :poly142::

wEn8jnf.jpg
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking of calling this done now (although I'll adjust if anyone spots anything). I've added some wear, tear, and dirt, without going over board. Overall I'm happy enough with the result and got to learn a bit about PBR. Now to the next project! Thanks for looking. (First post is updated with more images and maps). :thumbup:

UzYAuDv.jpg
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Well that brass looks pretty daen good to me. And the liquid looks great too. Congrats!
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chase :) I probably could get the liquid looking better, but it's hard to get right. Look forward to seeing your's finished.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Some really nice attention to detail in this project. Great job! Only critique would be that I feel like the handle looks a bit flat in the renders. Maybe pushing the spec a little more throughout the whole weapon would help give it a bit more shape. Clean copper gets an almost blinding white spec shine, worn copper is a little less intense but still gets a bit more shine than you have I think. Just a thought!
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Nick! I'll see what I can do on the handle. I'm not sure how I would go about adding the spec shine with the metalness workflow. If I brighten the gloss map the texture just doesn't look right, parts look too reflective.