Realism/Likeness - Lagertha from Vikings

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
fabiomsilva polycounter lvl 8
Hi y'all

has been a long time since i've looked for feedback on forums for something,
but i think this would be a great change to do it. I'm trying to push my
sculpting(and later on) rendering skills to see if i can achieve better
photorealistic results, and i guess this would be a good place to look for feedback.

im on the process of sculpting Lagertha as ive just
finished watching Vikings season 1 and i found that she
would be a good try since she is beautiful yet some of
her facial features are a bit extreme(and very asymetric).

there's quite still a few things off but i'm at
that point where im back and forth(maybe ive been looking at her for too long. If you guys could give me some feedback
on this would be great!

lagawip.jpg

lagawip.jpg

thanks!

Replies

• fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DarkStar
  • Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    DarkStar wrote: »
    Well done!
    Indeed!
    Maybe the pores are a bit monochromatic?
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks guys!
    Grubber - now sure what you mean with monochromatic pores? :O u mean theyre all the same scale?

here's today's update!
    feedback welcome as always! :)

lagawip4forum.jpg

x2Crj6l.jpg?1
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lagawip5.jpg

here's today's update. i feel i made some progress, but also i think i went backwards in a few things. what you guys think?
    i definitly not happy with 3/4 view or sideview yet

Fdmmwcd.jpg?1
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    The side view from before you started messing with asymmetry is a lot nicer. I feel like the nose is a bit flat in the latest one, pointing out too far. Look at comparing the bridge and septum.
  • Ervin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ervin polycounter lvl 7
    I agree that the side view in the OP is better. Great over all thought, looking forward to the finished product.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Looking very nice. I'd wonder if her nose is just a bit large overall? (Also, great subject matter. She's awesome and smoking hot on the show.)
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QmGXNxb.gif

thanks guys! glad to see you guys like it so far and im very thankful for all the feedback.
    ive been reworking the profile view...but didnt change much..(i guess it was already close?) i noticed that the nose side needs to lift a bit up and that the lips may need to be a bit fuller. the chin is a mistery..

also need to make the eyes a bit more straight i guess

c&C super welcome as usual
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    The eye and the ear needs some love, but great job so far! Keep it up, I'll be following :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    That shot of her from the side is not directly on. Her face is rotated towards the camera a bit, which is why you can see her opposite eyebrow, so it's throwing your nose profile (and everything else you're matching) off, I agree with the others that it was better before.

The problem with aligning to refs like that is you have to account for not only direction, but FOV. If you're doing this with perspective turned off, or with a different FOV than the photo, then you're forcing your model to become innacurate, since the 2d photo and the 3d model will not be 1-1 representations of eachother.

Working with refs is much better if you put them off to the side, and learn to match proportion and shape by eye, which is what I would suggest, it's a skill all 3d artists should have.
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys.
    ysalex - i agree completly, which is why i wasnt using aligning refs(other than testing it in the image above, mostly for forums) everything else i did was by eye and measuring using local references and distances between them(eg> from the corner of the eye, its one eye measure to the other eye, the face is 5 eyes tall etc. and so far it gave me the best results(so basically i have discarded the changes i did on that image above to be honest. its defniitly evil. and yes i noticed its not straight on. i got another one(sideview) that im using as reference that seems a bit better and a bit more ortohraphic.
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tonight's update...just trusting my eyes didnt re-measure it(gotta do it before i go to sleep) but here goes nothing

a6snuFE.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I'm digging this one a lot more. You're getting there.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j.pears polycounter lvl 4
    really looking forward to see this one progress. looking great so far
  • CloDevious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God, I want those earrings, but yeah awesome work so far can't wait to see her all done!
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks guys!
    ive started working on the textures a little bit(and rendering tests)

ttkdjA8.jpg
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!
    here's some more work in the texturing. i have cut her eyes because right now theyre a bit of a distraction from the rest of the skin
    im also tweaking her the nose a bit in the next iteration as i think its too wide(and the tone is a bit too red/dark atm as well. Im also tweaking the specular values on the next one as its a bit too glossy atm.

ArBomwQ.jpg?1
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How are you texturing and rendering this? O.o This is getting awesome!
  • codyaq2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    codyaq2 greentooth
    Curious to see your lighting setup for this, lights plus HDRI?
    Im assuming you are using VRay
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Holy crap! Instant sub. Cant wait for more images!
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    most excellent
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    You have come a mighty long way. Damn! Straight to inspiration.
  • PPBle 3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work Fabio!
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks guys!
    I'm working hard on the skin texture and eyes. Hopefully ill be able to post an update soon.

PPBle 3D - thank you!

Stirls - hey thanks Man! Really glad you like it.

pongstah - thanks!

Mr Significant - Thanks! Hope to release more soon.

codyaq2 - Hey! It's my first time using Vray for a project(well, along with another one im building at the same time) so im still just fooling around. Right now im using a 5 light setup(one of them for reflections and another one for hdri). All vray lights.

JadeEyePanda - thanks for the kind words :) I'm using Mari to texture and Vray to render.
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys! here's an update, probably the last one for this year. I've been busy re-doing all the body uvs(and some on the eyes too as i didnt have enough resolution on the eyelids) so that was quite painful process as my mesh on zbrush kept exploding.
    once i got that out of the way, i textured her full body and now im gonna sculpt her body and tweak her face just a tiny bit. I done a lot of work on the eyes, but im still getting a weird reflection. i want to get that fixed before i post it

anyways, here's the update, started sculpting the body, laying down some basic anatomy in there. i think her arms are a bit thin at the moment.

La8mkw7.jpg

hope you like the update! c&C welcome as usual.

ps: happy new year!
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's another update , eyes, and skin. eyelashes are temporary as im still using the ones i did for another model im currently working on. the skin is being quite difficult to tackle. i am definitly not there yet.

E8Ygaik.jpg

KcCUKgx.jpg

and here is an older version with dark war makeup as she has(the eyes were older version and they were smaller too). just wondering what you guys thing

ldDy66t.jpg
  • steber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff. I'd suggest getting some eyebrows in there - people are always gonna look a bit like aliens unless there are eyebrows in there. Keep at it - looking forward to seeing where this is heading!
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    I think the edge of the lip texture could be sharper. It's looking kinda blurry and soft at the moment.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Seems like some specular/diffuse/sss/bump/dirt problems all mixing together. Might be easier to help if you explained your workflow?

Sorta looks like you texture projected photos for the diffuse, used the diffuse to drive a bump/displacement (I guess would be why you have inverted freckles on the left (our left) side of the face, and possibly why she looks a little chalky.

Anyways, if that's not whats going on, knowing the process so far would be a help.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe too much on the eye shadow, but the head is creepy good. As in, pulling out of the uncanny valley and straight into awesome, keep up the good work!
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing, can't wait to see how you do the hair :)
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys thanks for all the nice words and c&C!

locater 16 - thanks so much!
    Holly Mellor - thank you!

ive worked a bit more on her skin and body. I've toned down the makeup for now for a more naturalistic approach(i might come back to the heavy war makeup in the future or something in between, but right now i felt like this is probably an easier way to test the skin. Speaking of which right now im doing heavy experimenting with the skin shader. I wasnt happy with what i had. Hope to post more on that soon. I've also fixed some maps on the nose, and the lip texture(thanks BillyMcguffin).

Ysalex- thanks man,Currently because i guess to save the render, the moles and freckles are still inverted in the bumpmap(this is fixed in current version, but not in the version im posting down here). The reason why i was using an instance of my color map into bump was simply because of memory consumption and rendertimes. i didnt want my render times to escalate so quickly for my test renders. they were taking about 7 minutes and with the proper bump theyre taking 25! so for the momemnt i might go back to just use the instance while im playing around with the shader.

I've also added some temporary eyebrows, they dont match Winnick's ones yet and right now theyre just part of the texture. I actually plan to make them proper hair in the future. But at least she should look a bit more familiar now that she actually has some brows. - thanks Steber

hope you like it! cheers and keep those nice feedback coming!

By the way, anyone knows how to reduce the grain in my skin shader when i turn GI on?(im using vrayfast SSS2) ive turned my gi way up there but the grain is still terrible. increasing the scatter sudvs didnt help at all in the skinshader either :/

UjtnehV.jpg

a5Jd2l0.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    there are still some issues with the head sculpt that are basically being disguised by your textures now. you really need to look at the edge of the nostril/cheek transition, that's a big area that you can still pick up on in the fancy renders. Same thing goes for the fatty area above the top lip.
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Almigty_gir, thanks for your feedback. Tho could you please be a bit more specific on how its not working? Im unsure of what u mean its wrong

thanks
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking good fabio, Can't wait to see it finished!
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks!

here's an update on the skin shader. hopefully it will be a bit more realistic now. I'm still trying to get the specular correct. Right now im only using hdr lighting. For some reason my spec values on vray dont seem to match the intensity shown in the reflective sphere(althought the eyes reflection seem very dim in comparison.) i dunno whats going on.

3hr5Ffe.jpg
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    today's update. Tweaked the face further. I think its matching Kathyrin Winnick's quite a bit more now. Have to fix the ear tho. Been playing a bit too much in photoshop and the image got kinda greenish...apologies for that. tomorrow's render should be more neutral.
    c&C welcome as always.!

SsCeTzC.jpg
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's today's update on the skin and some small tweaks on her face.
    u3qCWDK.jpg
  • KingKellogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    That is amazing. Seriously.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    looking pretty cool, the renderings have a nice feel to them. one thing that is bothering me a bit is that it seems like the size of the iris might be a little small
  • martygalinskas3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martygalinskas3d polycounter lvl 4
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    looking pretty cool, the renderings have a nice feel to them. one thing that is bothering me a bit is that it seems like the size of the iris might be a little small

i was gonna say the same thing.
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys! I'll measure the irisis again, but last time i checked they seemed correct.

here's a small update. started the clothes. (very blocky at the moment). trying to find a good solution for the chainmail, but its proving to be very tricky

W2tjv73.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    So glad your back onto this; was showing guys at work today..

Look at using micromesh for your chainmail; itll save your life ;)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?183429-Customized-Chainmail-for-MicroMesh
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg Dave , thanks a lot for the suggestion! you're a life saver.
    I was testing some particles to scatter my chainmail, was working ok(slooow), but the micromesh method is waaaaay better!! :D i had no clue about this tecnicque its awesome!!!!

SPgpZk6.jpg
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
    Great work! The only thing that bothers me is her skull. It looks like alien to me.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha no problem glad I could help. May I ask however, what matcap are you using I see those quite often and wondered if it's a presentation set or something
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on the latest images from Zbrush I'm using "basic material 2" that comes with zbrush.(and turn a bit the sss option of that material) :)
  • fabiomsilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meanwhile, ive made the shield basemesh. getting it ready for some zbrush detailing(still need to add the belt buckle tho)

Krzlli1.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meanwhile, ive made the shield basemesh. getting it ready for some zbrush detailing(still need to add the belt buckle tho)

Krzlli1.jpg

Looking good! I know the noob challenge did a series of Viking shields for their prop challenge if you wanted some inspiration; in regards to the matcap I was referring to the skintone like one, the sorta beige/red.